AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalguy View Post

Follow up:

I found an old amplified uhf indoor antenna, hooked it up and scanned, and easily got HD 9, 27, and 44, all with strongs signals. But 2 and 33 are nowhere to be found, except for regular non-HD 33 which I found on channel 80(?).

Are 2 and 33 on vhf or just too difficult to get with an indoor ant? Also, there is no way to tune to them other than punch in "2" or "33" (or 80) on the remote. Is there another channel I should try where the digital signal would be for these?

At least WAFB comes in strong so I can watch LSU tomorrow

Here's my run down... I don't live in town either.

WBRZ 2 HD is on VHF 13 - very easy one to pick up even with a UHF antenna
WAFB 9 HD is on UHF 46 - considered low power in my book - HD subchannel starved
WLPB 27 HD is on UHF 25 - very easy to get
WGMB 44 HD is on UHF 45 - knocks my doors down with a 100% signal
WVLA 33 HD is on UHF 34 - a task to get at 45%-55%

As 'overworked' will tell you, WGMB & WVLA are in a temporary situation at this point so I'm glad I pick them up at all.

I'm not familiar with your TV but on my set I have two F connectors on the back of the unit. ANT A has Cox cable hooked up and ANT B has my outdoor UHF antenna hooked up. You shouldn't be picking up channel 80 on RF as there is no such thing. Channel 80 is actually the digital carrier that WVLA is on Cox Cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2956 Old 12-02-2005, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSOne View Post

Here are some WAFB pics from 2/17/05. This is from CSI:Miami. Things may be better or worse now. I don't know if this was before or Raycom decided to offer "The Tube".

Their encoder tends to leave white macroblocks when it's bit-starved.

If I remember right, TheTube didn't show up until a few months ago. I haven't seen the white artifacts on my two digital tuners. I have my HTPC set to record CSI, CSI:Miami, & CSI:NY every week and continue to shake my head every time I watch an episode.

Maybe you might know a little more FSOne, so correct me if I am wrong. I've compared both WAFB OTA and WAFB via QAM on Cox they both seem to look the same. So I'm assume WAFB feeds the same OTA mux with 9-1 through 9-4 to Cox via fiber and they pick out what they want, hence the same poor bitrate on both.
post #363 of 2956 Old 12-03-2005, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Here's my run down... I don't live in town either.

WBRZ 2 HD is on VHF 13 - very easy one to pick up even with a UHF antenna
WAFB 9 HD is on UHF 46 - considered low power in my book - HD subchannel starved
WLPB 27 HD is on UHF 25 - very easy to get
WGMB 44 HD is on UHF 45 - knocks my doors down with a 100% signal
WVLA 33 HD is on UHF 34 - a task to get at 45%-55%

As 'overworked' will tell you, WGMB & WVLA are in a temporary situation at this point so I'm glad I pick them up at all.

I'm not familiar with your TV but on my set I have two F connectors on the back of the unit. ANT A has Cox cable hooked up and ANT B has my outdoor UHF antenna hooked up. You shouldn't be picking up channel 80 on RF as there is no such thing. Channel 80 is actually the digital carrier that WVLA is on Cox Cable.

Thanks again. I live in the city, but still cannot get WBRZ.

Tuning to channel 34 and moving the antenna around did the trick for WVLA. It varies in signal strength dramatically as you move to and away from the antenna so it's tricky, but I got it to where I can pick up everything but WBRZ. That one seems to be a lost cause unless I get a dedicated ant just for it. Not worth it.

I also have two F connectors, cable and antenna, on mine. The indoor ant I'm using is the one with a rotating uhf disc with vhf rabbit ears on each side, along with separate uhf/vhf amp adjustment knobs. I forgot I had it from when Directv had to cut off my East and West Coast networks to force me to watch the local crappy stations. (I am SO tired of the screaming car commercials -read Price LeBlanc/Levis- here. Other cities don't have to put up with this crap.)
post #364 of 2956 Old 12-03-2005, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

stations. (I am SO tired of the screaming car commercials -read Price LeBlanc/Levis- here. Other cities don't have to put up with this crap.)

