Evansville, IN - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 750 Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From Haubstadt (northern Vandy County, right?) you do not need a deep-fringe antenna for the Evansville stations, in fact you may be overloading the input of your receiver, which would account for the poor reception. Try something small and simple, and NO amplifier. For something you can probably get locally and reasonably inexpensive, you might try the Radio Shack U75R, which is their only outdoor UHF-only model. This should be good for everything except (possibly) WNIN-DT which is on VHF channel 12. In any case, if it doesn't work R/S is pretty good about taking stuff back. I have a friend with one of these in his attic in Morganfield, KY and gets solid reception on the UHF channels except WEHT-Dt with low power on channel 59 which is spotty.

The radio station might be giving you a problem. The large antenna with it's FM reception capability is not helping. It may be overloading your receiver, too. Again, the answer may be to use a smaller, UHF-only antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 750 Old 10-20-2007, 08:58 AM

More info: WTVW tower is in Chandler. WEHT, WFIE and WEVV are all near each other just south of the twin bridges at Henderson. WNIN is just south of Boonville, I think.
post #543 of 750 Old 10-20-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP in KY View Post

From Haubstadt (northern Vandy County, right?) you do not need a deep-fringe antenna for the Evansville stations, in fact you may be overloading the input of your receiver, which would account for the poor reception. Try something small and simple, and NO amplifier. For something you can probably get locally and reasonably inexpensive, you might try the Radio Shack U75R, which is their only outdoor UHF-only model. This should be good for everything except (possibly) WNIN-DT which is on VHF channel 12. In any case, if it doesn't work R/S is pretty good about taking stuff back. I have a friend with one of these in his attic in Morganfield, KY and gets solid reception on the UHF channels except WEHT-Dt with low power on channel 59 which is spotty.

The radio station might be giving you a problem. The large antenna with it's FM reception capability is not helping. It may be overloading your receiver, too. Again, the answer may be to use a smaller, UHF-only antenna.

Yes, Haubstadt is on the northern Vandy-Gibson line. I live a few miles off of SR57. Well, I got the deep fringe antenna so I could pick up the channels out of Terre Haute if I wanted to as well. I would really like to keep the VHF channels as well, since Fox is on channel 7. Now that I think about it, the antenna runs into a home distribution pannel which I believe has an amp on the splitter. I will try and turn that off and see if it helps any.
post #544 of 750 Old 10-20-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:

More info: WTVW tower is in Chandler. WEHT, WFIE and WEVV are all near each other just south of the twin bridges at Henderson. WNIN is just south of Boonville, I think.

We get both WTVW and WNIN in very well, which would both be to our south-east if your info is correct. That would put them our of the line of sight of both of the towers near us. Interesting.
post #545 of 750 Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 AM

Yes, FOX7 analog is channel 7, but their digital channel is 28, in the UHF band.
post #546 of 750 Old 10-21-2007, 09:12 AM

Also, many times just turning an amplifier "OFF" doesn't get it out of the circuit. If it's where you can easily get to it, you might try actually removing it and replacing it with a "barrel splice" or short piece of cable.
post #547 of 750 Old 10-22-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Yes, FOX7 analog is channel 7, but their digital channel is 28, in the UHF band.

Really? I can get a digital signal from Fox on 7-1. Is 28 different programming?

I will try the barrel splice tonight. That is the nice thing about having everything running to one panel. It is all right where I can get to it.

Thanks for all the info. I hopefully will find out what is going on.
post #548 of 750 Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM

No, the programming is the same, just the digital version is on Ch 28. By the way, the digital versions of the stations are ALL on different actual channels from the analog versions. The stations transmit a special code which tells your receiver which virtual channel number to display. The FCC set this up at the insistence of the stations so they would not have to change their long-established advertising, logos etc.

