post #1411 of 2956 Old 11-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Do you know if this has been fixed? I need to know since it is Heroes night

I think they fixed it. I didn't notice it on my recording of last week's Heroes ep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 2956 Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geauxjeaux View Post

Well, I "moved" to New Orleans on Friday and the local channels are coming in great in HD. I only changed my service address (or installation address) like you guys suggested. I'm hoping that my buddy, whose addy I used w/his permission, doesn't get any weird mail or phone calls. His wife doesn't really like me anyway, I'd hate to give her another reason why.

How did you do it? Call up DIRECTV and tell them you moved? Do you still get Baton Rouge locals or are you just using your antenna to pick those up?
post #1413 of 2956 Old 11-16-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney View Post

How did you do it? Call up DIRECTV and tell them you moved? Do you still get Baton Rouge locals or are you just using your antenna to pick those up?

Use the antenna to get your BR stuff. Luckily we live in an area where OTA is easy for us.

Here's a thread for some good reading. There's an excellent script about an HOA campground towards the end:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-...lp-moving.html
post #1414 of 2956 Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone been having dropouts with channel 2? For the past few days it drops out for a second or 2 , then comes back in. I am going thru the Dish network vip211 box. I removed the 3 channel 2's from the box and then rescanned them back in, but still the dropouts.Even reset the whole box, no luck. During the music awards last nite it probably dropped out about 6-8 times in 3 hours. Actually it seems to drop out more on 2.1 then the 2 subchannels on 2.
Anyone one else with this issue or is it just me?
Thanks for the help.
post #1415 of 2956 Old 11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispap View Post

Anyone been having dropouts with channel 2? For the past few days it drops out for a second or 2 , then comes back in. I am going thru the Dish network vip211 box. I removed the 3 channel 2's from the box and then rescanned them back in, but still the dropouts.Even reset the whole box, no luck. During the music awards last nite it probably dropped out about 6-8 times in 3 hours. Actually it seems to drop out more on 2.1 then the 2 subchannels on 2.
Anyone one else with this issue or is it just me?
Thanks for the help.

We haven't noticed anything here.
post #1416 of 2956 Old 11-24-2007, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I did some comparing today of WAFB CBS Baton Rouge and WWL CBS New Orleans during the HD football games today. What a disgrace WAFB is! I really thought it would have been better since they shut TheTube off. Fat chance. WAFB was running between 11.5-12.5 megabits. WWL was consistently running 17+ megabits! Now that's some good HD! Nice job WWL, you're doing a better job delivering the LSU games than the LSU hometown WAFB is.

I'm not just going by numbers here either. There's a night and day difference between the two when switching back and forth.

Maybe we can get the HD CBS fans in Baton Rouge to band together and get this corrected by next year's season. Anyone in for starting a website to speak out against WAFB's poor HD? I'll host it...we just have to think of a catchy name.
post #1417 of 2956 Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

We provide Appalling quality FootBall in HD
We Are Falling Behind in HD

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #1418 of 2956 Old 11-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I did some comparing today of WAFB CBS Baton Rouge and WWL CBS New Orleans during the HD football games today. What a disgrace WAFB is! I really thought it would have been better since they shut TheTube off. Fat chance. WAFB was running between 11.5-12.5 megabits. WWL was consistently running 17+ megabits! Now that's some good HD! Nice job WWL, you're doing a better job delivering the LSU games than the LSU hometown WAFB is.

I'm not just going by numbers here either. There's a night and day difference between the two when switching back and forth.

Maybe we can get the HD CBS fans in Baton Rouge to band together and get this corrected by next year's season. Anyone in for starting a website to speak out against WAFB's poor HD? I'll host it...we just have to think of a catchy name.

I'm in. I've written to WAFB a few times and they claim they are maximizing the bandwidth to the main channel. Sure doesn't seem like it to me. I too noticed the difference between WWL and WAFB during the game. It's a disgrace
post #1419 of 2956 Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

" I've written to WAFB a few times and they claim they are maximizing the bandwidth to the main channel."

We're
Actually
Full of
Bullsh**
post #1420 of 2956 Old 11-26-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Just looking to put something up like this older website : www.stophdlite.com

Short and sweet and to the point.

