Evansville, IN - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 750 Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed last night as well that the stretcho-vision had been fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 750 Old 06-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Guys, I have a quick question: Are any of you having any luck pulling in the closer Illinois stations? I've been able to get WUSI/16 via analog most nights (and digital some nights), and I was able to get WSIL/3 (digital) earlier this week. I'm not counting on getting these permanently, but I was pleasantly surprised to get them when I did, since I'm so far away from them.

I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that I built two antennas (similar in concept to the CM4221, plans found here http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/) to take some of the load off of my Terk antenna. I'm now running at most two TVs off of each antenna, and I now get very good to excellent signals on all of the channels I get.
post #633 of 750 Old 06-03-2008, 03:14 PM

I am a lot farther west than you, but when I had a second-floor apartment a couple years ago I got WSIL (Harrisburg) and WPSD (Paducah) regularly. I was using a CM 4221 indoors on the east side of the building. The signal had to pass through several walls to get to the antenna. This was into the built-in tuner in my Sony rear-projector.
post #634 of 750 Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 AM

Morganfield is just about within WSIL's viewing area, isn't it? I haven't tried very hard to pull in Paducah's stations; I'm debating whether or not to buy a preamp. I certainly don't need it for the Evansville-area stations, but as close as I come to pulling in WNKY and WBKO out of Bowling Green and WSIL, I might give it a shot for those.

I did make a couple of modifications to both the antennas I've built, based on a cursory search of homemade antennas. I took the foil-covered plastic reflector panels off, and my signal improved on all channels. Still don't understand why, but I'll take it.
post #635 of 750 Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 AM

Yeah, years ago before cable was installed in this area, most people routinely received channel 3 (WSIL) and channel 6(WPSD) with outdoor antennas. But that was low band VHF. I was just pretty surprised that I could get WPSD-DT (on rf channel 32) at a distance of about 80 miles, with my antenna indoors, about 12 feet off the ground, and behind two walls. Even though WPSD DOES have an transmitter tower about 2000 feet high!
post #636 of 750 Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Last night (6/10) turned out to be a great night for DXing here in Owensboro!

I watched Jimmy Kimmel on WSIL, picked up KTVI (Fox 2) out of St. Louis briefly, and brought in WTCT (Marion IL), WZTV and WUXP (Nashville).

The weird part about getting the Nashville stations is that I had the antenna aimed as it normally is, on a westerly heading. Very odd. But enjoyable!
post #637 of 750 Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 AM

Another update, guys, on my TV reception since I started building my antennas (I now have three up in the ol' attic, with the Terk in storage up there in case I need it someday).

I noted a little over a week ago that I was able to get WZTV (Fox 17-1 HD, 17-2 SD) and WUXP (MyNetworkTV, 30-1) out of Nashville. It turns out that I am able to get them just about every night, with only a few instances of dropout, from shortly after sundown until about an hour or so before sunrise. I've even been able to pull in Nashville's "Big Three" stations, WKRN (ABC 2-1, weather 2-2), WSMV (NBC 4-1, Telemundo 4-2), and WTVF (CBS 5-1), although none of the big stations have come in as often as the "Little Two."

I've also been pulling in WBKO and WNKY out of Bowling Green most nights, as well. Those being the only stations in southern Kentucky, WBKO added Fox and CW as their -2 and -3 subchannels (ABC is 13-1), and WNKY added CBS as its -2 (NBC being 40-1). But they are not as strong as Western Kentucky University's WKYU (PBS 24-1 through 24-4) and KET's WKGB 53-1 through 53-4. Those even come through during the daytime hours!

If any of you folks here in and around Owensboro want to expand your channel horizons without resorting to cable or satellite, take a little time and visit the website I posted previously. It doesn't take long to build your own antenna, and my results prove that it wasn't wasted time!
post #638 of 750 Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Good news for those with expanded basic cable on Avenue in Vincennes/Washington, IN area. I discovered my HDTV picked up some network HD feeds:

FOX WTVW-DT Evansville ch 7-11 720p 16:9
CBS WTHI-DT Terre Haute ch 10-1 1080i 16:9
NBC-WFIE-DT Evansville 14-11 1080i 16:9
PBS-WVUT-DT Vincennes 22-1 and 22-2 1080i 16:9
ABC-WEHT-DT Evansville 25-1 720p 16:9
WEHT Weather Evansville 25-2 480i
post #639 of 750 Old 07-18-2008, 03:28 PM

Anyone having problems picking up WEHT-HD (25-1, 59-1)?
My TV shows adequate signal strength, but the screen is black, no sound. It has been like that for a few days.
Ken
post #640 of 750 Old 07-19-2008, 08:56 AM

I noticed it was like that the other night, but this morning it seems to be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken42303 View Post

My TV shows adequate signal strength, but the screen is black, no sound. It has been like that for a few days.
Ken

post #641 of 750 Old 07-20-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken42303 View Post

Ken

I've not noticed any problems, Ken ... of course, for whatever reason over here on the southwest side, after dark I can get the Nashville stations I mentioned in an earlier post as strongly -- or more so -- than WEHT.

