post #151 of 1116 Old 08-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not much new info, but I did get this reply from WINK just today:

Quote:

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) granted Fort Myers Broadcasting Company our DTV construction permit for WINK-DT on October 29, 2004. We are currently in the process of constructing our digital transmission facility. We are trying to get our over-the-air signal, channel 9, to our viewers by late October 2005. WINK-TV's HD signal will originate at its current tower facility in
Northern Lee County on Route 31.

Due to a longer than expected timetable for construction, delivery and installation of our digital studio facilities, our revised target date for providing you with CBS' HDTV programs via cable is August 2005, assuming we are successful in negotiating a retransmission agreement with the local Comcast and Time Warner Cable systems.

Once again, we apologize for the delay, and will continue to do our best to expedite the delivery of CBS HDTV programming into your home, via cable and over-the-air.

In the meantime, we hope you will continue to enjoy watching WINK-TV's highly respected news programs and quality entertainment programs.

Please know that we value you as a viewer and thank you for your patience.

Gregory Stetson
Program Director

Peace,

DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1116 Old 08-16-2005, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished visiting my folks in Ft. Myers and helping my Dad understand his new HDTV setup with Comcast. It's pretty pitiful that they still don't have FOX or CBS. Pretty bad if you're a football fan. Also, his lower analog channels look pretty bad as well, but I'm thinking that could be because of bad wiring in his house. Any chance Comcast will offer all channels digitally in the near future? I know Time Warner does that where I live.
post #153 of 1116 Old 08-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

That's why there's a satellite dish on every other house down here.

I used to have Comcast cable so I understand your Dad's frustration.

Peace,

DM
post #154 of 1116 Old 08-17-2005, 12:11 AM

I live in Cape Coral and what is sad is that Time Warner expects me to pay for OTA HD local channels. This is really annoying since my TV has a built in tuner. The best part is like jdougjones has found out they dont even have FOX which I get easily OTA with a cheap $30.00 atenna.

jdougjones,
If your fathers TV has a built in tuner you should just grab an antenna he should be able to get FOX, ABC, NBC, and PBS HD.
Also CBS is going online in October I called WinkTV and they said they are confident of making this date. I hope they hurry up Dolphins season is rapidly approaching it would be nice if I got to see 75% or so of the season in HD

If anyone is receiving local HD channels by plugging there cable directly to there tv i would appreciate if you could tell me if maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've read on this forum that the cable companies are required to broadcast local HD channels unscrambled over basic cable lines. I think they are getting around this by placing there channels in the 200 range. For instance NBC-HD is on channel 202 and PBS is on channel 203. The tuner in most TVs will not go this high. I guess I'm stuck using an antenna. I just refuse to give them more money for stuff that should be free.
post #155 of 1116 Old 08-17-2005, 04:13 AM

When my Dad decided to get HDTV we weighed the various options and cable seemed like the best deal at the moment. He has five TVs setup, his house isn't wired well and would have required some work for satellite and doesn't lend itself to setting up an antenna for OTA. I have D* myself with with two SD Tivos and one HD Tivo and get my locals OTA and I'm very happy with it. But, I couldn't see him having to pay for all those receivers and getting the wiring straightend out. Sounds like he should have WINK before long, but it doesn't sound like cable and FOX are making much progress.
post #156 of 1116 Old 08-17-2005, 05:58 PM

I live in North Englewood and receive all the digital stations currently on the air from Fort Myers on my roof top anttnna wthout moving it. Some stations broadcast digitally in both SD and HD. I get ABC, FOX, PBS, NBC, and WB(currently SD only). CBS should be no problem once they are on the air.

I'll be darned if I will pay Comcast a premium to get these stations in HD.
post #157 of 1116 Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 PM

I know most who have posted here are OTA-ers, but this is the best forum/site I've found, and everyone seems passionate about discussing our local HD issues in SWFL.

I purchased my first HD-capable set (a small LCD for my office) last summer and upgraded my Time Warner (Cape Coral) package to HD.

So I'm sitting here watching MNF on ABC|HD and I'm getting grumpier and grumpier. Here we are the start of another NFL season and both WFTX and WINK have yet to agree to rebroadcast agreements with Time Warner and Comcast.

WFTX has offered the same statement for well over a year now. After revising (pushing back) their delivery estimate a gazillion times, WINK has finally come up with a a draft without an actual date (gee, that was wise).

I know markets across the country are seeing the same issues with local stations and cable companies unable to reach agreements on re-broadcast, but isn't there something that consumers can do to apply some heat? They've been providing the same pre-packaged excuses for well over a year. Where do WINK, WFTX (and their parent networks?) actually stand with the negotiations? Are they actually trying to strike an agreement or just stalling until network giants and cable monopolies sort things out?

Further complicating the issue was this merger announcement of Time Warner/Comast. I understand all of SWFL will be converted to Comcast. When does this change take place, and how does it effect Time Warner customers? I haven't seen any details yet... Of course channels will change and pricing will differ, and I assume our hardware (STBs) won't require any updating... But I can't wait to see how this will effect Road Runner services - and if/how they are going to migrate users to the comcastnet domain - but that's a whole other mess.

