post #31 of 1117 Old 12-03-2004, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by DavoM
Anybody in our area ever been able to pick up WTVX's digital channel from Fort Peirce? The frequency assignment is 50 and I'm thinking it would remap to 34-1. It is a UPN station and I'd love to see Enterprise in HD.

Peace,

DM

I have DXed analog WTVX 34, but no DT.

CapeFish

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1117 Old 12-03-2004, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DavoM
Capefish,

You got any engineering contacts at WFTX, Fox4? I'd love a phone number or email besides the general stuff. A fiend of mine gets HD via Comcast and they've been no help answering his question of when WFTX would be provided on cable in HD.

Thanks,

DM

No contacts other than Dave Roberts and GM Donita Todd. I used their regular emails as listed on http://www.fox4florida.com/

They have been very responsive to my concerns on other issues. Try calling and asking to speak to engineering. (Most of them are at the hub in Orlando with WB18)

CapeFish

post #33 of 1117 Old 12-07-2004, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by P Caulfield
What kind of antenna do you have. A tower? that is 90 miles.

I am using a Channelmaster 4228 8 bay bowtie with a crummy 20 db preamp- had better luck with a Channelmaster 7777 preamp but it overdrives on Analog channel 26 here. Antenna is only about 15 feet up- just clears the top of my house, but cannot be seen from the street.

Dale
post #34 of 1117 Old 12-09-2004, 07:32 AM

I just bought a HDTV, i guess now i need to buy a receiver or OTA. I need help, what should i do, and if possible give me a list of all the components i will need to receive the picture i want. Now my TV looks worse than the 19" i had previously.

Also, i am in Cape Coral, would anyone mind showing me what their TV looks like. I think that will help me determine whether i am moving in the right direction.

And, is there a shop or store in our area that installs or configures?
post #35 of 1117 Old 12-10-2004, 02:23 PM

Bump for feedback
post #36 of 1117 Old 12-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Shawn,

I believe Bill Smith and Sound Advice do installs, but I've never used either of them. What kind of TV did you buy? HDTV w/ a tuner built in or just HDTV Ready? That will help us clarify what to reccomend to you.

Also, do you have cable now, which company?

Peace,

DM
post #37 of 1117 Old 12-10-2004, 07:14 PM

Thanks Davom,

I have the Sanyo HT30774 WS, it has a built in tuner. Currently i have Satelitte (Dish Network). I have the 4 room package, and the tv is in my bedroom. They could'nt put a box in my room due to where they drilled. But this package has the remotes that work through the walls so that i may be able to receive programming w/o a box. I know now this may be the primary cause to my poor reception, and unfortunately it cant be corrected unless they come back out and drill. The route that i am now seeking is getting an antenna. I have found an antenna at Circuit City for $100 that follows the guidelines of antennaweb.org. I bought a small one, but the picture would not remain on the TV. SO for now what i plan on doing is wait till i move, and then get HD programming from one of the sat/cable companies. But i would still like to hear how others have had success with their TV's.
post #38 of 1117 Old 12-28-2004, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Shawn,

In Cape Coral, you can get digital TV with Rabbit Ears. The digital towers for all the major TV stations ar eon the Lee-Charlotte Line. If you can get NBC 2 on channel 20 over-the-air and FOX 4 on channel 36 over-the-air well, you can get the digitals with that antenna most likely.

All you need to get HDTV is:

1) The HDTV-ready set
2) The HDTV decoder box (for TV's without it built-in)
-The decoder box can be for satellite, cable, and/or over-the-air transmissions.
3) A signal from a Digital TV station broadcasting an HD signal.

A good source of information is http://www.checkhd.com/

You can type in your zip code and it will even give you the listings for the local Digital Channels and which shows are in HD.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Dish Network HD Page

CapeFish

post #39 of 1117 Old 12-31-2004, 07:41 AM

Anyone heard about any changes on Fox OTA HD. I have a D* Samsung HD receiver and 36-1 has come up Channel Not Available since last Monday. NBC and ABC HD are fine and FOX worked fine until last week. Called D* and they said to call Fox4. Called Fox talked to an engineer and he said their tower was working fine. Called back D* and spoke to about a half dozen people without resolution. I would think it is user error but my father in law has the same exact issue with his Hughes D* HD receiver at his house a few miles from me.

I rebooted the receiver, rescanned for local digitals but still nothing on the 36-1 Fox. The SD Fox is fine and the OTA signal is fine but still Channel Not available on 36-1. Any thoughts or anyone running into this issue in the Cape?
post #40 of 1117 Old 12-31-2004, 01:11 PM

Speaking of Fox... Any word as to whether Fox is ever going to broadcast HD via the cable cos, either Comcast or Time Warner?

