Evansville, IN - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 750 Old 03-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

TW here in Owensboro shows channel 707 as "To Be Announced" on HD. Not 100% sure, but I think this is the channel they have reserved for WTVW.

Ha! That made my day man, thanks. I'm sure it's for Fox since the other local HD channels correspond to the regular cable channels (2, 9, 10, and 11 so far). You'll love the HD box and DVR. The DVR will change your viewing habits forever, I don't know what I'd do without it. If you have any questions about it, let me know.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but my father-in-law is crazy for it and has been bugging me for weeks to watch a race in HD. I personally can't wait to see Jack Bauer interrogate in glorious HD with 5.1 surround screaming.

Woohooo!

Currently shopping for the perfect HDTV....found it, the Westinghouse LVM-37w3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 750 Old 03-08-2007, 04:52 PM

ptmurphy, I'm not far from your area, and was using a Rat Shack antenna in the attic with a Channel Master 7777, and had a difficult time receiving 25. I recently switched to a db8 antenna from Antennas Direct, still in the attic and still using the CM7777. Now, I am consistently receiving an 85% or higher signal.

Concerning WTVW, it's good to have Fox in HD finally!
post #453 of 750 Old 03-09-2007, 03:48 AM

Did anyone notice last night that -- at least during Idol -- that the FOX logo was translucent and not blue?
post #454 of 750 Old 03-09-2007, 03:52 AM

Bassmasa, the wife has already made the DVR her own ... she's got programs set up all over the place for the thing to record! I love it so far myself, it's very easy to use, and that's a BIG plus in my book.

Once TW gets 7 on 707, I guess I might FINALLY take down my Terk antenna ... or at least set it down behind the TV in case I might need it later ... guess we'll see!
post #455 of 750 Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKing View Post

ptmurphy, I'm not far from your area, and was using a Rat Shack antenna in the attic with a Channel Master 7777, and had a difficult time receiving 25. I recently switched to a db8 antenna from Antennas Direct, still in the attic and still using the CM7777. Now, I am consistently receiving an 85% or higher signal.

Concerning WTVW, it's good to have Fox in HD finally!

I am currently using a Channel Master 4228, which is also an 8-bowtie antenna. Do you think the db8 would make a difference?

Thanks,

PTM
post #456 of 750 Old 03-09-2007, 07:34 AM

trido what DISH box are you using to receive WTVW OTA? I have done some research on the issue I am having with the DISh 622 Box after they put the full power transmitter online. and this seems to be a common issue with The 622 and 211 and multiple FOX OTA stations including Memphis, Austin and some others. I don't know if the problem stations are all using the same equipment or if it is a coicidence. I have found if I cut the signal strength on the 622 down to between 65 and 72 WTVW settles down and is watchable. I was wondering if the engineer at WTVW was aware of this issue.
post #457 of 750 Old 03-09-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bghdtvfan View Post

trido what DISH box are you using to receive WTVW OTA? I have done some research on the issue I am having with the DISh 622 Box after they put the full power transmitter online. and this seems to be a common issue with The 622 and 211 and multiple FOX OTA stations including Memphis, Austin and some others. I don't know if the problem stations are all using the same equipment or if it is a coicidence. I have found if I cut the signal strength on the 622 down to between 65 and 72 WTVW settles down and is watchable. I was wondering if the engineer at WTVW was aware of this issue.

I have Dish 211 no issues at all and I say no WTVW dont know of any issues what exact issues are you having? I go back up the thread to see if you have posted it.

Let me know their eng sure answers everthing I have asked him,but again I have had NO problems with DISH box.

Trido
I just emailed FOX 7 and mentioned your problems I again wasnt aware of any issues I been fine since day one they went OTA in fact better than Insight cable.

Trido
post #458 of 750 Old 03-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trido View Post

I have Dish 211 no issues at all and I say no WTVW dont know of any issues what exact issues are you having? I go back up the thread to see if you have posted it.

