post #91 of 2960 Old 08-08-2005, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Hi, care to share your sources? are you an employee of Marsand, or the galloways?

I don't think you'll find anyone giving up their sources as they probably not approved to publically talk about the changes as to not get someone's hopes up due to delays in the project. So I guess we'll just have to take the little bit of the anonymous tips we get here and there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2960 Old 08-09-2005, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How long (pending weather) should it take from Friday to finish?

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overworked View Post

Hang in there.

Antenna changes start toward end of next week. (weather permitting)

post #93 of 2960 Old 08-11-2005, 05:37 AM

How long it will take is the question everybody wants the answer to and nobody has the answer to.
post #94 of 2960 Old 08-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

I think we should make a pool..

I'll take Oct. 31. 2005

Heck, that seems to be the only date Baton Rouge people get excited about.

The Truth IS out there!
post #95 of 2960 Old 08-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

I'll be a little more optimistic and say, August 18th! (Actually anytime before the NFL seasons kicks off will be ok with me)

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #96 of 2960 Old 08-11-2005, 06:03 PM

Which tower does fox broadcast hd off of? Is it that little one next to the station? What about NBC?
post #97 of 2960 Old 08-12-2005, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolainsola View Post

Which tower does fox broadcast hd off of? Is it that little one next to the station? What about NBC?

Yep... it's the little backhaul tower. Look for the dual antenna's at the top.
post #98 of 2960 Old 08-13-2005, 08:51 PM

Wow.
post #99 of 2960 Old 08-16-2005, 07:59 PM

Weather permitting, antenna replacement should start on the 19th or 20, taking a few days to complete and tune. Full power HD should follow immediately on both stations.

There are a huge number of variables in this equation, this is a best guess timetable.
post #100 of 2960 Old 08-17-2005, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overworked View Post

Weather permitting, antenna replacement should start on the 19th or 20, taking a few days to complete and tune. Full power HD should follow immediately on both stations.

There are a huge number of variables in this equation, this is a best guess timetable.

Great! We'll be aggressively scanning this weekend. I'll be watching to see what happens on 33, 34, 44, and 45. I was always curious on how Cox get's WVLA's and WGMB's signals... are they fed the SD & HD signals via fiber from the station?
post #101 of 2960 Old 08-17-2005, 09:51 AM

All 7 feeds, 4 analogs and 3 HD ASI, are fed via fiber to Cox. The Directv pop is also fed directly, so none of those will be affected.
post #102 of 2960 Old 08-17-2005, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Will these installations affect the HD feed through Cox or is this just for OTA broadcasts?
post #103 of 2960 Old 08-18-2005, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerscrossed View Post

Will these installations affect the HD feed through Cox or is this just for OTA broadcasts?

Just the OTA people.
post #104 of 2960 Old 08-21-2005, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing new... haven't noticed 33 or 44 missing from the air yet either.
post #105 of 2960 Old 08-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Me neither. I did however, pick up "the tube". Off the top of my head, I think it's channel 9-4.

Btw.. regular tv on fox AND nbc blew a gasket yesterday. Are these stations that short on money or what?

Football is around the corner, I hope they hurry up! The football broadcast on CBS in HD was phenomenal!!

The Truth IS out there!
post #106 of 2960 Old 08-22-2005, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

Me neither. I did however, pick up "the tube". Off the top of my head, I think it's channel 9-4.

Btw.. regular tv on fox AND nbc blew a gasket yesterday. Are these stations that short on money or what?

Football is around the corner, I hope they hurry up! The football broadcast on CBS in HD was phenomenal!!

I noticed WBRZ also adding an additional subchannel. WAFB added the The Tube like many other broadcasters. No biggie here I've already been picking them up on G10R Ku band.

