AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   Fort Myers, FL - HDTV (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/445381-fort-myers-fl-hdtv.html)

CapeFish 09-12-2004 10:53 AM

WBBH-DT Fort Myers NBC - 1080i
NBC network programs, select syndicated programs such as Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy along with Ellen, and local news offered in HD
(20.1 NBC HD | 20.2 NBC2 News Now) Signal Map
E-Mail: HDTV@water.net (Waterman Broadcasting HDTV Feedback)
Lee Phone: (239) 939-2020 (General, ask for Engineering)
Collier Phone: (239) 261-8820 (General, ask for Engineering)
Charlotte Phone: (941) 575-9224 (General, ask for Engineering)

WZVN-DT Naples ABC - 720p
ABC network programs, select syndicated programs such as Dr. Phil and Entertainment Tonight, and local news offered in HD
(26.1 ABC HD | 26.2 MeTV) Signal Map
E-Mail: HDTV@water.net (Waterman Broadcasting HDTV Feedback)
Lee Phone: (239) 939-2020 (General, ask for Engineering)
Collier Phone: (239) 261-8820 (General, ask for Engineering)
Charlotte Phone: (941) 575-9224 (General, ask for Engineering)

WINK-DT Fort Myers CBS - 1080i
CBS network programs, select syndicated programs, and local News offered in HD
(11.1 CBS HD | 11.2 WINK News Now 24/7) Signal Map
E-Mail: engineering@winktv.com (WINK Engineering Dept.)
Phone: 239-334-1111 (General, ask for Engineering)

WFTX-DT Cape Coral FOX - 720p
FOX network programs & Pre-season Buccaneers Football offered in HD
(36.1 FOX HD | 36.2 LATV) Signal Map
E-Mail: mmayne@fox4now.com (Mike Mayne, WFTX Chief Engineer)
Phone: (239) 574-3636 (General, ask for Engineering)

WGCU-DT Fort Myers PBS - 1080i
PBS network programs in HD
(30.1 PBS HD | 30.2 World | 30.3 Create/Encore | 30.4 FKN) Signal Map
E-Mail: jmaggio@fgcu.edu (Joseph Maggio, WGCU Chief Engineer)
Phone: (239) 590-2380 (Engineering)

WXCW-DT Naples CW - 1080i
CW network programs, select syndicated programs, and local News offered in HD
(46.1 CW HD) Signal Map
E-Mail: engineering@winktv.com (WINK Engineering Dept. handles CW6 as well)
Phone: 239-334-1111 (General, ask for Engineering)

WRXY-DT Tice CTN - 480i
(49.1 WRXY | 49.2 CTNi) Signal Map
E-Mail: stevan@wrxytv.com (Stevan Speheger, WRXY Chief Engineer)
Phone: 239.543.7200 (General, ask for Engineering)

Key: HD Network/Syndicated Programming | HD Local News & Network/Syndicated Programming | SD Digital Only

Final Fort Myers Digital Television Allotments in 2009

Local Cable Providers
Comcast - SW Florida
Marco Cable - Marco Island

Local Telco Providers
CenturyLink - SW Florida (New U-Verse style IPTV service coming soon!)

National Satellite Providers
Dish Network - Offers national HD channels along with FSN Florida HD & Sun Sports HD in Florida. Fort Myers Locals in SD and HD.
DirecTV - Offers national HD channels along with FSN Florida HD & Sun Sports HD in Florida. Fort Myers Locals in SD and HD.

CPanther95 09-16-2004 06:00 AM

Thanks, CapeFish. Nice summary.

CapeFish 09-17-2004 05:31 PM

Thank you CPanther95. I don't have the ability to watch them right now due to a move I made and Time Warner isn't out to where I live yet, but that is all I know and could find.

extvenginner 09-28-2004 03:18 PM

First Post-
I can't receive WGCU-DT at all OTA- rest of the DTV stations seem to be just fine. I realize that they are only running 50 Kilowatts and they are over 60 miles from me- but I wonder if there is another problem, I never see even a hint of a signal. WTVK-DT the WB seems to be off the air since Jeanne, but I got it also before that Hurricane visit. I get most of the Miami and West Palm DTV stations after dark about 50 % of the time- so I wonder if the Hugues receiver has a problem with WGCU's stream.

snook789 10-07-2004 05:22 AM

I contact a local CBS station here WINK-TL in Ft Myers, about 1 1/2 ago asking how long before they would be broadcasting in HDTV.
They told me they had construction would take 6-12 or so, and that they should be up.

Deceided to send them another email, to see how things were progressing, and they wrote they were waiting on construction permit from the FCC ?

Could this be the case, that they are waiting on the FCC ?