Let me know their eng sure answers everthing I have asked him,but again I have had NO problems with DISH box.

Trido
I just emailed FOX 7 and mentioned your problems I again wasnt aware of any issues I been fine since day one they went OTA in fact better than Insight cable.

With the DB4 aimed in the direction of the tower I am getting a signal level of 93 on my Dish622. At that signal level i am seeing blocking, audio dropouts, and at times the loss of signal popup. I tested the ideas I got from others that were getting similar results with 622. When I cut the signal strength down to 65 to 72 The feed stabilizes and is very acceptable. The problem is the only way to get the signal at that level is to use a 1-1/2" long piece of copper wire in the ATSC tuner input. Which makes all of my other OTA disappear. I think that they are overpowering the tuner in the 622. I think it is probably more of a design flaw in the 622 than an issue with the Fox7 stream. What antenna are you using and what signal strength are you displaying.
post #459 of 750 Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:

With the DB4 aimed in the direction of the tower I am getting a signal level of 93 on my Dish622. At that signal level i am seeing blocking, audio dropouts, and at times the loss of signal popup. I tested the ideas I got from others that were getting similar results with 622. When I cut the signal strength down to 65 to 72 The feed stabilizes and is very acceptable. The problem is the only way to get the signal at that level is to use a 1-1/2" long piece of copper wire in the ATSC tuner input. Which makes all of my other OTA disappear. I think that they are overpowering the tuner in the 622. I think it is probably more of a design flaw in the 622 than an issue with the Fox7 stream. What antenna are you using and what signal strength are you displaying.

I am near Bosse high and ONLY have a small outside TERK ant up 10 ft and ihave 100 percent on 211 box all the time,Before the went full power it was at 66 but now 100 and NO issues.

It must be the 622 box

Trido
post #460 of 750 Old 03-09-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmurphy View Post

I am currently using a Channel Master 4228, which is also an 8-bowtie antenna. Do you think the db8 would make a difference?

Thanks,

PTM

Sorry, didn't see the note earlier about BU-MSM. Yep, that's me.

I've read some people swear by the db8, but others say it's the same as the CM4228. I'd hate to spend $100 on it and find out it's no better than what you already have. But it's certainly working for me. It's in the attic, but in a 2 story home, so it's up pretty high.

Are you on Dish or DirecTV? DirecTV should have Evansville HD maybe by the end of the year. If you don't mind waiting or that pesky signal compression they do.
post #461 of 750 Old 03-10-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKing View Post

Sorry, didn't see the note earlier about BU-MSM. Yep, that's me.

I've read some people swear by the db8, but others say it's the same as the CM4228. I'd hate to spend $100 on it and find out it's no better than what you already have. But it's certainly working for me. It's in the attic, but in a 2 story home, so it's up pretty high.

Are you on Dish or DirecTV? DirecTV should have Evansville HD maybe by the end of the year. If you don't mind waiting or that pesky signal compression they do.

I have Dish now, but have become VERY dissatisfied with the picture quality over the past couple of years. They are compressing the heck out of the locals. I am just going to hang in there for now and see what shakes out in the next year.

PTM
post #462 of 750 Old 03-11-2007, 10:13 AM

I am also having a problem with the WTVW FOX OTA signal using a Dish VIP-622. I do not have this problem with any of the other OTA locals. The VIP-622 signal for FOX is 93 on the signal meter. Yet, every 10-15 seconds I get blocking, stuttering, and complete signal loss. This problem make the FOX OTA signal unwatchable. Seems to be a common problem with FOX OTA according to the VIP-622 forum on dbstalk.com It appears some of the local stations are working on the problem. Does anybody have any ideas how to solve the problem for the Evansville WTVW FOX OTA signal? Please help...
post #463 of 750 Old 03-11-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomason View Post

I am also having a problem with the WTVW FOX OTA signal using a Dish VIP-622. I do not have this problem with any of the other OTA locals. The VIP-622 signal for FOX is 93 on the signal meter. Yet, every 10-15 seconds I get blocking, stuttering, and complete signal loss. This problem make the FOX OTA signal unwatchable. Seems to be a common problem with FOX OTA according to the VIP-622 forum on dbstalk.com It appears some of the local stations are working on the problem. Does anybody have any ideas how to solve the problem for the Evansville WTVW FOX OTA signal? Please help...

