post #451 of 8712 Old 08-30-2005, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenA View Post

I have both D* and CV iO. I don't have the Cablevision HD PVR, but I have the HD-TiVo and I agree with everything Dan said. I have FIOS for internet access, so I'm even more blazing with 5Mbps and Vonage phone service. Both are cheaper than Cablevisions packages and I got to keep my old number with Vonage. You can't do that with Cablevision. Cable's HD channels are slightly better than D*, but since I have the HD-TiVo, I stick with D* or OTA for HD. The only HD channels I even watch on iO (and the only reason I keep iO) are MSG-HD and FSNY-HD. Can't wait for "a la carte."

Same here and when Fios is available in my area I'm dropping their internet cable. Optimum Voice isn't bad and is atleast saving me some money on the IO bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8712 Old 09-02-2005, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have both D* and CV iO. I don't have the Cablevision HD PVR, but I have the HD-TiVo and I agree with everything Dan said. I have FIOS for internet access, so I'm even more blazing with 5Mbps and Vonage phone service. Both are cheaper than Cablevisions packages and I got to keep my old number with Vonage. You can't do that with Cablevision. Cable's HD channels are slightly better than D*, but since I have the HD-TiVo, I stick with D* or OTA for HD. The only HD channels I even watch on iO (and the only reason I keep iO) are MSG-HD and FSNY-HD. Can't wait for "a la carte."

If you have iO and Optimum Online with Cablevision, Optimum Voice is the way to go. CV has upgraded the OV system significantly recently:
1) You can keep your old number (porting).
2) Call waiting with caller ID plus many other features.
3) Net cost $15 month ($34-$20 triple play discount).
4) Works well with cable modem download speed.

Dennis

Dennis
post #453 of 8712 Old 09-04-2005, 02:08 PM

I noticed cablevision now has a package in the 400 range called CSTV all access does anyone know what this is. I checked the CSTV web site and could only found a broadband audio package of College football games. No info on it anywhere on the cablevision website also. I'm curious if they will carry the main CSTV channel also or atleast include it in the package like they do with NBATV and League pass.
post #454 of 8712 Old 09-04-2005, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

CSTV all access carries i believe all the regular cstv games. The online all access carries extra games with live video as well so the all access cable package carries all the extra games that CSTV produces. I can't believe CVC actually added this. They are usually last to add any sort of sports package and this just became available this past weekend.
post #455 of 8712 Old 09-04-2005, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have verizons base fios package with 5mb down, then you are slower then cablevisions broadband for sure. They avg 7-8 down and most get 9+ down (like me).

BOYCOTT BEST BUY IN WEST PATERSON, NJ !!!!
post #456 of 8712 Old 09-06-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboy View Post

If you have verizons base fios package with 5mb down, then you are slower then cablevisions broadband for sure. They avg 7-8 down and most get 9+ down (like me).

Cablevision is shared bandwidth. I measured mine many times and I only got about 2mb down. With Fios, I get 5mb down. Its also cheaper. If I wanted, I can spend a few extra $$ a month and get 15mb down, but its overkill for what I do.

»ken«
post #457 of 8712 Old 09-06-2005, 05:53 PM
njt

Anybody know what hd dvr/stb I can expect from Cablevision of NJ these days? Looking at setting up installation next week and wondering if they have hdmi out?
post #458 of 8712 Old 09-07-2005, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
The only DVR Cablevision has ever used is the SA8300 and the HD version does have HDMI.
post #459 of 8712 Old 09-07-2005, 08:30 AM

I just got a new Samsung 6168 and the manual does not identify the Scientific Atlantic Cable Box code that will allow the Samsung remote to operate it. Any Samsung owners out there have this working?
post #460 of 8712 Old 09-07-2005, 10:13 AM