They wrote
"WINK-TV has been waiting for a ruling from the FCC on our the final channel assignment for HDTV. In Mid-November 2002 we got tentative approval for a new channel assignment,Channel 9, and now we are waiting for a construction permit from the FCC.
As soon as WINK-TV gets the final approval from the FCC we will begin construction of our facility for HDTV. The construction will take six to twelve months."

This is the same time table I got a year and 1/2 ago.
To me I think they are putting the blaim on the FCC when it is them that just hasn't done the construction yet.
Before I respond to them, I figure this would be the place to ask, if what they are stating, sounds like it could be correct

Thanks!

snook789 10-07-2004 07:03 PM

hmm, don't know why my post was moved to this thread
My questions was more to if it is true a station could be waiting on construction permit from the FCC, then the station itself....

very few on this forum are SWFL so this may not get the responds/answers I was looking for

CPanther95 10-07-2004 07:37 PM

What they're saying is a definite possibility. As far as the 1 1/2 year time delay, I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find the link to the fcc website that has listings of the actual status.

CPanther95 10-07-2004 08:48 PM

Check the FCC site below. From what I've seen, it seems consistent with what they are saying. Search for the following File#: BPCDT-19991029ADW

FCC File Search

CapeFish 10-16-2004 03:47 PM

WFTX is in HD on 36.2 according to TitanTV.

CapeFish 10-16-2004 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by extvenginner
First Post-
I can't receive WGCU-DT at all OTA- rest of the DTV stations seem to be just fine. I realize that they are only running 50 Kilowatts and they are over 60 miles from me- but I wonder if there is another problem, I never see even a hint of a signal. WTVK-DT the WB seems to be off the air since Jeanne, but I got it also before that Hurricane visit. I get most of the Miami and West Palm DTV stations after dark about 50 % of the time- so I wonder if the Hugues receiver has a problem with WGCU's stream.

Marco is quite a bit away...I would email or call WGCU.

obsidian 10-17-2004 03:27 PM

Anyone know how well you can pickup FOX HD OTA from Naples?

thx,
-Obsidian

CapeFish 10-18-2004 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by obsidian
Anyone know how well you can pickup FOX HD OTA from Naples?

thx,
-Obsidian

Here is the FCC's map for WFTX-DT

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT593967.html

Mediccc24 10-23-2004 01:37 PM

Hi all. Kind of new to the HT world so please bear with me.

My question is regarding my TV reception. And I'm wondering if my setup may be wrong.

I have a Panasonic 53" widescreen HD TV, a Yamaha 5760 receiver, and a Motorola HD cable box.

Connection #1: I have the coaxial cable from the wall connected into the cable box then directly to the tv's coaxial cable input. (labeled AUX on the back of the TV)

Connection #2: I also have the cable box connected directly to the tv via component #1 (rgb) with a digital coaxial audio connection fron the cable box to the receiver.

My question: Why is the cable picture better using the coaxial connection than when I switch to component 1 using the RGB?

Clear as mud?

Thanks

Mediccc24

DavoM 10-25-2004 06:27 PM

CapeFish, can you confirm with your own eyes the Fox HD broacast via WFTX? It says the World Series Game will be in HD on Tuesday night as well.

WINK needs to get their act together and quit blamming the FCC. I have been on them for the past 2 & a half years and gotten the same song and dance. Finally, they quit replying to my emails.

An HDTivo is in the near future.

Peace,

DM

rjg41 10-26-2004 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DavoM
WINK needs to get their act together and quit blamming the FCC. I have been on them for the past 2 & a half years and gotten the same song and dance. Finally, they quit replying to my emails.

DM, I share your frustration but in fairness, you might be able to blame WINK for the decision not to use UHF for HD as they would have been on the air some time ago, but that was likely a financial one. They will have to go VHF at the switch over to all HD in a few years so why go to the expense of UHF when they had a VHF frequency available. Since then the other TV stations were fighting there application for a VHF frequency. Maybe for legit reasons and maybe to keep them off the air.

As I understand it WINK has now modified its' application to satisfy the concerns and is now awaiting FCC final approval of their construction permit. The FCC will likely takes its' time.

extvenginner 10-26-2004 08:51 AM

Did anyone else lose the 4-1 channel map and gain 35-2 for FOX4 yesterday.? Also I have no audio. Hope this is cleared in time for the 3rd Game Of the World Series.

Update on 10/26/04 Channel mapping is now 36-1 for HDTV and working audio.

DavoM 10-26-2004 02:59 PM

rjg41,

My understanding was that a station in an adjacent market already had DT channel 9 (VHF) and that station took WINK to FCC court to block them from getting it. I may be wrong, but I think this is what I discovered in my research. I realize they didn't asked to be blocked by another station, but they already had FCC approval for a UHF DT channel.

