Youngstown, OH - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1958 Old 09-14-2005, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been having trouble this week with 33.1 (WYTV-DT). My signal strength is around 50-60% on my Dish 811 HD reciever with OTA capabilities. Normally, its in the 80-90% range. I'm getting constant dropouts with no sound.

Does anybody know if they're doing work on their transmitter?

I'm in Hermitage, PA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1958 Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post

How much more power does your stations have, because I have know problem receiving them?

We're 200 kW.
post #93 of 1958 Old 10-21-2005, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like WNEO-DT will soon be transmitting 3 SD channels during the day. PBS HD programming will be presented only during primetime hours.

Tony
post #94 of 1958 Old 10-24-2005, 02:35 PM

You are correct. WNEO-DT and WEAO-DT (45 and 50) have temporarily discontinued our HD service. This is a technical and legal issue. When we have the technical problems resolved (aiming for November 5) we'll return with three channels from midnight until 7pm, and a HD and SD channel from 7pm until midnight. Channel 1 will be our HD service. Channel 2 will remain as our digital rebroadcast of our analog service. Channel 3 will be our Information & Education service (INFOTV), blending CPB/Annenberg programs with rebroadcasts of PBS prime-time shows and school age kids shows. Channel 4 will be The Ohio Channel, which provides live coverage of the Ohio House and Senate, committee hearings and government issues, along with public affairs programs produced by PBS stations around Ohio.
We're sorry that we've been forced to temporarily drop the HD channel. It will return as quickly as we can resolve our switcher issues.
post #95 of 1958 Old 10-24-2005, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBS4549 View Post

You are correct. WNEO-DT and WEAO-DT (45 and 50) have temporarily discontinued our HD service. This is a technical and legal issue...

Thanks PBS4549 for the information. I can't say I'm happy with the decision to increase multicasting at the expense of HD programming. I doubt it was the technical folks at the station that made the decision.

Hopefully PBS HD programming will return on 11/5/05.

Tony
post #96 of 1958 Old 10-25-2005, 06:30 AM

I guess I should have identified myself so you know that the information that I provided is correct. Sorry I didn't do that in my original posting.

post #97 of 1958 Old 10-25-2005, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

A link to an interesting article that may explain some of the comments made by PBS4549

http://www.current.org/dtv/dtv0517hdtv.shtml

Tony
post #98 of 1958 Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Don, thanks for joining us and for posting the information.

I copied your message over to the Cleveland thread, and you might wanna keep an eye on that for the future for us Akron/Canton-area types:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=287017
post #99 of 1958 Old 10-31-2005, 10:26 AM

Hi,

I just got HD and I have Adelphia in Sharon, Pennsylvania, north of Pittsburgh.
Of all the major networks, we only have CBS HD.
I was just wondering if any knows if / when we will be getting NBC, ABC, FOX, WB, UPN, etc???
I asked Adelphia and they didn't really know when we don't have the other networks?
Anyone else have Adelphia or live in my region?

Thanks in advance.
Rich T.
post #100 of 1958 Old 10-31-2005, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldjice View Post

There will be changes starting in about March or so...as Adelphia gets swallowed up by Comcast and Time Warner.

I don't have any idea who gets your Adelphia system...if it goes to TWC with the Youngstown area systems, or if it goes to Comcast with their Pittsburgh area systems.

I have Adelphia, out of their Cleveland hub...and we have all the local OTA network affiliates except for UPN and WB*. It took us a while to get the CBS affiliate, but we have it now, and I'm assuming they don't have the UPN affiliate for technical reasons...since it's owned by the same people as the CBS affiliate here.

* - WB is missing in HD only because our local WB affiliate is not even on the air digitally, so it's not Adelphia's problem.
post #101 of 1958 Old 11-01-2005, 05:10 AM

INUNDATED, Thanks for the info.

I have a question about OTA free HD.
My TV is HD Ready, but NOT HD built-in.
If I put an external antenna outside and put it into my Adelphia HD set-top-box, will I get the free OTA HD in true HD?
I can put an antenna on my house and just run it into the "ANT IN" on the back of my HD STB.
Will this work?
Thanks in advance!
post #102 of 1958 Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 AM

Good Morning~
My name is Tiffany and I am a Marketing Coordinator for Time Warner Cable, Northeast Ohio Division. I recently joined this forum to provide assistance for those that have questions about our HD service or are experiencing HD problems. Please feel free to PM me with any issues and I will do my best to address them. I am by no means a technical person, but I will be able to find the right person to resolve any issues.

Tiffany Raines
Marketing Coordinator
Time Warner Cable
Northeast Ohio Division
post #103 of 1958 Old 11-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

INUNDATED, Thanks for the info.