Mike
post #41 of 1117 Old 01-01-2005, 01:43 PM

There is definately something wrong with Fort Myers(Cape Coral) FOX HDTV(35-3). I have a Mits 62725 with built in HD tuner. Has worked fine since we got the set 6 weeks ago. We've been away since 12/23 and got back last night and FOX HD is breaking up every 10-15 seconds. Since picture is great when it doesn't break up I suspect a processing probelm. All other stations work fine.
post #42 of 1117 Old 01-02-2005, 09:18 AM

When I called Fox4 on Wednesday (12/29). He said their digital tower is in Punta Gorda and gets the digital feed from Orlando and that he was there on 12/28 tested and it was working fine.

I am thinking it is a Fox4 issue and I guess I will ask my father and law to call and complain about his also so they will maybe address it before the playoffs if they get a few complaints!...
post #43 of 1117 Old 01-04-2005, 06:25 AM

end of the holidays bump! Anyone else having issues w/ Fox HD?
post #44 of 1117 Old 01-05-2005, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by greg98
end of the holidays bump! Anyone else having issues w/ Fox HD?

YES!!! I am having a FOX problem in Fort Myers. I live in the Gateway area and used to get the FOX feed fine. This has been happening to me for a few weeks now!

All others working fine.
post #45 of 1117 Old 01-05-2005, 06:33 AM

TBoons, are you on Directv?
post #46 of 1117 Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by greg98
TBoons, are you on Directv?

No, I've got cable but get my HD over the air.
post #47 of 1117 Old 01-05-2005, 05:58 PM

UPDATE!

I did a channel scan and it picked up the new 36-1. Getting great signal. Will post back if I am having and reception problems.

Thanks for the channel scan idea... Should have done that weeks ago...
post #48 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 06:04 AM

Bought my Plasma and DIRECTV HD Tivo about 2 weeks ago. Everything has been fine. Messed around with different OTA antennas to receive the HD locals and have been getting good signal and enjoying OTA HD.

I had been looking forward to tonights LOST and ALIAS in HD, I come home from work and notice that both the NBC 20-1 and ABC 26-1 have no video (NOT "the searching for signal" message). It is like someone at the stations just turned them off. I am still getting NBC 20-2 and ABC 26-2 (never have had any direct tv guide data for these channels, just the old REGULAR SCHEDULE in the guide. I have always had the -2 channels but they were not the HD broadcast.

I was talking to a tech at the ABC station when I was trying to tune my antenna and he said "Remember in the next week or so all DT locals have to re do something" I can't remember what he said but maybe this is what he meant that the HD channels were moving to the -2s.

Does anyone in the Naples Florida area know what the heck is up. I got Lost and Alias set up to record on 26-1 and only have about an hour to figure it out.

Rebooted, rescan OTA etc.
post #49 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

I live in Lehigh and did not have the Fox problems that you guys did. Watched the Cotton Bowl w/ no problems. Strange.

cincymart - I noticed the same thing last night (1/5). I couldn't get the digital channels of 20-1 WBBH (NBC) nor 26-1 WVZN (ABC). I have a HDTivo and when I tuned to those channels, I too got a black screen, but never got the "Channel Not Found" message. The local feeds through DirectTV were fine. I didn't try the 20-2 or 26-2, but I will when I get home tonight. Who did you talk to at ABC?

Quote:

Speaking of Fox... Any word as to whether Fox is ever going to broadcast HD via the cable cos, either Comcast or Time Warner?

Mike - check this out. Third paragraph.

So cable customers will get WINK in HD before they begin broadcasting OTA, but FOX does OTA HD first and delays HD cable. Interesting.

Peace,

DM
post #50 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 07:18 AM

I was having antenna problems when I first got my HD DIRECTV TIVO. ABC was dropping out so I emailed the guy at ABC. Here is what he had to say.

"The ABC signal is transmitted from the same antenna as NBC. Even so there will be a slight variation in receiver antenna azimuth between the two stations. ABC has had some technical issues at the studio level over the past couple of weeks. The issues would have caused a freeze or pixelation, but not a loss of signal. However, a receiver may loose lock and appear to have no signal. The Radio Shack UHF-75 antenna has worked well for several viewers and it is priced quite reasonably ($20) as well. You might try this antenna.

One other thing I will mention is that the FCC is requiring all broadcasters to change the way we send the PSIP (programming information). This change will be implemented by all stations at a time of their choosing over the next few weeks. Therefore, if you find you are not receiving a station that you previously had been, perform a station auto-scan on the tuner to re-establish reception.

Thank you,

Dan E. Billings
Director of Technical Services
Waterman Broadcasting of Florida"
post #51 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 07:20 AM

It appears that both NBC and ABC in the Naples Florida area have changed there HD broadcast channels to NBC 20-2 and ABC 26-2 and have no broadcast signal on the NBC 20-1 and ABC 26-1

Directv has always listed NBC 20-2 and ABC 26-2 stations but has never had any program guide information. ABC 26-2 had some atternate programing like news or something.

