post #721 of 2960 Old 10-02-2006, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydin View Post

I remember in our database we had to "turn on" the HD channels to get them to customers sometimes, so they might not come in if you were using a QAM. I don't think CW would at any rate.

It couldn't hurt to research your TV though. If it has a built in QAM you might be in luck!

No need to turn on unencrypted QAM.... they are already "on". Now turning on the cable cards for other HD channels is a different story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2960 Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everyone like watching The Unit and Smith in non-HD last night? yuck!

The Truth IS out there!
post #723 of 2960 Old 10-04-2006, 06:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

Everyone like watching The Unit and Smith in non-HD last night? yuck!

What's the deal with this? Criminal Minds is the same way tonight.
post #724 of 2960 Old 10-04-2006, 07:54 PM

I've been following this thread a few weeks now as I just purchased a Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV. I'm having a little trouble with the QAM tuning. After performing several scans I can pickup the following channels:

2.1 NBC HD
27.5 LPB HD
77.3 CSPAN
79.4 - now 79.5 CBS HD
98.2 CW
99.1 FOX HD
105-- Music Choice
114.1 NBA Preview

I can't seem to get the ABC channel. Occasionally I can tune in two New Orleans channels on 121.2 and 121.3 - but these are generally not watchable as they break up a lot.

Any thoughts?
post #725 of 2960 Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 PM

Now Letterman is not showing in HD.
post #726 of 2960 Old 10-05-2006, 04:36 AM

Does anyone know why WAFB wasn't transmitting in HD last night? Their HD signal has been acting up a lot lately and I find the OTA signal better than the Cox cable signal. Did WAFB lose their HD capabilities or is it a CBS issue? Also, why doesn't WAFB have Dolby 5.1 like WBRZ, PBS, and FOX?
post #727 of 2960 Old 10-05-2006, 08:35 AM

I sent an email to the engineer over at WAFB last night about their programing not showing up in HD. Here's the response.

Quote:

The satellite receiver for our CBS HD programs has failed. This is a
unique receiver owned, maintained and programmed by CBS. Since its
failure CBS has not been able to repair the receiver or find us a
replacement. We are working with them on this problem and expect to have
it resolved this week.

post #728 of 2960 Old 10-05-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanspgn View Post

Does anyone know why WAFB wasn't transmitting in HD last night? Their HD signal has been acting up a lot lately and I find the OTA signal better than the Cox cable signal. Did WAFB lose their HD capabilities or is it a CBS issue? Also, why doesn't WAFB have Dolby 5.1 like WBRZ, PBS, and FOX?

5.1 is the least of our worries with WAFB.

I'm glad I don't have to lean on just WAFB for my CBS HD needs.
post #729 of 2960 Old 10-05-2006, 11:53 AM

Criminal Minds and Letterman are one thing, but if there's no LSU in HD on Saturday, I'll be pissed off. I'm thinking of going OTA to supplement my channels, any idea if I can pick up another CBS cleanly out here in Prairieville?
post #730 of 2960 Old 10-05-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrde View Post

I sent an email to the engineer over at WAFB last night about their programing not showing up in HD. Here's the response.

Are you GolfingTiger on TD?
post #731 of 2960 Old 10-05-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney View Post

Are you GolfingTiger on TD?

No. I don't know what TD is.
post #732 of 2960 Old 10-05-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsbrla View Post

Criminal Minds and Letterman are one thing, but if there's no LSU in HD on Saturday, I'll be pissed off. I'm thinking of going OTA to supplement my channels, any idea if I can pick up another CBS cleanly out here in Prairieville?

With a decent outdoor rig you probably pick up WWL.
post #733 of 2960 Old 10-05-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydin View Post

My cable line is still active, but when I hook it into the Dish Network HD box, it still doesn't find any channels when I scan. Ironically the little antenna I used years ago finds 3 versions of WBRZ (news, weather, and some other one that was playing Scrubs last night.). All came in around signal strength of 75+, so I guess that is pretty good.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but to use Cox's signal to bet CWHD, I hook it into my Dish HD box, go to the menu and look for local channels right?

