Baton Rouge, LA - HDTV - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3001 of 3015 Old 11-03-2015, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
33/44 Over the Air Problem

I contacted Nexstar today and talked with engineering at WGMB/WVLA and they replied that there was weather related damage to equipment at the transmitter. The stations (33, 44, 21) are back on Directv (possibly through an internet or satellite connection between the studio and that provider) but over the air signals are still off with no estimate of restoration currently. According to Nexstar there may have been damage to the STL but there was also flooding in the transmitter building with lots of cabling and other stuff needing replacement (on rush order). They pulled technical people from Nexstar locations around the state yesterday but could not restore the signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3015 Old 11-03-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB-oz View Post
I contacted Nexstar today and talked with engineering at WGMB/WVLA and they replied that there was weather related damage to equipment at the transmitter. The stations (33, 44, 21) are back on Directv (possibly through an internet or satellite connection between the studio and that provider) but over the air signals are still off with no estimate of restoration currently. According to Nexstar there may have been damage to the STL but there was also flooding in the transmitter building with lots of cabling and other stuff needing replacement (on rush order). They pulled technical people from Nexstar locations around the state yesterday but could not restore the signal.
WBRL-CD 21 does have an over the air signal, but 33 and 44 still do not.
post #3003 of 3015 Old 11-03-2015, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
This is going to hurt their ratings, especially now in sweeps. BTW, are they still on Cox Cable or U-Verse?

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #3004 of 3015 Old 11-03-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
This is going to hurt their ratings, especially now in sweeps. BTW, are they still on Cox Cable or U-Verse?
They're on Cox and U-Verse; both get their signals over fiber direct from Master Control. Directv (which I have; can't comment on Dish Network) normally picks the signal up via antenna before sending it to the bird. They apparently are using internet or something other to get the signal. By the way I did complain also to Directv and asked that they use some alternative to get us FOX and NBC (my suggestion was to allow an out of market or national feed) and by mid-afternoon they emailed me to say the problem had been resolved (at least as far as their service was concerned). It will affect total ratings, but also revenue. As you know with the political season, TV stations have a license to print money. They're going to have to discount (refunds/make goods) advertisers who didn't get all of the audience they thought that they had paid for.
post #3005 of 3015 Old 11-03-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
They're going to have to discount (refunds/make goods) advertisers who didn't get all of the audience they thought that they had paid for.
That means preempting low-rated network programming for infomercials or syndicated movies, especially on NBC. Just wait 'til after Thanksgiving.

post #3006 of 3015 Old 11-03-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
They're on Cox and U-Verse; both get their signals over fiber direct from Master Control.
And what about the other cable systems in the area (Charter, EATEL, etc.)?

Quote:
(my suggestion was to allow an out of market or national feed)
I thought Nexstar had a provision in its retrans contracts preventing providers from importing out-of-market NBC and FOX stations.

post #3007 of 3015 Old 11-03-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
And what about the other cable systems in the area (Charter, EATEL, etc.)?

I thought Nexstar had a provision in its retrans contracts preventing providers from importing out-of-market NBC and FOX stations.
That may very well be the case assuming that Nexstar can fulfill its obligations to provide a viable signal. But if they couldn't for an extended time it seems like there could be a case for a temporary exception. In this case Nexstar and Direct found a good work around.
post #3008 of 3015 Old 11-04-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
OTA 33 and 44 was working fine yesterday and still working today. Not sure why Nexstar told you that.
post #3009 of 3015 Old 11-08-2015, 07:21 AM

According to my display, the times of my posts are incorrect. They were originally posted when the stations were off the air. I spoke with a representative from Nexstar HQ when the stations were still down. The information that I obtained came in an email that was sent to me after she talked with people who actually knew what was going on. The same day I also talked with an engineer at WGMB/WVLA, so I stand by my information. I do not dispute that the stations were up when you responded to my posts, but they were off the air at the time that I posted.
post #3010 of 3015 Old 11-18-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like 44 and 33 are down again ota. Have'nt been able to pick them up since a few days ago.
post #3011 of 3015 Old 01-05-2016, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ota - wbrz & wafb

I have not been able to pick up Ch.2 - WBRZ or Ch.9 - WAFB with outdoor antenna for the past couple of days .

Just checking if anyone else is having this same problem ... OR, if it is on my end ??

Located just outside Denham ... FOX, NBC, PBS locals all come in strong signal ... Running Denny's Stacker Antenna.

Thanks.
post #3012 of 3015 Old 01-13-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Anyone having issues with WGMB Fox 44? Picking up a very very low signal that won't lock. No other issues with other local channels.
post #3013 of 3015 Old 03-28-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Anyone know an easy way to contact someone with engineering with WVLA. They have been having an issue with a noisy signal for a couple weeks. I get 95 to 100 signal strength but 65 on quality. It drops out at times. I have tried everything on my antenna setup including a spare antenna. Nothing fixes it. I don't have any issues with other locals, even the low power ones work better than theirs.
post #3014 of 3015 Old 09-26-2016, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I see 33.2 is now broadcasting LAFF tv
post #3015 of 3015 Old Today, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Cool Which to use?

I have a small, directional antenna, I think from AntennaDirect, pointed at the cluster of nearby Baton Rouge transmitters, (I live about 25 miles away, near New Roads, LA.). The little antenna works fine on good weather days, but when the atmosphere isn't cooperating, I get a lot of break-up. Sometimes it won't decode even when the weather is fine, so I suspect sometimes it is the transmitter having issues. The antenna is mounted on a former sat dish mount, about twenty or so feet in the air.

So here's my question...would I be better off opting for a bigger, omni-directional antenna, or adding something like a "Juice" amplifier to my system to overcome the breakup?
It always seems like the signal decides to fail during, say, the Presidential debates or the Saints game; not when I'm just watching junk tv. Would combining the directional antenna with an omni give me a much better signal?

Cable run to back bedroom is long, maybe 100', and there are several splits in the line; I think four or five altogether. Some of them I don't need. I don't want to do too much crawling around in the attic because I am planning on selling the house in a couple months, but I hate not being able to count on watching important shows.

Anybody have any input on what I should do here? Thanks!

BTW, I also use a Roku 4 to get internet tv, but sometimes it is just as frustrating. Even though I have a new, fast ASUS router, the Sling TV signal is very erratic, especially on CNN. It freezes, drops the signal, buffers forever, etc. Anybody experiencing the same issues?

Bushfilm

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page