post #631 of 8712 Old 12-18-2005, 06:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldenpat View Post

Is anyone else having problems recording via Firewire to a Mitsubishi DVHS VCR?
Started happening this past week.

I have two Sony boxes connected to two Mitsubishi 2000U's and both of them are giving me copy protection errors when I go to record. Last night I was recording the Giants game on 702 and 1hr 10min into the recording, the VCR gave me the dreaded "Error CP". I am trying to confirm, but it seems as if it's not happening with my JVC 40ks.

Before I go pulling my hair out and testing my equipment, I want to see if there is a problem with the 5C flags from CV, or it's something in my setup.

Thanks!

Disregard: I pulled my hair out and realized that I just had to reset the firewire devices on the 2000U since I switched one box and replaced the other. All is well in DVHS land!

"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8712 Old 12-19-2005, 10:14 AM

cablevision on long island you can just goto a walk in center with your old box and swap it for an HD box to save the 30-40 dollar visit to have them come do it. They don't care if you have an HD tv anymore.

And even on a SD tv you get the HD broadcasts over svideo which are cleaner looking then their equivalent SD channels since they are digital.
post #633 of 8712 Old 12-19-2005, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Any word on the availability of the multi-room boxes?
post #634 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
CV has no plans to offer the SA MR DVR. They are developing a network DVR that will allow you to store programs on their servers. Think of it as individual VOD. They said in the last earnings call that they might have something ready to test soon.
post #635 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

CV has no plans to offer the SA MR DVR. They are developing a network DVR that will allow you to store programs on their servers. Think of it as individual VOD. They said in the last earnings call that they might have something ready to test soon.

Does this apply to all cablevision? I was going to call to see if they offered the MR box today, this is disappointing, since it costs me 20 a month to have 2 DVRs when I could go with just one and add on an external HDD.
post #636 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 08:38 AM

I'm going to get a new tv that supports cable card. do i need to have someone come and install or can i just go to the walkin? also, how much extra is it per month for the cable card? thanks!
post #637 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

As far as I know cable card is install only. Costs $1.25/mo.
post #638 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan6 View Post

Does this apply to all cablevision? I was going to call to see if they offered the MR box today, this is disappointing, since it costs me 20 a month to have 2 DVRs when I could go with just one and add on an external HDD.

Well that exactly why they won't offer a MR dvr. They don't wnat to loose that money from mulit dvr households. IN addition they save on having to by multiroom boxes and send someone out to rewire households that request them. Remember you can't just swap them out, the whole house has to be wired through the mr box.
post #639 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 12:51 PM

They charge you $30 to plug the card in. This is what they used to charge for installing an HD box and now you can pick up the box and install it yourself. Why do you need a service call to plug in this cable card? Are there any technical adjustments that need to be made with the card?
post #640 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 12:56 PM

I was just reading on cablevision's website that they have to activate it, so that's probably why they have to come out.....but i'm sure a monkey could do it.....
post #641 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidnw View Post

Well that exactly why they won't offer a MR dvr. They don't wnat to loose that money from mulit dvr households. IN addition they save on having to by multiroom boxes and send someone out to rewire households that request them. Remember you can't just swap them out, the whole house has to be wired through the mr box.

I don't think they have to rewire anything, so long as all the cable boxes can communicate, i.e., there exists a path between the boxes, it works (since there presumably is one service entrance, everything must tie back at some point. The MR box acts like a little cable headend and distributes the programming through the house using the IP-addressable boxes.
post #642 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

I don't think they have to rewire anything, so long as all the cable boxes can communicate, i.e., there exists a path between the boxes, it works (since there presumably is one service entrance, everything must tie back at some point. The MR box acts like a little cable headend and distributes the programming through the house using the IP-addressable boxes.

they have to come to replace your splitter with this isolation module.

Iso Module

or just install this module on you main line.