I have a question about OTA free HD.
My TV is HD Ready, but NOT HD built-in.
If I put an external antenna outside and put it into my Adelphia HD set-top-box, will I get the free OTA HD in true HD?
I can put an antenna on my house and just run it into the "ANT IN" on the back of my HD STB.
Will this work?
Thanks in advance!

Sorry but no. The cable companies use an encoding method called QAM. OTA uses 8VSB.
post #104 of 1958 Old 11-01-2005, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post

Sorry but no. The cable companies use an encoding method called QAM. OTA uses 8VSB.

Which, of course, means that the OP would have to buy an OTA decoder to get the stations. I believe Radio Shack had one recently for under $150...

In the Youngstown market, as only 2 of the local stations are even up in HD. The straggler is WKBN/27, for some reason. Since he's in Sharon, he might have a chance at Pittsburgh with a good antenna.
post #105 of 1958 Old 11-01-2005, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC-NEOhio View Post

Good Morning~
My name is Tiffany and I am a Marketing Coordinator for Time Warner Cable, Northeast Ohio Division. I recently joined this forum to provide assistance for those that have questions about our HD service or are experiencing HD problems. Please feel free to PM me with any issues and I will do my best to address them. I am by no means a technical person, but I will be able to find the right person to resolve any issues.

Welcome Tiffany. Glad to have you on the forum.
post #106 of 1958 Old 11-01-2005, 02:55 PM

Got a question?

What is a dual tuner?
post #107 of 1958 Old 11-02-2005, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdswimm View Post

Got a question?

What is a dual tuner?

In the context of this forum, it would be a TV capable of receiving both digital and analog stations. A dual tuner can give you the opportunity to have picture-in-picture.
post #108 of 1958 Old 11-02-2005, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdswimm View Post

Got a question?

What is a dual tuner?

My SA 8300 DVR(provided by Time Warner Cable) has two digital tuners. I can record two different HD programs at the same time. It comes in quite handy. Last night at 9 PM I recorded Rome on HBO HD and House on Fox HD on the 8300 while I watched Supernatural on 21.2(the WB) out of Youngstown using another OTA tuner I have in my Home Theater PC. Technology is great.
Steve
post #109 of 1958 Old 11-02-2005, 06:07 AM

Quote:

In the Youngstown market, as only 2 of the local stations are even up in HD. The straggler is WKBN/27, for some reason.

Would anyone have any recent info on this?

Regards,
Tandias
post #110 of 1958 Old 11-02-2005, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandias View Post

Would anyone have any recent info on this?

Regards,
Tandias

They don't own their tower anymore. They have people on site now doing upgrades before they can install the DTV antenna, but scheduling and completion is not under control of the station so be patient.
post #111 of 1958 Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Hi,

I just got HD and I have Adelphia in Sharon, Pennsylvania, north of Pittsburgh.
Of all the major networks, we only have CBS HD.
I was just wondering if any knows if / when we will be getting NBC, ABC, FOX, WB, UPN, etc???
I asked Adelphia and they didn't really know when we don't have the other networks?

Thanks in advance.
Rich T.

where at in Sharon are you located?? i'm on the north side of town.

i gave up on Adelphia years ago when i first got Primestar then was switched to DirecTV when Primestar was bought out. now i cringe whenever i watch Adelphia cable at someones house.

I may be wrong but I'm not wrong long.
post #112 of 1958 Old 11-07-2005, 06:42 PM

Can anyone explain why WYTV cant keep an HD feed going for Monday Night Football? Every week it is on and off, this week (Colts @ NE) it is non existent
post #113 of 1958 Old 11-08-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post

where at in Sharon are you located?? i'm on the north side of town.

i gave up on Adelphia years ago when i first got Primestar then was switched to DirecTV when Primestar was bought out. now i cringe whenever i watch Adelphia cable at someones house.

Nick G,
I live in Sharon right by East State St. near the high school, before you get into HERMITAGE.
So far, I love ADELPHIA CABLE HD, I just wish we had more of the major networks.
All we have is CBS. I want ABC, NBC, FOX, and UPN in HD!
Anyone know when we will get FOX SPORTS in HD? It's on the GUIDE but there are no shows on it???

Thanks,
Rich T.
post #114 of 1958 Old 11-08-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Nick G,
I live in Sharon right by East State St. near the high school, before you get into HERMITAGE.
So far, I love ADELPHIA CABLE HD, I just wish we had more of the major networks.
Anyone know when we will get FOX SPORTS in HD? It's on the GUIDE but there are no shows on it???

i must admit i haven't seen Adelphia Cable HD as of yet and don't know anyone who has it so i can't comment on the video or audio quality. but i still don't see myself giving up DirecTV for it any time before i pass on to the nether world.

Sharon High School, ye olde alma mater!!

