Fort Myers, FL - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1116 Old 10-26-2005, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sure that the storm will give WINK another excuse to delay HDTV broadcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1116 Old 10-26-2005, 05:22 PM

CBSHD and WBHD

Does anybody else notice excessive pixelization on CBSHD football games? It's really dissapointing to see fast moving pictures ,especially closeups, degrade into so many pixels.

Regarding the WBHD....the audio /video sync hasn't been been right since I've tuned it in. Has anybody had any luck with it syncing up?
post #183 of 1116 Old 10-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Any one have any info if Comcast has any chance of getting FOX HD soon? Will be down @ Christmas & would like to watch My Bears beat the Packers Xmas day in HD. If not, I'll bring down my OTA receiver that's stored away & buy an indoor antenna & try to get it OTA. Anyone have any luck getting FOX HD OTA with an indoor antenna from the North Naples (Wiggins Pass & 41) area?
post #184 of 1116 Old 10-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I'm guessing you guys are seeing WBHD on Comcast, right? I get the digital channel over the air, but have seen nothing in HD.

Peace,

DM
post #185 of 1116 Old 10-28-2005, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_FL View Post

I am sure that the storm will give WINK another excuse to delay HDTV broadcast.

You nailed it, I was thinking the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex24 View Post

CBSHD and WBHD
Regarding the WBHD....the audio /video sync hasn't been been right since I've tuned it in. Has anybody had any luck with it syncing up?

I sent WTVK-DT WB 6 an email back on the 18th about being in an out of HD durring shows, and lip sync.
This was their reply:

Tim,

Yes, we are aware of these things. Most of the problems have been caused by a faulty HD receiver. Since the WB is only in high def at night, it is hard to trouble shoot problems during the day. I would say most of the bugs have now been worked out.

If you see any further problems, feel free to email me.

Jack L. Spiess
Chief Engineer
WTVK-TV/DT

I haven't watched since (been without power) but if you see the problem still, here is Jack's email
jack.spiess@wb6tv.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman87 View Post

Anyone have any luck getting FOX HD OTA with an indoor antenna from the North Naples (Wiggins Pass & 41) area?

Should be a piece of cake with OTA indoor antenna from there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoM View Post

So I'm guessing you guys are seeing WBHD on Comcast, right? I get the digital channel over the air, but have seen nothing in HD.

Peace,

DM

I get WB HD OTA
post #186 of 1116 Old 10-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, so what shows am I looking for that will be in High Def on WB? Titan TV shows nothing in HD on tonight (Friday).

Peace,

DM
post #187 of 1116 Old 10-28-2005, 11:46 AM

HD Starts @ 8:00
What I like about you, Reba, Twins
LL
post #188 of 1116 Old 10-30-2005, 06:43 PM

I have a new system, and I am also using the 811. All the local HD channels look great, but wftx 36.1 looks the best but it constantly cuts out, the signal strength runs between 87 and 92, I just picked up another antenna and its the same. I'm using RCA round antenna with power and I just tried a Phillips round type without power. If I need to put an antenna on the roof I will, I just want to be sure it will work. Again, of the local channels WFTX has the best picture, but it drops off and is unwatchable.

[quote=CapeFish]FOX 4 HD has been giving me fits since the PSIP went from 35.01 to 36.01. I have a DISH 811 and it worked perfectly before. It hiccups regularly and is unwatchable.

On my normal TV, FOX 4 has done a nice job with the graphics on covering this storm tonight.
post #189 of 1116 Old 10-31-2005, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

WFTX really has dropped the ball lately. They had the best HD signal before they did something to the PSIP moving to 36.1 and now they are crappy. The hiccups are annoying and lock my DISH 811 up. Anyone have a contact at WFTX FOX 4 at all?

CapeFish

post #190 of 1116 Old 11-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Just returned after the summer front the great white north. Fired up my 62" Mits. Mits which has an internal HDTV receiver connected to an OTA antenna. Everything great except FOX 4, WFTX. Picture looks OK BUT sound rapidly cuts in and out either through the TV or digital feed to my Yamaha receiver. Signal strength is 9. On the receiver, the thing is cycling rapidly between Pro Logic and Dolby Digital.

Any thoughts?

Plan to call them Monday.
post #191 of 1116 Old 11-06-2005, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg41 View Post

Plan to call them Monday.

when you call, tell them their is many others in a forum you visit with the same problems, as you see in the thread.
So it is not a problem on our end..
post #192 of 1116 Old 11-06-2005, 02:57 PM

I'm about to buy my first HDTV (Sony LCD?). I am currently a Comcast customer. I plan to use a CableCard and avoid an STB.

No one has mentioned CableCards in this forum. Am I in for the typical Comcast problems? Or is no longer an issue in this area.