Iso Module 2

They have to make sure the client boxes t get the dvr channel frequency from the MRDVR and not the cable plant. WHile this might be easy for some. The last thing they want is giving those isolation modules out to people who don't know what the hell there doing. THere not exactly cheap like normal splitters
post #643 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 58
GMan6: I had my HD service installed about 1 1/2 yrs ago. CV told me then that they have to come out and install themselves because of too much problems with people doing it themselves.. It was worth the 30 bucks for them to install new RG6 wiring into the house and make sure I have a strong signal upstairs and downstairs. Hope this helps

post #644 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 PM

Taxman: yea up until recently they did it but now you can do it yourself which is nice.

Two questions for you guys:

1. I am currently having the problem where sometimes when i flip inputs on my new jvc 56fh-96 and go back to my hdmi source which is the hd dvr, its a frozen scrambled image, nothing fixes it but powering down the tv a few minutes then turning it back on, anyone ever see this?

2. Under settings, what do the choices under Set: Picture Format do? They are Upconvert 1, upconvert 2, auto dvi/hdmi and fixed...
post #645 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 04:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRocco View Post

They charge you $30 to plug the card in. This is what they used to charge for installing an HD box and now you can pick up the box and install it yourself. Why do you need a service call to plug in this cable card? Are there any technical adjustments that need to be made with the card?

They will charge you $30 and at the end of the day, they probably will not get it to work correctly. Most installers and the technical reps that they contact have little knowledge or take the extra time to truly "marry" the card to the system. I was only able to get the card to work correctly by getting Wilt involved. Now it works perfectly!

You HAVE to make sure that they get the card communicating properly with their system.

"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd."
post #646 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 09:09 PM

Quote:

They will charge you $30 and at the end of the day, they probably will not get it to work correctly. Most installers and the technical reps that they contact have little knowledge or take the extra time to truly "marry" the card to the system.

Most installers believe it or not are sub-contracted out by CV. I recently had installation and the installer was telling me that if you call CV with a problem, they will send there people out to look at and diagnose the problem, then tell you they cannot repair it that day and have the sub-contracted company come to your house. Point being, most CV workers dont have a clue.
post #647 of 8712 Old 12-20-2005, 09:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd303 View Post

Most installers believe it or not are sub-contracted out by CV. I recently had installation and the installer was telling me that if you call CV with a problem, they will send there people out to look at and diagnose the problem, then tell you they cannot repair it that day and have the sub-contracted company come to your house. Point being, most CV workers dont have a clue.

I tend to believe otherwise, but that may just be my area. Before I contacted Wilt with my problem, the tech came out and, IMO, went above and beyond. He found the signal to be a bit low...nothing major, but not great. Changed all of the connectors and when that didn't solve the problem, went out to the street and tested the signal. It was great on the street. Turns out the original install to my house used "substandard" cabling and was already starting to break down. Mind you, my house is 7 years old. He replaced all of the underground cabling that day and boosted the signal about 30%. Still didn't solve the problem with the card, but at least we were able to rule out a signal issue.

Again, I have never experienced any sub-contracting issues, but I believe that CV has some opportunites to improve the training of all of their employees, especially the CSR's.

post #648 of 8712 Old 12-21-2005, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tend to believe otherwise, but that may just be my area. Before I contacted Wilt with my problem, the tech came out and, IMO, went above and beyond. He found the signal to be a bit low...nothing major, but not great. Changed all of the connectors and when that didn't solve the problem, went out to the street and tested the signal. It was great on the street. Turns out the original install to my house used "substandard" cabling and was already starting to break down. Mind you, my house is 7 years old. He replaced all of the underground cabling that day and boosted the signal about 30%. Still didn't solve the problem with the card, but at least we were able to rule out a signal issue.

Again, I have never experienced any sub-contracting issues, but I believe that CV has some opportunites to improve the training of all of their employees, especially the CSR's.