Dahlin'!
post #365 of 2956 Old 12-03-2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:

If I remember right, TheTube didn't show up until a few months ago. I haven't seen the white artifacts on my two digital tuners. I have my HTPC set to record CSI, CSI:Miami, & CSI:NY every week and continue to shake my head every time I watch an episode.

Maybe you might know a little more FSOne, so correct me if I am wrong. I've compared both WAFB OTA and WAFB via QAM on Cox they both seem to look the same. So I'm assume WAFB feeds the same OTA mux with 9-1 through 9-4 to Cox via fiber and they pick out what they want, hence the same poor bitrate on both.

I can't remember when The Tube showed up either. I guess it's been relatively recent, though.

I thought those pictures were from when they added the 9-3 news repeat channel, but I have an earlier picture from 12/13/04. That was also back when Cox was cramming in 3 HD's per carrier, which is why there's a difference in those pictures. Cox would drop the bitrate about 10%, but now that's unnecessary. WAFB spends even more than that on The Tube.

I don't know specifically, but I'm almost positive that WAFB takes an ASI output from their encoder and sends it over fiber to Cox. The ASI stream has everything in it (all subchannels and PSIP), and it's up to Cox to pick out what they want and also to unmangle the PSIP info.

I haven't seen the white blocks in a while, but it only happens for a frame. It's easy to miss, but I imagine there have been software changes/upgrades since then as well. I know at one point, their encoder didn't statmux anything, but I think that's been changed. I think the SDs are in a statmux group and the HD gets a fixed bitrate. I'll look when I get a chance.
post #366 of 2956 Old 12-04-2005, 10:26 AM

No HD for Colts/Titans? Booooo. Hissssss.
post #367 of 2956 Old 12-06-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:

No HD for Colts/Titans? Booooo. Hissssss.

Welcome to CBS's coverage of the NFL. Fox is so far ahead of them it's not funny.
post #368 of 2956 Old 12-06-2005, 04:02 PM

I'm wondering if that was WAFB's doing because later on I saw replays of the game in HD, so apparently some got to see it in HD, just not us. Did they wrongly assume everyone would be watching the Aint's game on the other channel?
post #369 of 2956 Old 12-06-2005, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm wondering if that was WAFB's doing because later on I saw replays of the game in HD, so apparently some got to see it in HD, just not us. Did they wrongly assume everyone would be watching the Aint's game on the other channel?

AFAIK It wasn't scheduled to be in HD.
post #370 of 2956 Old 12-06-2005, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like WVLA and WGMB are changing their antenna's. I noticed the DT channels are gone 12/06 PM and NBC was on RF 19.

I'm curious to see the signal strength after the swap.
post #371 of 2956 Old 12-06-2005, 06:01 PM

Quote:

AFAIK It wasn't scheduled to be in HD.

Who decides if it will be in HD?
post #372 of 2956 Old 12-06-2005, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who decides if it will be in HD?

The people who pay for the backhaul's to the studio.

The people who pay more to the HD camera crew and uplink truck.
post #373 of 2956 Old 12-06-2005, 06:58 PM

I still don't understand. Watching the highlight clips on ESPN HD, it sure looked like it was HD compared to other non-HD highlights. Could it be that WAFB just didn't want to broadcast it in HD?
post #374 of 2956 Old 12-07-2005, 03:06 PM

CBS decides. Check out this link to games this weekend:

http://www.sportsline.com/cbssports

Quote:

Sun., Dec. 11th
NFL
The NFL Today 12-1 p.m.
Houston @ Tennessee 1-4 p.m.
Oakalnd @ N.Y. Jets 1-4 p.m.
New England @ Buffalo* 1-4 p.m.
Indianapolis @ Jacksonville* 1-4 p.m.
Cleveland @ Cincinnati 1-4 p.m.
Kansas City @ Dallas* 4:15-7 p.m.
Baltimore @ Denver 4:15-7 p.m.
Miami @ San Diego 4:15-7 p.m.
* -- HDTV

