Fort Myers, FL - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1116 Old 01-06-2005, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings from the land of cold and snow. After reading through the posts in this thread I've come to the following conclusion:

OTA HD Reception
FOX - Yes - DD5.1
ABC - Yes - No DD5.1
CBS - No OTA HD
NBC - Yes - No DD5.1

CBS will have HD OTA by 2006?
ABC and NBC will have DD5.1 by 2006?

Can somebody please tell me if my info is correct for the Fort Myers area? My antenna may be frozen up here in WI but I am lucky enough to get the big 4 in HD with DD5.1 via OTA.

I'm guessing the CBS local there isn't going to be very giving when it comes to an HD waiver for D* either.

Just contemplating an escape from the cold and want to know what I might be getting into for entertainment options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1116 Old 01-10-2005, 08:18 PM

Just thought I'd mention that Comcast in Naples seems to have recently added Discovery HD to their lineup. I noticed it on the guide yesterday (channel 172) but it said "unauthorized". So I called up Comcast and they fixed it...DiscoveryHD Theater looks great!

Now if we could just get Fox HD on Comcast I read that FOX 4 HDTV link someone posted (http://www.fox4florida.com/hdtv.shtml). Interesting stuff.... I agree with WFTX's stance though...why should they give it to them for free? I think we need to start a petition or something. Does anyone know who would be a good contact at Comcast to complain about this?
post #63 of 1116 Old 01-20-2005, 07:10 AM

I have a problem with WFTX, Cape Coral broadcasts of NFL games. The problem is major dropout/pixeling frequently during the broadcast. It ONLY happens on their NFL broadcast and not on any other WFTX digital broadcasts whether 16:9 or 4:3. I did not have any problems with their NFL broadcasts prior to Dec. 23 and I noted the problem for the first time after the New Year when we returned from a holiday trip. I have no problems with any other Fort Myers area HD stations.

I have seen a few other posts commenting about a problem with WFTX. Someone indicated they had talked to the station engineer who claimed that there were no problems. I have written to the station about the problem.

Anyone else gotten any info.?
post #64 of 1116 Old 01-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
isyp - your info is correct. I wish you the best in your efforts to get an HD waiver from WINK. They have turned every request down from me. Their last correspondence to me was down right ugly.

rjg41 - I have never had dropouts and pixelization during a Fox HD broadcast of NFL games. The games last weekend were rock solid. So was American Idol this week. Just FYI.

Got an update email from UPN WEVU:

Quote:

I am told the "red line down the middle" on WEVU's picture as received by DirecTV is gone as of this week. Can you confirm? The picture should look a lot sharper with no video noise as of a few days ago when we increased power more than 10-fold.

George DeVault
Caloosa Television Corporation / WEVU

I confirmed it and it looks good. Finally going to be able to watch Enterprise in widescreen, albeit SD. I appreciate the responsiveness of these guys at UPN.

Peace,

DM
post #65 of 1116 Old 01-23-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DavoM
isyp - your info is correct. I wish you the best in your efforts to get an HD waiver from WINK. They have turned every request down from me. Their last correspondence to me was down right ugly.

Peace,

DM

I Live in Sebring and WINK covers my market too and I was denied a waiver for E*. I can get either CBS in Orlando(6) and WTSP(10) in Tampa sometimes if I am lucky as they are 80-90 miles away from me. I am sure if I got the antenna up around 40-50' I would have better luck but as soon as I spend the $ on a tower WINK will be up and running HD. I have no problem getting the other big 3 networks OTA.
post #66 of 1116 Old 01-24-2005, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Brett_FL,

Can you pick up the HD feeds for UPN out of Miami (WTVX) or UPN out of Tampa (WTOG)?

I'm think I'll be waiting awhile before I see an OTA HD feed of UPN programming from WEVU here in Ft Myers. Just curious.

Peace,

DM
post #67 of 1116 Old 01-24-2005, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DavoM
Brett_FL,

Can you pick up the HD feeds for UPN out of Miami (WTVX) or UPN out of Tampa (WTOG)?