Or do I need an active account with Cox and thier HD box to watch it instead?

Smallville did look pretty bad last night, and it is the main reason I still watch any TV. I never knew how much I would miss HD until last night. I am going to try that little Silver Sensor antenna and see if I can find Fox HD at least.

Thanks for the help!

The CG effects in ZOD were stunning in HD! (I just saw it) What a shame that most of us Smallville fans are unable to view it in HD. I've decided to skip tonight's episode in SD, and wait a few days for the "real thing". Forum rules prevent me from saying anything more, but if you're a diehard Smallville fan, PM me for more information.
Ben
post #734 of 2960 Old 10-05-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:

byrde,

If you are able to get any more updates on this situation, please let us know. I will cry like a little girl if I can't get LSU vs FLA in HD on Saturday. And I won't be the only one.

p.s. How long does it take to get a satellite installed? I hate to have to go find a sports bar just to get an HD satellite feed.
post #735 of 2960 Old 10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hardy View Post

The CG effects in ZOD were stunning in HD! (I just saw it) What a shame that most of us Smallville fans are unable to view it in HD. I've decided to skip tonight's episode in SD, and wait a few days for the "real thing". Forum rules prevent me from saying anything more, but if you're a diehard Smallville fan, PM me for more information.
Ben

Mixes with the My-HD card well
post #736 of 2960 Old 10-06-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:

No. I don't know what TD is.

Sorry, somebody posted that exact e-mail on tigerdroppings.com, an LSU sports website. I thought you might be the same poster.

BTW, WAFB-DT's HD was back last night. I was flipping through channels and saw the end of Shark was broadcast in HD.

So hopefully their troubles are done.
post #737 of 2960 Old 10-06-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney View Post

Sorry, somebody posted that exact e-mail on tigerdroppings.com, an LSU sports website. I thought you might be the same poster.

BTW, WAFB-DT's HD was back last night. I was flipping through channels and saw the end of Shark was broadcast in HD.

So hopefully their troubles are done.

No problem. The engineer at WAFB probably had a blanket email he sent to everyone inquiring about the HD Signal.

I noticed last night that the HD Picture was showing. I hope they have fixed their problems because I will be very pissed if the LSU game is not showing up in HD on tomorrow.
post #738 of 2960 Old 10-07-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problem. The engineer at WAFB probably had a blanket email he sent to everyone inquiring about the HD Signal.

I noticed last night that the HD Picture was showing. I hope they have fixed their problems because I will be very pissed if the LSU game is not showing up in HD on tomorrow.

Everybody ready for some muddy 1080i LSU game from WAFB? LOL!!!

FYI.... I will NOT be watching the game on WAFB because of this.
post #739 of 2960 Old 10-07-2006, 05:26 PM

The HD feed was excellent from WWL-HD 4.1. (The game, however, was something else) If you're in the Baton Rouge area, have you tried aiming your 4228 at Lafayette for CBS (KLFY, I think) HD reception? What is it, 50 or 60 miles to their tower from B.R.?
Ben
PS: episode "Sneeze" in HD is up.
post #740 of 2960 Old 10-08-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

It appears WGMB-DT is having technical difficulties this morning. Tuned in OTA for the Saints in HD to find no video but good rcv levels. At about 11:30ish, got a few seconds of pre-game with color bars before and after. PSIP indicated 45-3. Then no video but good levels. Performed auto scan and got all BR-DT except WGMB-DT and WAFB-DT. Multiple manual scans on uhf45 and still nothing. I'm guessing repaired/replaced equipment with inaccurate PSIP.

Update: 1:10p
All is well. Hats off to the technical team at WGMB-DT. Watched the recovery of the video, (on twinview PIP, while watching the game SD), and after a few sync issues, OTA WGMB-DT is back up. I know how it can be when troubleshooting technical issues while under pressure. Great job.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #741 of 2960 Old 10-08-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I found the NascarHD uplink on Ku band today for the Talledaga race and it's only running 11.2mbps with 20mbps of null packets. Should be an ugly looking race. Normally the feeds are full 30mbps. Should be lots of complaints about the race on the boards today.

post #742 of 2960 Old 10-08-2006, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Just checked the race again! They fixed it. They must have gotten a lot of complaints.