Alas, I absolutely cannot part with my cable modem service, and I would need a set-top tuner ($250??) and an antenna set-up to grab OTA on my set - so I guess I'll just suffer on and hope for these peeps start to pick up the pace. Looks like local CBS and FOX will get their act together just in time for half the NFL games to switch to NBC in '06 anyhow
post #158 of 1116 Old 08-29-2005, 10:59 PM

jp4444,

I'm feeling your pain man. I've been emailing WINK begging them to get this crap with Cape Coral/TW sorted out. We all know its about money. TW wants the signal for free but the Networks spent all this money on HD equipment and are trying to recoup some of there money.

Meanwhile Dolphins fans like me have to watch our team on crappy SD.

I think as a show of faith to there customers CBS and Fox should let TW broadcast the signal why they work out the deal. The networks make there money off advertisements not subscription fees so I dont really see what the problem is.

If your a Bucs fan it might be worth it to buy a Settop box. At least then you could pull in FOX HD OTA. Wink doesnt have any HD OTA or Cable.

I dont know how the Comcast takeover is going to affect us. Who knows maybe it will be a good thing and they'll negotiate with Fox and Wink better than TW has.
post #159 of 1116 Old 08-30-2005, 05:26 AM

dolfan,
thanks for the reply

Yea, I'm a Bucs fan- I just haven't gotten the motivation to buy more hardware and muck with an antenna yet, plus I'm moving soon. At least last year they were on MNF 2 or 3 times, so I got to see them in HD a bit. When I get an HD set for my living room (sporting a built-in tuner of course), I'm sure i'll do something if Fox isn't carried on cable yet. So ridiculous.

The merger/whatever definitely will delay things even more for us Time Warner customers in my opinion... Now that WINK and WFTX know that Time Warner is to be phased out, they're naturally not going to bother haggling with them anymore (?). So I'm betting we'll be waiting for everything to switch over to Comcast before we get WINK/WFTX on cable, even if they come to an agreement sooner...

So here's hopin the switch comes as soon as freakin possible - Comcast already carries NFL Network too.
post #160 of 1116 Old 09-02-2005, 08:10 AM

I feel your pain with WINK
I email them every few months, and it is the same story...

Sucks I could be seeing my Dolphins in HD!
Not to meantion how many CBS season passes on HD we are missing

Waterman Broadcasting (ABC & NBC) has been on the air for 4 years with HD!
post #161 of 1116 Old 09-02-2005, 09:39 AM

Here is the letter they sent me today when I asked if they were still on track for over the air in Sept, seeing it was Sept.
Quote:

We will not be on the air this month with an over the air HD signal.
It has been a long and difficult road in getting HDTV broadcasts from
WINK-TV. We had a 4 1/2 year ordeal with the FCC (due to other parties
contesting our DTV channel) in getting our DTV Construction Permit, which is
required before we can begin building the DTV/HDTV transmission system. We
were finally granted that Construction Permit on October 29, 2004. We have
been moving as fast as possible to get this built. Crews are on the tower
installing the transmission lines and antennas.

We need to have our transmitter building expanded to accommodate the new
transmission equipment. The new transmitter is ready to ship from the
manufacturer, but I need the building expansion completed before I can have
them ship it. We have filed plans with Charlotte County (that is where the
transmission site is) for the building expansion and are awaiting their
approval. Keep in mind that Charlotte County was devastated by Hurricane
Charley and that has backed up their Planning and Zoning Department.

We have rebuilt our Studio for DTV/HDTV. We are prepared to send the cable
systems an HDTV feed via fiber optic cable. We are in negotiations with them
on that and hope to have that up and running very soon.

In addition to all of this, our DTV Construction Permit is still being
contested (which led to our 4 1/2 year ordeal with the FCC) and the FCC has
not resolved this as of yet.

This has been just as frustrating for us as it has been for our viewers. At
least there is light at the end of this tunnel.

Thanks
Keith Stuhlmann
Director Of Engineering
WINK-TV/ AM / FM

When I sent them a reply that I wasn't looking for a generic reply, because I was familar with all that, and I was looking for When they expected to be OTA, they wrote me this

Quote:

Once Charlotte County signs off and gives us a building permit, it will take 2 1/2 to 3 months to build the building. Our contractor is now ordering all the construction materials to build it, so when the permit comes through, they can get right to work. As it looks right now, it will probably not be until after the first of the year when we would have the DTV/HDTV over the air signal on.

Man that SUCKS!!!!
post #162 of 1116 Old 09-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

How depressing! Always good to have more specifics, but that stinks. Thanks for passing along the info Snook.

Peace,

DM
post #163 of 1116 Old 09-06-2005, 11:49 PM

Thanks Snook789 for the update.

The thing that irritates me is fine you cant get the tower built until the beginning of next year. That doesnt explain what the problem with the cable feed is. I'll be just as happy to watch this weekends game in HD over TW cable. According to the letter they sent you its all ready to go they just have to shake on it and throw the switch.

Usually the Dolphins are on MNF a couple times a year. But because of the terrible year they had last year no Dolphins in HD on ABC either.