DM

Yes I get the WTOG in Tampa loud & clear.
post #68 of 1116 Old 01-25-2005, 09:56 AM

Brett_FL - I thought Highlands County was in the Tampa/St. Pete DMA - Using a Sebring zipcode on the Directv website returns a listing of the Stations from Tampa available as local into local . I am considering moving to Highlands from Marco. What gives ???

Quote:

Originally posted by Brett_FL
I Live in Sebring and WINK covers my market too and I was denied a waiver for E*. I can get either CBS in Orlando(6) and WTSP(10) in Tampa sometimes if I am lucky as they are 80-90 miles away from me. I am sure if I got the antenna up around 40-50' I would have better luck but as soon as I spend the $ on a tower WINK will be up and running HD. I have no problem getting the other big 3 networks OTA.

post #69 of 1116 Old 01-25-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by extvenginner
Brett_FL - I thought Highlands County was in the Tampa/St. Pete DMA - Using a Sebring zipcode on the Directv website returns a listing of the Stations from Tampa available as local into local . I am considering moving to Highlands from Marco. What gives ???

I have Dish Network and my subscribed locals come out of Tampa but when I called them to get CBS HD they told me I had to contact WINK for the waiver. I do know the local Comcast cable provides WINK as their CBS channel. I am able to pick up OTA channels from Orlando, Tampa, and Ft. Myers but CBS is the hardest one to get but since raising my antenna another 10" I seem to be getting WTSP in Tampa ok with few drop outs. I think once WINK goes DT I will have it made.
post #70 of 1116 Old 01-25-2005, 07:29 PM

Is ur Fox station in this market broadcasting in HD? I believe it is, and if it is, please tell cpanther95 so that this market can be recognized for having fox hd
post #71 of 1116 Old 01-26-2005, 03:53 AM

Brett_FL
Since Wink in HD is going to be 20 Kw in power on Channel 9 - it should be a little better than you get WFLA-DT Tampa (NBC) on channel 7 (19 Kw), it will be about 15 miles closer. I don't think Wink-DT is going to make it to Marco at that power, good luck in Sebring.

Dale

Quote:

Originally posted by Brett_FL
I have Dish Network and my subscribed locals come out of Tampa but when I called them to get CBS HD they told me I had to contact WINK for the waiver. I do know the local Comcast cable provides WINK as their CBS channel. I am able to pick up OTA channels from Orlando, Tampa, and Ft. Myers but CBS is the hardest one to get but since raising my antenna another 10" I seem to be getting WTSP in Tampa ok with few drop outs. I think once WINK goes DT I will have it made.

post #72 of 1116 Old 01-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Anybody have any visual confirmation that WINK has started to construct a tower?

Peace,

DM
post #73 of 1116 Old 01-30-2005, 02:02 PM

Hey guys! I saw one of you got Comcast to turn on DiscoveryHD for you so I decided to call in today and see if they'd do the same for me. I had done this before when I first saw the channel appear back at the beginning of January but all the CSR(some woman from some Carribean island) could do for me was tell me in broken English that I had to wait till the end of the month and call back, said the same regarding CBS. No explanation, info or anything. Not very helpful.

Well, today I got a young man named Ryan as my CSR. He sent the signal to my box to activate DiscHD before he even got on the phone with me! Now that's service. He also spoke intelligently to me about current Comcast HDTV offerings/features(including HDDVR) and the future of their HDTV sytems in our area. Excellent CSR and I'm happy to say that I'll be sticking with Comcast for now because of him (until some other CSR gets my dander up!). And we'll be picking up our HDDVR this week.

So now the bad and not so bad news for whatever it's worth. "HE" said that Comcast wouldn't be seeing WINK HD until the end of this year due to National/Local/ CBS and Comcast negotiations were finalized. He said something about the local deal having to be approved by the national network guys and vice versa. He said the same thing about FOX but we should see it by the middle of the year since the deal has been working for a while.