My question is if they have to build a new tower anyway to go digital, what in the world does it matter whether they have a UHF or VHF DT Channel. Why would one cost more than the other?

Peace,

DM

Panth1 10-26-2004 06:57 PM

WPLG in Miami broadcasts their digital signal on channel 9 as well as WFTV in Orlando which is analog channel 9.

I can pickup WINK on channel 11 some nights so you can see how far a VHF signal can travel with the weather we get in Florida and how that can cause interference problems.

As for their decision to move from channel 53 was it? A UHF channel requires more power to run and cover the same area so all they would get is a big electric bill. Also I guess they want to stay at channel 11 after analog is shut off so they won't have to buy a new transmitter.

It sucks but at least the station is open about the situation and not hiding from their viewers like some other stations in the country.

DavoM 10-31-2004 06:41 PM

From today's News Press:

Quote:

WINK-TV boasts the strongest Monday night lineup on television.

"Still Standing," "Listen Up," "Everybody Loves Raymond," "Two and a Half Men" and "CSI: Miami" attract millions upon millions of viewers.

Yet something's missing.

Crystal clarity.

WINK's picture is dull compared to its competition.

The reason: My wife Gayle and I have high-definition television and WINK doesn't.

Don't the rest of you viewers in HDTV Land think it's time WINK got with the program?

I was ready to lambast WINK (CBS) for not keeping pace with NBC2 and ABC7 until Keith Stuhlmann, WINK's director of engineering, hit me with startling news Friday.

"Providing everything works out, part of the population will receive our first HDTV signal over Comcast and Time Warner by the end of the year," he says. "Over the air broadcasting will take about a year."

The ordeal for Fort Myers Broadcasting Company started in 1998 when the Federal Communications Commission assigned it Ch. 53 for digital transmission. The station asked the FCC for Ch. 9 in 2000.

The FCC tried to make it work, but ABC stations in Orlando (Ch. 9) and Miami (Ch. 10; digital Ch. 9) complained another Ch. 9 so close to their markets would pose a potential for interference.

Stuhlmann says the FCC ruled for WINK against the out-of-market stations, but Caloosa Television, operating low-power WEVU-TV on Ch. 9 in Naples, filed to get a Class A license, which thwarted WINK.

The FCC ruled against Caloosa Television on Oct. 6, clearing the way for WINK.

"It was frustrating for us the FCC took so long, but any minute we will get an FCC construction permit to build our transmission facility," Stuhlmann says.

Consumer Electronics Association's Vision magazine says half of U.S. consumers intend to buy an HDTV for their next television.

That's what happened to us.

We watched a 31-inch TV for 15 years. Last November, we bought a 57-inch Toshiba HD.

At first, it seemed too large for our living room, but the large screen grew on us.

Once you watch HDTV, you don't want anything else.

Tuning in HDTV is like waking up in television heaven.

"It's so lifelike it's like you're in the living room of the sitcoms," Gayle says. "The travel shows have such depth it feels like you're climbing the mountain with them."

Greg Stetson, WINK program director, estimates Southwest Florida ranks slightly ahead of the 15 percent national average of homes with HDTV.

"I get about 10 to 12 requests a month for HDTV," he says. "As prices come down, more people will buy them."

Sean Stevens, a Circuit City salesman, says a 27-inch, HD Magnavox sells for $500.

"We sell more HDTVs than analog," he says. "Almost every TV over 42 inches is HD."

I'm keeping an eye on WINK. Mondays couldn't get much better except with HD.

Sam Cook's column appears Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 335-0384 or fax 334-0708. E-mail: scook@news-press.com

How hilariously ironic is it that cable customers will be the first to get WINK in HD. I think their program manager is doing that just to tick me off.

Peace,

DM

DavoM 11-06-2004 06:33 AM

Anybody know about the recent developments w/ UPN in our area? Here's some interesting info.

I now have D* and am really bummed about the UPN local that they provide. It is UPN 44 out of Tampa and IT IS CROPPED! It looks like they are taking the HD broadcast of Enterprise and simply cropping off the sides. There is a red band down the middle of the picture and some weird ghosting. The picture is unwatchable.

I called D* and they said to talk to my local affiliate. If the above link is true, who in world do I call?

Peace,

DM

CapeFish 11-08-2004 03:46 PM

Fort Myers has no UPN affiliate per say. We have UPN 8 which is cable only, but Comcast, which runs the station, has not announced HD intentions.

http://www.upn-8.com/

DavoM 11-12-2004 05:41 AM

CapeFish,

It looks to me as if we have two UPN affiliates: WEVU (OTA & DirectTV) and WNFM (cable only). Too bad the one w/ their act together is only on cable.