I may be wrong but I'm not wrong long.
post #115 of 1958 Old 11-09-2005, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have an update as to when HDTV transmissions will begin again on WNEO-DT? 11/5/05 has come and gone.

I miss NOVA in HDTV!

Tony
post #116 of 1958 Old 11-09-2005, 05:24 PM

Is anyone getting wytv-dt? It has been a week. Any info at all?
regards,
Tandias
post #117 of 1958 Old 11-12-2005, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Nick G,

Thanks,
Rich T.

cooldjice,

I MAY have an answer for you. I live near New Wilmington, PA(Pulaski actually). I also have Adelphia cable.

Now the office where my bills are sent come from the Sharon, PA office, and my channel line-up is the one from the Sharon channel lineup like you. The Sharon office does the service for BOTH New Wilmington, PA and Sharon, PA.

But if you went to the Adelphia website, you would notice that the New Wilm. lineup is different than the Sharon, PA lineup. The New Wilm. lineup contains not only KDKA/CBS out of the Burgh, but also WPXI/NBC, and WTAE/ABC out of the Burgh, while the Sharon line-up does not.

We receive(Sharon Line-up) which has WYFX/Fox out of Youngstown/Masury, and FoxSports Ohio to name 2.

Here are links to BOTH lineups(New Castle first), and you can see the differences:

http://www.adelphia.com/cable_entert...l_line_ups.cfm

http://www.adelphia.com/cable_entert...l_line_ups.cfm

Basically what I am telling you is that someone/somewhere drew a LINE and said "Certain Pittsburgh stations can't go beyond this point on a cable service", and unfortunately SHARON, PA is that LINE(or West Middlesex).

Even though I receive my cable line-up from Sharon, I can still receive via CLEAR QAM on my LG LST-4200A from my cable KDKA/CBS, WPXI/NBC, WTAE/ABC, and WQED/PBS(which you are SUPPOSED to receive, but don't. It is in the Sharon line-up) through my HD STB.

Your local stations are, BY LAW, supposed be sent in the CLEAR by your local cable co. There are ways around it, but most do send them in the Clear(not all though). As long as you get the expanded basic, you are entitled to them. They can't charge you for them. ESPNHD/HBOHD/INHD/INHD2/TNTHD/Etc... Yes they can. Absolutely. But not the OTA stations like PBS/CBS/ABC/NBC/WB/UPN/Etc...

Where I live is the LINE. If you ever looked at DirecTV, and asked them to print a LOCAL channel lineup for your zip code(16148 I think?) you would get the Youngstown stations. My zipcode(16143) is the END OF THE LINE for Burgh stations, and those are the locals I would receive. If I wanted the ones out of YTown or Ohio, I would need an antenna. My zipcode is the end of the line for receiving Burgh stations.

Your best bet to get more stations is to get a big antenna and an HD STB.

Someone drew a line, and unfortunately, you are on the wrong side of it to receive the other Burgh HD stations. Albeit just ONE small step on the wrong side of it.
post #118 of 1958 Old 11-13-2005, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC-NEOhio View Post

Good Morning~

Tiffany,

I have a question, but it is not technical. Hopefully either you, or someone else can provide an answer .

Living in NW Pennsylvania(between New Wilmington, PA and Sharon, PA) we have Adelphia cable.

Now since Adelphia has been bought out by BOTH Time Warner and Comcast I was wondering do you know who will be taking over Adelphia in this area?

Just across the border from me(In Boardman, OH and Niles, OH), which I believe is part of your territory, it appears as if Time Warner is the dominant provider.

However, if you went about 30 minutes south of me, near Beaver Falls, PA and closer to Pittsburgh, PA, Comcast is dominant.

I was just wondering WHO will be taking over for my area? Or has that NOT been hammered out yet?

No one has actually taken a map and drew a line and said,"Comcast you go here, and Time Warner you go here" yet, have they?

It would just be nice to know what type of channel lineup(and service's available which is MOST important), costs, I as an existing Adelphia customer can look forward to receiving from either service.

Thank You in Advance
post #119 of 1958 Old 11-13-2005, 01:59 PM

If anyone has TWCable the WYTV HD feed CH 533 is just a SD feed. The analog feed on Ch 5 on the Salem/Lisbon system has always looked dark. I havent heard anything about when WYTV will get there HD Feed back up and running. Also WNEO HD feed is still the SD of WNEO HD on CH 549. Analog Upcovert is still on CH 550. But watch WYTV on the digital side looks great I wish TWCable would add the SD digital feed of them all that would be great.
post #120 of 1958 Old 11-13-2005, 02:01 PM

Anyone with cable. How does WBCB look on your cable system? I have TWCable and sometimes it looks horrible.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page