Your insight or experience appreciated.

peter
post #193 of 1116 Old 11-07-2005, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook789 View Post

when you call, tell them their is many others in a forum you visit with the same problems, as you see in the thread.
So it is not a problem on our end..

I talked to FOX4 this morning and they have gotten a few calls on the sound problem. The station engineer says the problem is likely in the data stream and he will be taking action this morning to see if he can get it fixed.
post #194 of 1116 Old 11-08-2005, 04:51 PM

By this afternoon the sound problem on FOX4 had been fixed. This is the second time I dealt with FOX4 and Emmis Communications, its' parent company. The last time the problem turned out to be mine but then as now they are extremely professional and very helpful.
post #195 of 1116 Old 11-10-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerM3 View Post

I'm about to buy my first HDTV (Sony LCD?). I am currently a Comcast customer. I plan to use a CableCard and avoid an STB.

No one has mentioned CableCards in this forum. Am I in for the typical Comcast problems? Or is no longer an issue in this area.

Your insight or experience appreciated.

peter

I've got a CableCard from comcast in my Hitachi plasma. I really like it. Picture quality is steller but don't know if a STB would be any worse. Only two downsides that I see....1. No Guide/TV Schedule and 2. Start up is a tad slow but that could be my set's problem. The set turns on and then makes me aware the card is installed and then I can change channels. Takes about 5-10 seconds to "boot Up". Sometimes it comes up with a grey screen that says I'm not authorized to use and to call a this number to activate but I just exit that screen and I'm off and running. This is on a bedroom set and the lack of clutter from a STB is nice. I was apprehensive after what I had read about the cards but mine seems to work great.

On a side note we had an HDDVR installed on my Mits at the same time. We LOVE it. My wife was a little apprehensive at first but now she can't live without it. I find the pause and rewind features are getting used more and more often. HD quality of the recordings is excellent at well. Only glitch has been a Dolby Digital problem that a simple unplug and plug back in resolved.
post #196 of 1116 Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 AM

For those that have been having problems with OTA ABC7 reception with pixeling and sound dropout, I called ABC7 on Monday and it looks like it got fixed yesterday.
post #197 of 1116 Old 11-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Good to hear. It ruined the Monday Night Football experience.

Peace,

DM
post #198 of 1116 Old 11-21-2005, 11:23 AM

With a new Sony Bravia, I'm not picking up local HD stations from
Comcast cable. I am getting 5 digital(?) programs from Comcast (channel
200 & above) - movie previews, sports previews, etc. The Sony Bravia
specs say it has these tuners: 8 VSB, ATSC, NTSC, Clear QAM. I have the
cable connected to the cable input and have performed the auto-scan
for stations. Also tried going directly to 20.1, etc as reported by
CheckHD. Still nothing.

I know there are local HD stations here and I thought they were to be
carried in the clear on cable.

What am I doing wrong?

peter
post #199 of 1116 Old 11-22-2005, 12:42 PM

Anyone home in Ft. Myers?

peter
post #200 of 1116 Old 11-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Do you have a cable card capable tv? Or do you have the HDTV cable box? If neither of these you need an antenna to receive the hi def channels.
post #201 of 1116 Old 12-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

...has anybody heard an update on WINK's live air date for channel 9?

The HD page on their website hasn't been touched since August.

Peace,

DM
post #202 of 1116 Old 12-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Not getting MNF tonight. Signal test shows ABC's DT channel 41 peaked out at 92-95 signal strenght, but still no picture, no sound, no nothing.

HD Tivo says "Searching for signal." Anybody else having this issue tonight?

Peace,

DM
post #203 of 1116 Old 12-05-2005, 09:26 PM

Had trouble too-previously was 26, not 41. What changed? Have Dish and had to run the HD search twice before 41-1 and 41-2 showed up. 41-2 turned out to be the HD channel for ABC. What gives?
post #204 of 1116 Old 12-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think anything has changed. ABC7's digital frequency has always been 41, but my HD Tivo remaps it to 26-1 & 26-2. Those two channels are coming up blank w/ a message saying "channel not found...searching for signal." Yet when I go to test the signal strength of the UHF 41, it is very strong (95-ish).

This morning, it was the same. Haven't been home today.

Peace,

DM
post #205 of 1116 Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

I was reading Fox 4's website yesterday, promted by an article stating they had been sold to a new company, when I ran across their statment regarding HD and how they feel they are entitled to $$$ from the cable companies to allow carriage of their digital signal. I today responded with this e-mail:

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to comment on your statement regarding your refusal to come to an agreement with cable companies to carry your digital signal. Let me preface this by saying that I am a Comcast subscriber in the Chicago area, where Comcast does carry the 4 major networks, plus WB, digital signals. My mother is a Comcast subscriber in Naples & not able to receive FOX HD due to this dispute. As I'm sure you are aware, FOX HD is the only one of the 4 major networks HD stations not carried there.