I just moved to Hoboken so I had to switch from Comcast to Cablevision and I really dont like it so far!!!! The on screen guide for Cablevision is horrible, maybe I'm stupid but I dont think there is a way to find out all the different times a show comes on. And you can search for programs, but it'll only tell you the next time it is on, not a complete list of times and channels when its on. This stinks because I used to look up movies and see if they were going to be on one of the HD channels so I could record them. And for some reason the HD programming doesn't look as good as when I had Comcast. I'm using the same TV and everything. I wish Comcast offered cable where I live because I would definitely go back to them.
post #461 of 8712 Old 09-07-2005, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion5289 View Post

I just moved to Hoboken so I had to switch from Comcast to Cablevision and I really dont like it so far!!!! The on screen guide for Cablevision is horrible, maybe I'm stupid but I dont think there is a way to find out all the different times a show comes on. And you can search for programs, but it'll only tell you the next time it is on, not a complete list of times and channels when its on. This stinks because I used to look up movies and see if they were going to be on one of the HD channels so I could record them. And for some reason the HD programming doesn't look as good as when I had Comcast. I'm using the same TV and everything. I wish Comcast offered cable where I live because I would definitely go back to them.

Can't comment on the other stuff but in regards to the quality of the HD programming, I would venture a guess that your SA box is not optimally configured. Also, how were you connected while with Comcast and how are you now connected, i.e., component cables, DVI/HDMI, etc.
post #462 of 8712 Old 09-07-2005, 11:14 AM

I'm using the same component cables that I was using before with Comcast. I think its an issue with Cablevision because some HD channels look great but some are bad. For example, last night I was watching a little bit of the Yankees game and it looked amazing, but some of the other channels looked crappy. I remember almost all of the HD stuff from Comcast looked great. I know that different shows look better or worse then others, but my first impression is that Cablevision's HD isn't as good as Comcast. What else can I do to optimally configure the SA box?
post #463 of 8712 Old 09-07-2005, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I use Cablevision on Long Island. I have two of the SA8300HD units. Overall, they are OK. I agree with you that the guide is not very good. You cannot search it and it only goes out for 7 days. When you display the shows by title, it only shows one day at a time. Very clumsy.

The HD channels are very nice. They have 18 channels and they seem to want to add more as they do conversions of analog to digital. They should get rid of the interactive stuff and use the bandwidth for more HD channels.

Dennis

Dennis
post #464 of 8712 Old 09-07-2005, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using the same component cables that I was using before with Comcast. I think its an issue with Cablevision because some HD channels look great but some are bad. For example, last night I was watching a little bit of the Yankees game and it looked amazing, but some of the other channels looked crappy. I remember almost all of the HD stuff from Comcast looked great. I know that different shows look better or worse then others, but my first impression is that Cablevision's HD isn't as good as Comcast. What else can I do to optimally configure the SA box?

I have found Cablevisions PQ on HD material to generally be very good. As you have already indicated, it is also very much coupled to the quality of the source material so I have come across some things that don't look as good or just look like upconverted SD. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with Cablevision; AFAIK, they don't screw around with bitrate, etc. like some others do resulting in loss of PQ.

The configuration settings I was referring to was the format which the box is outputting to your display. I know that the standard install by Cablevision simply leaves the box converting everything to 1080i. If you go through the advanced setup routine (the manual describes it in detail, I can't recall offhand all the particulars), you can specify to the box which resolutions your display is capable of handling and then either pick one that might be better suited to your display's native resolution/capabilities, or opt to have the box pass the native resolution through to your display, allowing your display to do the conversions. I have mine set to pass the native resolution to my set and find that to give me optimal performance across the board on both SD and HD material.
post #465 of 8712 Old 09-07-2005, 01:07 PM

Search the Plasma forum, I've detailed the above procedure in several posts.
post #466 of 8712 Old 09-08-2005, 07:55 AM

Does anyone know the QAM channel mapping for WB11-HD? I've done a number of scans on my Samsung SIRT-451 and I just can't seem to find it. This is the town of Brookhaven area.

