Youngstown, OH - HDTV - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1958 Old 02-21-2008, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Boardman should be fine then, if its that good out in Vienna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1958 Old 02-21-2008, 01:47 PM

You should have no problem steelersfan. I'm about 58 miles from the tower and you're probably a few miles closer.

If you set that up, feel free to post back here and tell how it worked. I'm just curious if it will work for you as good as it did for me. Good luck.
post #1263 of 1958 Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 AM

I got my hands on the Zenith coupon eligible converter box. So far it has been very impressive. I have one TV in my kitchen with the rod type rabbit ears that they used to ship with the TV. They are on a plastic post that slips into a hole on the back of the set.

Last night I took the Zenith stb home and attached it to the kitchen TV. I didn't touch the alignment of the antenna and used the RF out of the stb on ch 3 into the TV.

I live about 6 miles from WFMJ, WYTV, WKBN and about 15 miles from WNEO. I am able to get slightly ghosty pictures from the Youngstown stations and a very snowy picture from WNEO in Salem. I have to adjust the antenna for each station otherwise the picture fades, ghosts, and the audio gets noisey when I move around the kitchen.

After the Zenith did it's auto scan I was able to get all the above stations perfectly with no breakups without moving the antenna. The Zenith has a signal meter that showed almost full scale in the "GOOD" zone on all channels. I adjusted the rabbit ears to optimize the digital signal level and got pretty much unwatchable pictures on analog.

In other words the Zenith box impressed me. It has RF out and video/stereo audio outputs. The EPG is simple and shows "now" and "next". It has all the closed captioning. It does NOT have an analog tuner and does NOT have a QAM tuner. It's also pretty small - about 9" wide and 6" deep. It does come with a remote which I think can be programmed to your TV set, but I haven't done that, mainly because I didn't read the manual.
post #1264 of 1958 Old 02-25-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21CHIEF View Post

I got my hands on the Zenith coupon eligible converter box. So far it has been very impressive. I have one TV in my kitchen with the rod type rabbit ears that they used to ship with the TV. They are on a plastic post that slips into a hole on the back of the set.

Last night I took the Zenith stb home and attached it to the kitchen TV. I didn't touch the alignment of the antenna and used the RF out of the stb on ch 3 into the TV.

I live about 6 miles from WFMJ, WYTV, WKBN and about 15 miles from WNEO. I am able to get slightly ghosty pictures from the Youngstown stations and a very snowy picture from WNEO in Salem. I have to adjust the antenna for each station otherwise the picture fades, ghosts, and the audio gets noisey when I move around the kitchen.

After the Zenith did it's auto scan I was able to get all the above stations perfectly with no breakups without moving the antenna. The Zenith has a signal meter that showed almost full scale in the "GOOD" zone on all channels. I adjusted the rabbit ears to optimize the digital signal level and got pretty much unwatchable pictures on analog.

In other words the Zenith box impressed me. It has RF out and video/stereo audio outputs. The EPG is simple and shows "now" and "next". It has all the closed captioning. It does NOT have an analog tuner and does NOT have a QAM tuner. It's also pretty small - about 9" wide and 6" deep. It does come with a remote which I think can be programmed to your TV set, but I haven't done that, mainly because I didn't read the manual.

May I ask where you got the Zenith box? I just bought the Magnavox box from Walley World and for the most part it picks up all of the Youngstown stations but that was about it. Overall it is ok but the remote is not programmable, I have to use a seperate remote for the converter, and I have to turn the box on before I use it. Since it cost only $9.95 plus tax after the converter box coupon, it gets you digital television but that is about it.
post #1265 of 1958 Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

May I ask where you got the Zenith box? I just bought the Magnavox box from Walley World and for the most part it picks up all of the Youngstown stations but that was about it. Overall it is ok but the remote is not programmable, I have to use a seperate remote for the converter, and I have to turn the box on before I use it. Since it cost only $9.95 plus tax after the converter box coupon, it gets you digital television but that is about it.