Looks awesome now! I can see a difference now when I flip back and forth from OTA to the uplink feed.
post #743 of 2960 Old 10-10-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

It appears WGMB-DT is having technical difficulties this morning. Tuned in OTA for the Saints in HD to find no video but good rcv levels. At about 11:30ish, got a few seconds of pre-game with color bars before and after. PSIP indicated 45-3. Then no video but good levels. Performed auto scan and got all BR-DT except WGMB-DT and WAFB-DT. Multiple manual scans on uhf45 and still nothing. I'm guessing repaired/replaced equipment with inaccurate PSIP.

Update: 1:10p
All is well. Hats off to the technical team at WGMB-DT. Watched the recovery of the video, (on twinview PIP, while watching the game SD), and after a few sync issues, OTA WGMB-DT is back up. I know how it can be when troubleshooting technical issues while under pressure. Great job.

Thanks
FOX blew a switch late in the pregame. MCO called FOX TOC and by the time they got through "fixing" it, the splicer system was completely hosed up. Couple that with a bad sunspot script in the splicer and you get a fun Sunday afternoon.
post #744 of 2960 Old 10-22-2006, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

It was nice seeing the LSU game in real HD for a change. Amazing! When the camera swung across the field the picture didn't turn into a bunch of squares. I wish ESPN2HD covered all of the LSU games instead of CBS. WAFB's HD signal is just garbage unless you are watching grass grow....
post #745 of 2960 Old 10-30-2006, 07:59 AM

Hey ya'll!
I was just turned onto this site from db stalkand was excited to see a Baton Rouge thread! I've been a DirecTV customer for aobut 2 years, but didn't bother with trying to get anything OTA. However i just bought a townhouse and there are several of those "wonderful" southern pine trees around and according to the DTV tech, it would prevent my pulling down my local channels off that satellite. Anyway, the Direct rep showed up at 9 at night he was only about 6 hours late, so hence the main reason why I'm switching to Dish! Anyway, he was so late and was not willing or interested in offering me alternatives, I was miffed, to say the least.

so I'm looking at getting an OTA for when the Dish tech gets here and asking him to install it for me. I know I'll have to pay him extra for that, but I wanted to ask, I take it I'll have to get one myself and have it here, or can I get one from them? and if I have to get one myself, does anyone have a reccomendation for a particular kind/brand? I don't watch the locals THAT much, so even if it's not perfect, that's fine. I just want to be able toget them in if i want...until I can get these trees taken care of.

Thanks in advance!!
post #746 of 2960 Old 10-30-2006, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Did he even try to install and pick up a signal? If you can't get locals on the sat, you shouldn't be able to get any other programming either. Usually OTA will be easier to pick up than a sat feed. You can do as I have with DTV and call to complain about the installer and get credit towards your bill.

First place to start picking an antenna is antennaweb.org. It will help you choose type and placement of your antenna.

There are many options for an OTA antenna. If you want to try something inexpensive that you can place inside with your A/V equipment, the Zenith Silver Sensor has received good ratings and can be picked up many places including Amazon. There are other places you may be able to find it cheaper.

If you want a larger antenna that can pick up weaker signals, i.e. further from the broadcast antennas, you can try something like I have. The CM4228 is a great antenna that I currently have mounted in my attic. Some people are unable to get a good signal in their attic and must mount outside.

I myself wouldn't buy what the installers offer. I know DTV offers a Terk antenna which is basically junk. Do some research on antennaweb and then find an antenna that will fit your application. If you need a reference for an antenna supplier, I used Solidsignal.com and was very pleased. I even called and asked them for advice when I was choosing my antenna and they were very helpful.

Good luck!
post #747 of 2960 Old 10-30-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

Did he even try to install and pick up a signal? If you can't get locals on the sat, you shouldn't be able to get any other programming either. Usually OTA will be easier to pick up than a sat feed. You can do as I have with DTV and call to complain about the installer and get credit towards your bill.

First place to start picking an antenna is (URL removed for forum submission). It will help you choose type and placement of your antenna.