So WTVW digital is actually Ch 28 in the UHF band. Similarly, WFIE (14) digital is on Ch 46, WEVV (44) digital is on Ch 45, WEHT (25) is on Ch 59, and WNIN (9) is on Ch 12. As far as I know, at the end of the transition period next year, WTVW, WFIE and WEVV will keep their existing digital channel assignments. (Thus channels 7, 14 and 44 will become vacant.) WEHT and WNIN plan to move their digital signals to their existing analog assignments, 25 and 9, respectively.
post #549 of 750 Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 AM

Does anyone have issues with CBS's HD signal on Sigecom/WOW? Whenever I'm watching it, the audio and video will distort every few seconds. It's quite annoying. WOW claims its probably a problem at WEVV.
post #550 of 750 Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 PM

For the last couple of days, I've been having a problem picking up WTVW with an antenna. Up until yesterday I was getting a signal of about 80-90%, now it will only get about 20%. I tried adjusting and just using an indoor silver sensor pointed towards the tower, but can't get a better signal. Anyone else having issues with WTVW. I'm in Evansville.
post #551 of 750 Old 11-13-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWPeters24 View Post

For the last couple of days, I've been having a problem picking up WTVW with an antenna. Up until yesterday I was getting a signal of about 80-90%, now it will only get about 20%. I tried adjusting and just using an indoor silver sensor pointed towards the tower, but can't get a better signal. Anyone else having issues with WTVW. I'm in Evansville.

I am having trouble with WTVW weak antenna signal in Owensboro too. I've had strong signal in the past.
post #552 of 750 Old 11-15-2007, 04:00 PM

I've noticed a problem with WEVV sound ever since they got their digital signal working. It seems every time they switch from the network signal to a local signal (or vice versa) the sound will break up for a second or so. I figured it was some incompatibility with my set (a Sony) since the other stations don't do it.
post #553 of 750 Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM

Today we got NFL HD
on Dec 4th we get these

TBS,
Animal Planet,
Discovery,
TLC, and
National Geographic.

Trido
post #554 of 750 Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 PM

I have sent e-mails to insight asking about new HD channels and they don't even respond to my e-mails....Thinking if something don't happen soon I'll be going back to Directv......They are to have 100 HD channels by the end of the year.
post #555 of 750 Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilli2 View Post

I have sent e-mails to insight asking about new HD channels and they don't even respond to my e-mails....Thinking if something don't happen soon I'll be going back to Directv......They are to have 100 HD channels by the end of the year.

the above list i posted is for Dec 4th it is on Insight web sight just put in a EVV zip code for ch and you wull see what they are adding HD on demand etc

Trido
post #556 of 750 Old 11-20-2007, 03:28 PM

anyone know what is the current model motorola dvr from insight?

i am going back to insight friday and wonder if they use a newer model than a year ago?

thanks

Trido
post #557 of 750 Old 11-28-2007, 03:50 PM

Ok i live in Evansville too and i cannot pick up good hd local channels at all! I dont have cable so i went out and got a new hd antenna. But the ****** thing didnt help at all. I can only pick up 14.1 and 44.2? And i cannot even pick up a tiny signal from fox 7 (7.1). Can someone please help?
post #558 of 750 Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtieken2 View Post

Ok i live in Evansville too and i cannot pick up good hd local channels at all! I dont have cable so i went out and got a new hd antenna. But the ****** thing didnt help at all. I can only pick up 14.1 and 44.2? And i cannot even pick up a tiny signal from fox 7 (7.1). Can someone please help?

Try entering these channel numbers-
28-1 for fox 7
45-1 for 44
59-1 for 25
post #559 of 750 Old 01-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Is anybody having problems with over the air reception from channel 7 HD?
post #560 of 750 Old 01-03-2008, 07:15 AM

I live 2 miles from WTVW tower and the Digital signal has been weaker the last couple weeks.
post #561 of 750 Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken42303 View Post

Is anybody having problems with over the air reception from channel 7 HD?

No problems here in Owensboro - at least not when I am watching.
post #562 of 750 Old 01-07-2008, 05:10 AM

I was having trouble picking up WEHT 25 OTA. I got a pre amp from ebay that I was really skeptical about, but hey it works. I can now get 25. Ok, the signal strength is not as great as the other Evansville channels, (about 40) but at least it's there. I like this pre-amp as I didn't have to put it on the antenna pole. I hooked it up where the cable came into the house. I live in Philpot, so I am about 7 miles further from the tower than Owensboro. Folks in Owensboro should get a stronger signal. I'm not sure if I can post a link here, so if anyone is interested in checking out this pre-amp, let me know.