Compare that to Fox:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3830132

Quote:

FOX Sports' 2005 NFL broadcast schedule once again boasts an unmatched offering of high definition programming. Starting with two preseason broadcasts in August, six games each week during the regular season and complete coverage throughout the NFL postseason for the second straight year, FOX Sports will present 107 games in 720p high definition this season, representing more than 90% of all games covered. The 720p (progressive) high definition format, which takes 60 razor sharp, complete pictures per second, is the gold standard in producing spectacular moving images. FOX Sports remains the only NFL broadcaster to produce as many as six NFL regular season games in HD each Sunday.

post #375 of 2956 Old 12-07-2005, 05:29 PM

Is WVLA missing today or is it just my antenna? Hard to tell
post #376 of 2956 Old 12-07-2005, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is WVLA missing today or is it just my antenna? Hard to tell

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6670598
post #377 of 2956 Old 12-08-2005, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Ha! Ok, you got me on that one. I'll pay attention next time
post #378 of 2956 Old 12-08-2005, 06:20 PM

Does anybody know why WAFB doesn't transmit dolby 5.1 like WBRZ, PBS, and FOX? I assume WVLA will have Dolby 5.1 when they fix their antenna, but what's up with WAFB?
post #379 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

WAFB is a mystery. 2 days their signal is booming, 5 days it blows. Must be atmospheric conditions eh?

I don't know how to find out info from the stations on their HD stuff. That's a mystery to me also. Digiblur should know the answers though.

The Truth IS out there!
post #380 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanspgn View Post

Does anybody know why WAFB doesn't transmit dolby 5.1 like WBRZ, PBS, and FOX? I assume WVLA will have Dolby 5.1 when they fix their antenna, but what's up with WAFB?

Speaking of Dolby Digital, I finally found out that Directv's H10 box does not transmit DD through it's HDMI connection. It only outputs it through it's optical out, which means I have to send DD audio directly into my home theater amp, bypassing the TV. This results in a lip-sync problem because the video now lags the audio due to processing time in the TV circuits. What were they thinking?

Apparently, this was brought to their attention because the H20 does not have this problem. I originally tried to buy the H20 but nobody would sell it to me down here until Directv starts their MPEG4 broadcast. So I will just have to live with it until then

Just thought you all would want to know.
post #381 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

DirectTV won't change the box out for you? Try contacting them.

Why wouldn't you want your HD go through your receiver anyways? All my audio goes through my HT system. Best sound around (for me anyways).

That's why I NEVER go to the movies anymore. My house has better picture, better sound, and the popcorn is only 25 cents a BAG! Plus the floor isn't sticky and no teenybobs making out in front of my kids either. Plus the wife likes to pee when she wants without missiing any of the movie! I buy my DVD's.

The Truth IS out there!
post #382 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

WAFB is a mystery. 2 days their signal is booming, 5 days it blows. Must be atmospheric conditions eh?

I don't know how to find out info from the stations on their HD stuff. That's a mystery to me also. Digiblur should know the answers though.

I don't have all the answers but I can guess at a few... 46kw on RF46 at their height on their tower downtown will vary greatly in different weather conditions. IMHO, they don't care about their OTA signal as they have Cox to get them "out there". I have a job for an OTA job north of Clinton, LA and I'm sure WAFB will be the thorn in my side.

On the 5.1 thing, which I haven't commented on btw.... Their encoder or decoder doesn't have cability of 5.1. So let's see... 3 subchannels and one 1080i on one OTA signal, low power, and no 5.1. Hmmmm..... who's your favorite OTA channel?