I'm not sure of the legality of things but I don't think we could use WAFB in the name of the website. StopWAFBLite would be out of the question eh?
post #1421 of 2956 Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 AM

I'm on board. I have crappy divx movies that look much better than WAFB's LSU broadcasts.
post #1422 of 2956 Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....I'm not sure of the legality of things but I don't think we could use WAFB in the name of the website. StopWAFBLite would be out of the question eh?

I have no idea of the legalities either. However, a case could be made that the call letters, WAFB, are assigned by the FCC, a governmental agency, and are, therefore, inherently public "domain"? The public owns the airwaves and charters the FCC to manage them, correct? Of course, the webhost might want to look a little deeper than my rantings.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #1423 of 2956 Old 11-28-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just looking to put something up like this older website : www.stophdlite.com

Short and sweet and to the point.

I'm not sure of the legality of things but I don't think we could use WAFB in the name of the website. StopWAFBLite would be out of the question eh?

If not, something like Stopbrhdlite
also StopliteWeaksignalbrhdlite
post #1424 of 2956 Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 AM

We
Are
Foolish
Broadcasters

I think one of the reasons why WAFB has been slow to correct the situation is that at some point someone at the station would have to admit to making a mistake or bad business decision.

I'm afraid that WAFB only qualifies as the second worst destruction of network HD programming in Louisiana. 5.2 KALB Alexandria picked up CBS this past January and "shares" the HD with 5.1 NBC. What's ugly is during a ball game when the NBC peacock logo that doesn't move goes blurry when the network flashes graphics, same thing for CBS.
post #1425 of 2956 Old 11-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Hey guys... I've been sifting thru this board for a while and appreciate all the info. I want to ask a few questions...

1) does anyone have a date on the Baton Rouge HD locals for DirecTv?

I couldn't find anything recent in this thread and the last I heard was an email from Dale Russell that we should have them by the end of the year (back in August I think). An 'install guy' told my Uncle this past weekend that we should have them by January. And of course I can't get any info from DTV.

2) What is the best off air antenna for my house?

I live in Capital Heights (right by Superior Grill) and want something that I can put in my attic. Also, it would be nice to find a place locally to buy it so I can have it for this weekend. Otherwise I may be 'moving' like some of you to NOLA.
post #1426 of 2956 Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrew View Post

Hey guys... I've been sifting thru this board for a while and appreciate all the info. I want to ask a few questions...

I couldn't find anything recent in this thread and the last I heard was an email from Dale Russell that we should have them by the end of the year (back in August I think). An 'install guy' told my Uncle this past weekend that we should have them by January. And of course I can't get any info from DTV.

I live in Capital Heights (right by Superior Grill) and want something that I can put in my attic. Also, it would be nice to find a place locally to buy it so I can have it for this weekend. Otherwise I may be 'moving' like some of you to NOLA.

I've been extremely happy with my Wineguard Silver Sensor. I live out in Prairieville and get all BR stations perfectly. I do have the amplified version of the Silver Sensor though. Not sure if you can buy this locally though.
post #1427 of 2956 Old 11-29-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The silver sensor will probably do just fine for that area. You'll want to move anyways to NO after seeing WAFB's garbage. Not to mention 2 HD locals are better than one.
post #1428 of 2956 Old 12-01-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Checked out the WAFB-HD quality for the LSU game. Hang it up WAFB... crap once again. The other CBS affiliates can get it right but you can't. The big group of us here won't be watching your HD signal today.

Such a shame that the local CBS affiliate of LSU is delivering this garbage to the folks in Baton Rouge. As many of us have complained and complained over and over, yet they don't change it. Shows you they really care eh?
post #1429 of 2956 Old 12-02-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:

The silver sensor will probably do just fine for that area. You'll want to move anyways to NO after seeing WAFB's garbage. Not to mention 2 HD locals are better than one.

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and moved. Everyone at the house was asking why I had nola commercials during the game!!
post #1430 of 2956 Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and moved. Everyone at the house was asking why I had nola commercials during the game!!

Most of the other locals will be about the same quality... but the huge difference is CBS. Enjoy!
post #1431 of 2956 Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Checked out the WAFB-HD quality for the LSU game. Hang it up WAFB... crap once again. The other CBS affiliates can get it right but you can't. The big group of us here won't be watching your HD signal today.

Such a shame that the local CBS affiliate of LSU is delivering this garbage to the folks in Baton Rouge. As many of us have complained and complained over and over, yet they don't change it. Shows you they really care eh?

That's the truth. Also part of their reluctance to change is that they put themselves in the position of having to remove something they've promoted and want to have.