Thanks.
post #467 of 8712 Old 09-08-2005, 08:12 AM

I went into the advanced set up and I have it displaying non-HD stuff in 480P so I can use the stretch feature of my TV. I also agree that the guide is very clumsy, its so stupid how you can't see the future times when a show is going to come on. Last night I taped "Ray" on HBOHD and it looked really good so like you were saying it probably is mostly due to the source material and the channel. I just miss Comcast, I really liked it.
post #468 of 8712 Old 09-09-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruidh View Post

The TVGuide data is not a cablecard issue. The TV (as well as my Sony HDD500 HD DVR) gets its guide data from data coded in the analog signal on WNET 13. For some technical reason (or perhaps for some business reason) Cablevision strips out this data when it sends out the channel 13 feed.

In my case, I had to add an external antenna to my PVR to get the guide data. If you have a seperate antenna input, you migh try adding a cheap antenna. Th picture dosn't have to be very good for the unit to pull the guide data.

... My exact problem with my new Sammy 6168.
I dont understand how the ota channel 13 could know to send me the appropriate tvguide info for cablevision no matter which input the ota antenna is connected to. I'm assuming you do mean an ota antenna connected to the 8300hd. This sure is convoluted (headscratch).
Clearly they strip out the signal because they want you to use their guide and buy on demand. True monopoly activity.

Knowledge+Truth=Consumer Power
post #469 of 8712 Old 09-10-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:

The TVGuide data is not a cablecard issue. The TV (as well as my Sony HDD500 HD DVR) gets its guide data from data coded in the analog signal on WNET 13. For some technical reason (or perhaps for some business reason) Cablevision strips out this data when it sends out the channel 13 feed.

In my case, I had to add an external antenna to my PVR to get the guide data. If you have a seperate antenna input, you migh try adding a cheap antenna. Th picture dosn't have to be very good for the unit to pull the guide data.

Well this is somehat related to the CableCard and Cablevisions conversion to digital transmission. Current TVGOS implemenations in TVs and DVRs can only decode TVGOS sent on analog transmissions. In the NY area, WNET 13 carries the TVGOS information on their analog signal. Cablevision still sends WNET as an analog channel but also sends a digital version of WNET 13. The digital version can't technically carry TVGOS, Cablevsion is not purposely stripping it. So, if you split you cable and hook it to a TV or DVR that has both analog and digital inputs, you'll actually be able to receive both the analog and digital WNET. The analog will be on channel 13 and if you have TV Guide everything is hunky-dory.

The trouble begins when you insert a CableCard or cable box in the mix. The cable box will only receive the digital version of WNET so if you try to get the TVGOS info from one of its outputs your out of luck. Now if your device has an analog input, you can split the cable coax BEFORE the cable box and attach one side to the cable box and one to the analog input on your device. You should now still be able to get the TVGOS info. A CableCard makes things even trickier. Just like the Cable box, the CableCard prefers the digital version of WNET and doesn't "tell" the device that an analog version is still available. So now depending on your devices implementation, if you keep the cable split on your analog and digital connections, you may still get the TVGOS or you may not. From what I've gathered here, the new Sony DVRs still work as do the Toshiba TVs with the latest firmware. Sharp TVs (including mine) don't work.

The real solution is for Cablevision to inject the TVGOS information themselves onto one of the remaining analog only stations.
post #470 of 8712 Old 09-12-2005, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post

Well this is somehat related to the CableCard and Cablevisions conversion to digital transmission. Current TVGOS implemenations in TVs and DVRs can only decode TVGOS sent on analog transmissions. In the NY area, WNET 13 carries the TVGOS information on their analog signal. Cablevision still sends WNET as an analog channel but also sends a digital version of WNET 13. The digital version can't technically carry TVGOS, Cablevsion is not purposely stripping it. So, if you split you cable and hook it to a TV or DVR that has both analog and digital inputs, you'll actually be able to receive both the analog and digital WNET. The analog will be on channel 13 and if you have TV Guide everything is hunky-dory.

I'm sorry. This is demonstrably incorrect. The analog channel 13 on the Cablevision system, with or without a cable card in the device, does not transmit the guide data.

