Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 1952 Old 02-18-2010, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Repost...anyone know if anywhere in this area carries the Samsung or new Cisco boxes?

As far as I know they are only available thru Direct TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1952 Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 PM

Has anyone noticed that the PSIP information on WYTV has been incorrect for the last couple weeks? Program information for 33.1 doesn't exist, 33.2's information is on .1, and 33.3's information is on .2
post #1713 of 1952 Old 02-24-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB8MO View Post

Has anyone noticed that the PSIP information on WYTV has been incorrect for the last couple weeks? Program information for 33.1 doesn't exist, 33.2's information is on .1, and 33.3's information is on .2

We did have a PSIP computer problem a couple of weeks ago but it was resolved. Try rescanning the channels and that should correct your PSIP discrepancy. I had to do the same on my OTA TV at home.

Thomas A. Zocolo
Chief Engineer
WKBN-TV 27.1 / WYFX-LP 62 & 27.2
WYTV 33.1 / MyYTV 33.2
Youngstown, Ohio
post #1714 of 1952 Old 02-24-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Legend View Post

Great broadcast WKBN. Best NFL broadcast of the year. No dropouts, no glitches, PQ stayed strong until the confetti drop. Kudos.

Thanks, but we didn't do anything special. We have made no changes, tweaks or adjustments since our antenna move several months ago. I get many comments, the same as Bob at WFMJ, that reception is spotty or drops out at certain dayparts, etc. Some people that I talk to are close to us in Boardman or Youngstown and they can't get us at all when they should be able to pick us up with a paperclip stuck in their antenna connector. And then I talk to people that live in the fringe areas and they never have a problem. Our transmitter is extremely constant, just as Bob's is, and I believe that local reception conditions and factors can be very significant. We still have much to learn about ATSC transmission and reception.

Thomas A. Zocolo
Chief Engineer
WYTV 33.1 / MyYTV 33.2
Youngstown, Ohio
post #1715 of 1952 Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Reception of WKBN is always fine here in Canton with a wide tolerance in antenna direction. WYTV reception is good but requires much more exact antenna direction but then their signal is much lower in power. WKBN Chief, is there anything you can tell us about the proposed WYTV upgrades? I've heard/seen nothing in several months. Thanks!
post #1716 of 1952 Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

... is there anything you can tell us about the proposed WYTV upgrades? I've heard/seen nothing in several months. Thanks!

We really had hoped to get WYTV done last year but the weather just didn't cooperate. We had a hard FCC deadline for the WKBN antenna move so that had to be done first and even that project had many weather delays. Now we are looking at mid-Spring (April-May) for the WYTV antenna project.

Thomas A. Zocolo
Chief Engineer
WYTV 33.1 / MyYTV 33.2
Youngstown, Ohio
post #1717 of 1952 Old 02-27-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

Reception of WKBN is always fine here in Canton with a wide tolerance in antenna direction. WYTV reception is good but requires much more exact antenna direction but then their signal is much lower in power. WKBN Chief, is there anything you can tell us about the proposed WYTV upgrades? I've heard/seen nothing in several months. Thanks!

Same here for WKBN with a Amplified Indoor Antenna..I live fairly close to rluyster..Am hoping for something of a chance to get WYTV once all the adjustments are done..
post #1718 of 1952 Old 02-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm actually surprised though that people are having troubles these days getting WYTV, though it may just be the sensitivity of my tuner aiding the reception in addition to being relatively close. But WYTV these days gets slightly better signal than either WKBN or WFMJ.

While on the topic though I have to agree with an earlier poster about WFMJ. There's something up somewhere because I am getting regular signal dropouts on my tuner when either WKBN or WYTV are spotless. And this is when the signal strength shows around 80% which should get a solid lock (Heck, WKYC comes in at 55-60% and is solid save for minor macroblocking here and there. Primetime hours it is solid enough for DVR'ing).

post #1719 of 1952 Old 02-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKBN Chief View Post

We did have a PSIP computer problem a couple of weeks ago but it was resolved. Try rescanning the channels and that should correct your PSIP discrepancy. I had to do the same on my OTA TV at home.

The re-scan took care of the PSIP discrepancy. The same problem showed up on both of my converter boxes. Thanks for the help

While I'm thinking about it, what ever happened to WFXI-CA?
post #1720 of 1952 Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 PM

When is 21 WFMJ going to fix their signal problem?
post #1721 of 1952 Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 AM

It will be good to receive WYTV DT on a consistent basis. The station comes in better during colder weather for me at my residence near Cochranton. Of course, I can get WJET DT really well here but I like the weather radar channel WYTV provides with coverage for my area. I am also excited to have it as a backup in case WJET goes off the air like I have with the other network affiliates. However, I'm not too happy that ABC is losing a bulk of the NASCAR races to ESPN. So much for free HD.
post #1722 of 1952 Old 03-15-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H. View Post

Except under the most severe snowstorms, WFMJ's signal has been rock solid for me all winter, here in Western Penna.

