New York, NY - Cablevision - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 8712 Old 10-17-2005, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another week and another blackout. I hope ONL does not use the same lame excuse as least week that it's a tech problem in the response to subscribers complaining that the game is not on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8712 Old 10-19-2005, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
will i be able to recieve qam network channels through my fusion5 gold card without using the cablevision stb? basically just go straight from the wall into my fusion card using a splitter. will that work?
post #543 of 8712 Old 10-19-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldari View Post

Please let me know if the cable card will show the channels on their regular channels ? Note I have a Samsung HLR6167W. Will the guide work if I split it into the cable card and the regular cable input?

Can someone please answer, I have it scheduled to be installed this weekend
post #544 of 8712 Old 10-19-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongo-jee View Post

will i be able to recieve qam network channels through my fusion5 gold card without using the cablevision stb? basically just go straight from the wall into my fusion card using a splitter. will that work?

Yes you can. I have been doing that for about three months. However, the only HD signals that I am able to get are the standard in-the-clear channels, i.e. 2-13 when broadcasting in hi def. I was able to get ESPN-HD for a short while on 1171 but that stopped working over the weekend for some reason. Perhaps CV had a free preview of that channel for that time period. BTW, the picture quality on the HD channels is excellent. I should add that I am using a signal booster to increase the signal levels to over 90% to ensure the quality.

My further question to this forum is if I can use the CV HD-stb to get the HD channels on my PC through the Fusion QAM tuner that I would get if I were to plug that stb in to a full-fledged HDTV? In that scenario, I would be able to get the encrypted channels, such as HBO-HD, ESPN-HD, etc.; those that are on my I/O silver package on the analog TV.

I am tempted to just "waste" the $5 monthly rental and give it a try, but it would be nice to know if indeed it is doable.

TIA
post #545 of 8712 Old 10-20-2005, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doromo View Post

I should add that I am using a signal booster to increase the signal levels to over 90% to ensure the quality.
TIA

Be careful with those signal boosters. When subscribed to another provider my splitter had weakend the signal but a 10db booster then made the signal too strong (graininess and over-saturated color) even though the signal level did not go beyond 100%. If using a splitter, be sure it is a hybrid-type (recommended by Cablevision) which looks the same as others but prevents signal loss.
post #546 of 8712 Old 10-20-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Yes you can. I have been doing that for about three months. However, the only HD signals that I am able to get are the standard in-the-clear channels, i.e. 2-13 when broadcasting in hi def. I was able to get ESPN-HD for a short while on 1171 but that stopped working over the weekend for some reason. Perhaps CV had a free preview of that channel for that time period. BTW, the picture quality on the HD channels is excellent. I should add that I am using a signal booster to increase the signal levels to over 90% to ensure the quality.

My further question to this forum is if I can use the CV HD-stb to get the HD channels on my PC through the Fusion QAM tuner that I would get if I were to plug that stb in to a full-fledged HDTV? In that scenario, I would be able to get the encrypted channels, such as HBO-HD, ESPN-HD, etc.; those that are on my I/O silver package on the analog TV.

I am tempted to just "waste" the $5 monthly rental and give it a try, but it would be nice to know if indeed it is doable.

TIA

ah thats great news to hear. so you basically have it running straight from the wall to the fusion card? also which software are you using to record? i know the fusion software is the only one that can record qam, but ive read mixed reviews of the new fusion 3.11 software. is that the version your using or an older version?

see i was figuring to split the cable coming from the wall with one going straight to my fusion card by passing the stb. and one going to the stb then from the stb to record regular digital or analog cable using my pvr.
post #547 of 8712 Old 10-20-2005, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Sports Media and Business
Now You Almost See Hockey. Now You Don't

By Richard Sandomir The New York Times October 20, 2005

If you're a Cablevision or a DISH Network satellite subscriber who looked forward to watching National Hockey League games on OLN, you've fallen victim to an anti-fan policy that boggles the mind.

