Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 2960 Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

If you have enough signal you should see the 6 HD channels in the clear along with a handful of SD channels. Some are mapped down in the normal analog range like 33-1, 2-1, etc, some are up in the 73-117 range.

sounds like you are referring to OTA, right?

I'm asking what HD channels should we be able to see (if any) over the cable from COX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2960 Old 01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by croussel View Post

I'm asking what HD channels should we be able to see (if any) over the cable from COX.

No, he is referring to Cox qam hd thru basic cable.
Here is the previous post about cox br qam
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15025879
post #1983 of 2960 Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by croussel View Post

Several months ago I asked them what HD channels could we get without the box, and they sent me this, I think I posted this earlier in this thread:

NBC WVLA.......Ch. 3.........93.1
ABC WBRZ.......Ch. 5.......100.1
FOX WGMB......Ch. 6.........99.2
CBS WAFB.......Ch. 7.......100.4
WBRL..............Ch. 10.......98.2
WLPB..............Ch. 12.......93.2
KPBN...............Ch. 13......73.1

That list is incomplete, I was able to pickup more than that but I can't remember all of them now (was on my mom's new HDTV, and she also has the box now). But there are several in the 70's, and several from 100-117. On her TV if 100.1 was entered for example, the TV would go to 2.1, for 93.1 it would go to 33.1. Someone explained that kind of "mapping" previously in this thread. Also, not all are true HD channels.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1984 of 2960 Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Several months ago I asked them what HD channels could we get without the box, and they sent me this, I think I posted this earlier in this thread:

NBC WVLA.......Ch. 3.........93.1
ABC WBRZ.......Ch. 5.......100.1
FOX WGMB......Ch. 6.........99.2
CBS WAFB.......Ch. 7.......100.4
WBRL..............Ch. 10.......98.2
WLPB..............Ch. 12.......93.2
KPBN...............Ch. 13......73.1

That list is incomplete, I was able to pickup more than that but I can't remember all of them now (was on my mom's new HDTV, and she also has the box now). But there are several in the 70's, and several from 100-117. On her TV if 100.1 was entered for example, the TV would go to 2.1, for 93.1 it would go to 33.1. Someone explained that kind of "mapping" previously in this thread. Also, not all are true HD channels.

Check the link to the post above. There are 2 screenshots of the digital cable scan that includes the moves from 98-99 to 116-117 carriers.

And remember...just because it is digital doesn't mean they are HD. A lot of people get confused about this during the digital transition of over the air signals and also digital cable too. Stations were not required to go HD, just required to go digital on their over the air signals.
post #1985 of 2960 Old 01-17-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi, I'll be moving to Denham Springs in the near future and was wondering whether people think I should go with DirectTV or Cox cable?

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #1986 of 2960 Old 01-18-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

Hi, I'll be moving to Denham Springs in the near future and was wondering whether people think I should go with DirectTV or Cox cable?

It all depends on your DVR needs, channels you need, features you want, and cost.
post #1987 of 2960 Old 01-18-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

It all depends on your DVR needs, channels you need, features you want, and cost.

Well I have always had cable, and I guess I was wondering if anyone has ever had trouble with reception with DirectTV. I think I want that more because of NFL Network and Sunday Ticket.

I also don't know if Cox customer service is as bad as Time Warner Cable's is in OH. Because I don't mind paying a little more if it means avoiding crappy service.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #1988 of 2960 Old 01-19-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Well I have always had cable, and I guess I was wondering if anyone has ever had trouble with reception with DirectTV. I think I want that more because of NFL Network and Sunday Ticket.

I also don't know if Cox customer service is as bad as Time Warner Cable's is in OH. Because I don't mind paying a little more if it means avoiding crappy service.

I personally prefer Directv over Cox. I have been a DTV customer for about 10 years and rarely have issues. Only very strong storms will take the service down but its usually no more than 10 - 20 minutes.
post #1989 of 2960 Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the deal with nbc33?? One day the syndicated shows are in hd, the next they are in sd.
Where is fox44 engineer? Maybe he can advise?
post #1990 of 2960 Old 01-19-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are sports buff DirecTV is the answer. Like others said, if the dish is installed correctly it takes a large storm to knock out the signal. A kid jumping on a trampoline won't cut it.
post #1991 of 2960 Old 01-20-2009, 06:04 PM

I'd like to get opinions about dish network vs direct tv. I've heard more bad things about dish's service, but looking at the programming packages, i would rather what dish has to offer. Where I live I'm in the wide open so I won't have any interferance problems. Thanks for your input.