We got the Zenith box from the National Association of Broadcasters as part of the education program. It's the DTT900. A quick check of Circuit City online shows it in stock in Boardman & Niles.
post #1266 of 1958 Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 AM

Since WFMJ is preempting The Biggest Loser and quarterlife for the MSNBC debate in Cleveland, will these programs air at another time or will not air at all. I know WKYC in Cleveland is planning to air both shows Saturday night replacing 3 repeats of Law & Order but what are WFMJ's plans?
post #1267 of 1958 Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

Since WFMJ is preempting The Biggest Loser and quarterlife for the MSNBC debate in Cleveland, will these programs air at another time or will not air at all. I know WKYC in Cleveland is planning to air both shows Saturday night replacing 3 repeats of Law & Order but what are WFMJ's plans?

We will air Quarterlife as scheduled and run Loser Saturday night 8P - 10P.
post #1268 of 1958 Old 02-26-2008, 03:32 PM

Will the debate be broadcast in HD? Nightly News is, so I'd like to assume the debate will be, as well.
post #1269 of 1958 Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone noticed that 27.2 seems to be the widescreen broadcast, only cropped? I noticed this first on a commercial a few nights ago, where part of the logo for... whatever it was that was being advertised, I can't remember now... was chopped off. Also, last night when I was watching American Idol and the poll results came up toward the end of the show, they zoomed the picture out a bit to make room for the Decision 08 banner, and then I could see the FOX bug, except all you could see was FO.

Is there any hope of FOX 17/62 going HD anytime in the near future? I enjoy a lot of programming on FOX, and I REALLY want to be able to see HD on it.

Thanks!
post #1270 of 1958 Old 03-05-2008, 02:06 PM

You didn't mention where you live. It may be possible for you to receive WJW-DT, channel 8.1 (actual channel 31) from Cleveland or WPGH-DT, channel 53.1 (actual channel 43) from Pittsburgh. Both are Fox affiliates, and their signals are receivable in many Youngstown area communities with the proper antenna system.
post #1271 of 1958 Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post

You didn't mention where you live. It may be possible for you to receive WJW-DT, channel 8.1 (actual channel 31) from Cleveland or WPGH-DT, channel 53.1 (actual channel 43) from Pittsburgh. Both are Fox affiliates, and their signals are receivable in many Youngstown area communities with the proper antenna system.

I live in Greenville, PA. I have an antenna that I built myself, that does a pretty good job of receiving all of the Youngstown stations with no dropouts. I've been thinking of getting a stronger amplifier to try getting one of those other FOX stations, but I just haven't done it yet.
post #1272 of 1958 Old 03-07-2008, 04:58 PM

The Pittsburgh stations are 60+ miles from Greenville, and the Cleveland stations are 70+ miles from Greenville. The Erie stations are 50+ miles from Greenville. In order to have a chance at receiving anything other than Youngstown stations, you'll need to be on high ground. The only preamp I'd consider at your location is the Channel Master 7777 used in conjunction with a Channel Master 4228 8-bay UHF antenna or an Antennas Direct 91XG UHF antenna. You can enter your exact address at AntennaWeb and TV Fool to see what your potential channels are.
post #1273 of 1958 Old 03-07-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post

The Pittsburgh stations are 60+ miles from Greenville, and the Cleveland stations are 70+ miles from Greenville. The Erie stations are 50+ miles from Greenville. In order to have a chance at receiving anything other than Youngstown stations, you'll need to be on high ground. The only preamp I'd consider at your location is the Channel Master 7777 used in conjunction with a Channel Master 4228 8-bay UHF antenna or an Antennas Direct 91XG UHF antenna. You can enter your exact address at AntennaWeb and TV Fool to see what your potential channels are.

Thanks for the info, though I already knew most of that.

This is my antenna;

It works pretty well. I built it using information I found on the Lumenlab forum, and I get all of the Youngstown stations with decent signal strength, even in storms. It does better in my attic than the 2-bay aerial on my roof. My signal improved nearly 30% when I started using it!

The problem is, I'm not on high ground. AntennaWeb gives me no hope of getting the Pittsburgh channels, while TV Fool says I have a very slim chance of possibly getting KDKA. I may try the CM7777. I've been thinking about it for a while, just haven't done it yet.

Now that I hear 24 is going to have a prequel in the fall, I NEED FOX HD!

