Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1116 Old 05-21-2006, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Trey View Post

If Wink is not broadcasting a digital signal come 7/1/06 we all need to call the FCC video division and let them know. I was told by the FCC there would be no more chances for Wink.

I was by there the other day. Nobody was working, but the digital antenna was mounted on the side of tower and transmission line was on the tower. That is the hard part. They should make it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1116 Old 05-22-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcosby View Post

I was by there the other day. Nobody was working, but the digital antenna was mounted on the side of tower and transmission line was on the tower. That is the hard part. They should make it.

The antenna and transmission line has been there since last September. Did you
see any equipment being installed inside the transmitter building?
post #363 of 1116 Old 05-22-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Trey View Post

The antenna and transmission line has been there since last September. Did you
see any equipment being installed inside the transmitter building?

last update that was given on the air is that wink was hoping to be on air broadcasting HDTV on 6/1/06. this was expressed about 3 weeks ago on the air,during a 6pm newcast. after hearing this i said to my wife,that we would see donkeys fly before wink would be broadcasting on that date!
post #364 of 1116 Old 05-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anybody have problems w/ Fox4 tonight? The OTA HD version of American Idol was unwatchable. Pixelation and break ups every 5 to 10 seconds. We gave up and went and watched the SD Fox local channel via satellite.

Peace,

DM
post #365 of 1116 Old 05-23-2006, 09:04 PM

Davo, can you get Comcast HD where you are? I know to some D* or Dish guys that could be considered heresy, but I was just wondering why you were sticking with satellite. Your posts along with a few others have dissuaded me from trying to go HD OTA. I appreciate you sharing your struggles so those of us reading your posts don't have to repeat your efforts. Should I just wait for the tivo Series 3 to come out and then get the Comcast HD? (It is available where I am) Hopefully WINK will be on board by football season.
post #366 of 1116 Old 05-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Depends on who I ask. If I talk to a Comcast CSR from the call center in Canada, they will tell me yes, Comcast HD is available in my area. Even punching in my info on their website tells me HD is available. The local office in Lehigh off of Homestead says it is definitely not available. The truth is the latter, it is not available in my neighborhood and won't be until they "rebuild the system" (a quote from the local office), whatever that means. They will not give me a timeline.

The Series 3 Tivo will definitely even the playing field for me this summer to consider going back to Comcast since any new DVR from DirectTV from here on out will not be driven by Tivo's software. I pay a $60 bill each month to them anyway for high speed internet.

I say "even the playing field" and not "tip the scales" because I'm not sure the Lehigh Comcast office has ever hear of Cable Card technology. Also, the FM / Naples market will eventually be able to get local HD channels via DirectTV, albeit only through the new MPEG4 DVRs, not my HD Tivo.

So it is a quandary, but since I've moved here four years ago, I've bugged Comcast about HD in my area. A year and a half ago, I gave up and got an HDTivo and signed up w/ DirectTV and fell in love with the Tivo (so did my wife).

My satellite signal has rarely been a problem. In fact, I never lost signal during Hurricane Wilma. OTA reception has been a different issue and last night was frustrating. Nothing was different on my end, but sometimes lots of moisture in the air like last night seems to make multipath worse. But again, the only channel affected was Fox4. All the other channels were good, but American Idol just isn't the same in SD.

Oh well, that's my story. Can't wait until WINK gets up and running so I can gripe about their issues too. :-)

Peace,

DM
post #367 of 1116 Old 05-24-2006, 10:27 AM

Speaking of WINK, they failed their HARV final inspection yesterday. Stuhlman is probably sweating bullets right about now.
post #368 of 1116 Old 05-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Help us non-construction peeps understand what HARV stands for.

Peace,

DM
post #369 of 1116 Old 05-24-2006, 02:13 PM

Did anyone else know that WFTX FOX in Fort Myers had changed their OTA broadcast from channel 36.1 to 35.3? I haven't been able to get a signal for several days in Punta Gorda and sent them an email. I received a reply within 1/2 day telling me about the channel change. I wonder how we are supposed to find out about these changes?
post #370 of 1116 Old 05-24-2006, 03:05 PM

Now WFTX is back on channel 36.1. What is going on here?
post #371 of 1116 Old 05-24-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkclark View Post

Now WFTX is back on channel 36.1. What is going on here?

that is extremely odd/weird because i am Lehigh Acres using a samsung sir-t451 receiver and i get WFTX on 35.1! ( only if i manually add the channel ) mu OTA box will not lock in on WFTX during a scan,so,i have to manually add it
post #372 of 1116 Old 05-24-2006, 03:57 PM

HARV= Heating, Air conditioning, Refrigeration and Ventilation
post #373 of 1116 Old 05-24-2006, 06:58 PM

well i guess i spoke too soon earlier,cause,about an hour ago,my wftx started showing 36.1 again
post #374 of 1116 Old 05-25-2006, 04:48 PM

I'm picking up WFTX on both 35.3 and 36.1. Strange
post #375 of 1116 Old 05-26-2006, 06:08 AM

I saw on the FCC website where WINK filed for a modification to their construction permit on 5/25/06. It seems they want to lower their antenna 6 meters. I wonder what they are up to this time,another stall tatic that they can blame on the FCC?
post #376 of 1116 Old 05-27-2006, 08:43 AM

I live in Port Charlotte and receive OTA HD with two antennas- one pointing to Fort Myers, the other to Tampa.