What I would like to comment on is this quote from your online statement:

Cable operators currently want us to give them this signal for free, while they then turn around and charge their customers a monthly fee to receive their digital tier. This is not good business, and our company has taken a hard line on the issue. Why are operators willing to pay other programming providers such as HGTV, ESPN, A&E and others and are not willing to pay WFTX-TV for a digital programming service that provides NFL, NASCAR, the Super bowl and other highly watched programming? It makes no sense.

This is not a true statement, at least as far as Comcast is concerned. The only additional charge thru Comcast is for the monthly rental of the Digital tuner. Comcast has not placed the network HD channels on a Digital tier. I confirmed this with Comcast this AM. You only need to subscribe to the HD package to receive the HD channels in that package, not the HD versions of the OTA stations. Since they are not receiving additional fees to have your digital channel on their system, why would your company be entitled to any additional monies from them? In my opinion, the only thing you are succeeding in doing by this is restricting people from getting the HD version of your station. That doesn't seem to make very good business sense to me.

I my very interested in hearing your response. Please contact me by return email or by phone.

I am curious to see if I will hear from them. If I do, will post the response.
post #206 of 1116 Old 12-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

I never got a response directly from FOX 4, so I wrote a quick note to their new owner, Journal Broadcasting. Heard back from them within a day. Here's my letter & the response:

Subject: Cable carriage of WFTX Fort Myers.

I sent this Email letter to WFTX 12/7 and have not heard a response:

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to comment on your statement regarding your refusal to come to an agreement with cable companies to carry your digital signal. Let me preface this by saying that I am a Comcast subscriber in the Chicago area, where Comcast does carry the 4 major networks, plus WB, digital signals. My mother is a Comcast subscriber in Naples & not able to receive FOX HD due to this dispute. As I'm sure you are aware, FOX HD is the only one of the 4 major networks HD stations not carried there.

What I would like to comment on is this quote from your online statement:
Cable operators currently want us to give them this signal for free, while they then turn around and charge their customers a monthly fee to receive their digital tier. This is not good business, and our company has taken a hard line on the issue. Why are operators willing to pay other programming providers such as HGTV, ESPN, A&E and others and are not willing to pay WFTX-TV for a digital programming service that provides NFL, NASCAR, the Super bowl and other highly watched programming? It makes no sense.

This is not a true statement, at least as far as Comcast is concerned. The only additional charge thru Comcast is for the monthly rental of the Digital tuner. Comcast has not placed the network HD channels on a Digital tier. I confirmed this with Comcast this AM. You only need to subscribe to the HD package to receive the HD channels in that package, not the HD versions of the OTA stations. Since they are not receiving additional fees to have your digital channel on their system, why would your company be entitled to any additional monies from them? In my opinion, the only thing you are succeeding in doing by this is restricting people from getting the HD version of your station. That doesn't seem to make very good business sense to me.

I my very interested in hearing your response. Please contact me by return email or by phone.

Since Journal Communications has purchased WFTX, I was wondering if there was a change in philosophy regarding this? As I stated, I live in Northern Illinois and do receive WTMJ 4 digital signal OTA. I have also noticed that WTMJ digital is carried by all of the Time Warner cable systems in Southern Wisconsin. I'm sorry but I haven't been able to research your other digital stations to see if they are carried by the cable systems in each area. I would be interested in hearing where things stand as of now with this issue in Ft Myers.

Thank you for your time in reading this. I look forward to hearing from you.

Response:

Thank you for your note. We are very early in the ownership of WFTX. While I cannot make any guarantees on the station's HD signal, you have correctly noted that WTMJ is on the digital tier in Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin. Furthermore, all of the Journal Broadcast Group stations are offer their HD signals on cable.

That said, negotiations take time. We hope to come to agreement with Comcast in the future.

Thanks again for your note.

Sounds encouraging to me.
post #207 of 1116 Old 12-17-2005, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

I'm going to be an old man before WINK begins broadcasting HDTV over the air.

Their website has been updated.

Peace,

DM
post #208 of 1116 Old 12-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the link Dave.
post #209 of 1116 Old 12-17-2005, 07:08 PM

Thanks for posting that Dave

I just have to laugh reading that
"transmitter is ready to ship from the manufacturer."
I think I have an email over a year ago that has that same very line in it.
They just try to make it sound like it is going to be anytime now.....
WINK is a JOKE
post #210 of 1116 Old 12-18-2005, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Agreed.

They won't return my emails anymore. I keep reminding them that the first station in the US went live w/ HD in 1996.

It is now almost 2006 and they still don't have their act together.

Peace,

DM
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page