Jake
post #1992 of 2960 Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouJake View Post

I'd like to get opinions about dish network vs direct tv. I've heard more bad things about dish's service, but looking at the programming packages, i would rather what dish has to offer. Where I live I'm in the wide open so I won't have any interferance problems. Thanks for your input.

Jake

As I said if you want sports go with DirecTV. I'm not a sports buff and loved all the excellent reviews on the 722 DVR. The HD only programming packs fit my needs as I don't want a bunch of SD channels I don't watch anyways.

No complaints about Dish Network's service at all here.
post #1993 of 2960 Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 PM

I second Dish Network and its DVRs. I am in my 3rd year of service and not even interested in considering another provider. Plus you get Cox Sports TV in the BR/NOLA areas (not available on Directv).
post #1994 of 2960 Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I was digging around looking at what HD channels Cox had now and noticed they have the Lafayette market locals on their PDF as the HD channels. Wonder what else is messed up on that list.

http://www.cox.com/greaterlouisiana/...geChannels.pdf
post #1995 of 2960 Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmanuel View Post

I second Dish Network and its DVRs. I am in my 3rd year of service and not even interested in considering another provider. Plus you get Cox Sports TV in the BR/NOLA areas (not available on Directv).

Plus you can plug in your antenna and get the ota hd locals, and any other digital channel that your antenna can pick up. With directv you can only receive the ota channels that they have in their database. Read on the new orleans board about the people complaining about still not being able to get 8.2, because directv still hasnt added it to their info.
post #1996 of 2960 Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispap View Post

What is the deal with nbc33?? One day the syndicated shows are in hd, the next they are in sd.
Where is fox44 engineer? Maybe he can advise?

EDIT Just to let everyone know, i received a response to the email i sent nbc33. Here is what they said....

"There are several reasons why this may occur. First of all, there is an
equipment issue with closed captioning in HD with certain programs and
we are required by the FCC to air in CC. Also sometimes, especially
lately, the syndicators have had some weather issues that have created a
problem with the signal transmission (many of our syndicators use a
satellite which transmits through Chicago and other states that have
been plagued with extremely cold and icy weather which means we have to
get the feed by other measures that only allow us to receive an analog
feed.) These problems should be resolved very soon and we apologize for
any inconvenience this may cause."

Michelle C. Harrington
Program Director
WVLA NBC 33, WGMB FOX 44, WBRL CW 21,
KZUP RTN19
post #1997 of 2960 Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:

EDIT Just to let everyone know, i received a response to the email i sent nbc33. Here is what they said....

"There are several reasons why this may occur. First of all, there is an
equipment issue with closed captioning in HD with certain programs and
we are required by the FCC to air in CC. Also sometimes, especially
lately, the syndicators have had some weather issues that have created a
problem with the signal transmission (many of our syndicators use a
satellite which transmits through Chicago and other states that have
been plagued with extremely cold and icy weather which means we have to
get the feed by other measures that only allow us to receive an analog
feed.) These problems should be resolved very soon and we apologize for
any inconvenience this may cause."

Michelle C. Harrington
Program Director
WVLA NBC 33, WGMB FOX 44, WBRL CW 21,
KZUP RTN19

does that included the fox44 channel or just the nbc programs?
post #1998 of 2960 Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino2469 View Post

does that included the fox44 channel or just the nbc programs?

Probably both. Usually when the nbc33 syndicated shows are in hd, so is the fox 44 ones.When sd, both are usually sd.
post #1999 of 2960 Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Got a quick, likely basic question.

I subscribe to Cox Extended Basic here in BR. I don't pay for any digital channels or have a cox box at home. I do use a Window Media Center PC as my DVR setup (and other stuff). If I pop in a digital tuner, will I get the QAM channels on my extended basic subscription?

If so, that totally justifies putting a new tuner card in the box, and likely, a much bigger hard drive to handle the bigger files.
post #2000 of 2960 Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 PM

Not 100% sure, but I believe all you would need is a tv tuner for your pc that picks up QAM channels. If you had a tv with a digital tuner it would already be picking up the non-scrambled QAM channels.

