post #182 of 2960 Old 10-03-2005, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

Wow. what a few days makes. Now WAFB is pumping out a strong signal! Around 95 for me now, and I never got it above 75 before. Smokin!

Oct. 31... FOX and NBC eh?

All signal meters are different but before I took down my antenna for Rita I was getting around 60 percent. After I put my antenna back up and eye balled the pointing I had around 87% for WAFB. Never had that high of a signal.

Can't wait to see WVLA and WGMB via OTA. Last time I checked I couldn't get WVLA 's QAM channel on Cox to scan in on my TV, had to manually add it to my HTPC and watch it that way.
post #183 of 2960 Old 10-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The message from WVLA had said it would be finished on Oct.13th.

WAFB is back down to the mid 40's for me again. Must have been one of those weird weather days to get a 93 signal or whatever I had. Evan at 44 it's fine.

Counting the days to see NASCAR in HD! Along with NFL, and I bet on Monday nights, "LAS VEGAS" is gonna be smokin hot

The Truth IS out there!
post #184 of 2960 Old 10-03-2005, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The message from WVLA had said it would be finished on Oct.13th.

WAFB is back down to the mid 40's for me again. Must have been one of those weird weather days to get a 93 signal or whatever I had. Evan at 44 it's fine.

Counting the days to see NASCAR in HD! Along with NFL, and I bet on Monday nights, "LAS VEGAS" is gonna be smokin hot

I'll have to check the signal at the house again.

I'm not too impressed with the NASCAR on NBC. Compression artifacts all over the place. Not sure if that is a NBC thing or WVLA thing. Yesterdays race wasn't even in HD until halfway through. NASCAR is awesome when it's on Fox(when in HD) and TNT-HD. The best quality NASCAR I've seen is on HDNet, breathtaking HD.
post #185 of 2960 Old 10-03-2005, 01:41 PM

Liked: 10
I'm a cox expanded basic cable subscriber here in Baton Rouge. I just got a high def tv (sony 30ks955) and plugged it into the cable. It picked up the QAM encoded HD channels plus some others. I get cbs, abc, lpb, fox, wb, and a couple digital stations. These stations show up as 2.1, 9.1, 10.2, 27.5, 44.1, like the OTA channel numbers. I am not, however getting nbc (wvla). I called cox about it and they basically said I was lying about being able to receive the channels I do (it was a very frustrating call), so I couldn't get any info from them about nbc. Also, the wvla site has no information. This forum has lots of info about the OTA stations, but does anyone have any info on the QAM stations?

Thanks
post #186 of 2960 Old 10-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

digiblur,

I agree with NASCAR on NBC. I just wish FOX would do them all, but with them having the NFL that won't work. The coverage and commentators on NBC blows. Bummer about the PQ. I hope with this "upgrade", maybe those things will work out.

ONLY 10 days left. We'll see how that works out.

When I had D*tv, HDNET was stunning!! Maybe we can get Mark Cuban to snag SUPERCROSS and put that on HDNET! Then I'd subscribe to dish in a heartbeat!

The Truth IS out there!
post #187 of 2960 Old 10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricha5 View Post

I'm a cox expanded basic cable subscriber here in Baton Rouge. I just got a high def tv (sony 30ks955) and plugged it into the cable. It picked up the QAM encoded HD channels plus some others. I get cbs, abc, lpb, fox, wb, and a couple digital stations. These stations show up as 2.1, 9.1, 10.2, 27.5, 44.1, like the OTA channel numbers. I am not, however getting nbc (wvla). I called cox about it and they basically said I was lying about being able to receive the channels I do (it was a very frustrating call), so I couldn't get any info from them about nbc. Also, the wvla site has no information. This forum has lots of info about the OTA stations, but does anyone have any info on the QAM stations?

Thanks

Yup... they will even try to sell you a cable card to subscribe to the free channels. LOL

I suspect something is wrong with the PSIP on channel 80. I'll try to check it out tonight and report back. My Hitachi TV won't scan in NBC either so, don't worry, it's not your problem.
post #188 of 2960 Old 10-03-2005, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Chalk one up for WVLA again... Surface is supposed to be in HD but instead they are showing the SD version. Looks great on the 57 inch... black bars on the sides and black bars on the top and bottom.

Click... maybe ABC has something to watch in HD tonight?
post #189 of 2960 Old 10-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Lucky for you. Analog for WVLA was off air, and still was as of this morning. Didn't get to see anything I liked on NBC last night. No LAS VEGAS fix!

Football was great as usual in HD on ABC.

The Truth IS out there!
post #190 of 2960 Old 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM

I am new to the HD world via Direct. I am getting strong signals on my OTA for abc, cbs, and lpb. I have 0% on nbc (wvla) and fox (wgmb). I have been reading the previous posts. Is there anything new to report on these stations for broadcasting in HD via the OTA??
post #191 of 2960 Old 10-05-2005, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradj View Post

I am new to the HD world via Direct. I am getting strong signals on my OTA for abc, cbs, and lpb. I have 0% on nbc (wvla) and fox (wgmb). I have been reading the previous posts. Is there anything new to report on these stations for broadcasting in HD via the OTA??

They say it will be done by oct. 13th.
post #192 of 2960 Old 10-05-2005, 05:28 AM

did anyone on here that has D* lose their local channels last night till 8:30? I get the Baton Rouge Locals. My Wife was watching Commander and Chief in our Living Room TV with the OTA Channels so I went to the bedroom to watch the baseball game will my DVR was recording the Office and My name is Earl. I could not watch anything until 8:30. It could have been out longer but I noticed it at 8 when I went in there. Also the locals were not working on any of my other receivers.
post #193 of 2960 Old 10-05-2005, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwashguy View Post

did anyone on here that has D* lose their local channels last night till 8:30? I get the Baton Rouge Locals. My Wife was watching Commander and Chief in our Living Room TV with the OTA Channels so I went to the bedroom to watch the baseball game will my DVR was recording the Office and My name is Earl. I could not watch anything until 8:30. It could have been out longer but I noticed it at 8 when I went in there. Also the locals were not working on any of my other receivers.