I'm seriously thinking of taking my friend up on his offer of him shipping me DVD's of CSI recorded with no subchannels and 5.1 sound to replace my "broken" ones. Last time he was over he brought and episode I had and we watched a few action scenes and you could definately see a difference. Even the other non-techies in the room saw a difference.
post #383 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

DirectTV won't change the box out for you? Try contacting them.

Why wouldn't you want your HD go through your receiver anyways? All my audio goes through my HT system. Best sound around (for me anyways).

That's why I NEVER go to the movies anymore. My house has better picture, better sound, and the popcorn is only 25 cents a BAG! Plus the floor isn't sticky and no teenybobs making out in front of my kids either. Plus the wife likes to pee when she wants without missiing any of the movie! I buy my DVD's.

They will replace it with the new H20, but only when they start broadcasting in MPEG4 down here. That will probably be middle of next year.

The reason for wanting to go through the TV is to avoid the lip-sync problem I now have. The audio is now ahead of the video, timewise, because the video is delayed by the processing inside the TV. They do sell home theater amps with audio delay for this very purpose, but I really don't need to replace mine otherwise.

On a side note, who knew Hogans Heros (on HDN) was filmed is such high quality? You can see every single thread on their uniforms. Looks even sharper than the "new" HD shows. Amazing detail.
post #384 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On a side note, who knew Hogans Heros (on HDN) was filmed is such high quality? You can see every single thread on their uniforms. Looks even sharper than the "new" HD shows. Amazing detail.

Just imagine if you were watching it on full 1920X1080 HD instead of DirecTV's HDLite!
post #385 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Just imagine if you were watching it on full 1920X1080 HD instead of DirecTV's HDLite!

ESPN2 HD is the ONLY channel that seems to be lacking. All the rest look just as good as what I get OTA.

As it is, I held off buying an hdtv for two years because it just was not worth it from what I've seen in the local showrooms. Even BestBuy's top of the line $20,000 plasma just sucked. It was like looking through a screen door. My Sony Wega had a better picture. (They got used to me showing up once a month to check out the tvs and walking away without buying.)

I'm glad I waited for my Samsung. Of course, I had to mail order it because none of the local stores had a clue as to when they would ever get them. This set is spectacular.
post #386 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Receiving WVLA DT @ 87% signal strength here in Lafayette, WGMB @ 65%.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #387 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ESPN2 HD is the ONLY channel that seems to be lacking. All the rest look just as good as what I get OTA.

As it is, I held off buying an hdtv for two years because it just was not worth it from what I've seen in the local showrooms. Even BestBuy's top of the line $20,000 plasma just sucked. It was like looking through a screen door. My Sony Wega had a better picture. (They got used to me showing up once a month to check out the tvs and walking away without buying.)

I'm glad I waited for my Samsung. Of course, I had to mail order it because none of the local stores had a clue as to when they would ever get them. This set is spectacular.

ESPN is in 1280X720P, the other channels are supposed to be 1920X1080i but DirecTV downrez's them to 1280X1080i and starves the bit rate kinda like WAFB does.

I've seen a 51inch set with DirecTV and DishNetwork hooked up. We were comparing Discovery HD and there is a dramatic difference.
post #388 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Receiving WVLA DT @ 87% signal strength here in Lafayette, WGMB @ 65%.

That is weird. I'm closer to the site than you but yet I get 75% on WVLA and 100% on WGMB. I wonder if has something to do with me being north of the transmitter?
post #389 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Digiblur, I'm 48 miles from the transmitter site (According to antennaweb.org) This must not be full power yet, No way is it 1 megawatt. Will check readings later for any changes..

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #390 of 2956 Old 12-09-2005, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Digiblur, I'm 48 miles from the transmitter site (According to antennaweb.org) This must not be full power yet, No way is it 1 megawatt. Will check readings later for any changes..

19 using the same website.

Is WVLA's signal varying wildly for you? Mine is going from 64% to 81% now that I've watched it for a bit. Other channels in the area do not have this behavior.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page