Well this isnt good i have been told bt FOX 7 itis a DISH issue,you might start the calls to both dish and Fox 7. post the link to forum that says 622 has fox issues.

Trido
post #464 of 750 Old 03-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomason View Post

try this and let us know

I just talked to the Chief Engineer at KTBC fox 7 in Austin and he is aware of the issue with the dish Vip 622. He said to try a 3db attenuator in-line before the antenna input of your receiver. Fox is broadcast on a very high frequency (channel 58 in HD, the receiver re names it 7.1) That high frequency causes some cheep receivers (vip 622) to not stay locked.That explains why my old Sony Directv receiver worked so well, it is a better quality receiver. When you add the attenuator you should run setup again and find the locals. I will try this this afternoon and let you know it it works.

Trido
post #465 of 750 Old 03-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Here is the link to the thread at dbstalk.com that discusses the issue. Trido's 2:13 pm post is actually a quote from this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=fox+ota
post #466 of 750 Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 AM

Although I have not yet tried the attenuator mentioned above, I have some doubts that it is applicable to the WTVW issue because I believe their broadcast is DT 28 which is not exactly on the high end of the frequency band.
post #467 of 750 Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 AM

I have played around with this situation on my 622 and the only way to get the 622 to settle down is to pad the signal down with a signal reading of 65 to 72 and the only way to get WTVW down to that level is to disconnect the antenna input on the 622 and put in about a 1-1/2" piece of copper wire as an antenna. Then you can't pickup any of the other channels. I have thought about doing this with an A/B switch for the antenna or have thought about using a Jointenna for channel 28. But I am really hoping Dish will fix this in their next software update. The fact that trido is not having this problem with the 211. and from what I have heard this problem was common to the 622 and 211 but dish might have it fixed in the 211 with a recent update.
post #468 of 750 Old 03-12-2007, 07:43 AM

I can almost guarantee that 3db of attenuation will not fix it.
post #469 of 750 Old 03-13-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:

I have played around with this situation on my 622 and the only way to get the 622 to settle down is to pad the signal down with a signal reading of 65 to 72 and the only way to get WTVW down to that level is to disconnect the antenna input on the 622 and put in about a 1-1/2" piece of copper wire as an antenna. Then you can't pickup any of the other channels. I have thought about doing this with an A/B switch for the antenna or have thought about using a Jointenna for channel 28. But I am really hoping Dish will fix this in their next software update. The fact that trido is not having this problem with the 211. and from what I have heard this problem was common to the 622 and 211 but dish might have it fixed in the 211 with a recent update.

noissues with 211 thats using outside ant sig 100 an d also indoor ant sig 67-72 all stay locked are fine.

It just has to be DISK 622 issues.

Trido
post #470 of 750 Old 03-13-2007, 05:53 PM

New 622 software is supposed to be downloaded starting Thursday hopefully there will be a fix for this issue included.
post #471 of 750 Old 03-13-2007, 09:15 PM

I'm a new HDTV owner that lives in Newburgh. I picked up a Samsung 50" DLP at Sam's Club a week ago and I just wanted to let everyone know what I'm experiencing so far.

The Samsung TV has some type of built-in amplifier, but I have no idea how strong it is.

I'm using a cheap $25 Phillips indoor UHF/VHF amplified antenna that I picked up at Wal-Mart.

Here are the digital stations I'm getting so far on signal strength using this little antenna.

7 WTVW Fox - 80-90%
14 WFIE NBC - 80-90%
44 WEVV CBS - 60-80%
31 KET PBS - 30%
25 WEHT ABC - 0%
9 WNIN PBS - 0%

No matter how I move the antenna or where I set it, I can't get ABC 25 or WNIN 9 digitally. It shows their transmitters being about 11 miles from my house.

