post #1111 of 2960 Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33/44 CE View Post

We made some changes today and the system seems more stable. This was NOT the fix, but maybe it will help until the real fix later this week.

I'm guessing the "real fix" has happened by now? I've had no problems with 33 or 44....

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 2960 Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucedbr View Post

Can anyone reccomend a small inside pair of rabbit ears?

I've heard the Zenith Silver Sensor is supposed to perform well. I never had the need for one, so I haven't tried it out though.

Jeff

post #1113 of 2960 Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

I've heard the Zenith Silver Sensor is supposed to perform well. I never had the need for one, so I haven't tried it out though.

The Silver Sensor says it's a UHF antenna. I take it that would elminate the VHF channels, like 2 and 9? I see a few of them on Ebay for good prices though. hmmmm.
post #1114 of 2960 Old 03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it may not pick up VHF as well as UHF. Really the only way to know is to try it. First I think I'd go to Radio Shack and try one of theirs. That way if it doesn't work, you can bring it back. You could try those on eBay, but of course if they don't work well for you, there would be no way to return them. I guess it depends on the cost and if it's worth it to you.

Jeff

post #1115 of 2960 Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 AM

Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, that's what I figured, but I know Radio Shack is not exactly cheap! hehe. But you're right...that's going to be the best thing to do, I think...that way if it just doesn't do what it should, i could bring it back.

Thanks!
post #1116 of 2960 Old 03-26-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucedbr View Post

Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, that's what I figured, but I know Radio Shack is not exactly cheap! hehe. But you're right...that's going to be the best thing to do, I think...that way if it just doesn't do what it should, i could bring it back.

Thanks!

Wal-Mart is also decent too. Pickup a UHF/VHF amplified combo antenna. Read the specs on the back of the box for the DB gain on each band.
post #1117 of 2960 Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Oh...thanks, Digi! I didn't realize Wal-Mart sold Rabbit Ears. I should have guessed! They'll have a better price, I"m sure!
post #1118 of 2960 Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 AM

Anyone using the HDHomeRun QAM tuner in Baton Rouge? I tried hooking one up last night and I could only get a good signal on FOX HD, NBC HD, & LPB HD. I could not find ABC and CBS HD was in and out. From what I hear CBS and ABC are on channel 100, but I can't get that channel to tune. I also get a ton of music channels and ESPN classic. I think the amplifier that COX installed may be blocking the frequency. Any help would be appreciated.

OK. I found out that my problem was signal strength. I resplit and locals all look good. Does anyone have a list of all the unencrypted QAM channels from COX? A copy of a remap file for HDHomerun would be very helpful.
post #1119 of 2960 Old 03-27-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing the "real fix" has happened by now? I've had no problems with 33 or 44....

Actually, no. We are sched to shut down Thurs night to make the final repairs. We did some testing last Fri night to make sure of what we're dealing with.
post #1120 of 2960 Old 03-27-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieSCH View Post

Anyone using the HDHomeRun QAM tuner in Baton Rouge? I tried hooking one up last night and I could only get a good signal on FOX HD, NBC HD, & LPB HD. I could not find ABC and CBS HD was in and out. From what I hear CBS and ABC are on channel 100, but I can't get that channel to tune. I also get a ton of music channels and ESPN classic. I think the amplifier that COX installed may be blocking the frequency. Any help would be appreciated.

OK. I found out that my problem was signal strength. I resplit and locals all look good. Does anyone have a list of all the unencrypted QAM channels from COX? A copy of a remap file for HDHomerun would be very helpful.

I've been thinking of picking one up for quite sometime especially since TSReader supports it now.

ABC and CBS are on 100. There are a few other minor things up above 100, including some HD from N.O. on 121. But the HD on 121 in my area is unwatchable, the signal drops out every 2-3 seconds.

The amps Cox use shouldn't block out the signal as it would hurt their offering of programming to you. I'd try to bring the box out to where the cable enters your home, this will eliminate any splitters, amps, etc.
post #1121 of 2960 Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33/44 CE View Post

Actually, no. We are sched to shut down Thurs night to make the final repairs. We did some testing last Fri night to make sure of what we're dealing with.

I have a question that I have been meaning to ask you. I am one of the "renegades" receiving your signal from the New Orleans area (Kenner). I consistently receive 33.1 at ~65% signal strength on my Directv receivers. However, channel 44.1 usually never locks on, and signal strength is always less than 40%. Is there a reason for this?

I notice on the FCC website that these two transmitters are on the same tower, and they broadcast with the same ERP (1000kW). The only difference I see is that the transmitter for 33.1 is higher up on the tower. Can this possibly be the difference? And will the final repairs you are doing tomorrow night have any effect on what I am experiencing?