Now, before you guys flame me, I'm just the messenger. I don't know if he knows what he's talking about or not but he definitely had more info than any CSR I'd come across before. One thing that didn't make sense was his FOX/CBS info was exactly the opposite from what those sources are saying. I'm confused but thought I'd share the info as it's hard to come across for this area.
post #74 of 1116 Old 01-30-2005, 03:28 PM

Hi Brett,

My name Keith Stuhlmann, Director Of Engineering for WINK-TV. After four
years of going through the bureaucratic maze of the FCC in trying to get a
DTV Construction Permit which is required to build a DTV transmission
facility, we finally received it on October 29, 2004. The hold up on the
Construction Permit centered around other stations in Florida challenging
our application.

It will take us about 10 months to get the DTV transmission facility built
and on the air. Because of the long delay in getting our Construction
Permit, we have been making arraignments with the cable TV companies to get
our DTV / HDTV signal into their systems via fiber optics. We hope to have
this feed to the cable companies up and running, hopefully, around April 1. Dish Network
and Direct TV have no plans to include any HD feed from Ft Myers TV stations at this time.

Thanks
Keith Stuhlmann
Director Of Engineering
WINK-TV
post #75 of 1116 Old 01-31-2005, 05:53 AM

That is interesting Brett. This is an email I received from WINK back in mid-January...

"WE ARE WAITING FOR A COUPLE PIECES OF EQUIPMENT THAT ARE NEEDED TO PASS HDTV TO THE LOCAL CABLE SYSTEMS VIA FIBER OPTIC CABLE. WE ARE STILL HOPING TO START IN LATE JANUARY OR EARLY FEBRUARY 2005.

GREGORY STETSON
PROGRAM DIRECTOR"

I wonder if the Comcast CSR mentioned above may be correct and WINK is just keeping us at bay with their responses. Let's hope not.

Mike

FYI - Wink has now updated the HDTV page on their website. It also says a target date of April 1st. We shall see.
post #76 of 1116 Old 01-31-2005, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm here in Naples and was looking to purchase a new HDTV in time for the Masters in early April. But, with the current timetable, it looks like CBS HD might not be available via OTA or Comcast, (My current choices) correct? Guess it's another reason to wait for the new 1080i models coming out this summer.

Brownie
post #77 of 1116 Old 02-05-2005, 09:27 PM

If I were to change over to the ridiciously expensive Time Warner Cable, would I get my local channels in Hi-def ?

Reason being is the signal on my Voom local channels are up and down like a yo-yo. From what I can tell all the best stuff is on the local channels, Stuff like 24, Alias etc... I currently live in Naples Florida. I'm new here to the USA (originally from England) so all this confusing channel naming such as...WFXTFD is still very confusing to me.

With such unreliable local channels it seems I'm paying out what I consider an expensive $70 per month and getting mostly SD repeat crap with a picture quality that's just about bearable.

I think most of the Voom originals though crystal clear and advert free are barely worth watching in all honesty. Ok so it's nice to not have poor quality advertsing rammed down your throat every 10 mins on what seems constant commercial breaks, whilst watching the Voom originals. It's just a shame most of their films are unknown 1 star kind of type. I was shocked to see the Profesional and Groundhog day on them... a breath of fresh air.

Even though their programming is a bit naff, it's a shame with the possible Voom demise, as from what I can tell, no other company has taken HDTV seriously. Actually I'd go as far as to say they are all slowing down the development of HDTV with their lack of support for it. Which is a great shame.

What's the point of spending all that money on a swanky new TV (like I did back in November) when all the other providers only give you a measly couple of hidef channels (WHICH YOU NEED TO PAY $10 per month for ) !!!!!!!!

COME ON !

Discovery HD is about the best, but I'm finding myself watching repeats now.

I refuse to spend any more than $70 per month, therefore I'm not on the Va Va Voom, so I'm missing out on the HBO, Starz etc...

On another note, I need to moan here....why is TV so damn expensive over here in the USA.. DVR is extra !! HDTV extra... can't they just give it to you ? After all you have to spend a grand on the HDTV DVR receiver with Directv. OK I can understand paying out extra for HBO etc, but HDTV should be free and so should DVR !

DVR is free in England on Sky, and most programming is in widescreen Dolby Digital and good enough in pic quality to not need hidef. Here you have to pay for it in way of a monthly subscription, when your blurry NTSC system is crying out for an update, and barely watchable on a big screen.