Thanks for the feedback on Dish guys. Seems the people I've talked to locally all had DirecTV and were all bashing on Dish for some reason or another.

Jake
post #2001 of 2960 Old 01-22-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantSloar View Post

Got a quick, likely basic question.

I subscribe to Cox Extended Basic here in BR. I don't pay for any digital channels or have a cox box at home. I do use a Window Media Center PC as my DVR setup (and other stuff). If I pop in a digital tuner, will I get the QAM channels on my extended basic subscription?

If so, that totally justifies putting a new tuner card in the box, and likely, a much bigger hard drive to handle the bigger files.

You'll get the same ones we've been talking about in the last couple of pages on your Cox cable....about 6 HD locals and handful of SD locals.
post #2002 of 2960 Old 01-22-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouJake View Post

Thanks for the feedback on Dish guys. Seems the people I've talked to locally all had DirecTV and were all bashing on Dish for some reason or another.

Jake

That's the way it usually is...if you have DirecTV you have to bash Dish since you don't have it

Granted DirecTV has the HD locals in Baton Rouge but it's just easy to "move" and get HD locals from another market then hook up an antenna to the DVR and now you have 2 sets of HD locals and can record 3 HD network channels at one time.
post #2003 of 2960 Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else in BR noticed how Cox royally screwed up the on-screen program guide? Not only is it a hideous tan & yellow, which I can live with, but you can no longer see what's coming on past 4AM or 4PM the SAME DAY! I tried to see what was coming on Sci-Fi Friday night, so at about 9PM tonight (Thursday) I pressed the appropriate button and I got "NO DATA", then you have to "Press Select" (or OK) and wait about 6-7 freakin' minutes, just to see what's coming on during that short time frame! If you wanted to see what is coming up before 4PM Friday, you have to do all this all over again for another 6-7 minute wait! Then if you wanted to see what is coming on after 4AM Friday night (technically Saturday), yep, you have do this all over again for another 6-7 minute wait!!

It gets even worse: once you exit the program guide, you have to go through all of these steps all over again to check it again!! And still worse, you can no longer check to see when a program is coming on again! It only uses that search for the next several hours and will no longer look several days in the future! This goes far beyond unacceptable, it's intolerable!

God Bless,
-Clint
post #2004 of 2960 Old 01-23-2009, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know the full line of cable boxes (with and without DVR) Cox has available?

Is anyone using one of their boxes other than the DCH3200?
Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #2005 of 2960 Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think anyone will notice here.... I don't recall many digital cable folks here. Mostly OTA, DishNetwork, and DirecTV folks here.
post #2006 of 2960 Old 01-23-2009, 09:04 AM

I have the CM antenna everyone on here recommends, can't remember the model. If I live in Prairieville would I be able to receive the New Orleans OTA channels? And before I worry about this if I can is the CW channel there in HD?
post #2007 of 2960 Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the CM antenna everyone on here recommends, can't remember the model. If I live in Prairieville would I be able to receive the New Orleans OTA channels? And before I worry about this if I can is the CW channel there in HD?

Cw 38 is not hd ota as of now. I think i remember reading that they are supposed to start back in hd, when they flash cut on 2-17-09.
Not sure if you could pick them up in prairieville. Try the antenna, they are broadcasting digitally, but i believe at a lower wattage then that they will be on 2-17-09
post #2008 of 2960 Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Cw 38 is not hd ota as of now. I think i remember reading that they are supposed to start back in hd, when they flash cut on 2-17-09.
Not sure if you could pick them up in prairieville. Try the antenna, they are broadcasting digitally, but i believe at a lower wattage then that they will be on 2-17-09

well I was only going to do it if it was broadcasting HD now. I am just getting impatient waiting on CW21 to go HD either OTA or Directv
post #2009 of 2960 Old 01-23-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well I was only going to do it if it was broadcasting HD now. I am just getting impatient waiting on CW21 to go HD either OTA or Directv

I believe cw21 is going hd when they flashcut on 2-17-09.
post #2010 of 2960 Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 AM

I'm guessing they will move it off of the 44-2 channel since that is a subchannel?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page