Wow! That is definitely above and beyond. I personally, living in the middle of Long Island, not too far from Selden, have always had good experiences with the CV installers as well. While I am totally competent and able to install the unit(s) myself, it was worth it, IMHO, to have them come and test the signals, etc.
post #649 of 8712 Old 12-22-2005, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen199 View Post

I was an IO customer that just got a new HD set and the new 8300 dvr hd box. The output is adjustable from 480i, 720i, 720p, 1080i, etc. I don't want to be constantly fiddling with the settings. Is 720p my best choice? I watch both the HD and standard channels. Thank you.

Tomorrow I'm also exchanging my HD box for the DVR. I would think the DVR has a HD output menu to best match one's HDTV (as does the stand alone HD box). This is not found under settings; one leaves the box off and presses the top two buttons on the box itself for it to appear. After that the box automaticly selects the proper ouput for each channel. Do this and ignore the HD options found under settings.
post #650 of 8712 Old 12-23-2005, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys. Well I just got my box installed. I didnt have time to really test it out though. I got the basic plsu the HDTV channells and DVR service.

The thing is the only HD channells that I can find except for the local channells are INHD, MSGHD, and some HD channell for the NJ NETs.. Those are the ones in the 700 range that aren't the premium channells. Am I imssing something here? Shouldn't I have close to 20? I would appreciate your help. Thanks.
post #651 of 8712 Old 12-23-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post

Hi guys. Well I just got my box installed. I didnt have time to really test it out though. I got the basic plsu the HDTV channells and DVR service.

The thing is the only HD channells that I can find except for the local channells are INHD, MSGHD, and some HD channell for the NJ NETs.. Those are the ones in the 700 range that aren't the premium channells. Am I imssing something here? Shouldn't I have close to 20? I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

You should also be getting CBS 702, NBC 704, FOX 705, ABC 707, WB11 711, PBS 713. I'm doing this from memory so I might be missing one??? If you're not getting those I would call Customer Service.
post #652 of 8712 Old 12-23-2005, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Aside from the 6 broadcast channels listed above, with family cable the other HD channels are:
700 HD on Demand - Very few choices
701 INHD
715 YES HD - only on for Yankees and Nets home games
720 MSG HD
721 WLIW - Not HD at this time, only digital
725 FSN NY HD
736 ESPN HD
744 Universal HD
792 HD PPV - An occasional boxing event
The following are available with iO Silver and iO Gold
740 Starz HD
750 HBO HD
The following are available with iO Gold
760 Showtime HD
770 Cinemax HD
780 The Movie Channel HD
post #653 of 8712 Old 12-23-2005, 10:09 AM

Can i use my 4200 HD box to plug straight into my Dell 24" screen? I tried it but it says something about being blocked.
post #654 of 8712 Old 12-23-2005, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yep thanks guys. For some reason I thought I should be also getting Discovery HD or something. I hope we get more HDTV channells soon.

By the way, I am using my component cables fro mmy DVD plyaer right now. I would prefer to get an HDMI cable. But has the issue been fixed about the audio? Will I be able to get DD 5.1 via coax if I use the HDMI out on the 8300HD DVR?

Also has any1 noticed that the HD DVR box is much faster at menus than the regular one?
post #655 of 8712 Old 12-23-2005, 07:42 PM

any opinions on whats better a high end tv's converter from the native signals to 1080i (I have a jvc 56fh-96) or the 8300's built in upscaler to 1080?
post #656 of 8712 Old 12-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Whats up everyone. New poster to this thread, and new to cablevision services... even though my wife is an employee. The free cable is a nice plus.

Anyways... I have a couple of initial points/questions.

First off... will CV be getting SportsNet? I hope so... cause I am a bigtime Mets fan. No sportsnet means i'll be stuck watching yankee games and that would make me very ill.

Why is the non DVR 4200HD box significantly slower in changing channels compared to the time buffered 8300HD? I would think the opposite would be true, but its not.

