post #811 of 2960 Old 12-08-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolainsola View Post

1) They WILL have Baton Rouge HD locals in a year (maybe 2).

2) The launch of new sat's will mean will be able to have over 150 National HD channels. These will start coming online next year. As tempting as Dish is, most of the HD lineup includes channels that I never watch or don't exist in SD. In other words, it is nice to look at but I would rather watch ESPNU SD than "Treasure HD."

And both Dish and D* down rez their HD. I think D* probably does it a bit more now because of the lack of bandwidth, but again all that *should* change when the new birds get into orbit.

I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2960 Old 12-11-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A great game last night for the Saints. Its too bad NBC Sunday Night Football looks so bad in HD. I'm guessing that this is not a WVLA problem but a network problem. I, along with MANY others here, rank them dead last in quality of HD for sports. CBS sure seems to make 1080i work for sports, why can't NBC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur in New Orleans Local Thread View Post

I checked the WVLA NBC OTA feed and it is configured for a bitrate of 15mbps which is decent for a 1920x1080i feed. But there is a couple of megabits of null packets. It might be a question for their engineer that posts in the Baton Rouge forum. The audio is only AC-3 2.0 audio at 384kbps. When ya coming over to see the 35mbps feed...?

digiblur, sorry to cross-quote but I want to ask these questions in this thread. I'm not sure what this information means exactly, but do the null packets cause the effective bit rate to be less? Does this indicate that WVLA is actually getting a 35mbps feed? Do you see the pixellation we've all become accustomed to on NBC HD when you watch the high bandwidth feed?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #813 of 2960 Old 12-11-2006, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

digiblur, sorry to cross-quote but I want to ask these questions in this thread. I'm not sure what this information means exactly, but do the null packets cause the effective bit rate to be less? Does this indicate that WVLA is actually getting a 35mbps feed? Do you see the pixellation we've all become accustomed to on NBC HD when you watch the high bandwidth feed?

That might be a question for 33/44CE since he knows more about the encoder side of things.

I'm not sure what type of feed the networks receive.

And the answer is no, I see absolutely zero pixelation on the high bit rate feeds. What is really painful is watching WAFB's 1080i signal at 10-11mbps!! Just think this is what everyone watched the LSU tigers on in Baton Rouge!
post #814 of 2960 Old 12-12-2006, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you....

What's so hard to believe about that? D* is adding HD locals in cities comprable to the size of BR now. I would be very surprised if we don't see them here by this time next year, although I will still use my OTA.

As far as national HD programming, you can't deny the money being spent launching all those sats is for future HD programming. Sure, there is a bird or two being launched to replace older ones, but they have a pretty aggressive plan in place to go HD with the MPEG4 transition. Will they have a 150 national HD channels? Who knows for sure, but they will have the capacity for it within a couple of years. I guess you have to look at it this way - a company does not spend millions upon milllions launching 2-3 new sats a year (for a specific purpose) and not use it.

JMHO
post #815 of 2960 Old 12-12-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolainsola View Post

What's so hard to believe about that?

I can guarantee you D* will continue to downrezz and bit starve the HD channels, they've already paved the way for this and most people accept it because they've never seen real 16mbps 1920X1080i HD. Hell, I've seen people calling their analog SD cable connection HD. They think they are watching ESPN2HD because it says it on the screen when they are watching it on Cox analog cable!

There's no doubt that D* will be adding HD content next year...do I think they are focusing on locals and not national HD? Yes. They've got a lot of dishes to install next year!

Next year will be interesting to watch between E* and D*.
post #816 of 2960 Old 12-12-2006, 11:55 AM

I suppose that was a good business move on their part, concentrating their resources on local-HD-through-satellite, but it sucks for those of us with OTA who want more HD programming. Next summer is supposed to bring +40 HD channels.

As far as downrezzing goes, I've been reading some complaints on the Dish boards about Dish doing the same thing lately, how their picture quality isn't what it used to be, on both SD and HD. They may have started out well, but now they're doing the same thing.

At least good ol' capitalism is at work in the form of competition between the two, and eventually the consumer wins out in the end. Just a few years ago I didn't think there would be a large HD tv in my living room, given that they were in the $30,000 range. Now I've got a beautiful 56" DLP that I'm addicted to, and it set me back only $2500.

Isn't competition great
post #817 of 2960 Old 12-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Yep, I remember the good old days when content providers used to display HD w/out the downrez'ing. No doubt D* does this, but so does everyone else (including Dish). It doesn't make it right and it pisses me off, but I am hopeful with the increased bandwidth things will get a little better.

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=26897

[quote=digiblur]I can guarantee you D* will continue to downrezz and bit starve the HD channels, they've already paved the way for this and most people accept it because they've never seen real 16mbps 1920X1080i HD.
post #818 of 2960 Old 12-12-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st8kout View Post

As far as downrezzing goes, I've been reading some complaints on the Dish boards about Dish doing the same thing lately, how their picture quality isn't what it used to be, on both SD and HD. They may have started out well, but now they're doing the same thing.