The games you've expected to see since last Monday have been replaced by other programs on OLN - which, until making its deal with the N.H.L., was known largely for carrying the Tour de France - because its parent company, Comcast, wants to boost the number of its own subscribers.

It is a fine aspiration for OLN, which is in about 65 million cable homes, to want to broaden its availability, especially since it reaches 25 million fewer TV homes than ESPN and ESPN2, the league's former cable networks.

But do you deprive Cablevision and DISH viewers of what they were expecting so you can pursue the goal of rapidly increasing the number of subscribers?

What do you tell viewers who have heard about OLN's Monday and Tuesday night games and believed the promise in the network's advertising slogan, "We Believe in Hockey"?

If you're Comcast, you tell them that you have to earn back your investment, which includes $65 million for this season's TV rights, and that you're fighting other rival potentates like Cablevision and DISH to make OLN available to as many subscribers as possible.

"We had five weeks to get hockey on the air," said Jeff Shell, the president of Comcast Programming. "We moved mountains to deliver hockey to the fans."

The good will that Comcast built by stepping forward in August when ESPN declined to renew its N.H.L. deal is eroding with its demand that Cablevision and DISH rapidly accelerate their distribution of OLN - or their subscribers will be punished by getting a hockey-free version of the network.

Cablevision has the highest hurdle to meet Comcast's demand that it make OLN available to 40 percent of its nearly 3 million subscribers before hockey games will be shown on OLN on that system. Right now, only 22,000 get OLN as part of a 10-channel $4.95 digital sports package.

Comcast insists that it is fighting to make OLN available to those 3 million homes at a lower price than the 22,000 subscribers pay.

OLN is available to about 3 million of DISH's 11.4 million subscribers, but Comcast is pressing hard to have the channel moved to a less expensive tier that would greatly expand its availability.

Both Cablevision and DISH seem prepared to live with Comcast's cherry-picking of OLN hockey. "We'd like to work with them, but we won't let our customers be bullied," said Marc Lumpkin, a DISH spokesman. "We're disappointed that Comcast is not fulfilling its contractual obligations."

Charles Schueler, a spokesman for Cablevision - which has engaged in nasty disputes like refusing to carry the YES Network in 2002 - said the zapping of OLN hockey was "in violation of our contract."

"We call upon Comcast to return OLN hockey to New York fans immediately," he said.

In Cablevision's service areas in the metropolitan area, one Rangers game on OLN has already been blacked out, and six more may be denied to viewers; four Islanders games are scheduled, as are two Devils games.

Shell insisted that Comcast was correct in making its demands. About Cablevision, he said: "We've given them exactly what's in the contract. It never contemplated hockey." He added, "We don't have an obligation to add hockey unless they agree to our terms."

Even so, who thought OLN would branch into hockey, any more than HBO contracts with cable operators could contemplate a blockbuster series about a psychologically conflicted Mafia boss from New Jersey? How do you write such speculation into a contract - and how do you enforce it?

Shell was incensed that Cablevision ran newspaper advertisements last week trumpeting its digital sports offerings - called the iO Sports Pak - including "N.H.L. action all season long on OLN."

"They advertised that you should buy the sports tier when, at the very least, they knew there was a dispute," Shell said. "That's infuriating."

Schueler said the ad ran on Oct. 10, before any games were blacked out. The first OLN blackout occurred that night, and the first one involving the Rangers came in their game on Monday against Florida.

"We never imagined that Comcast would take the unprecedented step of electronically blocking hockey games and delivering a different version of OLN to New York than appears nationally," Schueler said.

This is a poor way to start the post-lockout relationship between OLN and even a relatively small sliver of fans, who need not care about Comcast's investment in production and marketing. They just see that in a short time, OLN came to hockey's rescue, and is now playing hardpuck.