In other news, I've been pulling in some other stations pretty clearly -- WEIU (PBS, Charleston IL) and WTHI (CBS, Terre Haute), just to name a couple. My out-of-area reception has been really good with this hot weather lately. Since I don't sleep much at night, at least I have stuff to watch!!!
post #642 of 750 Old 07-26-2008, 06:00 PM

For those of you in the Evansville, IN TV viewing area considering obtaining a Channel Master CM-7000 converter box, you will want to read the following post on the CM-7000 thread concerning an issue with receiving WTVW Fox 7:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14373207
post #643 of 750 Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 PM

good news tri-staters! At least if you have DirecTV, annouced that by the end of the year, the Evansville stations will be available in HD for directv subscribers. Also those who have the wabash IPTV across Wayne and Clay counties should get HD soon as well.
post #644 of 750 Old 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmurphy View Post

Yeah, I saw the channel change to 7, which should be interesting. I am hoping that by the time all this happens that DISH Network will carry our locals in HD. WEHT emailed me and said that the coverage area on channel 7 should be as good or a little better than on channel 59. They are also planning on petitioning the FCC for a power increased when that is allowed (there is a "freeze" on power increase requests right now).

that's true on channel 7, most of the time at night, powered indoor antennas pick up 7 all the way here in Flora. most folks with an outdoor antenna pick it up on analog almost all the time.
post #645 of 750 Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 PM

Is anyone having problems with sound cutouts and screen freezes on any of the local HD stations? My parents are in Evansville and I think they have Insight (they live in McCutchanville, if that helps).

When talking to them tonight they indicated they were having a lot of problems lately. I didn't get specifics as to which times and channels, but they indicated that it was mainly, if not exclusively, the locals giving them problems.

I know we had similar problems in Birmingham and the problems usually resided with the station itself and not with the cable company. I don't recall details, but there seemed to be a lot of equipment/engineering issues with the locals, especially in the first year or so after going HD.

Input would be appreciated.
post #646 of 750 Old 08-16-2008, 03:23 AM

Has anyone seen the promos on News25 for the new "RTN TV25"??? The first ones were on yesterday, I saw one for Ironside ... looking forward to the new old shows on 25-2. They have a schedule up at the website, looks like it might be neat.

Also, we've got a new WNIN subchannel ... 9-3 ... it's just color bars for now, but my money's on them putting Create on there (I'm waiting for confirmation). Insight subscribers have had it on channel 13 for a while, but the rest of us have to aim and pray in the direction of Carbondale or Olney, where WSIU broadcasts it on their 8-3 and 16-3 subchannels. Lots of good arts/crafts/cooking/home improvement shows on there ... including some you don't see anymore on PBS.
post #647 of 750 Old 08-19-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello.

Anybody heard of or tried Cinergy Metronet? They recently started offering FIBER OPTIC HDTV/TV/Internet service in my area (Vincennes, IN). Just wondering how good it is. Thanks.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #648 of 750 Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 AM

Chad,

Can't say how good/bad/ugly Cinergy is, but I checked them out online and it looks like they have a good variety of offerings. I didn't have a chance to see if they're price-competitive, but if I were in Vincennes, I'd definitely check into it a little more.
post #649 of 750 Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 PM

What are the most distant channels you guys can pull in with a digital signal?

I just recently purchased an HDTV. I live in Whitesville, KY (about 15 miles Southeast of Owensboro) and right now I am picking up all of the Evansville digital channels except 25 and 19. I'm using a fairly old 40 or so mile range directional antenna with a new 30db booster.

Back before getting satellite in every room of the house, all of the secondary TVs used to be hooked to this same antenna but with an older booster. In those days we could barely pull in the Evansville stations. Now though, I'm pulling in analog stations from Bowling Green, Louisville, and possibly Nashville- all with my antenna pointed towards Evansville.

