Forum Jump: 

post #1111 of 1116 Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodey View Post

Comcast has a policy(might also be a FCC reg.) that clear QAMs be always be available.

I got a robo-call from Comcast Saturday telling me that ALL channels will soon be encrypted digital and that I would need a DTA for each set to see anything.

See- http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/limited-basic-encryption/

I only got CC for internet- watch OTA and Dish-sat mostly. I don't know if it's even worth keeping CC-basic if I'm going to have to hassle with DTAs.

I'd loved to dump CC completely but these days broadband internet is a virtual necessity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1116 Old 01-20-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just signed up to ask about OTA reception in the GGE (Golden Gate Estates) area, see if anyone knows what kind of setup I'll need.

~~http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94a37dc3c915

I'm only really interested in ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX, anything else I would consider a bonus. I want to get the signal over to 2 TVs. I would prefer an attic mounted setup though I do have tile shingles, not sure if that'll cause serious problems with reception. I was thinking of getting an AntennaCraft HBU22, sticking it in the attic and splitting it to my 2 TVs, that sound do-able?

The thing about my area is that I'm surrounded by tall pine trees. No idea how badly all these long needle pines will degrade a signal, has anyone out here had any success?

I currently use PRISM at the house but given that we barely watch TV and everything we watch is either on Netflix or the local channels, I'd rather go OTA and save a few bucks.

If you do have questions about PRISM though, I could probably answer it since I've had it for a few years now.

post #1113 of 1116 Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Skip the HBU22. All of the Ft Myer stations are UHF so you don't need an antenna with VHF capability.

There are probably at least half a dozen antennas that should work well. A UHF Yagi like the 42XG or the MXU47 would work as would almost any four or eight bay. If you want a compact antenna that you can buy in a local store, you could go with a ClearStream 2 (or 2V) or a ClearStream 4.

Tiles on the roof will have an uncertain amount of signal attenuation. You might need to be prepared to mount the antenna outdoors if needed.
acolon001 likes this.
post #1114 of 1116 Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Many thanks, Should I worry about using any kind of preamp at this point?

Looks like i'll go with the 42XG since it's the cheapest currently.

I appreciate the input :)

post #1115 of 1116 Old 01-21-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Outdoors, no pre-amp is needed. Behind clay tiles, it might be needed or it might be useless. Try the RCA TVPRAMP1 if you're so inclined to have one on hand. It's inexpensive and is actually a decent performer.
acolon001 likes this.
post #1116 of 1116 Old 02-18-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Outdoors, no pre-amp is needed. Behind clay tiles, it might be needed or it might be useless. Try the RCA TVPRAMP1 if you're so inclined to have one on hand. It's inexpensive and is actually a decent performer.

Got a U4000 4 bay antenna, it ended up being the cheapest at the time of purchase. In the attic with no amp I got 3 actual stations solid and 4 were cutting out frequently (I'm not counting the virtual channels since technically they ride the same "actual channel" right?).

I hadn't ordered the preamp yet so I stopped by Home Depot and they only had a distribution amp that had a ~4db gain to it. So I bought it just to see how much an amp would help me out. The stations that were cutting out improved enough that they were fairly solid, though their signal was still pretty low on the diag tool but at least they weren't cutting out and I picked up one more station. Total of 17 virtual channels. I'll return the dist amp and replace it with that preamp. So now I pickup everything in the 330-340 azimuth minus the last two which are too weak to pickup.

I was pretty worried that the vast swath of pine trees between me and the towers was going to make it ridiculously hard to get a signal and TBH at first I thought I was correct as my Toshiba refused to find anything at all during my scans. It wasn't till I tried my Sony Google TV in the bedroom that I figured out it was just the junk tuner in my Toshiba causing my headaches.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page