This is not that big of deal to me, because I really set out to get the NBC sports programming in HD because of the ongoing saga of our local affiliate. But I am curious and always want to learn more about how this stuff works!

Thanks so much for participating in our forum and keeping us informed.

John
post #1122 of 2960 Old 03-28-2007, 06:30 PM

This is more of a technical question....but I figured I would ask here first since it does relate to local Baton Rouge reception. I am attempting to get OTA HD on an iMac in my PC room with a USB ATSC HD Tuner attached. I have also decided to run signal to my Livingroom so I can enjoy primetime in HD on my widescreen TV without the annoying pixelations and signal breakup from COX cable. (They have been to my house five times in the last year, but are unable to fix the problem......my guess is weak signal and they won't admit it because they will not spend the money to increase it at the headend.) I have decided to try the CM 4228 in my attic and I will need to split that signal between these two rooms. Will I need an amplifier of some sort? How much does it weaken the signal when you split it? I obviously would need all the local channels, but would also be interested in NO or Lafayette channels if that's possible. If I do need an amp, is there a good standard that comes recommended? I understand that if you have a bad signal coming in, it won't do much good to amplify a bad signal, but maybe it will help if you are splitting the signal.

Thanks in advance,

By the way I live at the south end of Bluebonnet.
post #1123 of 2960 Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundi View Post

This is more of a technical question....but I figured I would ask here first since it does relate to local Baton Rouge reception. I am attempting to get OTA HD on an iMac in my PC room with a USB ATSC HD Tuner attached. I have also decided to run signal to my Livingroom so I can enjoy primetime in HD on my widescreen TV without the annoying pixelations and signal breakup from COX cable. (They have been to my house five times in the last year, but are unable to fix the problem......my guess is weak signal and they won't admit it because they will not spend the money to increase it at the headend.) I have decided to try the CM 4228 in my attic and I will need to split that signal between these two rooms. Will I need an amplifier of some sort? How much does it weaken the signal when you split it? I obviously would need all the local channels, but would also be interested in NO or Lafayette channels if that's possible. If I do need an amp, is there a good standard that comes recommended? I understand that if you have a bad signal coming in, it won't do much good to amplify a bad signal, but maybe it will help if you are splitting the signal.

Thanks in advance,

By the way I live at the south end of Bluebonnet.

Let's break this down... the CM4228 has an average UHF gain of 12 db. But sometimes it is higher depending on the channel as seen here:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

12db to start with. Let's be generous and only cut 35% of the signal due to the attic. Now we have 7.8db left. Now if you look at a typical splitter they are labeled as -3.5 on both legs. So now you have 4.3 db of signal left. Not that bad for picking up the BR OTA's if the antenna is pointed towards the OTA towers. I doubt you'll be able to pick up the N.O. or Lafayette channels. You might be able to pick up the N.O. channels with an amp in the attic and the antenna pointed at N.O. You'll be able to pick up the BR locals off the backside except for WAFB CBS due to their low signal. You might be able to pull off the WAFB if you have the antenna outdoors.

I might be absolutely wrong though... since there are many other unseen variables in the mix too. You never know until you try...
post #1124 of 2960 Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 PM

Thanks Digiblur,

Is Wafb broadcast over UHF? I though it was Wbrz that was hard to pull in since it was VHF? If so Would it do any good to get a VHF antenna, point it towards WBRZ and then combine the signals into one cable?

Sorry for all the questions....but I havent dealt with antennas for 20 years !!
post #1125 of 2960 Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Digiblur,

Is Wafb broadcast over UHF? I though it was Wbrz that was hard to pull in since it was VHF? If so Would it do any good to get a VHF antenna, point it towards WBRZ and then combine the signals into one cable?

Sorry for all the questions....but I havent dealt with antennas for 20 years !!

No, the CM4228 pulls in RF 13 on the VHF just fine. I've even used a CM4228 for pulling in RF 7 and RF 8 with zero issues.

WAFB...hmmm... of course you know the higher an antenna usually the better. Now as you go up in frequency in the spectrum it takes more power to be "heard" farther. Notice the trend? See what's wrong with WAFB? LOL....

WBRZ-DT 13 - 30kw - 515 meters
WLPB-DT 25 - 200kw - 295 meters
WVLA-DT 34 - 1000kw - 522 meters
WGMB-DT 45 - 1000kw - 424 meters
WAFB-DT 46 - 46kw - 146 meters
post #1126 of 2960 Old 03-28-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

No, the CM4228 pulls in RF 13 on the VHF just fine. I've even used a CM4228 for pulling in RF 7 and RF 8 with zero issues.

WAFB...hmmm... of course you know the higher an antenna usually the better. Now as you go up in frequency in the spectrum it takes more power to be "heard" farther. Notice the trend? See what's wrong with WAFB? LOL....

