Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 1952 Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchat20 View Post

Was gonna post til I saw Inundated's response. Though TV-Fool now pegs it in the same signal quality area as WFMJ and WKBN with the 1000kw update, this is only going by FCC filings so I dunno if it's actually been bumped up yet or if it's gonna be done after WKBN's antenna is finished. Though with the noticable increase in signal lately I'd wager a guess it has been upgraded. Just need to figure out exactly what is causing all these dropout issues around here.

Thanks for the info.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1952 Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I really hope "running at 30%" means "we're barely even on the air" because I still cannot get the signal level bar out of the bad range and it occasionally goes away completely then comes back. No picture or sound at all. I was really looking forward to this upgrade...
post #1653 of 1952 Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

I really hope "running at 30%" means "we're barely even on the air" because I still cannot get the signal level bar out of the bad range and it occasionally goes away completely then comes back. No picture or sound at all. I was really looking forward to this upgrade...

That reminds me. With just the 30% signal but the antenna moved up I am still peaking at a solid, unwavering 100%. I'm hoping when it goes back to full power it won't be so massive as to overload my set. Isn't much I can actually dumb down on to attenuate it. At least not without killing other stations in the process.

post #1654 of 1952 Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Tower crews cost a lot of money, and have to sit for days or weeks if the weather doesn't cooperate, and are only available in certain windows due to demand. If the crews are, as Tom said here, headed for the WYTV tower after WKBN's upgrade is done... it'd ba a colossal, expensive waste of time for them NOT to do the upgrade.
post #1655 of 1952 Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

Same here. Just hang in there until early Monday morning, assuming the weather holds.
post #1656 of 1952 Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That reminds me. With just the 30% signal but the antenna moved up I am still peaking at a solid, unwavering 100%. I'm hoping when it goes back to full power it won't be so massive as to overload my set. Isn't much I can actually dumb down on to attenuate it. At least not without killing other stations in the process.

What will full power for WKBN be? I'm wondering how much this height increase and full power will affect viewers farther out. I remember seeing that Akron is well with in the "suggested" viewing area according to the FCC map. Right now on the Zenith I have the "bad" part of the bar filled in but it seems to come and go, never strong enough to lock in the signal.

It pisses me off that WOIO's pathetic weak signal used to come in decent for me and now that the power was increased the signal is even better. Stupid VHF WJW is about the same, now a bit weaker than WOIO's signal on my back TV.

You're so lucky you get WKBN with such strong signal. WOIO and WJW both suck and I remember when I had WKBN in analog it was always an improvement over WOIO, especially when they decided to "replace' network programming.

Isn't it funny how a smaller market can have better TV stations than a larger market like Cleveland? WKBN's newscast looks like a CBS O&O station's newscast compared to WOIO.
post #1657 of 1952 Old 10-23-2009, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
and you have to keep bailing them out of the drunk tank...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

Tower crews cost a lot of money

post #1658 of 1952 Old 10-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

By any chance is anyone having problems with WFMJ dropping out erratically this morning? Seems to be doing worse than WYTV. It will go from around 75-80% signal and drop all the way down to 0 and hold there for some moments (sometimes up to 15-20 seconds) while the tv reads 'channel unavailable' and then come back up to ~75-80% again.

post #1659 of 1952 Old 10-23-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:

By any chance is anyone having problems with WFMJ dropping out erratically this morning? Seems to be doing worse than WYTV. It will go from around 75-80% signal and drop all the way down to 0 and hold there for some moments (sometimes up to 15-20 seconds) while the tv reads 'channel unavailable' and then come back up to ~75-80% again.

Microwave problems to the transmitter. Sorry. We're swapping out equipment and its touchy. We're done so no more drop outs.
post #1660 of 1952 Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 AM

I mentioned this at the Cleveland OTA thread:
Here in SW Canton, where before I would get a decent signal on 27 much of the time, now It is coming in solid for me..even turning the antenna different directions I still dont lose signal..Been this way since at least last night..No hint of 33 yet though..
post #1661 of 1952 Old 10-26-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

WKBN was solidly locking at around 6 AM over in Akron...deteriorated as the daytime hours went on, but there's still sign of a signal trying to decode.

I haven't moved or adjusted the indoor amplified antenna pointing out my second floor window.
post #1662 of 1952 Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 PM

TV21CHIEF, When is WFMJ going to fix the popping and static cracking all the time on their crap station that they call HD? I am so sick of this problem. It goes away and then comes back. It is doing it right now. Also why don't they learn how to show banners on the bottom, radar and the lottery numbers without ruining the HD? It doesn't have to go to SD everytime you do this. The other stations manage to show all of this stuff without taking it off HD. I am disgusted at the way WFMJ runs their station. They need to learn how to run a real station.
post #1663 of 1952 Old 10-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Fanatic View Post

Also why don't they learn how to show banners on the bottom, radar and the lottery numbers without ruining the HD? It doesn't have to go to SD everytime you do this. The other stations manage to show all of this stuff without taking it off HD. I am disgusted at the way WFMJ runs their station. They need to learn how to run a real station.

This requires equipment that can create and overlay graphics in the HD realm which costs major money. WFMJ's budget is not there. Can always donate about $10K for new equipment?

post #1664 of 1952 Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, insulting them and calling them a "crap station" and "not a real station" will get that equipment installed tomorrow...not.
post #1665 of 1952 Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 AM

Is WKBN complete with all the tower work yet?