If a station could actually broadcast 2 SD channels with no impact on HD, then 4WWL would have a news rebroadcast on one and weather info on the other.

There are ways that 9WAFB could save face: They could say that in the past few years leading up to the DTV transition they've heard their viewers preferences for HD and to provide maximum PQ for CBS HD they will change their SD blah, blah, blah, etc.......

I did talk to some engineers some time back that told me that WAFB is going to wait until on or about 2/17/09 before completing the final work on the tower that would go from side mounted antennas to top mounted. Several stations got FCC approval for that. That should improve coverage areas of signals.
post #1432 of 2956 Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 AM

I have an HD TV (in an upstairs bedroom) which catches all of the BR channels, plus the New Orleans channels and even Mojo, OTA without any antenna at all. It is simply plugged in regular cable (expanded basic with no digital or HD service). I catch the OTA channels when I select "antenna" rather than "cable".

My other HD TV (downstairs) does not have antenna and is plugged into cable with full HD and digital service. I cannot catch any OTA signals on this TV when I select "antenna".

Why am I able to catch all of those stations on the upstairs tv without an antenna attached? Why can't I catch any of them downstairs without an antenna attached?
post #1433 of 2956 Old 12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomaster View Post

I did talk to some engineers some time back that told me that WAFB is going to wait until on or about 2/17/09 before completing the final work on the tower that would go from side mounted antennas to top mounted. Several stations got FCC approval for that. That should improve coverage areas of signals.

Last time I looked they are staying with the top mounted 46kw rig on their downtown tower. Once analog 9 is shut off they will pull RF 46 off the air and put the digital on RF 9. If I remember right it something like 0.2kw at around 500 meters. Not much of a difference there in coverage area. Lots of folks with those UHF only rigs will be stuck, but you shouldn't have much of those since WBRZ is on 13.
post #1434 of 2956 Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerDSL View Post

I have an HD TV (in an upstairs bedroom) which catches all of the BR channels, plus the New Orleans channels and even Mojo, OTA without any antenna at all. It is simply plugged in regular cable (expanded basic with no digital or HD service). I catch the OTA channels when I select "antenna" rather than "cable".

My other HD TV (downstairs) does not have antenna and is plugged into cable with full HD and digital service. I cannot catch any OTA signals on this TV when I select "antenna".

Why am I able to catch all of those stations on the upstairs tv without an antenna attached? Why can't I catch any of them downstairs without an antenna attached?

You are catching QAM channels via cable. The set probably has a slot for cable card right? Does the downstairs set have a slot for a digital cable card? If so, it's just a matter of hitting scan and finding the QAM channels.
post #1435 of 2956 Old 12-03-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:

You are catching QAM channels via cable. The set probably has a slot for cable card right? Does the downstairs set have a slot for a digital cable card? If so, it's just a matter of hitting scan and finding the QAM channels.

Actually, neither TV has cable card. My upstairs TV connects straight to the wall with a coaxial cable. My downstairs TV is connected via HDMI to a Cox DVR box.
post #1436 of 2956 Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, neither TV has cable card. My upstairs TV connects straight to the wall with a coaxial cable. My downstairs TV is connected via HDMI to a Cox DVR box.

Not cable card...cable card slot. Your TV has a digital tuner picking up non-encrypted digital streams on the cable system.
post #1437 of 2956 Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Not cable card...cable card slot. Your TV has a digital tuner picking up non-encrypted digital streams on the cable system.

Neither TV has a cable card slot either.
post #1438 of 2956 Old 12-04-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Neither TV has a cable card slot either.

Are the NO locals you are talking about in the 120's?
post #1439 of 2956 Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Are the NO locals you are talking about in the 120's?

Yes, I think so. The Cox cable channels go up through the 60s and the other channels all start in the 90s (or so) and go up through the 120s.

Am I only receiving these other channels because the TV is connected to Cox cable? If so, then why can't I receive these same channels on my downstairs TV with has the full Cox HD and digital package?
post #1440 of 2956 Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Yes, I think so. The Cox cable channels go up through the 60s and the other channels all start in the 90s (or so) and go up through the 120s.

Am I only receiving these other channels because the TV is connected to Cox cable? If so, then why can't I receive these same channels on my downstairs TV with has the full Cox HD and digital package?

What you need to do is get a splitter and run one end into the back of your cox HD box and run the other end directly into the tv and use your tv's tuner to pick up the stations
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page