The N.H.L. has not whistled this power play down, suggesting it lacks the power to do so. Bill Daly, the league's deputy commissioner, said, "We're monitoring what's going on, and we share the goal of everyone to maximize the coverage of OLN games in as many households as possible."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/20/sp...ckey/20tv.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #548 of 8712 Old 10-20-2005, 04:27 PM
bx_

What channel is MSG HD on in The FusionHDTV tool.. 1071 doesn't really look like HiDef and it says 480i..

You have a channel map for the channels that correspond to the channel used in FusionHDTV ?

Once you go HDTV, you never go back!

post #549 of 8712 Old 10-20-2005, 07:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldari View Post

Can someone please answer, I have it scheduled to be installed this weekend

Yes channels will be normal cable channels, although I don't believe they pass any guide information.

"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd."
post #550 of 8712 Old 10-20-2005, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

They won't use the money for cable, but at least now they will have cap room for some real players.

Won't impact the cap this year, but it will impact cash flow. Knicks only owe 20% of his salary this year.

"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd."
post #551 of 8712 Old 10-20-2005, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx_ View Post

What channel is MSG HD on in The FusionHDTV tool.. 1071 doesn't really look like HiDef and it says 480i..

You have a channel map for the channels that correspond to the channel used in FusionHDTV ?

As I mentioned, I only had ESPN-HD on the Fusion card for a short time. It was on channel 1171 (or 117.2 using the older software). Now I don't get 117 at all! But, you say that you are at least picking up the channel. CV must have differing channel layouts for digital based on location.

There was a post from over from the summer on this Forum that mapped the channels and I seem to remember that he was from Babylon. I did the search and found it, look at post 98 in this thread.
post #552 of 8712 Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:

ah thats great news to hear. so you basically have it running straight from the wall to the fusion card? also which software are you using to record? i know the fusion software is the only one that can record qam, but ive read mixed reviews of the new fusion 3.11 software. is that the version your using or an older version?

see i was figuring to split the cable coming from the wall with one going straight to my fusion card by passing the stb. and one going to the stb then from the stb to record regular digital or analog cable using my pvr.

I have the cable modem line split; one to the Fusion card, and one to the cable modem. I am not using a stb, and you do not need it to get reception on the PC. The reference to the stb is only my desire to get the extra goodies that I would have if this was an actual HDTV.

Yes, the 3.11 version has its quirks but it does seem to work better after picking up the ZuluAuthen.dll that has was mentioned on that forum.

If the stb installation gives you HBO-HD or ESPN-HD or MSG-HD or anything else extra, please post it to this forum.

Thanks.
post #553 of 8712 Old 10-21-2005, 04:55 PM

Currently i have cablevision for my internet and i also have their 8 dollar a month cable(bottom of the barrel cable). I have a sony 1272 projector and looking at upgrading so i can get some hd stuff. Looking at my options i could get dish network,direct tv, or stay with cablevision and upgrad to hd. I have nothing aginst any company (finding most hate cable companies but im ok with them, enjoying their excelent cable modem at the moment)... So whats everones opinion on each and consider HD as a major decision, price can also be a factor since i a cheap sob (i have 8 dollar cable now,need i say more lol) Heard that direct is going to have more HD channels soon and everyone will be behind them for a while which makes me think about getting direct but i know i will hear it from both of my parents (both divorced but both have dish) that i should have gone with dish network. So whats the best deal out there for my needs? If a company is soon to release new things (like direct tv with mpeg 4 and more hd content) then make that point that right now there is not much but in the not so distant future x-company with have this bla bla bla...
post #554 of 8712 Old 10-21-2005, 05:09 PM

I use DirecTV and love it. Plus I happen to "live" in my favorite sports team's city, so I get the according FSN. Not sure how cable and Dish handle this.....

post #555 of 8712 Old 10-21-2005, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Go with D* or E* the cable is crappy for those analog channels.