My Problem now is how do I get Directv to understand that NBC and ABC moved their stations and to have the guide reflect it.
post #52 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 07:22 AM

FYI, I have an email into ABC asking about this switch and the Directv Guide issue. I will let you know.
post #53 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the link DM. I did not seen that page last time I looked. It looks like I will not be getting FoxHD through Comcast anytime soon.

So let me ask you all about OTA antennas. I am along Daniels, closer to US 41 than I-75 (about 18 miles from the antenna farm). Anybody had any luck with indoor antennas from this range? If so, which ones?

Thanks.
Mike
post #54 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

I've got something similar to this, but I have mounted it inside my attic. From everything I've read, my HDTivo has a pretty tricky OTA tuner. Even though I don't need that range, I wanted to be sure that I could lock on to everything, but still keep it in the attic. The only issue I have is pixelization on WGCU's HD channel every once in a while.

My attenna is directional and if you haven't discovered antenna web, it is worth a look. From my location, all the antennas are northwest of me. I pointed it to the dgree orientation that antenna web said to and everything locks on.

About a year ago I had a Motorola OTA box and used something similar to this. I could lock on to everything just fine, but it required adjustment for different channels. That wasn't going to work. I ended up returning the box too.

Hope this helps.

Peace,

DM
post #55 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

cincymart - if what you are saying is true (I'm sure it is, just haven't confirmed it for myself yet), then we will need that guide data to be correct. If you discover a contact at DirectTV or ABC/NBC to call or email, post it and I'll holler at them too.

Peace,

DM
post #56 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just got off the phone w/ Fred Falin who is VP of TV Programming & Operations for Holston Valley Broadcasting Corporation in TN. They manage WEVU. He said the PQ issue would be cleared up in the next few weeks, but the cropping of the picture would not. He said that if they letterboxed the Enterprise broadcast, it also would window box the 4:3 programming. Does that sound right? Not sure I buy that.

Interesting. Possibly as a result of my request, UPN's cropping issue has been solved. They are now broadcasting in letterbox via DirectTV locals. The PQ issues still haven't been solved, but one step at a time.

Peace,

DM
post #57 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 08:50 AM

DavoM - ABC contact info:

Dan E. Billings
DanB@water.net
Waterman Broadcasting of Florida

Office: (239) 939-6299

Still waiting on a reply from my email I sent him this morning. Now that I think about it, I remember NBC and ABC broadcasting together during the hurricanes. I looked them up on the internet. NBC and ABC are owned by the same company (Water.net). I know they broadcast from the same tower. So I think they switched their HD stations at the same time. Who knows, maybe when I get back home tonight they may have switched it back

And the NO CBS OTA HD is awhole other subject. It will be a year before they get that going. I got email from them also.

Quote from CBS:
The reason we are not broadcasting DTV/ HD now is due to the unexplainable delay by FCC in ruling on our DTV Construction Permit (it took them almost four years). Now that we have that Construction Permit, we are starting to build the DTV /HD transmission facility. We hope to have the over the air transmission of WINK-DT by October of 2005. We have already made changes to our Studio Equipment to broadcast DTV/ HD and hope to have a DTV/ HD feed to the cable companies sometime after the first of the year.

Thanks
Keith Stuhlmann
Director Of Engineering
WINK-TV
post #58 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Just sent Dan an email about the same thing. I also asked him about the lack of DD 5.1 from them. I've never heard an ABC program in DD 5.1.

Oh yeah, Keith and I have exchanged several emails. The October date is new info for me. I just hope they put the antenna in the same general area of the other antennas.

Peace,

DM
post #59 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 11:45 AM

Heard back from Dan at ABC about the 26-1 and 26-2 issue. Make note of his last line . (Short for "we are screwing it up and don't know how to fix it"

Dan from ABC Quote:

"We are currently making some FCC mandated changes to our program IDs (PIDS) in the PSIP information. There could be some interuptions of this information. Rescan your channels and it should correct any issues you are having. You may have to do it a couple of times over the next few days."

Dan Billings
post #60 of 1117 Old 01-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Here's his response to me:

Quote:

We are in the process of changing program ID's per a recent FCC change. The channels as your TV sees them should remain on 1 and 2, however there is some translation involved and the PID's will actually be 3 and 4.

Very little 5.1 audio was produced by ABC when we went on the air with digital and none was produced by NBC. Now that more 5.1 is becoming available we are looking into adding it sometime in the next year.

The guide should be working now.

Dan E. Billings
Waterman Broadcasting of Florida

I'm hoping next year means 2005, not 2006.

Peace,

DM
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page