Now granted the picture is horrible, but with the exception of two they are still coming in enough to actually read things written on the screen. Two of the stations are so poor I can only pick up faint pictures and audio, so I have no idea where they are from, but I think maybe Nashville or more Louisville stations.

Bowling Green is a good 20 or 30 miles farther away from me than Evansville, and I dunno how much farther away Louisville is, but it is a good clip. So long story short, how far can a digital signal really travel? Do any of you pick up any out of market signals? I know I couldn't do it with my current set up, but with a new (and larger) antenna and a rotator I wonder if I could pull in those DTV signals?
post #650 of 750 Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 PM

Boxvic,

I sent you a PM on the subject last night if you haven't caught that yet. If I can help with any add'l info, please let me know.
post #651 of 750 Old 09-09-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody having problems with WFIE NBC audio-wise? It is always in 5.1 surround, but a lot of the time what should be coming out of the center channel (dialogue) comes out of the left side surround speaker. Strange.

I'm getting this channel through Avenue Broadband in Vincennes, IN. My STB is a Motorola DCH-6416.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #652 of 750 Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

Anybody having problems with WFIE NBC audio-wise? It is always in 5.1 surround, but a lot of the time what should be coming out of the center channel (dialogue) comes out of the left side surround speaker. Strange.

I'm getting this channel through Avenue Broadband in Vincennes, IN. My STB is a Motorola DCH-6416.

When I was watching the Colts-Bears game Sunday night, I noticed the dialogue was coming out one of my surround speakers. I use OTA.
post #653 of 750 Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWPeters24 View Post

When I was watching the Colts-Bears game Sunday night, I noticed the dialogue was coming out one of my surround speakers. I use OTA.

Ditto on that. I also noticed it throughout almost the entire Olympics.

post #654 of 750 Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 AM

I guess everyone's figured out by now that WEVV/WTSN is off-air due to the windstorm ... I guess they'll get it back up and running in due course.

On that note: How did everyone on here fare during the storm? We were VERY fortunate, lost only one dead limb out of the old oak tree in our back yard, but everyone around us had shingles off, fences down, limbs and whole trees blown all over the place. I feel like we were being watched over, for sure. We did lose power sometime between 10:15 and noon (we were at church when it went off), but OMU got us back on at around 6 PM.

Thoughts and prayers are with everyone who has damage to contend with.
post #655 of 750 Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

Hello.

Anybody heard of or tried Cinergy Metronet? They recently started offering FIBER OPTIC HDTV/TV/Internet service in my area (Vincennes, IN). Just wondering how good it is. Thanks.

just from what I've seen on their website it looks like the AT&T U-verse deal but actually more like what Verizon has in Ft Wayne called FIOS. Fiber optic to your property, it looks to be one of the newer it things in the cable/satellite internet combo deals. I did not know that the power companies were starting this, but that makes for competition in town I bet. I'd check in on it looks real good.

ok and for those waiting for Directv local channels, per this http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...ssetId=1620002 they should be up by the end of next month.
post #656 of 750 Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM

From Insight CEO Michael Willner

Quote:
Digital 4.0 -- Even better digital TV
We've talked a lot about upgrading our current digital offerings (Digital 3.2) on this blog. As of today, we are sending out notices with our regular monthly bills announcing the launch of Digital 4.0! I thought I'd let you know here first.

Digital 4.0 will feature an important expansion of the HD lineup to more than 50 HD channels - most with no additional cost to those already receiving HD. Additionally 4.0 will include the launch of 2 New Standard Digital Channels -- Fox Business News & Chiller -- more On Demand programs and a slew of other new features. Keep an eye out for the notice. We're sure you'll love what you see.

I can't be specific here about which channels we're launching and when they're coming because the rollout will be district by district. However, it will happen by the end of the year. I know HD enthusiasts will definitely love the many additional choices we're going to deliver. In addition to the bill notice, watch your mail, later in the autumn, for a full description of our next release of Digital -- 4.0!

We have 24 current HD channels so going over 50 will be great

Trido
post #657 of 750 Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 AM

Billboard on Covert just east of Weinbach.

Insight will have UPTO 59 HD channels SOON.

Great News.....

Trido
post #658 of 750 Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 AM

Glad to see more HD content alone with Fox Business News. Have any word on what HD channels will be added?
post #659 of 750 Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok
post #660 of 750 Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 AM

The local HD channels added to DirecTV this week included channel 9 WNIN. They are transmitting the 9-1 channel with the sides chopped off to produce a 480i 4:3 image. The 'WNIN HD' logo in the lower right corner is displayed as 'WN'.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page