Tom
post #1666 of 1952 Old 10-28-2009, 12:57 PM

About a month ago WFMJ seemed as though they lost their Chyron for about a week. No on-screen graphics at all during any of the newscasts. Just curious what happened? I apologize if this has been discussed but I just discovered this thread. I was really hoping they would be coming back in HD, but since then nothing in the broadcast changed.
post #1667 of 1952 Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 PM

I really wish there was something WYFX could do during the World Series or major sporting events to give us 5.1 audio. It's like going to the Grand Canyon and then having to look at it from inside the car.
post #1668 of 1952 Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Anyone seeing W58AM-D on the air on channel 44?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1669 of 1952 Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 AM

WKBN CHEIF,

If the relocation of the Digital Antenna on WKBN is complete are you now transmitting at full power?

Also can you update us on the status of upgrades of the antenna and transmitter on WYTV ?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
post #1670 of 1952 Old 11-11-2009, 03:29 PM

Has anyone heard/seen any news regarding the WYTV upgrade situation? The weather lately should have allowed lots of work to be accomplished.
post #1671 of 1952 Old 11-18-2009, 12:09 PM

Apparently everything is being kept "top secret" regarding the WYTV upgrade. No one has been posting anything, nothing's on their website and an email to their engineering staff has produced no reply. Is anything actually happening?
post #1672 of 1952 Old 11-18-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

Apparently everything is being kept "top secret" regarding the WYTV upgrade. No one has been posting anything, nothing's on their website and an email to their engineering staff has produced no reply. Is anything actually happening?

LOL... I have been watching also. I wonder if they are still on the air? WKBNCHIEF said they had to remove their old equipment first. So I hope they have got that far. I can receive their signal early morning/late night. Since I have not lately I hope that is a good sign
post #1673 of 1952 Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

LOL... I have been watching also. I wonder if they are still on the air? WKBNCHIEF said they had to remove their old equipment first. So I hope they have got that far. I can receive their signal early morning/late night. Since I have not lately I hope that is a good sign

They're still on the air....I'm receiving them here in Canton at about 83% when my antenna (on a 50' tower) is pointed directly at Y'town. (WKBN is received at 100% and WFMJ at 92%.) I mostly keep my antenna directed at the Wheeling-Steubenville area as I record the local news from there daily but can also get usable signals from WKBN and WFMJ at that setting. WYTV requires precise aiming at Y'Town, which I'm hoping will change once they do their upgrading. Most of my limited Cleveland viewing is done via the locals on Directv. ......I just always think it's odd that TV stations in general (not just WYTV) are so "hush-hush" about what they're doing technically.
post #1674 of 1952 Old 11-20-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Anyone seeing W58AM-D on the air on channel 44?

- Trip

Trip in answer to your question, yes W58AM-D (DT 44/PBS) has been on for about a month now and is carrying all subchannels.
post #1675 of 1952 Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 PM

Does anyone know if the WYTV upgrade project is in progress, or has it been scrapped until the spring? The absence of leaves on the trees has improved my reception across the board. WYTV was a little touchy for me in the summertime, but now I can get away with not having my antenna pointed directly at Youngstown to receive all their full powered stations.
post #1676 of 1952 Old 12-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB8MO View Post

Does anyone know if the WYTV upgrade project is in progress, or has it been scrapped until the spring? The absence of leaves on the trees has improved my reception across the board. WYTV was a little touchy for me in the summertime, but now I can get away with not having my antenna pointed directly at Youngstown to receive all their full powered stations.

I have not heard anything........................

Tom
post #1677 of 1952 Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 AM

I just noticed this today. WKBN 27.1 and 27.2 are now broadcasting in digital surround sound. They were both in stereo before. I just so happen to have a converter box that indicates whether a station is broadcasting in surround sound or just stereo, although there really is no point in it telling me this I'm just wondering if anyone noticed this also. Football games are on both channels now, but I don't see an reason why they wouldn't continue broadcasting in surround sound all the time.
post #1678 of 1952 Old 01-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Well I just got Dish Network installed here a few weeks ago and finally got my OTA module in today. Surprising news is WKYC is coming in solid as ever at ~65% strength around the clock even with the old outdoor antenna and my shoddy wiring. It's only too bad that I can't pick up anything else from up there.

post #1679 of 1952 Old 01-03-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I just got Dish Network installed here a few weeks ago and finally got my OTA module in today. Surprising news is WKYC is coming in solid as ever at ~65% strength around the clock even with the old outdoor antenna and my shoddy wiring. It's only too bad that I can't pick up anything else from up there.

So you actually dumped TWC. I admire that!! Of course now SDV is finally getting better. I haven't any major issues in awhile.

Be happy you're not forced to watch the garbage in Cleveland. The CBS station still sucks, no change there. And if you have WYTV at least you got to watch Better Off Ted's new episode after the Rose Bowl on Friday. $%^@!*# WEWS showed a 'local postgame show' and did not reair a new ABC show.
post #1680 of 1952 Old 01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB8MO View Post

I just noticed this today. WKBN 27.1 and 27.2 are now broadcasting in digital surround sound. They were both in stereo before. I just so happen to have a converter box that indicates whether a station is broadcasting in surround sound or just stereo, although there really is no point in it telling me this I'm just wondering if anyone noticed this also. Football games are on both channels now, but I don't see an reason why they wouldn't continue broadcasting in surround sound all the time.

The last TSReader data I have from WKBN showed 27-1 in 5.1 but 27-2 in stereo. Was 27-1 not in 5.1 before?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page