Shawn
GT - CokeBear
post #556 of 8712 Old 10-21-2005, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It really depends on programming you want. E* has Voom and TNTHD. D* has Universal HD, ESPN2HD, and Sunday Ticket HD. You'll need to check out what the Cablevision package has in your area.
post #557 of 8712 Old 10-21-2005, 06:09 PM

ok first question is why does everyone refer direct tv as D* and dish network as E*, for the life of me i cant figure it out lol. Anyway i had similar thoughts about cable and the regular analog channels, too much noise in the line and the picture is fuzzy but wasnt sure if you go with a digital box if that would help any on the sd channels.
post #558 of 8712 Old 10-21-2005, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
D* = DirecTV
E* = Echostar = Dish Network
post #559 of 8712 Old 10-21-2005, 06:17 PM

ok atleast i now can see why people ues E* for dish network but whats with the * and wonder why people dont use DT and DN .
post #560 of 8712 Old 10-21-2005, 10:09 PM

I use Dish and love it. If I'm not mistaken whether it's Dish or DirecTV, all channels are 100% digital whereas digital cable still has some analog channels, mainly your locals...I could be wrong. My SD channels from my HD Dish 811 are quite a bit better than the SD channels from my 'regular' PVR 508(one of Dish's digital video recorder). As for price, you'll have to do a side by side comparison and see what channels you want.
post #561 of 8712 Old 10-21-2005, 10:34 PM

I am bias to DIRECTV as we are exclusive dealers. However, here are some differences for you to consider. With DIRECTV you will get the 4 networks in HD, I do not think Dish offers ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX in HD.

The roll-out of MPEG-4 and the new satellites offer a strong commitment to a hugh increase in HD programming.

I believe most folks agree that DIRECTV equipment is more reliable and DIRECTV's DVRs are better.

I told you I was bias.

-Robert
post #562 of 8712 Old 10-21-2005, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Both *'s use compression for their HD channels as does cable but when it comes to the SD I am dissapointed with the analog sd channels on cable they looked much better on E*. I can't say what they look like on D* cause I've never had that but it would have to be better than what I'm getting with TWC.

Shawn
GT - CokeBear
post #563 of 8712 Old 10-24-2005, 01:31 PM

I have had D* and Voom. I now have Cablevision. In terms of pq, Cablevision compares very favorably on both sd and hd. The Cablevision Scientific Atlanta DVR records SD and HD with excellent quality and you don't have to pay anything to buy it, whereas for D* you have to buy the DVR. You only pay a $4.95 monthly fee for the Cable DVR. The D* Tivo has better software, e.g. searching for titles, saving your place where you left off viewing etc. You pay nothing for Cablevision HD - it's the same $4.95 rental fee for an SD cablebox or an HD cablebox. If you subscribe to Rainbow Gold, as I do, the HD includes five locals, HBOHD, SHOHD, Cinemax HD, The Movie Channel HD and StarzHD. You also get Thirteen HD, MSG Network HD, ESPN HD, Universal HD, FSNY HD and INHD. In total it's about twice as many HD channels than D*. Be careful about promises for more HD on D* as I believe that their initial usage of their new satellite space will be for carrying locals around the country. I am a very critical person but I have been very impressed with the level of service and responsiveness from Cablevision.
post #564 of 8712 Old 10-24-2005, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Martin21,

Which Cablevision market are you in? I have Cablevision Long Island and the SA8300HD. They charge $5 for the additional rent for the hardware (which I agree is reasonable rather than buying), and $10 for the DVR service.

Do you pay the $10 for the DVR service in your market?

Dennis
post #565 of 8712 Old 10-25-2005, 02:17 PM

I have a MITSUBISHI 62825 and just got the cable card from cablevision. Will I be able to use the On Screen Guide from Mistubishi in my area (northern NJ)? I have waited 5 days and have got nothing on screen yet.
post #566 of 8712 Old 10-26-2005, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.Mitchell View Post

Martin21,

Which Cablevision market are you in? I have Cablevision Long Island and the SA8300HD. They charge $5 for the additional rent for the hardware (which I agree is reasonable rather than buying), and $10 for the DVR service.