There are many options for an OTA antenna. If you want to try something inexpensive that you can place inside with your A/V equipment, the Zenith Silver Sensor has received good ratings and can be picked up many places including Amazon. There are other places you may be able to find it cheaper.

If you want a larger antenna that can pick up weaker signals, i.e. further from the broadcast antennas, you can try something like I have. The CM4228 is a great antenna that I currently have mounted in my attic. Some people are unable to get a good signal in their attic and must mount outside.

I myself wouldn't buy what the installers offer. I know DTV offers a Terk antenna which is basically junk. Do some research on antennaweb and then find an antenna that will fit your application. If you need a reference for an antenna supplier, I used (removed URL for forum submission) and was very pleased. I even called and asked them for advice when I was choosing my antenna and they were very helpful.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info!
No, he didn't try to pick up anything. He practially got out of his truck stating no line of site. Then after i suggested some places for him to set up my dish then he started saying that he could get it down off of 2 satellites that brought down the actual...what i call "good stuff" but the locals would be behind trees and coldn't be broguth down. He said that he could get someone out there for a 2nd opinion but as of today, almost a week later, no one has called me. I did call them to complain, but the most I got was a $20 credit from my bill. The eareliest they can get to me for a 2nd opinon is the 11th. No thank you!! That's why I'm trying Dish to see if this installer will do any better.

I'm wondering...do you know of any place local where I could get the CM or the Zenith model you mentioned? You're not the first to suggest the CM 4228 antenna. I'd also be willing to get it professionally mounted, as I'm not too much of a 'do-it-youself-er'. (My friends used to say 'you're very mechanically inclined...u screw everything up!

Thanks again!!

P.S. Let me add my apologies for not noticing the other OTA advice in the forums before I posted my question. I hate it when others do that and here I go doing it!

Bruce
post #748 of 2960 Old 10-30-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I was unable to find anyone local for the CM. You can do a search on the channelmaster website for dealers and call around to see if anyone stocks them. Otherwise, you can check their internet dealers for pricing and availability.

As for the Zenith, I think Radio Shack may carry them.

FYI....the local installer for DTV is Direct Tech out of Lafayette. Their # is 800-428-2853 or 337-233-5301. I had to call and complain to them several times to get someone to my house to complete an install, even had to talk to the supervisor. At the time, which was actually just last week, I had already waited 2.5 weeks for my install appt and would not put up with having to wait a few more weeks for them to come back and complete it. I'd call DTV back and complain or call the # I gave you to complain to them.....unless of course you have given up and decided to go with Dish.
post #749 of 2960 Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

I was unable to find anyone local for the CM. You can do a search on the channelmaster website for dealers and call around to see if anyone stocks them. Otherwise, you can check their internet dealers for pricing and availability.

As for the Zenith, I think Radio Shack may carry them.

FYI....the local installer for DTV is Direct Tech out of Lafayette. Their # is 800-428-2853 or 337-233-5301. I had to call and complain to them several times to get someone to my house to complete an install, even had to talk to the supervisor. At the time, which was actually just last week, I had already waited 2.5 weeks for my install appt and would not put up with having to wait a few more weeks for them to come back and complete it. I'd call DTV back and complain or call the # I gave you to complain to them.....unless of course you have given up and decided to go with Dish.

I have pretty much given up on them as I'm pretty angry. However i've not cancelld the install I have on the 11th. I figure IF Dish can't do any better when they come out, or I" not satisified, then I'll cancel them and keep Direct on the 11th. I did call DirecTech and I got the runaround from them too! It's sad, cuz until this point, I've been pretty satisified. the CSR I had when I called and schedule my move was GREAT! He worked out some things for me that was awesome. But what good is it if i can't get my service installed, ya know?

Thanks again!
Bruce
post #750 of 2960 Old 10-30-2006, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW... D*'s main 3 LNB dish is pointing at 101, 110, and 119. 101 has a higher elevation in our area than 110. 110 has a higher elevation than 119. E* uses 119 for the core programming and 110 for the left overs. Their HD is on 110. The HD on 129 is also mirrored at 61.5.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page