I watch most of the programming on my HD/DirecTV TiVo and I'm frustrated with the frequent outages and impairments of the Fort Myers area stations. Most of the time the signals are very strong, but just last week, I lost the epsiodes of Medium and House because of major impairments on WBBH and WFTX respectively. WZVN (ABC 26) is no better, but I didn't lose any of their programs last week.

My emails to these broadcasters go unanswered.

The situation hasn't improved much over the last six months.

Is there any hope that they'll get their act together? Should I whine to the FCC?

DrOrb
post #377 of 1116 Old 05-27-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOrb View Post

I live in Port Charlotte and receive OTA HD with two antennas- one pointing to Fort Myers, the other to Tampa.

My emails to these broadcasters go unanswered.

The situation hasn't improved much over the last six months.

Is there any hope that they'll get their act together? Should I whine to the FCC?

DrOrb

Hey fellow Port Charlotte person

Your better off calling there using the phone directly then email which I don't think they read. There were earlier issues with people forgetting to "Flip the Switch" at Fox to switch to HD. People called them directly and it went right over to HD.
Their respective websites have the phone numbers under the various contact sections.
post #378 of 1116 Old 05-27-2006, 12:13 PM

DrOrb- Are you using an A/B switch to feed each antenna to your tv?
post #379 of 1116 Old 05-27-2006, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the quick responses!!!

Suikoguy- When I go to, say, the Fox WFTX site, I only see contact phone numbers for sales and news desks. Where do I find an engineering contact?

TV Trey- No I don't use an A/B switch. Is it possible that there are distant UHF signals clobbering the local DTV? The power required seems to rule that out, no?

Did anyone successfuly receive Medium on 20-1 or House on 36-1 the week of May 21st?

Again, kudos for helping out a newbie...

DrOrb
post #380 of 1116 Old 05-27-2006, 04:41 PM

DrOrb- If you are going to use 2 antennas pointed in basically opposite directions, you need to use separate downleads and use the A/B switch to select which market you want to watch Tampa or Ft.Myers.
post #381 of 1116 Old 05-27-2006, 09:22 PM

DrOrb, I'm also in Port Charlotte, and I did get House and Medium in HD last week.

I have been having issues with 24 and several other shows going in and out of HD during the show.
On my living room TV, thru the D* box I get Fox on 36.1, in the bedroom using a built in HD tuner I get Fox on 35.3, both using the same antenna... Go figure.

As much as I hate Wink, I'd honestly like to be able to get HD on that channel.
post #382 of 1116 Old 05-28-2006, 07:20 AM

Hmmmm.

It seems that the broadcasting was OK, so my setup is the cause of my woes.

I thought it was improbable that a distant transmission could effectively wipe out a DTV signal originating a few dozen miles away, but it seems to be the most likely culprit.

Isolating the two antennas is problematic- I have 3 HDTVs, and the OTA content is diplexed in a D* multiswitch. Removing one antenna would impact all the recievers. Also, it's possible that the rogue signal is, in fact, originating 180 degrees from the Fort Myers signals since my antenna (yagi) is nearly as good backward-facing as forward.

The next time I encounter the problem live (vs. TiVo), I'll remove the Tampa antenna and see if the problem disappears.

Thanks again for the help!
DrOrb
post #383 of 1116 Old 05-28-2006, 08:23 AM

DrOrb- It's not that a Tampa station is "wiping out" your Ft. Myers stations, it is you are picking up Ft.Myers stations off of the back side of your Tampa antenna. This is more than likely causing mutipath issues for your Ft.Myers locals. If you have an analog tuner go to channel 20 and check out the picture to see how much ghosting you have. If you must have both markets, a rotor would be your best choice.
post #384 of 1116 Old 05-28-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tuned into WFTX to watch some of FOX's Coca Cola 600 pregame and it was not in HD....did someone forget to flip the switch or is FOX not doing this race in HD?

Update: Just checked back into the race and it looks like someone flipped the switch. It is now in wonderful 720p FOX HDTV on WFTX-DT.

CapeFish

post #385 of 1116 Old 05-28-2006, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFish View Post

Tuned into WFTX to watch some of FOX's Coca Cola 600 pregame and it was not in HD....did someone forget to flip the switch or is FOX not doing this race in HD?

Update: Just checked back into the race and it looks like someone flipped the switch. It is now in wonderful 720p FOX HDTV on WFTX-DT.

Most if not all of the pregame was SD (I didn't watch it start to finish so it may have been all SD) I've seen this before on other Fox NASCAR pregames. I think it has something to do with them using wireless cams or cameras in temporary positions for the pregame events.
post #386 of 1116 Old 05-29-2006, 08:58 AM

CapeFish was correct, somebody forgot to flip the switch. I have access to the NY locals via D* and I watched via Fox 5 from NY in HD until somebody flipped the switch down here.
post #387 of 1116 Old 05-29-2006, 12:09 PM

Humm, I watched all of the race and with the exception of in car shots, it was in HD. There are the occasional shots from non HD cameras but for the most part the entire race was HD.

Now if the Indy 500 could have had HD cameras I may have felt better about the ending. I really wanted Marco to win.
post #388 of 1116 Old 05-29-2006, 03:18 PM

The start of the pre race show was in SD.
post #389 of 1116 Old 05-29-2006, 03:54 PM

I think many times the people in the control room are asleep at the switch. Last week i was watching the American Idol final episode and WTVT out of Tampa started the second hour of the program with a replay of the opening of the show. I missed almost all of Carrie Underwood's solo performance that kicked off the second half of the show.
post #390 of 1116 Old 05-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Caught that too. Thought I hit some sort of temporal warp bubble for a moment. Weird.

Peace,

DM
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page