Don't get hung up on the resolutions guys.... a lot of you only have 1280X720/1080 native displays anyways. The huge problem I have with HD material is bit starving, take a look at WAFB and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm sure E* will soon downrez all of their material from 1920X1080i to 1280X1080i to match D* in order to stay competitive, Cox will then follow in line. Kinda makes all of these "1080p True HD" displays pointless, eh? One huge advantage that E* has over D* at this time is their 8PSK modulation on their HD muxes.

Makes you want to go back to the days of the simple 21 inch TV and C-Band satellite dish, eh?
post #819 of 2960 Old 12-13-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Makes you want to go back to the days of the simple 21 inch TV and C-Band satellite dish, eh?

Well, I wouldn't go that far
post #820 of 2960 Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone notice the OTA mux of WAFB is missing 9-3? 9-3 was their 24 hour news loop. It looks like their HD channel is set to static bit rate of 14.3 mbps. The radar is set to 2mbps and so is TheTube. 14.3 mbps is decent for 1080i, a lot better than 10-11mbps they were giving us.

I also checked the QAM256 mux on COX that contains WBRZ-HD and WAFB-HD. WAFB is also showing 14.3 mbps.

I'm hoping this isn't temporary.....
post #821 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 01:52 PM

And once again our local CBS affiliate chose to waste electricity showing 3 hours of infomercials that nobody watches instead of any of the 6 NFL games CBS was broadcasting today at 12 noon. Why not just turn out the lights, lock the doors and go home since they don't care that nobody is tuned in?
post #822 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And once again our local CBS affiliate chose to waste electricity showing 3 hours of infomercials that nobody watches instead of any of the 6 NFL games CBS was broadcasting today at 12 noon. Why not just turn out the lights, lock the doors and go home since they don't care that nobody is tuned in?

I couldn't believe it when I flipped to OTA earlier in the day... glad I have other means to get CBS games instead of WAFB.

I'm not sure if the D* users have the option but E* users with one of the VIP line receivers can easily get other networks in HD.
post #823 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:

I couldn't believe it when I flipped to OTA earlier in the day... glad I have other means to get CBS games instead of WAFB.

I'm not sure if the D* users have the option but E* users with one of the VIP line receivers can easily get other networks in HD.

We used to get east and west coast network stations (and LOVED it), but then the cheap b*stards at WAFB filed suit to cut us off to make us watch their station.

There used to be an FCC rule that stations had to show they were serving the public interest. I'd say WAFB has fallen flat on their face in that regard. Anyone up for an FCC petition? They say I'm not allowed to watch other CBS stations yet they show infomercials instead of football!?! To add insult to injury, the people at the station get to watch the other CBS games privately on their monitors, but not us.
post #824 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We used to get east and west coast network stations (and LOVED it), but then the cheap b*stards at WAFB filed suit to cut us off to make us watch their station.

There used to be an FCC rule that stations had to show they were serving the public interest. I'd say WAFB has fallen flat on their face in that regard. Anyone up for an FCC petition? They say I'm not allowed to watch other CBS stations yet they show infomercials instead of football!?! To add insult to injury, the people at the station get to watch the other CBS games privately on their monitors, but not us.

If you decide to go that route good luck with that... but there are a few other options that are easier and require less energy.
post #825 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:

I thought the judge in Florida ruled to cut off distant stations on Dish. Directv has even been running ads to try to win over Dish customers who were mad about being cut off, offering big discounts. This was about two weeks ago.
post #826 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:

I thought the judge in Florida ruled to cut off distant stations on Dish. Directv has even been running ads to try to win over Dish customers who were mad about being cut off, offering big discounts. This was about two weeks ago.

They still are running those commericals! A friend of mine (who I initially got to sign up on D* when I was a D* customer) emailed me a link to one of their ads asking me what that was about. Fortunatly, in our area, it doesn't affect us, but if someone doesn't do their reseach, it sure can make E* look bad!
post #827 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually yes and no. DishNetwork can no longer off distants to anyone even if they qualify. AllAmericanDirect is no leasing one of Dish's transponders at 119 to offer distant networks to people with DishNetwork equipment. It is a separate bill, and you don't even have to sub to DishNetwork if you want just the distants. So, can Dish offer you distants? No.. but AllAmericanDirect can via the same equipment, if you qualify of course. http://www.mydistantnetworks.com/

Now.. with distants put to the side. Can you receive out of market networks via a satellite provider? Yes. How?

1. With DishNetwork and the correct equipment, like a 622 or 211, etc. You can simply change your service address to something like Chicago or Atlanta if you have a dish pointed to 129w. If you have a dish pointed to 61.5W consult Lyngsat and pick a market that is right for you. I know about 6+ people in the New Orleans area that have done this since WDSU NBC has NO HD signal available OTA or even on Cox. This is commonly called "moving" and is very easy to do. I know a few others that have done this too that live in rural areas with no OTA options and no cable options for HD networks.