WBRZ-DT 13 - 30kw - 515 meters
WLPB-DT 25 - 200kw - 295 meters
WVLA-DT 34 - 1000kw - 522 meters
WGMB-DT 45 - 1000kw - 424 meters
WAFB-DT 46 - 46kw - 146 meters

I see the problem......not likely they will spend money to fix that problem......maybe by 2009 !
post #1127 of 2960 Old 03-29-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see the problem......not likely they will spend money to fix that problem......maybe by 2009 !

You guessed it, along the same time they install their 5.1 audio. Their coverage area will not increase then either. There supposed to be at 0.36kw on RF 9 then. My neighbor down the street will have a bigger rig than WAFB! He's running 1kw around 27mhz, and WAFB's only 0.36kw at 186mhz? Hmmm..... I hope all the documents are wrong on the FCC website but I doubt it.
post #1128 of 2960 Old 03-31-2007, 09:02 PM

Can i have a list of the Qam channels
like this one but all the channels that we get here in the Baton ROuge Area?
Thanks

93-2 PBS-HD
93-1 NBC-HD
98-18 CW HD
99-15 FOX HD
100-1 ABC HD
100-4 CBS HD
post #1129 of 2960 Old 04-02-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

You guessed it, along the same time they install their 5.1 audio. Their coverage area will not increase then either. There supposed to be at 0.36kw on RF 9 then. My neighbor down the street will have a bigger rig than WAFB! He's running 1kw around 27mhz, and WAFB's only 0.36kw at 186mhz? Hmmm..... I hope all the documents are wrong on the FCC website but I doubt it.

Typical WAFB tonight during the NCAA championship game. Every major sporting event CBS carries, WAFB's signal goes to crap. I'm sure I'll be able to watch all the primetime shows (which I have zero interest in) tomorrow thru Friday just fine, then by Saturday and Sunday afternoon when it's time for the Masters, the signal will once again be garbage.
post #1130 of 2960 Old 04-03-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney View Post

Typical WAFB tonight during the NCAA championship game. Every major sporting event CBS carries, WAFB's signal goes to crap. I'm sure I'll be able to watch all the primetime shows (which I have zero interest in) tomorrow thru Friday just fine, then by Saturday and Sunday afternoon when it's time for the Masters, the signal will once again be garbage.

Get yourself an antenna and point to WWL (4.1) in New Orleans I bet you can have it operational before the weekend.

This is what I do to pick up WVLA in Baton Rouge (33.1) so I can watch sports in HD on NBC. Our local NBC affiliate (WDSU) has not been back up since Katrina.

Cheers,
John
post #1131 of 2960 Old 04-03-2007, 01:58 PM

where can I pick up a CM4228 here in Baton Rouge?
post #1132 of 2960 Old 04-03-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino2469 View Post

Not sure where locally... try Ralph's.

Here's a few links to online. Be sure to include shipping when you include prices. One of these comes with 50 foot of coax too:

http://www.summitsource.com/perfect-...28-p-5739.html
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?prod=ANC4228

There's another where I've bought two from before but I can't seem to remember where.
post #1133 of 2960 Old 04-03-2007, 02:44 PM

thanks digi, just placed an order.
post #1134 of 2960 Old 04-03-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought mine from Warren Electronics and was satisfied. You can try Stark Electronic too.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/4228.htm
http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm

Jeff

post #1135 of 2960 Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought mine from Warren Electronics and was satisfied. You can try Stark Electronic too.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/4228.htm
http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm

Warren...that's the one. I kept thinking Wilson, guess I was stuck in my CB days.
post #1136 of 2960 Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydt View Post

Can i have a list of the Qam channels
like this one but all the channels that we get here in the Baton ROuge Area?
Thanks

93-2 PBS-HD
93-1 NBC-HD
98-18 CW HD
99-15 FOX HD
100-1 ABC HD
100-4 CBS HD

I believe that list is still valid.
post #1137 of 2960 Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:

I got mine at Ralph's. Call first, since it'll probably take a day to get it from Lafayette.

It was about $50 total, from what I remember.
post #1138 of 2960 Old 04-11-2007, 02:01 PM

should I go to antennaweb.org to get the direction to point my antenna?
post #1139 of 2960 Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

should I go to antennaweb.org to get the direction to point my antenna?

Just point in the general direction and use the TV to determine the best direction.
post #1140 of 2960 Old 04-11-2007, 02:40 PM

another thing, I didn't read very well and the antenna didn't come with a mast, any suggestions?

When I just hook it up in my room and play around with it I can get everything except CBS, I'm hoping once I get it up and outside it grabs CBS.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page