Do you pay the $10 for the DVR service in your market?

I do pay for the DVR service same as you - I am in Fairfield County Ct.
post #567 of 8712 Old 10-29-2005, 10:29 PM

Quote:

I have the cable modem line split; one to the Fusion card, and one to the cable modem. I am not using a stb, and you do not need it to get reception on the PC. The reference to the stb is only my desire to get the extra goodies that I would have if this was an actual HDTV.

Yes, the 3.11 version has its quirks but it does seem to work better after picking up the ZuluAuthen.dll that has was mentioned on that forum.

If the stb installation gives you HBO-HD or ESPN-HD or MSG-HD or anything else extra, please post it to this forum.

Thanks.

okay well i finally got my io digital cable with hdtv installed. the hdtv channels are wonderful on my stb into my sony kds 60 inch tv.

i also split the cable line and have one line running directly into the fusion card on my htpc. i was able to qam almost all of the ota network channels and i also got all the digital channels as well(which i didnt expect to get). however i do not get when i do a channel scan, any of the other hdtv programs such as msghd or espn hd. now with all the channels i get, there are so many up in the 800s 900s and 1000s and even 1100s that i cant tell which is which. i think nbchd is 1010 and cbs hdtv is like 1100 or something. i cant seem to find abchd however. does anyone know which channel it is? also is it possible to get a channel guide for this?
post #568 of 8712 Old 10-30-2005, 02:17 PM

Quote:

okay well i finally got my io digital cable with hdtv installed. the hdtv channels are wonderful on my stb into my sony kds 60 inch tv.

i also split the cable line and have one line running directly into the fusion card on my htpc. i was able to qam almost all of the ota network channels and i also got all the digital channels as well(which i didnt expect to get). however i do not get when i do a channel scan, any of the other hdtv programs such as msghd or espn hd. now with all the channels i get, there are so many up in the 800s 900s and 1000s and even 1100s that i cant tell which is which. i think nbchd is 1010 and cbs hdtv is like 1100 or something. i cant seem to find abchd however. does anyone know which channel it is? also is it possible to get a channel guide for this?

You're not going to get msg-hd or espn-hd because those channels are encrypted and you need a stb or tv which supports a cablecard to get these channels. The OTA HD channels are availlable on the wire unencrypted, but, as you've found, they are in odd places. I found WNBC-HD at 74.704 bwfore I had a cablecard on my Sony DVR.
post #569 of 8712 Old 11-01-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruidh View Post

You're not going to get msg-hd or espn-hd because those channels are encrypted and you need a stb or tv which supports a cablecard to get these channels.

When I asked about getting channels such as ESPN-HD or MSG-HD or HBO-HD I was referring to using the HD stb from CV and connecting that feed to my PC tuner card. Currently, I get all of the OTA HD signals on a lone cable feed. At one point, I was getting ESPN-HD (on 117.1) but that is now encrypted. I am not trying to "steal" unpaid for service, but rather use the stb to get these extra channels that would feed in to a full-fledged HDTV based on my current subscription. I am fully willing to rent the box from CV if it did supply me with these goodies.

Is this doable?

Thanks in advance
post #570 of 8712 Old 11-01-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:

When I asked about getting channels such as ESPN-HD or MSG-HD or HBO-HD I was referring to using the HD stb from CV and connecting that feed to my PC tuner card. Currently, I get all of the OTA HD signals on a lone cable feed. At one point, I was getting ESPN-HD (on 117.1) but that is now encrypted. I am not trying to "steal" unpaid for service, but rather use the stb to get these extra channels that would feed in to a full-fledged HDTV based on my current subscription. I am fully willing to rent the box from CV if it did supply me with these goodies.

Is this doable?

No. No STB is not going to output HD in a form you can record it except perhaps with firewire. Even then, I'm not confident that you'll get anything usable. I was never able to get anything usable from the fireaire port on my CV HD box.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page