I live in a subdivision and putting up an antenna will really piss the neighbors off. I think legally I can put one up according the Federal Communications Act, but I know we have rules that do not allow for any visible satellite dishes. I'm pretty much stuck with an indoor antenna as being my only option. Does anyone think a signal booster from radio shack will help? Or can anyone suggest a better indoor antenna?
post #472 of 750 Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Remember that WNIN-DT is actually on Channel 12 in the VHF band. If your indoor antenna has "rabbit ears" try setting them about 12 to 18 inches long and rotate them around. Also, at you location I doubt you need the amplifier. Unfortunately, just unplugging the power will probably leave the circuitry in the signal path, attenuating the signal a lot. Even if it has a power switch, it may be the same. You might want to try an un-amplified antenna. Also, WEHT and KET have much less power than the other stations, but I would think you should be able to receive them at your location.
post #473 of 750 Old 03-14-2007, 11:12 AM

I have a DB4 from Solid Signal in my attic with near 100 percent signal on all I have this antenna in my attic and it is more than enough antenna maybe could try a DB2. It is a UHF only antenna but it does pretty good at picking up WNIN on channel 12.
post #474 of 750 Old 03-14-2007, 12:54 PM

I would add that I am using an old Radio Shack un-amplified indoor antenna in a first floor apartment. The antenna, unfortunately no longer available, is basically the same design (a double bow-tie and screen) as the DB2 bghdtvfan is referring to. I am able to get a pretty reliable signal here in Morganfield on WEHT, and I'm about twice as far from the station as you. The tuner is built into a new Sharp HD set, and admittedly seems to be somewhat more sensitive than some others I've tried.
post #475 of 750 Old 03-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
how about this Radio Shack antenna:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
post #476 of 750 Old 03-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post

how about this Radio Shack antenna:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

That looks like a really good antenna but unfortunately, its in-store only. I think it was discontinued or something. None of the radio shacks around me have it in stock.

I'll unplug the antenna tomorrow and try it unamplified and see what I get.
post #477 of 750 Old 03-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Time Warner in Owensboro is officially online! Channel 707 debuted last night and the Moto 6412 DVRs are filling in the on screen menu properly as of this morning.

I only got to watch about 2 minutes of HD programming last night, but it seemed on par with WFIE. Consider that Channel 7 is by far the worst of the local channels in SD in terms of PQ, this is a significant step up!

Currently shopping for the perfect HDTV....found it, the Westinghouse LVM-37w3.
post #478 of 750 Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Yep, that's the antenna I'm using. Had it for years. I looked for another one at most of the local Rat Shacks a few months ago and couldn't find one, either. Too bad, as I understand it's one of the best indoor antennas made. I tried it in comparison to a Silver Sensor, and the R/S got a stronger signal, though not as directional as the SS.
post #479 of 750 Old 03-16-2007, 05:33 PM

I unplugged the power on that antenna and what a difference it made. I also moved the antenna around a little bit. I'm now getting KET about 40% solid and I'm also getting ABC WEHT around 40-50% strength. I still can't get anything to show up for WNIN PBS and I've rotated the rabit ears around 360 degrees. I'm not going to worry about it though and I'm not going to move my antenna again because I'm afraid that it might screw up the signal for my other stations that aren't coming in very strong.
post #480 of 750 Old 03-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Bill,

I'm surprised you're not getting WNIN at all ... I always had little trouble picking it up here in Owensboro, and you're closer to all three towers you mentioned (KET, WEHT and WNIN) than I am. Maybe that is part of the problem??? Of course, I dumped my amplified antenna for the Terk HDTVi, and after that had no more trouble at all.

Do you subscribe to Time Warner? They're now offering all the locals, and I've ditched the antenna altogether in favor of that, although I do plan to keep it for emergency use (i.e., the cable goes out).
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page