However, over the past few weeks, WKBN's signal has degraded to the point where it is no longer watchable - and there's no ice or snow, here, to blame. Intitially, the problem was limited to early afternoon, and I likened the situation to my experience with AM radio, where reception was clearer after sunset. However, I haven't been able to get a steady signal from WKBN in the evening for nearly a week, now.

In fact, when I did a rescan a couple of weeks ago, it completely skipped over WKBN; I had to manually install it using the weak signal installation routine on my set. I ran that routine again this evening and noticed the "meter" fluctuating wildly - like when WYTV's anemic 50kW signal was on the way into or out of a good tropospheric event.

Anyone else over here in PA experiencing similar problems with WKBN?

I can't be more than a few miles from you, and I've never had a problem with WKBN's signal. I'm using the OTA module in a Dish Network 722k, and right now, my signal on WKBN is 96 out of 100, which is pretty typical for me, and I've never seen the signal drop below 86.
post #1723 of 1952 Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 AM

All three full powered Youngstown channels come in fine at my residence in central Geauga County. This is with my antenna stuck due north even though Youngstown is 40 miles to my southeast. Once in a while, I have intermittent trouble with WYTV. I expect that though since their profile is nowhere near FMJ's or KBN's. I will probably have more difficulty receiving WYTV once the foliage reappears. Hopefully their power upgrade and antenna increase will fix that permanently. What's aggravating for me is that I can no longer watch WOIO or WJW until I fix my rotor. It seems that reception conditions have been flipped on their head with the implementation of DTV. UHF use to be touchy in analog world. Now VHF television is touchy in the digital world.
post #1724 of 1952 Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 AM

Hello Everyone,

My rotor froze (left me pointed toward Erie) works fine now, thanks to the warmer weather.
I have been watching and recording WFMJ with no signal problems.
The signal from WKBN is Rock Solid, also.
Glad to hear WYTV is going to move ahead with their antenna project soon. I was able to watch them this morning for a couple hours.
Anyhow,
TV21CHIEF and WKBN CHIEF keep up the Great Work! I will be watching

Thanks
post #1725 of 1952 Old 03-18-2010, 11:15 AM

No WKBN is coming in fine here near Cochranton. I have lost WYTV but they usually come in better for me during colder temperatures. Hopefully the upgrades will improve DT 36 for me.
post #1726 of 1952 Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 PM

Thanks TV21CHIEF for the update regarding the HD crawl. Glad to hear the HD master control is on its way for next month. And I'm glad to know that by keeping 21.2 SD, 21.1 in 1080i should be maintained.

WKBN Chief: I saw a 5 second promo for 27 First News this afternoon featuring Dave Sess and Whitney Ward in HD. I always assumed that the only thing holding WKBN/WYTV back from HD newscasts were NTSC cameras. In addition to the HD picture, I noticed an updated lower third graphic for 16:9 as well. Looks great! I hope HD newscasts will be beginning soon, as I've been waiting years to finally be able to watch the local news in HD. Any word on when news in HD might go live for WKBN (and I'd assume WYTV as well)?
post #1727 of 1952 Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 PM

WKBN Chief: I also just had another thought regarding the 720p broadcast of 27.1. Is there any reason WKBN/WYTV couldn't carry ABC/WYTV and FOX/WYFX broadcasts on DT 36 and move MyYTV and Weather to DT 41, then use virtual channels to map those subchannels back to their recognized numbers at 27.1, 27.2, 33.1, etc. This should allow for enough bandwidth on 41 to carry CBS at 1080i and it would mean WYFX could be carried at 720p with less compression. Is there anyone on the forum who might know/speculate as to why this hasn't happened or if it is actually feasible? I would be absolutely thrilled to see this happen!
post #1728 of 1952 Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 AM

On a slightly different topic, if WKBNChief happens to see this, I wondered if I could lodge a complaint about the on-screen graphics.

On Monday night, I sat down to watch 24 on FOX, only to see a HUGE radar map down in the lower right corner of the broadcast. Is that really necessary? I mean, I know you have to put emergency information on the screen by law, but is it really necessary to have a non-stop section of the radar map CONSTANTLY obscuring the bottom corner of the screen? The text "Flood Warning" with the county name and the periodic crawls seem like more than enough. The radar map just irritates the crap out of me, and, IMO, adds absolutely no useful information about the warning.
post #1729 of 1952 Old 03-24-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probinson View Post

On a slightly different topic, if WKBNChief happens to see this, I wondered if I could lodge a complaint about the on-screen graphics.

On Monday night, I sat down to watch 24 on FOX, only to see a HUGE radar map down in the lower right corner of the broadcast. Is that really necessary? I mean, I know you have to put emergency information on the screen by law, but is it really necessary to have a non-stop section of the radar map CONSTANTLY obscuring the bottom corner of the screen? The text "Flood Warning" with the county name and the periodic crawls seem like more than enough. The radar map just irritates the crap out of me, and, IMO, adds absolutely no useful information about the warning.