Maybe the "regular" TV is a byproduct of the upcoming launch of the real signal from the tower in Addis? We can only hope!
post #107 of 2960 Old 08-22-2005, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone notice the 0.36kw signal application that WAFB applied for on RF-9?
post #108 of 2960 Old 08-22-2005, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

No words needed...the pictures speak for themselves. I'll get some breakdowns of the QAM channels soon. My question is now that WAFB is really starving the HD signal by only giving 11mbps to CSI, does Cox get the signal before or after that compress it down to 11mbps?

post #109 of 2960 Old 08-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Digiblur, you can add WBRZ to that list, as of this am they are multicasting a news channel on 2-2 with thier weather channel on 2-3.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #110 of 2960 Old 08-23-2005, 06:41 PM

Maybe a fluke, but I wasn't able to pull in NBC or FOX OTA HD around 6:00ish. There was no signal whatsoever. Maybe they are working on it now? Anyone else not getting these stations around this time frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Nothing new... haven't noticed 33 or 44 missing from the air yet either.

post #111 of 2960 Old 08-23-2005, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Digiblur, you can add WBRZ to that list, as of this am they are multicasting a news channel on 2-2 with thier weather channel on 2-3.

Yup... I noticed that too. Look at the pictures above and you'll see the stream.
post #112 of 2960 Old 08-23-2005, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolainsola View Post

Maybe a fluke, but I wasn't able to pull in NBC or FOX OTA HD around 6:00ish. There was no signal whatsoever. Maybe they are working on it now? Anyone else not getting these stations around this time frame?

Maybe they took the digital equipment from the BR location tower to the Addis location.
post #113 of 2960 Old 08-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe a fluke, but I wasn't able to pull in NBC or FOX OTA HD around 6:00ish

I would love to be able to answer that.

The "tube" 9-4 had no picture/sound yesterday. That's all I could notice differently.

Speaking of the tube... I wonder how they got all those outdated videos! Pretty neat to see those old crappy things. MTV2 it is NOT. But they do play music all the time.

Still holding to my original guess on when we'll see it done. Oct. 31.

The Truth IS out there!
post #114 of 2960 Old 08-24-2005, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

I would love to be able to answer that.

The "tube" 9-4 had no picture/sound yesterday. That's all I could notice differently.

Speaking of the tube... I wonder how they got all those outdated videos! Pretty neat to see those old crappy things. MTV2 it is NOT. But they do play music all the time.

Still holding to my original guess on when we'll see it done. Oct. 31.

TheTube has been around for a bit. I noticed a few other DT stations have added this to their signal around the US. I guess it's a way to people tune into their signal in hopes of getting them to way their programming/newscast. But really all it does it piss people off due to it degrading the HD signal.

I was comparing WAFB's TheTube signal to the FTA channel on G10R KuBand and WAFB is compressing the $%@#$ out of that signal!
post #115 of 2960 Old 08-24-2005, 09:01 PM

Digiblur, I'm confused about the QAM tuner on basic cable. I saw 2 of your posts that I'm going to extract:

"The only reason you can't get WGMB... But I do pick them up just fine with my QAM tuner on basic cable though so I'm still happy." and

"I use my own homegrown version of a DVR. ... and Cox basic cable on ANT2 for the QAM channels."

HD and basic cable? I've got Cox. I scanned for channels 2 days ago due to power failure and picked up a few digital channels numbered somewhere between 7x-yy, 8x-yy, and 9x-yy. When I tried to look at the HD picture on WVLA earlier tonight, it wouldn't come in until a commercial came on. Saw the commercial, and when the program came back, the screen went blank again. I assume that's because Cox scrambled the HD signal. I've got a QAM tuner in my TV. Apparently, you're getting an HD picture over basic cable. What am I missing?

While I'm at it, is it possible to tune directly to the subchannel if you know what it is (80-19 for example), or can you only get to them if the TV finds them (tune to 80 and hope the TV finds the signal on 19)?