Quote:

The trouble begins when you insert a CableCard or cable box in the mix. The cable box will only receive the digital version of WNET so if you try to get the TVGOS info from one of its outputs your out of luck.

This is also incorrect. With my Sony DVR, I can tune both the analog version of 13 and the digital version of 13. The analog 13 does not carry the TVGOS data once it has gone through the Cablevision system.

Quote:

Now if your device has an analog input, you can split the cable coax BEFORE the cable box and attach one side to the cable box and one to the analog input on your device. You should now still be able to get the TVGOS info.

Sorry. This does not work. This is how I have been set up since day 1 even before I got the Cablecard installed.

Quote:

A CableCard makes things even trickier. Just like the Cable box, the CableCard prefers the digital version of WNET and doesn't "tell" the device that an analog version is still available. So now depending on your devices implementation, if you keep the cable split on your analog and digital connections, you may still get the TVGOS or you may not. From what I've gathered here, the new Sony DVRs still work as do the Toshiba TVs with the latest firmware. Sharp TVs (including mine) don't work.

You seem to be of the misapprehension that there are seperate digital and analog inputs. On my Sony DVR, there is a cable and an antenna input. The cable input can be tuned to analog channels in their customary frequencies and unencryoted QAM channels. With a Cablecard installed, some channels are remapped and encrypted chyanells can be tuned as well (in your service plan includes them). The analog channels remain where they were and are tuned as usual. The seperate antenna input can also tune analog (NTSC) and HD (ATSC) signals.

Quote:

The real solution is for Cablevision to inject the TVGOS information themselves onto one of the remaining analog only stations.

I have no doubt that the solution requires some action on the part of Cablevision.

An alternate solution for some people is to use an antenna input as well as a cable input if that is an option.
post #471 of 8712 Old 09-12-2005, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNY View Post

I dont understand how the ota channel 13 could know to send me the appropriate tvguide info for cablevision no matter which input the ota antenna is connected to.

I believe that the ota guide sends all of the guide data for the entire market. When you set up your TVGOS, you select which system you are using and TVGOS remaps the raw data so that it looks like cablevision only data.

Quote:

I'm assuming you do mean an ota antenna connected to the 8300hd. This sure is convoluted (headscratch). Clearly they strip out the signal because they want you to use their guide and buy on demand. True monopoly activity.

I have a Sony HDD500, not an SA 8300HD.

It may not be an intentional stripping, but merely a consquence of their system design.
post #472 of 8712 Old 09-12-2005, 05:07 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry. This is demonstrably incorrect. The analog channel 13 on the Cablevision system, with or without a cable card in the device, does not transmit the guide data.

Actually, your statement is the incorrect one. If I remove the CableCard from my Sharp TV which is only connected to the CV cable (split to the analog and digital cable inputs), my TV Guide works just fine. It's certainly not getting the data through magic.

Quote:

This is also incorrect. With my Sony DVR, I can tune both the analog version of 13 and the digital version of 13. The analog 13 does not carry the TVGOS data once it has gone through the Cablevision system.

I can't speak for the Sony DVR, I don't have one. But it's not clear how you arrived at your TVGOS conclusion.

Quote:

You seem to be of the misapprehension that there are seperate digital and analog inputs. On my Sony DVR, there is a cable and an antenna input. The cable input can be tuned to analog channels in their customary frequencies and unencryoted QAM channels. With a Cablecard installed, some channels are remapped and encrypted chyanells can be tuned as well (in your service plan includes them). The analog channels remain where they were and are tuned as usual. The seperate antenna input can also tune analog (NTSC) and HD (ATSC) signals.

The Sharp TV has THREE coax cable inputs:

digital OTA: for ATSC channels only

analog: either antenna (for conventional NTSC broadcasts) or analog cable

digital cable: for QAM cable reception.

I have my cv cable split and attached to the analog and digital cable connections. You can't draw conclusions based on only your device.

Quote:

I have no doubt that the solution requires some action on the part of Cablevision.

This is the one statement I absolutely, completely agree with. Come on Cablevision. FIX THIS!