I think that would be up to the station manager and graphics dept. You could always call the station and ask about it. I'm sure if they received a few complaints they would consider changing the presentation. Personally, it doesn't bother me, but I could live without it as well.

But on a similar note (graphics), I've noticed some of WYTV's lower thirds (the ones with the red tab, usually used for "coming up" and copyright info) have some odd corruption of the graphic in the grey section. Has anyone else noticed it? It's nearly impossible to see it in SD, but in HD its quite obvious.
post #1730 of 1952 Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post

WKBN Chief: I also just had another thought regarding the 720p broadcast of 27.1. Is there any reason WKBN/WYTV couldn't carry ABC/WYTV and FOX/WYFX broadcasts on DT 36 and move MyYTV and Weather to DT 41, then use virtual channels to map those subchannels back to their recognized numbers at 27.1, 27.2, 33.1, etc. This should allow for enough bandwidth on 41 to carry CBS at 1080i and it would mean WYFX could be carried at 720p with less compression. Is there anyone on the forum who might know/speculate as to why this hasn't happened or if it is actually feasible? I would be absolutely thrilled to see this happen!

I imagine that WKBN likes being the fallback for Cleveland market viewers who cannot receive WOIO or WJW, both on VHF, and the WYTV signal would simply not make it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1731 of 1952 Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I imagine that WKBN likes being the fallback for Cleveland market viewers who cannot receive WOIO or WJW, both on VHF, and the WYTV signal would simply not make it.

- Trip

They do. I think OMW had discussed that back before/around the time of the DTV transition last June. On the other hand, my suggested channel swap wouldn't affect the power or availability of the WKBN/CBS broadcast in the Cleveland market at all. It would only affect WYFX/FOX and with the upcoming possibility of WYTV seeing a power boost, it might become possible.
post #1732 of 1952 Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
All the power in the world will not overcome WYTV's huge height disadvantage.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1733 of 1952 Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:

- Trip

That is precisely what I had to do. My antenna was pointed incorrectly, my rotor fried out, so it ended up being pointed permanently North. I wasn't directly aimed at Cleveland, so I was not able to get WOIO or WJW. WKBN, despite also being way off axis was a great fill in for the lost Cleveland channels.
post #1734 of 1952 Old 03-25-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:

All the power in the world will not overcome WYTV's huge height disadvantage.

- Trip

Which brings this question to mind: Because WYTV is going to the expense of upgrading its transmitter faculty, why didn't it just go all out and send an application to the FCC requesting a move of its antenna to WKBN's tower? Now that WKBN has moved its stick to the top of the tower, there is (or was) a possible mounting spot available on WKBN's pre-transition side mount antenna platform.
post #1735 of 1952 Old 03-29-2010, 06:18 PM

I thought you all might be interested in this.
HD News coming to Youngstown, along with some other changes.

Well apparantly you have to have three posts to put a link up here. But, the WKBN website says the station is planning a switch to HD Local News on April 19. Go check it out for yourselves.

Here is a quote,
"Three local stations, WKBN-TV, WYTV, and WYFX-LP (FOX Youngstown) are planning to begin broadcasting their local news in high-definition on April 19."
post #1736 of 1952 Old 03-31-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vink07 View Post

I thought you all might be interested in this.
HD News coming to Youngstown, along with some other changes.

Well apparantly you have to have three posts to put a link up here. But, the WKBN website says the station is planning a switch to HD Local News on April 19. Go check it out for yourselves.

Here is a quote,
"Three local stations, WKBN-TV, WYTV, and WYFX-LP (FOX Youngstown) are planning to begin broadcasting their local news in high-definition on April 19."

Thanks, vink07. Link HERE.
post #1737 of 1952 Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM

A friend of mine will be excited to hear that Youngstown local news will finally be broadcast in HD. Even WTOV in the tiny Wheeling/Steubenville market has had HD newscasts for at least a year, which is why I was perplexed as to why the much larger Youngstown market has been dragging their feet.
post #1738 of 1952 Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 PM

This may not be the proper forum for this question, but I've been hearing a lot of radio advertisements from Direct TV saying that they offer FSN Pittsburgh in the Youngstown area while Time Warner doesn't. Did Direct TV add FSN Pittsburgh to our local programming? Right now I'm paying for the sports pack in order to receive the Penguins games, and I would love to save myself $12.99 a month.
post #1739 of 1952 Old 04-19-2010, 02:57 PM

It looks like WKBN and WYTV's transition to HD newscasts has gone anything but smoothly so far. WKBN's news was slated to go HD starting with their 5PM newscast today; that didn't seem to materialize. WYTV's news was slated to go HD at 5:30. Something must have majorly screwed up at WYTV. An episode of "Coach" is being shown in lieu of the newscast that never happened.
post #1740 of 1952 Old 04-20-2010, 12:21 PM

I've got a hunch that WYTV has finally installed their new top mounted antenna and has kicked up the juice to 1MW. It is stronger here this afternoon than it ever has been previously.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page