Thanks for the help.
post #116 of 2960 Old 08-24-2005, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrambledBits View Post

Digiblur, I'm confused about the QAM tuner on basic cable. I saw 2 of your posts that I'm going to extract:

"The only reason you can't get WGMB... But I do pick them up just fine with my QAM tuner on basic cable though so I'm still happy." and

"I use my own homegrown version of a DVR. ... and Cox basic cable on ANT2 for the QAM channels."

HD and basic cable? I've got Cox. I scanned for channels 2 days ago due to power failure and picked up a few digital channels numbered somewhere between 7x-yy, 8x-yy, and 9x-yy. When I tried to look at the HD picture on WVLA earlier tonight, it wouldn't come in until a commercial came on. Saw the commercial, and when the program came back, the screen went blank again. I assume that's because Cox scrambled the HD signal. I've got a QAM tuner in my TV. Apparently, you're getting an HD picture over basic cable. What am I missing?

While I'm at it, is it possible to tune directly to the subchannel if you know what it is (80-19 for example), or can you only get to them if the TV finds them (tune to 80 and hope the TV finds the signal on 19)?

Thanks for the help.

They are messing around the PSIP on the QAM clear channels. NBC used to be at 80-19 and PBS was 80-23. They are still located on channel 80 but they are mapped differently. PBS is now 25-1 or 27-1, I don't remember which. I lost NBC altogether on TV's QAM tuner but I know it's still at 80 because I can see it on the MyHD-130 tuner card in my HTPC.

Fox is 44-1, WB is 10-1, CBS is 9-1, ABC is 2-1, etc. There are a few other QAM64 channels in the clear too SoapNet 83-4, etc.

I'm not sure about your specific equipment but usually you have to do a scan and you can't jump straight to a subchannel on TV tuner.

And yes, you can get HD signals on a basic only subscription (channel 2-24). Cox only blocks out 24/25-73ish. Digital carrier channels start at channel 79 and go up to 115 or so. Several of the HD locals are on channel 80, 99, 100, etc.
post #117 of 2960 Old 08-26-2005, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Well last night was interesting. Channel 27-5 (I think that is it, the LPB HD one) had no picture/sound. Channel 2-2 had a Panasonic "replaytv" thingie on it. Rescanned, nothing new showed up. Football is around the corner, and NASCAR gonna end soon so I missed a whole year of that without HD. I can now get WBRZ signal at 100, and with a slight turn can get WAFB at 95. LPB still at a 100 seems it doesn't matter what direction I shoot the antenna at! Love LPB!

Patiently, or unpatiently waiting on FOX/NBC. Oh.. does anyone know if WAFB will ever have 5.1 come through?

The Truth IS out there!
post #118 of 2960 Old 08-26-2005, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

This is geting ridiculous, one could read several things into these delays...any possibility of this being intentional? maybe they are having second thoughts and are waiting to be admonished by the FCC, that way they can stay at a lower power level, since most of thier viewers are on cable anyway. WVLA is technically lafayette's NBC affilliate and is owned by the Galloway's whose buddy Dr. Paul Azar has a CP for channel 50 licensed to New Iberia with an erp of 50kw, which would make a very nicely powered NBC affiliate for this market. The Galloways could then sign an lma and control it along with thier other stations.

post #119 of 2960 Old 08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt WAFB has 5.1 in the plans... I have to love their plan of going to 0.36kw at RF-9. Look at the latest application and look at the exhibit at the bottom, you'll see a projected coverage area. Yeah, right! Maybe with a 100 foot tower at your house. Hey WAFB, WVLA and WGMB will have a 1kw you could have when they go to full power in November '05.

LPB had their PSIP messed up the other night and I also noticed the channel was missing on Cox's QAM channels. But they are also shifting stuff around on their system too.
post #120 of 2960 Old 08-26-2005, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

LPB had their PSIP messed up the other night and I also noticed the channel was missing on Cox's QAM channels. But they are also shifting stuff around on their system too.

The HD encoder died (SDs are fine). Will hopefully be back up Saturday morning.

Also I hear that the much delayed WVLA/WGMB DTV antenna install will happen this weekend.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page