In regards to the other issue, UPN44 in Tampa told me that WEVU is having technical issues, and that it is a temporary situation. Here's the text of UPN44's email response:

First response:

"If you see our logo on network feeds it is because the local station to the best of my knowledge has been picking up our signal for network feeds because their satellite receive dish is being replaced. Please let me know if this appears to be the situation."

Second response:

"To the best of my knowledge this is a temporary situation. I am sorry but there is nothing that we can do because the signal we send out in our area is OK. Good luck to you in your pursuit of a better UPN Signal."

I'd love to have the email address of someone at WEVU, but they can't even maintain a website.

Peace,

DM

DavoM 11-13-2004 03:41 PM

Anybody have challenges locking on to WFTX? There have been a few times where I get nothing, but every other station is 90+.

When I am receiving Fox, it is 90+, but then there are other times the screen is blank and it says "searching for signal."

Peace,

DM

extvenginner 11-18-2004 04:22 AM

Hi All-
I haven't seen it mentioned on this forum, but the FCC site is showing the construction permit for WINK-DT on channel 9 at 20Kw was granted on 10/29/04. I doubt it will make it to Marco when it is operational at that power, the analog signal on 11 is very weak here at 316Kw. I have fair luck getting CBS in HD from WFOR-DT Miami after dark.

DavoM 11-18-2004 05:24 AM

The permit has been granted. Cable customers are supposed to received WINK in HD by the end of the year, the rest of us will wait for another year.

Peace,

DM

DavoM 11-18-2004 08:50 AM

Here's an email reply from WINK's Director of Engineering:

Quote:

Hi David,

My name is Keith Stuhlmann, Director Of Engineering for WINK-TV. After a long and drawn out proceeding with the FCC, they finally granted our Construction Permit to build the over the air DTV transmission facility on October 29th. We could not start it without the Construction Permit.

Earlier this year, when we had no idea when the FCC would grant us a Construction Permit, we reached an agreement with the cable companies to carry our DTV/HD signal via fiber optic (we currently feed most of the cable systems via fiber with our analog signal). At least this way we would be able to reach some of our viewers with a DTV/HD signal. We hope to have all the DTV studio equipment up and running with a feed to the cable companies sometime around the first of the year.

The reason it will take longer to get the over the air transmission facility build is the time it takes from the manufacture's to order and install the transmitter, antenna and transmission line. We estimate it will take us about 12 months to get it all up and running. Believe me, we are all just as frustrated as everyone else on how long it took for us to finally be able to send out a DTV/HD signal.

Thanks
Keith Stuhlmann
Director Of Engineering
WINK-TV / AM / FM

Peace,

DM

CapeFish 11-30-2004 05:34 PM

A note: Marlins Baseball games may all be on FSN in 2005 which would mean that FSN Florida would air all home games in HD. That could be anywhere from 75-81 games in HD from FSN Florida.

FSN Florida HD is on the air on VOOM and should be on the air via Comcast soon.

DavoM 12-01-2004 12:55 PM

Sadly, I don't foresee FSN HD appearing on D* anytime soon.

I have spoken w/ WNFM and WEVU to try to get some answers. Everything I've posted about the UPN deal is correct.

Just got off the phone w/ Fred Falin who is VP of TV Programming & Operations for Holston Valley Broadcasting Corporation in TN. They manage WEVU. He said the PQ issue would be cleared up in the next few weeks, but the cropping of the picture would not. He said that if they letterboxed the Enterprise broadcast, it also would window box the 4:3 programming. Does that sound right? Not sure I buy that.

He said they are broadcasting from the top of the downtown Ramada. When they found out about the split, they asked Ramada if they could put a dish up there and they wouldn't let them. That's why the broadcast is simply a retransmission of the Tampa feed. Once they get there own dish in place down here the broadcast will be properly formatted.

HD is well over a year away. Since they are low power, it might be longer than that.

Peace,

DM

DavoM 12-02-2004 08:07 AM

Anybody in our area ever been able to pick up WTVX's digital channel from Fort Peirce? The frequency assignment is 50 and I'm thinking it would remap to 34-1. It is a UPN station and I'd love to see Enterprise in HD.

Peace,

DM

DavoM 12-03-2004 04:30 AM

Capefish,

You got any engineering contacts at WFTX, Fox4? I'd love a phone number or email besides the general stuff. A fiend of mine gets HD via Comcast and they've been no help answering his question of when WFTX would be provided on cable in HD.

Thanks,

DM