Oh well HD or not I cant wait for the season to get started I've been watching them in SD for about 18 years I guess one more season wont kill me

GO FINS.
post #164 of 1116 Old 09-10-2005, 07:59 AM

I am a new member but have been checking out this thread for some time. I wanted to let you guys know that when I got home last night to my suprise I found CBSHD Channel 182 available on my comcast cable guide. I thought it was to good to be true so i hit select and there was HD women's tennis. Can't wait for NFL Football tomorrow and Florida football next week! It's been a long time coming. Go Gators!
post #165 of 1116 Old 09-10-2005, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

KPabst,

I second your statement. Too bad CBS won't be showing up soon as an OTA channel on my HDTivo anytime soon. Enjoy.

Peace,

DM
post #166 of 1116 Old 09-12-2005, 07:01 PM

anyone having problems with ota ABC ? ( WZVN-DT ABC7 )

It has been going in an out all night on the Eagles Falcons game, and did the same thing the other night on a LOST eps.

I have it in very strong at 95%...
post #167 of 1116 Old 09-12-2005, 09:52 PM

Snook789,

Yes I have been having trouble to. I keep getting blocks and audiostutters. It has something to do with the station.

I tried both OTA and over TW and it was doing the same thing. My friend also confirmed its doing the same on his TV.

Kpabst,

I sure hope youre right about CBS and I hope it comes in on TW also. I'm gonna have to check it out. Thanks.
post #168 of 1116 Old 09-13-2005, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Ditto on ABC, but it has been that way since Saturday when I noticed it watching college football. The DirectTV local channel was fine, but the OTA & cable version of ABC was having problems.

Peace,

DM
post #169 of 1116 Old 09-13-2005, 05:51 AM

Dolfan Jay,

Yes im sure about CBSHD channel, not to rub it in but the dolphins game looked sweet on sunday. As for the OTA fox station im not so sure, the bucs game looked like digital (widescreen) but not HD. Does any body have a clue as to what this might be. I noticed that on NFL Primetime the highlights of the game didn't look as good as some of the others mainly the CBS games, could fox be multicasting and therefore putting out a lower resolution? I actually called and talked to someone in fox's engineering department who was no help!
post #170 of 1116 Old 09-13-2005, 11:04 AM

Ditto on the CBSHD at Comcast 182. It had CSI Miami on in HD with Dolby Digital last night. FINALLY. Can't wait for the weekly SEC games.

Maybe WINK's deal with Comcast will set a precedent for WFTX to get their deal worked out. We can always hope can't we.

I had the same audio dropouts(unbearable) and video pixelation/freezing etc. on MFN last night. Very dissapointing. I just figured it was due to the degraded cable singal in my cheap ass Beazer house. I'm considering rerunning my CATV wiring with homeruns to a centralized amplifier at the point of entry to the house. What a pain though.
post #171 of 1116 Old 09-27-2005, 07:25 AM

I had Comcast out yesterday to address my poor signal problems. They relocated my signal amp and replace my splitters with better ones. Less audio/video dropouts were evident last night. Signal on the built in Hitachi signal meter went from 72 out of 100 before the service call to 82 out of 100 after the service call....and that's at the first jack in the daisey chain line. I don't know what it is in the living room(the last jack). Does the Comcast HDTV DVR box have a built in signal meter?
post #172 of 1116 Old 10-02-2005, 12:13 PM

I'm a Comcast subscriber in Naples and I don't receive *any* shows in dolby digital 5.1. I know not all shows do, but many do and even advertise it...say Lost on ABC-HD for example.

My question is this; is this a Comcast problem or are the local affiliates (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc) not transmitting it? Just curious which tree I need to bark up

Thanks
post #173 of 1116 Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

I emailed NBC2 trying to figure out why Saturday Night Live was not in HD Saturday. Got a reply from the Director of Technical Services saying it will be fixed for next week.

Peace,

DM
post #174 of 1116 Old 10-03-2005, 10:41 PM

thanks DM!

Have you been receiving WB in HD the past few Friday nights ?
post #175 of 1116 Old 10-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

No sir, I haven't even noticed. What shows? Why just Friday nights?

Peace,

DM
post #176 of 1116 Old 10-22-2005, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FOX 4 HD has been giving me fits since the PSIP went from 35.01 to 36.01. I have a DISH 811 and it worked perfectly before. It hiccups regularly and is unwatchable.

On my normal TV, FOX 4 has done a nice job with the graphics on covering this storm tonight.

CapeFish

post #177 of 1116 Old 10-22-2005, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some more caps:

CapeFish

post #178 of 1116 Old 10-23-2005, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some caps from NBC2:

CapeFish

post #179 of 1116 Old 10-23-2005, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ABC7 Caps:

CapeFish

post #180 of 1116 Old 10-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Does anybody know if WINK'S DT tower that is under construction was damaged by Wilma?

On a side note, big Kudos to DirecTV! This was my first hurricane with them and I NEVER lost the signal. In contrast, I lost my Comcast service by 6 AM on Monday as the storm was just getting interesting.

Peace,

DM
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page