Jazz
post #563 of 750 Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfan216 View Post

I was having trouble picking up WEHT 25 OTA. I got a pre amp from ebay that I was really skeptical about, but hey it works. I can now get 25. Ok, the signal strength is not as great as the other Evansville channels, (about 40) but at least it's there. I like this pre-amp as I didn't have to put it on the antenna pole. I hooked it up where the cable came into the house. I live in Philpot, so I am about 7 miles further from the tower than Owensboro. Folks in Owensboro should get a stronger signal. I'm not sure if I can post a link here, so if anyone is interested in checking out this pre-amp, let me know.

Jazz

I would be interested in what you got. I leave just inside of you on 54 towards Owensboro and have trouble getting 25. My new TV gets it in fine, old TV not all all, Dish VIP722 most of the time. I would like to get it more stable.

Right now I have an 8 bow tie antenna in the attic with a Channel Master amp.
post #564 of 750 Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 AM

I just PM'd you the info.

Anyone know if it ok to post links for products in this forum?
post #565 of 750 Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfan216 View Post

I just PM'd you the info.

Anyone know if it ok to post links for products in this forum?

Jazzfan - thanks, I did get the PM with the link. I don't know if you can put those in the public areas or not, so better safe than sorry I guess.

My antennae is in the attic, so that may explain that it is a bit more difficult to keep the signal. I wish 25 could bump up the power a bit. I don't have any problems with the other stations.

Thanks,

PTM
post #566 of 750 Old 01-12-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinc View Post

I live 2 miles from WTVW tower and the Digital signal has been weaker the last couple weeks.

I'm having a problem with it too. It seems for the last 2 weeks or so, maybe less. I'm using an HDHomerun to pull Qam from Sigecom/WOW. Is anyone out there pulling QAM from them either with a TV or another device like the HDHomerun?
post #567 of 750 Old 01-12-2008, 08:55 PM

I live on highway 54 east of Owensboro just outside the city. I have had a drop in signal on WTVW also. Before the drop my DirecTV HR20 read 100% on WTVW. Now the readings are ~70%. Once a few nights ago the level was lower with dropouts.
post #568 of 750 Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:

No, the programming is the same, just the digital version is on Ch 28. By the way, the digital versions of the stations are ALL on different actual channels from the analog versions. The stations transmit a special code which tells your receiver which virtual channel number to display. The FCC set this up at the insistence of the stations so they would not have to change their long-established advertising, logos etc.

So WTVW digital is actually Ch 28 in the UHF band. Similarly, WFIE (14) digital is on Ch 46, WEVV (44) digital is on Ch 45, WEHT (25) is on Ch 59, and WNIN (9) is on Ch 12. As far as I know, at the end of the transition period next year, WTVW, WFIE and WEVV will keep their existing digital channel assignments. (Thus channels 7, 14 and 44 will become vacant.) WEHT and WNIN plan to move their digital signals to their existing analog assignments, 25 and 9, respectively.

Just an update on this... I routed the OTA co-ax directly to my tv (to bypass the distribution amp and sliptter) and saw no change. I tried a Phillips PH61112 signal pre-amp, with worse results.

Am I getting too strong of a signal? I am starting to wonder if getting the bigger antenna was bad choice. Does anyone have the right equipment to actually measure the signal coming in?

-HELP!-
post #569 of 750 Old 01-19-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycpujunkie View Post

I'm having a problem with it too. It seems for the last 2 weeks or so, maybe less. I'm using an HDHomerun to pull Qam from Sigecom/WOW. Is anyone out there pulling QAM from them either with a TV or another device like the HDHomerun?

Yes, I have the OnAirGT HD tuner with WOW cable running to it.
post #570 of 750 Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 PM

OK.. I'm very new to this stuff, so please try to hang in there with my ignorance...

I have DishHD w/DVR as well as a Mitsu 57" DLP with QAM. I have having the hardest time getting 25 and 7 especially lately. They drop out constantly no matter if I go through the Dhish hardware or direct to the TV. I use a square shooter with the built in pre-amp or whatever the call it. (You have to plug in an adapter to the wall socket.) up in the attic with just enough coax so it isnt rolled up or kinked. 44, 14 both come in at 100% with no fluctuation. It didn't always used to be this way, but over time, it has gotton worse on 7 and 25. I have the shooter aimed south. If I'm not mistaked, 7 is in Booneville and 25 is in Henderson, correct?

Any ideas on how I can get this solved? I am on the south-east side near ocvert/weinback intersection and getting extremely frustrated.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page