I thought the US would be further advanced as you pioneer most of this stuff. But you guys are still buying 4:3 TV's and VHS ???????????????????????????????????????? and happy to pay for this stuff when it should be the standard.

These companies are just taking the piss out of the consumer if you ask me, and seriously slowing down the development of HDTV

greed, greed and greed.. Just about sums it all up.
post #78 of 1116 Old 02-07-2005, 04:09 AM

Hi All-
This is the time analog stations have to "elect" whether they are going to use their new DTV channel or their old analog channel as their main frequency after the total transition to digital. Interesting that WINK picked channel 9 and not 11. I hope this means they plan to up the power level sometime in the future. So far, according to the FCC database, stations in FT Myers/Naples are going to use their new channels, and abandon their analog freqs.

Dale
post #79 of 1116 Old 02-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

He said the same thing about FOX but we should see it by the middle of the year since the deal has been working for a while.

Accoring to Fox4's website it doesn't sound to me like they are close to working out a deal. If what the Comcast CSR is saying about WINK is true, then that is ridiculous. WINK has had plenty of time to get their ducks in a row. However, I am really skeptical about believing what any Comcast CSR says.

Quote:

If I were to change over to the ridiciously expensive Time Warner Cable, would I get my local channels in Hi-def ?

The local affiliates of ABC, NBC, & PBS are available in HD right now via TW. Fox, & CBS are not.

Peace,

DM
post #80 of 1116 Old 02-09-2005, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW, I noticed last night (2/8/05) that NBC's broadcast of "Committed" & "Law & Order SVU" were both in DD 5.1 on WBBH.

Peace,

DM
post #81 of 1116 Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 AM

Regarding NBC, Fort Myers.

We live in Englewood and I receive my signal via an OTA antenna on my roof. Sometime around this last weekend (Feb. 18-20) started getting significant pixeling and dropout on NBC from what I am guessing is a low signal level. Signal from other Fort Myers stations remains fine and all is well with my antenna. Did they just change something? Anyone else see any changes? Thanks.
post #82 of 1116 Old 02-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

I saw pixelization from NBC on Wednesday night, and the same thing from PBS on Tuesday night. Not sure why. Both are fine tonight.

Peace,

DM
post #83 of 1116 Old 02-25-2005, 05:02 AM

Finally got around to watching MEDIUM from Monday ( I recorded it with HD Tivo) in the first 5 minutes I had pixelation so bad I just stoped watching it. Now Thursday nights Joey and Will and Grace were ok.
post #84 of 1116 Old 02-26-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cincymart
Finally got around to watching MEDIUM from Monday ( I recorded it with HD Tivo) in the first 5 minutes I had pixelation so bad I just stoped watching it. Now Thursday nights Joey and Will and Grace were ok.

I had pixelation problems with Medium this week as well, and the week before that I had some strange audio problems. It was very very quiet, so I had to turn the volume up pretty high and when commercials started it would blow you away if you didnt hit mute in time So they seem to be having some technical difficulties as of lately...always seems to be during Medium for me though.

This was on NBC HD through Comcast for me, not OTA.
post #85 of 1116 Old 02-26-2005, 08:48 PM

What kind of indoor antennas that would pick up any tv stations from Miami/Tampa in Ft myers??? Sorry, I'm new at this whole thing.
post #86 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doufer
What kind of indoor antennas that would pick up any tv stations from Miami/Tampa in Ft myers??? Sorry, I'm new at this whole thing.

I'm not an antenna expert myself, but I live in Naples and was asking in other forums how I could pickup a signal 30-40 miles away with an indoor antenna. I was basically told fat chance... A "91xg" long range was recommended for me: http://www.antennasdirect.com/LongRangeAntennas.htm. Supposedly max range of any antenna is going to be around 70 miles or so due to the curvature of the earth.