Thanks again!
post #1274 of 1958 Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 PM

Nice job on the DB8 clone! If you add a 7777, you may be able to receive PBS channel 45, WNEO-DT. Its digital signal is broadcast on channel 46. The transmitter is actually 3 miles west of Salem, about 10 miles east of Alliance, which is the city of license.
post #1275 of 1958 Old 03-16-2008, 05:38 AM

I'm watching the Sunday Today show and it's NOT in HD. Any idea why? I see this happens at time to other OTA stations on occassion where they should be in HD and are not
post #1276 of 1958 Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The most disturbing thing about WYFX not being in HD is that Time Warner in Trumbull County provides WYFX to their subscribers with a high-definition feed. I understand that for OTA broadcasts of major events, WKBN switches off their HD feed to allow WYFX to broadcast.

So why does Time Warner get 24/7 access to a WYFX feed in high definition, but those of us with OTA or Comcast (Columbiana County) aren't given access to this feed? With Fox carrying the NFL, MLB, NASCAR and the major bowl games, it's a little disheartening to know that the local station doesn't give us access to this programs in the highest possible quality.

Also, WFMJ spent all of today (until 15 minutes before 5:00 pm) letting the entire region know that Trumbull County had a flood warning (something none of the other networks did). This resulted in 3/4ths of the Arnold Palmer Golf Tournament and ALL of the Penguins game to be broadcast in standard definition with the weather map blocking out a good chunk of the shot (which was a problem for the golf match as you couldn't actually see the players hit the ball).

Did someone forget to turn off the alert system and only realized it when they came in to prepare for the 6:00 news?
post #1277 of 1958 Old 03-22-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish96 View Post

I'm watching the Sunday Today show and it's NOT in HD. Any idea why? I see this happens at time to other OTA stations on occassion where they should be in HD and are not

I've seen this also. Quite annoying.
post #1278 of 1958 Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Legend View Post

So why does Time Warner get 24/7 access to a WYFX feed in high definition, but those of us with OTA or Comcast (Columbiana County) aren't given access to this feed? With Fox carrying the NFL, MLB, NASCAR and the major bowl games, it's a little disheartening to know that the local station doesn't give us access to this programs in the highest possible quality.

I can't answer the Comcast part of the question, but doing FOX 17/62 in HD over the air is something the WKBN/WYFX folks can't do all the time due to bandwidth issues.

When they flipped on 27.3 for WYFX HD during the Super Bowl, for example, they had to run CBS on 27.1 in SD. There's not enough bandwidth/room to fit - in current, in place technology - two HD channels on one OTA station.

WKBN/WYFX/New Vision made the decision to temporarily run WKBN-DT with CBS in SD, and FOX in HD, for the Super Bowl (and I think the Daytona 500?). I'm assuming CBS, as the primary affiliation on WKBN-DT, wouldn't allow them to do this regularly...particularly if it's during CBS prime time.

All of this will change whenever New Vision converts WYFX/62 and WFXI/17 to digital. The stations will still be low power, but they'll be able to put the FOX HD feed on both. There are applications in the works to do this, but the WKBN folks will have to let us know if they do plan on the conversion soon (say, around 2/17/09 - the full-power analog shutoff date...they could still keep 17/62 as analog LPTVers, but that might make sense as a date when the full-power stations like WKBN drop analog).
post #1279 of 1958 Old 03-24-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

All of this will change whenever New Vision converts WYFX/62 and WFXI/17 to digital. The stations will still be low power, but they'll be able to put the FOX HD feed on both. There are applications in the works to do this, but the WKBN folks will have to let us know if they do plan on the conversion soon (say, around 2/17/09 - the full-power analog shutoff date...they could still keep 17/62 as analog LPTVers, but that might make sense as a date when the full-power stations like WKBN drop analog).

Do you know what the actual channel number is that 17/62 has applied for?
post #1280 of 1958 Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WYFX has a CP for channel 35.

WFXI doesn't seem to have applied for anything.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1281 of 1958 Old 03-26-2008, 05:24 PM

They have a construction permit for 35 I believe.
post #1282 of 1958 Old 03-27-2008, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

I can't answer the Comcast part of the question, but doing FOX 17/62 in HD over the air is something the WKBN/WYFX folks can't do all the time due to bandwidth issues.