2. Subscribe to BellExpressVU via a broker and recieve all of your east and west networks in HD.

Or other route I use is CBand dish and PCI DVB card connected to my HTPC.
post #828 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 03:34 PM

I've often thought about that, esp since I'm on their auto-billpay system. If I only knew somebody in someplace that had no locals, like the Nevada desert, I could use their address and get the east/west coast feeds here

Also, there's the 'if you qualify' line that is the real bugger. Stations like WAFB claim their signal is strong and provides coverage all the way into Mississippi north and east of us (yeah, right).
post #829 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've often thought about that, esp since I'm on their auto-billpay system. If I only knew somebody in someplace that had no locals, like the Nevada desert, I could use their address and get the east/west coast feeds here

Google is your friend for addresses. Then punch them into the website to see what qualifies.
post #830 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Google is your friend for addresses. Then punch them into the website to see what qualifies.

Huh??? You still need to know the person at the address, someone who does not already have their service AND someone who is not going to return the mail from Directv or Dish back to sender. I still receive a bill in the mail even though I'm on auto-pay, and being it's a first-class letter, it would be returned back to them and they would find out.
post #831 of 2960 Old 12-17-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh??? You still need to know the person at the address, someone who does not already have their service AND someone who is not going to return the mail from Directv or Dish back to sender. I still receive a bill in the mail even though I'm on auto-pay, and being it's a first-class letter, it would be returned back to them and they would find out.

A service address is just for the service. The billing address is where the bill will be sent to. You can also opt out of the postal service bill too if you like and view it online if you are worried.

The times I've seen it done is to find an address via google. Add an appt number and then see if it qualifies before they call. No questions asked and it's done in a few minutes. If they ask, you already have a dish setup at your 2nd home.
post #832 of 2960 Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

That has nothing to do with the local stations. The NFL doesnt let another game be shown against the Home team game. The saints were playing on Fox @ 12:00, thats why cbs baton rouge and new orleans could not shows games @ 12:00.
that wasnt the station, that was the nfl.
post #833 of 2960 Old 12-18-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispap View Post

That has nothing to do with the local stations. The NFL doesnt let another game be shown against the Home team game. The saints were playing on Fox @ 12:00, thats why cbs baton rouge and new orleans could not shows games @ 12:00.
that wasnt the station, that was the nfl.

The Saints played during the Texans game in Houston. The Texans in crappy SD and the Saints in brilliant HD.
post #834 of 2960 Old 12-18-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmanuel View Post

The Saints played during the Texans game in Houston. The Texans in crappy SD and the Saints in brilliant HD.

I should have said when the home team is playing a HOME game. The texans were playing an away game that is why you got 2 games.
By NFL Broadcast rules,(OTA) no game can air on the opposite network at the same time on a city's FOX/CBS affiliate, if the city has a home football game taking place .
post #835 of 2960 Old 12-18-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispap View Post

I should have said when the home team is playing a HOME game. The texans were playing an away game that is why you got 2 games.
By NFL Broadcast rules,(OTA) no game can air on the opposite network at the same time on a city's FOX/CBS affiliate, if the city has a home football game taking place .

That must be a brand new rule because it didn't used to be that way. I remember watching many other games while the Saints were in the Dome. One more reason to get rid of the Saints. I wish someone would put them out of our misery, or at least move them up to Shreveport away from us

They are really tempting me into piracy (lol).
post #836 of 2960 Old 12-18-2006, 02:00 PM

Why the complaining? This isn't WAFB's fault. Each week, you will get 3 games, 2 on Fox and 1 on CBS or 2 on CBS and 1 on Fox. They alternate doubleheader weekends. Since the Saints were playing at home on Fox, WAFB couldn't air another game, unless it was their doubleheader weekend. Since Fox had the doubleheader this weekend, CBS could only show the late game. So you had 2 late games to choose from, when in most cases you only have 1.
post #837 of 2960 Old 12-18-2006, 08:20 PM

anybody "move" to houston and still see the right dish network bird from br?
post #838 of 2960 Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 PM

Ok, so maybe it's not WAFB's fault after all. These NFL rules are really beginning to suck. I don't know why they feel they have to be so greedy, such as blacking out home games if they don't sellout (an all too familiar occurrence here). At least we had a reprieve when they could not play in the dome last season.

They're doing their best to tempt me into piracy. HAR
post #839 of 2960 Old 12-19-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboydave View Post

anybody "move" to houston and still see the right dish network bird from br?

Yeah, but then you're stuck with the Texans. Dallas would be better.
post #840 of 2960 Old 12-20-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but then you're stuck with the Texans. Dallas would be better.

that doesn't matter to me. i'm west of y'all and just looking for other programming other than lafayette locals.....yuck!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page