What signals are you trying to pickup from Miami/Tampa anyway? If you live in Ft. Myers you're fairly close to our towers here. Try going to http://www.antennaweb.org, put in your address and stuff and it will tell you how far away from the towers you are and what kind of antenna you need.
post #87 of 1116 Old 03-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by thedoc46

Reason being is the signal on my Voom local channels are up and down like a yo-yo. From what I can tell all the best stuff is on the local channels, Stuff like 24, Alias etc... I currently live in Naples Florida. I'm new here to the USA (originally from England) so all this confusing channel naming such as...WFXTFD is still very confusing to me.

With such unreliable local channels it seems I'm paying out what I consider an expensive $70 per month and getting mostly SD repeat crap with a picture quality that's just about bearable.

I think most of the Voom originals though crystal clear and advert free are barely worth watching in all honesty. Ok so it's nice to not have poor quality advertsing rammed down your throat every 10 mins on what seems constant commercial breaks, whilst watching the Voom originals. It's just a shame most of their films are unknown 1 star kind of type. I was shocked to see the Profesional and Groundhog day on them... a breath of fresh air.

Even though their programming is a bit naff, it's a shame with the possible Voom demise, as from what I can tell, no other company has taken HDTV seriously. Actually I'd go as far as to say they are all slowing down the development of HDTV with their lack of support for it. Which is a great shame.

What's the point of spending all that money on a swanky new TV (like I did back in November) when all the other providers only give you a measly couple of hidef channels (WHICH YOU NEED TO PAY $10 per month for ) !!!!!!!!

COME ON !

Discovery HD is about the best, but I'm finding myself watching repeats now.

I refuse to spend any more than $70 per month, therefore I'm not on the Va Va Voom, so I'm missing out on the HBO, Starz etc...

On another note, I need to moan here....why is TV so damn expensive over here in the USA.. DVR is extra !! HDTV extra... can't they just give it to you ? After all you have to spend a grand on the HDTV DVR receiver with Directv. OK I can understand paying out extra for HBO etc, but HDTV should be free and so should DVR !

DVR is free in England on Sky, and most programming is in widescreen Dolby Digital and good enough in pic quality to not need hidef. Here you have to pay for it in way of a monthly subscription, when your blurry NTSC system is crying out for an update, and barely watchable on a big screen.

I thought the US would be further advanced as you pioneer most of this stuff. But you guys are still buying 4:3 TV's and VHS ???????????????????????????????????????? and happy to pay for this stuff when it should be the standard.

These companies are just taking the piss out of the consumer if you ask me, and seriously slowing down the development of HDTV

greed, greed and greed.. Just about sums it all up.

Please accept my invitation to move yourself and that "swanky HDTV" back to England.
post #88 of 1116 Old 03-01-2005, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
My wife and I have been looking at real estate in the Naples/Ft. Myers area. We have been looking at new construction that offers a bonus room or game room that is large enough to make it suitable as a home theater using a front projector with something around a 120" screen (this has kind of limited the houses we would consider acceptable). Based on the postings in this thread I feel that I have the general picture on what HD channels are available and what's not (CBS) via over-the-air and cable. I do have one question. We are considering new construction in a development is Estero, along Corkscrew 3 miles east of I75 (won't be moving to SW FL until 2006 in that case). I understand that Comcast serves this area (bought out Media One). Do any of you know if they are wiring new developments with fiber trunks and offering digital cable, HD and cable modem services from day one? I'm also a long time Directv customer and have been using their HD service since it was first offered. I may also retain Directv, especially with the planned substantial expansion in HD capacity expected to come online with the new satellites going up over the next 2 years. I currently live in Northern Virginia near DC and we are scheduled to get the HD locals and a new generation of Directv hardware perhaps as soon as the middle of this year, but the move to SW FL will move us back to using cable or over-the-air for the HD locals until Directv offers those to SW FL customers in the 2007 timeframe.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #89 of 1116 Old 03-02-2005, 09:00 PM

is it possible to receive the miam or tampa locals in the ft myers area with a good outside antenna and rotor setup? would i need a pre amp and power amp also? any info appreciated. we don't have a CBS-HD feed and was wondering if i might luck out on getting either tampa or miami?
post #90 of 1116 Old 03-03-2005, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
dapack5's post just merged in.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page