My bedroom houses my 4200HD and I have a 50" plasma. The room is a little on the small side so the plasma is a little overkill. Right now I have component hooked into it. Watching SD gets kinda bad... at times the picture gets intermittently very grainy. My plasma only has HDMI so I tried an HDMI to DVI cable and that didn't help too much. Would changing this box to a 8300HD and going true HDMI make a difference with my SD programs?

Does the fact that the stupid IO menu comes up when I hit GUIDE on the remote annoy the crap out of anyone else here? God this is probably the worst feature on CV service.

I heard people had some tweaks and hacks for the 8300HD. Can you add an external hard drive to it? Can you archive shows (like a ReplayTV) to an external hard drive and watch on a PC?

Thanks and hello to you all.
post #657 of 8712 Old 12-24-2005, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post

Yep thanks guys. For some reason I thought I should be also getting Discovery HD or something. I hope we get more HDTV channells soon.

By the way, I am using my component cables fro mmy DVD plyaer right now. I would prefer to get an HDMI cable. But has the issue been fixed about the audio? Will I be able to get DD 5.1 via coax if I use the HDMI out on the 8300HD DVR?

Also has any1 noticed that the HD DVR box is much faster at menus than the regular one?

Yes, everything seems faster with the HD DVR box. We no longer have a wait while the TV Guide changes dates or getting more information.

Regarding the HDMI, the box has separate audio outputs for both coaxial and optical so either one can be hooked up to your receiver for 5.1. The annoyance is having to readjust the audio when switching between the TV speakers and receiver. Sound does not go to the receiver when set to HDMI (only the TV speakers); setting it to Dolby Digital resolves this but cuts off audio to the TV. There was un-necessary with the stand alone HD box which only had DVI.

A NOTE TO SUBSCRIBERS USING HDMI: when switching out set from a video component to HD we get no picture or audio (only snow). Turning our set off and on again remedies this. We spoke to Cablevision and were advised a software problem is disrupting the feed sent from cable boxs to sets using HDMI. Until it's resolved we were suggested to use component cables if this was found to be annoying. It will not affect any DVR recording.

Anybody else experiencing the same problem?
post #658 of 8712 Old 12-26-2005, 08:27 AM

here is the deal that i've come up with so far
cablevision has gone to a digital channel 13 on the cable card
when i set up the tvgos with my ant b (no cable card)
i get all the data and the guide works great BUT on ant b only
going threw the ant a channels (with cable card) some are digital some are still analogue ( my tv can show what is analogue and what is digital)
channel 13 (needed to get data ) is now digital
tho some channels on the card are still analogue (tv land ect ect)
now is possible to get them (Cable companies) to map channel 13 to the analogue channel 13 on my card (and others that have the same issue) i am sure it will work if they can
they can tell individual card what can and cannot be received (pay channels)
they should be able to map individual cards that need analogue 13

any cable guys or gals out there that can tell me if this is possible??
post #659 of 8712 Old 12-27-2005, 07:39 AM

Does anyone know anything about the TV GUIDE ON SCREEN with Cablevision. I specifically switched to the CableCard for this reason, and now i see that they dont offer it. Will they? I dont understand why they cant offer it.

Any help would be apprecaited.

Thanks
post #660 of 8712 Old 12-27-2005, 11:14 AM

Be careful what Cablevision tells you on the phone. I called the first time to swap out my 8300SD for a 8300HD and they said on the phone they only way to do it was to be charged $30 for a visit to the home. They "double checked" and said that was the only way "Shall I schedule an appointment"?
Since I didn't have my HDTV yet (just ordered it) I said no thank you, I'll call back.

Once I had the HDTV (Dell W3201C) I called again (exactly 6 days later) and this time they said yes I just go to the "Cablevision Store" (service center), I was put on hold and they checked which of the two Brooklyn "Stores" had the HD-DVRs and they told me to go to the E 45th St one.

After 90 minutes on line in the "store" with my new box it works perfectly. Was my travel time and 90 minutes worth the $30 I saved. I make believe it is.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page