When they flipped on 27.3 for WYFX HD during the Super Bowl, for example, they had to run CBS on 27.1 in SD. There's not enough bandwidth/room to fit - in current, in place technology - two HD channels on one OTA station.

WKBN/WYFX/New Vision made the decision to temporarily run WKBN-DT with CBS in SD, and FOX in HD, for the Super Bowl (and I think the Daytona 500?). I'm assuming CBS, as the primary affiliation on WKBN-DT, wouldn't allow them to do this regularly...particularly if it's during CBS prime time.

That is all well and good, and I understand it. What I'm still trying to get an answer for is why WYFX broadcasts in full hi-definition programming 24/7 (as content permits) on Time Warner Cable. There is a feed that exists from them (as their news and network programming all show the call letters, etc). I can understand not being able to broadcast it OTA at all times due to bandwidth contraints but I don't understand why the feed exists for one of the local cable providers but not the other 3.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found this from the WKBN website:
Quote:

WYFX in HD is available via Armstrong Cable and on Time Warner Cable.

So, it is just Comcast being shutout.
post #1283 of 1958 Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 AM

I think the reason those two get the feed and Comcast does not , may have to do with the fact that both Armstrong and Time Warner serve areas in very close proximity to WKBN/WYFX offices, so they can feed a direct line via fiber optic cable to those two providers. Comcast on the other hand serves areas south and that direct line to the cable company is probably unavailable. Just a guess.
post #1284 of 1958 Old 03-28-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vink07 View Post

I think the reason those two get the feed and Comcast does not , may have to do with the fact that both Armstrong and Time Warner serve areas in very close proximity to WKBN/WYFX offices, so they can feed a direct line via fiber optic cable to those two providers. Comcast on the other hand serves areas south and that direct line to the cable company is probably unavailable. Just a guess.

The corner of South Avenue & Midlothian Blvd is the demarcation line for TWC & Armstrong. TWC enters from the north and Armstrong enters from the west.
post #1285 of 1958 Old 03-30-2008, 07:42 PM

OK, my wife is watching Cold Case that she DVR'd on our Dish box on 27-1, and she's asking me why the HD feed has no sound. A few minutes into the show, it looks like someone switched over to the SD feed. Was something wrong?
post #1286 of 1958 Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WYFX has a CP for channel 35.

WFXI doesn't seem to have applied for anything.

- Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan21 View Post

They have a construction permit for 35 I believe.

Thank you.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there a website where I can track the progress of that application? My wife wants AI in HD!
post #1287 of 1958 Old 03-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by probinson View Post

Thank you.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there a website where I can track the progress of that application? My wife wants AI in HD!

It takes a little digging, but you can check in to the FCC TV Query Search site and stay abreast of all the scintillating exchanges of paperwork between the station(s) and the FCC.
There are a number of field you can use to generate data searches; the easiest is by call letter or by city/state.
Click on the station you want, and then click on the "Application List" link. You could also subscribe to the FCC Daily Digest, bring up the PDF versions of the daily Broadcast Applications and Broadcast Actions and run a call letter search within Adobe.
Good luck.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #1288 of 1958 Old 03-31-2008, 03:11 PM

Had same problem. Switched to SD same problem. Some commericals also had no audio.
There have been many problems since 27 and 33 merged.
post #1289 of 1958 Old 04-01-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Even if WFXI doesn't have a digital companion channel CP, I presume they could flash cut to digital at some point, no?

That's a decision New Vision would have to make, presumably after 2/17 next year...
post #1290 of 1958 Old 04-01-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

It takes a little digging, but you can check in to the FCC TV Query Search site and stay abreast of all the scintillating exchanges of paperwork between the station(s) and the FCC.
There are a number of field you can use to generate data searches; the easiest is by call letter or by city/state.
Click on the station you want, and then click on the "Application List" link. You could also subscribe to the FCC Daily Digest, bring up the PDF versions of the daily Broadcast Applications and Broadcast Actions and run a call letter search within Adobe.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info!

Wow. That was "scintillating".

It says the application for WYFX-LP for channel 35 was "dismissed" in my uneducated searching, is that correct?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page