Jeff
post #473 of 8712 Old 09-13-2005, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski65 View Post

Does anyone know the QAM channel mapping for WB11-HD? I've done a number of scans on my Samsung SIRT-451 and I just can't seem to find it. This is the town of Brookhaven area.

Thanks.

I get WB11-HD on channel 110.1
I'm in Amityville, I believe I'm on the Woodbury system. I do not use a cablecard and I do not subscribe to IO. It would be nice if cablevision would publish a channel guide on their website but they will continue to lie & deceive in order to try & get you to sign up for the IO package.

Dave
post #474 of 8712 Old 09-14-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswenson View Post

I get WB11-HD on channel 110.1
I'm in Amityville, I believe I'm on the Woodbury system. I do not use a cablecard and I do not subscribe to IO. It would be nice if cablevision would publish a channel guide on their website but they will continue to lie & deceive in order to try & get you to sign up for the IO package.

Dave

On the Brookhaven system. I get nothing at all on 110.1

I'm hoping it's a signal issue. All of the MSG channels in the 107 range come in very pixelated.
Maybe I have a bad cable or splitter somewhere.....
post #475 of 8712 Old 09-14-2005, 04:23 PM

Hi,
just wondering... since I haven't found a forum for cable service in North Jersey, and NYC and NNJ are pretty much served by the same company. I wonder if any of you guys live in NNJ, have the regular Cablevision (not IO) and could share some insights about:
1. Using the TVGuide feature in your TV sets
2. Possibly using a cablecard.
post #476 of 8712 Old 09-15-2005, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post

Actually, your statement is the incorrect one. If I remove the CableCard from my Sharp TV which is only connected to the CV cable (split to the analog and digital cable inputs), my TV Guide works just fine. It's certainly not getting the data through magic.

Yours is the only report I've seen of anyone being able to get TVGOS data through a Cablevision system. The idea of splitting the input and sending it to two imputs might certainly be worth trying by someone who hasn't been able to get the guide data. But I'd really like to see someone confirm your results.
post #477 of 8712 Old 09-18-2005, 08:02 AM
njt

I moved to a new apartment last week, but couldn't arrange a Cablevision install until this Tuesday. In the meantime I have been using the cable from the wall and watching unscrambled content.

My question is this. Will my current (bizzaro world) channel designations change once I get the stb/dvr from CV? When flipping through upper channels to find dig or hd content, I am seeing channels like C83.101, C1.702, etc. I see others referring to these channels so I'm concerned that this just comes with the territory. Ideally I would like whole number channels only (and not to have to flip through 6 incarnations of the same channel when surfing around.

I'm hoping that the stb will address these two "issues".
post #478 of 8712 Old 09-18-2005, 08:47 AM

I am an NJ Cablevision subscriber and have my Samsung 6168 connected via a cable card. I do not get any channel Names (WCBS, WNBC, WABC, etc.) displayed on the TV when changing channels. It simply displays the channel number and source (HD or SD). If I removed the cablecard and let the TV "autoprogram" the Cablevision channels, the internal tuner then displays the station names. Is anybody else experiencing this problem? I'm trying to figure out if the cablecard is not passing the info to the internal tuner when the cablecard is used, or if my TV tuner has some problems working with the cablecard.

Also wondering what PQ others are getting with their SD channels when viewed on an HDTV. I've seen several instances where an analog feed of a channel is BETTER than the digital for the same channel on my Samsung. Thanks!
post #479 of 8712 Old 09-18-2005, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
NJT. usually its setup this way with Cablevison here on Long Island..

Analog stations: 1-99
Digital stations : 100-699
Hi-Definition : 700-780
Digital Music: 801-845

hope this helps you..

post #480 of 8712 Old 09-18-2005, 09:04 AM

do you guys (NJ cablevision users) know if one can pick up the PBS HD signal without having to subscribe to their IO Package?
My guess is not, but Cablevision's FAQ states that in order to receive the HD version of a channel, it's enough to be subscribed to whichever package provides the non-HD signal...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page