Did you call D*?

You probably won't find many people here with the locals on D* here, as most of are watching the locals via digital OTA signals.
post #194 of 2960 Old 10-05-2005, 06:43 AM

yeah, i tried to call them but their phones were all jacked up. it was either busy or nothing happen after I dialed the number.
post #195 of 2960 Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 AM

I talked to someone this morning at WGMB who told me that the HD would be broadcasting OTA within the week. Same thing for WVLA since they have the same ownership.
post #196 of 2960 Old 10-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting. Since they are broadcasting the 13th, but I'm all up for something ahead of schedule!!

BTW. I looked at channel 19 on monday for the simulcast, but it wasn't on. Last night, NBC simulcast on Channel 19, weird.

The Truth IS out there!
post #197 of 2960 Old 10-05-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradj View Post

I talked to someone this morning at WGMB who told me that the HD would be broadcasting OTA within the week. Same thing for WVLA since they have the same ownership.

I sure as hell hope so. NFL football isn't worth watching unless it's in HD. And I want the MLB playoffs in HD.
post #198 of 2960 Old 10-05-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwashguy View Post

I wasn't watching, but I know two other people who had issues. It wasn't just you.
post #199 of 2960 Old 10-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Channel 33 (Analog) back on air as of this-am.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #200 of 2960 Old 10-06-2005, 12:00 PM

I am so glad I found this forum, I thought I was disfunctional for not being able to get the wvla and wgmb locals in HD OTA.

Does anyone know if I can get the locals in HD through the basic Cox cable service (channels 1-22)? I called them and they said I needed an HD box with the expanded package. Is this true? I was wondering if my DTV HD Tuner would pick up the locals in HD without the Cox cable box and expanded service.
post #201 of 2960 Old 10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

If your HD tuner has QAM capabilities, you should be able to get the locals in HD with basic cable.

The Truth IS out there!
post #202 of 2960 Old 10-06-2005, 02:04 PM

Quote:

If your HD tuner has QAM capabilities, you should be able to get the locals in HD with basic cable.

This may be a stupid question, but what is QAM? Do the QAM signals come on the same stations that the OTA digital signals come in on? For instance, WGMB is on 45.1. Also, on digital cable those channels are in the 700s. If i have a filter that prevents me from getting cable past channel 22, would I still get that?

Thanks in advance.

edit: i just found out my directv and pretty much any directv HD tuner is not QAM compatible.
post #203 of 2960 Old 10-07-2005, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncriley View Post

I am so glad I found this forum, I thought I was disfunctional for not being able to get the wvla and wgmb locals in HD OTA.

Does anyone know if I can get the locals in HD through the basic Cox cable service (channels 1-22)? I called them and they said I needed an HD box with the expanded package. Is this true? I was wondering if my DTV HD Tuner would pick up the locals in HD without the Cox cable box and expanded service.

A QAM set top box, TV, or MyHD-130 card, can receive the HD channels from Cox just fine. You'll get NBC, PBS HD, ABC, CBS, FOX, and WB.
post #204 of 2960 Old 10-07-2005, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncriley View Post

This may be a stupid question, but what is QAM? Do the QAM signals come on the same stations that the OTA digital signals come in on? For instance, WGMB is on 45.1. Also, on digital cable those channels are in the 700s. If i have a filter that prevents me from getting cable past channel 22, would I still get that?

Thanks in advance.

edit: i just found out my directv and pretty much any directv HD tuner is not QAM compatible.

The 700's you are seeing are simply what Cox is mapping the channels to. They can make the channel numbers just about any number they want. The HD channels are actually in the 80's and 90's on the RF chart. If I remember right, PBS and NBC both share channel 80, in a QAM256 modulation scheme of course.
post #205 of 2960 Old 10-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, as of 6:57pm local time receiving WVLA DT CH 34 In Lafayette..It is a very weak signal registering 20-to 30 percent on my signal strength meter (no picture or sound), can anyone in BR confirm this?

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #206 of 2960 Old 10-07-2005, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Ok, as of 6:57pm local time receiving WVLA DT CH 34 In Lafayette..It is a very weak signal registering 20-to 30 percent on my signal strength meter (no picture or sound), can anyone in BR confirm this?

Channel 34 (wvla dt) came up at 13 percent strength for me here in BR. Let's just hope they are working out the kinks.
post #207 of 2960 Old 10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I did some scanning of the QAM channels. Here's the reason why QAM tuners don't scan in WVLA anymore, you'll see the video stream but the mapping for it is missing. Compare it to the stream for WBRZ and WAFB.

That'll be a fun one to get Cox to fix.....
post #208 of 2960 Old 10-07-2005, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

34 showing 0% as always as of 11:30pm 10/7
post #209 of 2960 Old 10-08-2005, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Digiblur, It went off air again last night, right now CH 34 & 45 are back on air at what looks to be very low power/testing mode, still no picture or sound. Could today be the day?

post #210 of 2960 Old 10-08-2005, 05:41 AM

Quote:

Digiblur, It went off air again last night, right now CH 34 & 45 are back on air at what looks to be very low power/testing mode, still no picture or sound. Could today be the day?

45 (wgmb dt) is up and working at 60-75 percent signal strength this morning. It's not yet where wafb and wbrz are at, but it looks like we are getting there. If this is it, I am going to be upset. Some of you with bigger antennas may not have any issues, but my signal breaks up every minute or 2. I will assume they are still working on it. 34 is out.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page