post #721 of 8712 Old 01-13-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

We paid a lot more for our HDMI cable (nearly $100) and do not know if this was overkill or helps improve the picture. It might also depend upon the HD set you are using. We have the Sony KD34SBR960 and wanted to be sure it was receiving the best feed from the HD box.

When comparing component to HDMI we did find picture quality to be a little more vivid with HDMI. Because others have not noticed any real difference the more expensive HDMI might do the trick.

$100 is overkill. As I said I got the $9.45 cable and noticed an improvement. No matter what cable you get the difference between HDMI and Component is noticable but small. Component delivers an excellent picture too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8712 Old 01-13-2006, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

$100 is overkill. As I said I got the $9.45 cable and noticed an improvement. No matter what cable you get the difference between HDMI and Component is noticable but small. Component delivers an excellent picture too.

"Ouch, that really hurts" (as quoted from another forum member). Actually, we paid $79 but could have used that $69 savings (should have asked if there were any cheaper cables but didn't think to do so). However, even for a small increase in HD picture quality one should use HDMI so as to get the best.
post #723 of 8712 Old 01-14-2006, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was I supposed to get a manual with this 8300HD? because all I got is this "getting started with your HD DVR" guide.
post #724 of 8712 Old 01-14-2006, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought there was a way to do a hard restart on the 8300HD by just a combination of buttons, as opposed to pulling the plug, or am I confusing it with my old VOOM box?
post #725 of 8712 Old 01-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Hi, new to HD with a few questions. I just got an HDTV and went down to Cablevision's store (Hauppauge LI) to pick up an HD box. They gave me a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200HD. What's the difference between this and the 8300HD. Mine does not have optical digital audio output on it, which I need for my receiver. Also, does Cablevision out on Long Island offer other boxes? Can I bring it back and request a different one? Do they have models with one of those DVR or PVR type things, where you can record and watch later? Will it record in HD?

Also, I've noticed that some HD channels look much better than others, particularly bad is the Universal HD, which to me looks very smeary most of the time, but I guess it depends on what is being shown, because last night I watched a bit of Hard Target on Universal and it looked pretty good.

Sorry if any of these are stupid questions, but this is all new to me. Thanks in advance.
post #726 of 8712 Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

Hi, new to HD with a few questions. I just got an HDTV and went down to Cablevision's store (Hauppauge LI) to pick up an HD box. They gave me a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200HD. What's the difference between this and the 8300HD. Mine does not have optical digital audio output on it, which I need for my receiver. Also, does Cablevision out on Long Island offer other boxes? Can I bring it back and request a different one? Do they have models with one of those DVR or PVR type things, where you can record and watch later? Will it record in HD?

Also, I've noticed that some HD channels look much better than others, particularly bad is the Universal HD, which to me looks very smeary most of the time, but I guess it depends on what is being shown, because last night I watched a bit of Hard Target on Universal and it looked pretty good.

Sorry if any of these are stupid questions, but this is all new to me. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Exchange the box for the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. This is a DVR which will allow you to record SD and HD programming on the hard drive. The 8300 also has optical and coax digital audio outputs. Also can time slip if you are watching live programming and are interrupted by phone call, etc. I also noticed the difference in various HD programming. Live broadcasts seem to be the best. Other programming seems to vary in quality.
post #727 of 8712 Old 01-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I will exchange the box. How mush programming can fit on the 8300HD's DVR?
Also, Is there any news on Cablevision LI getting any more HD channels?
post #728 of 8712 Old 01-15-2006, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

Thanks, I will exchange the box. How mush programming can fit on the 8300HD's DVR?
Also, Is there any news on Cablevision LI getting any more HD channels?

The DVR can store up to 40 hours of HD recording and up to 100 hours standard definition. I find picture quality slightly better than the 4200 stand alone HD box. We have cablevision for the Bronx and have not found any degradation on Universal HD.

The cost is an extra $9.95 a month for the box - just be sure two codes are registered by cablevision when you get your box. Because the scanner failed to pick up the code authorizing copying ("out to VCR") we couldn't make any recordings onto DVD. Customer representatives could not understand why this was happening but after several calls a DVR technician finally saw the code authorizing recording was never entered.
post #729 of 8712 Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The DVR can only hold 20 hours of HD recordings.
post #730 of 8712 Old 01-17-2006, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The DVR can only hold 20 hours of HD recordings.

Remy,

My user manual for the HD DVR says 40 hours of HD and 100 hours of standard quality. When having approximately 10 hours stored on hard drive it registered less than 10% full.
post #731 of 8712 Old 01-17-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

All I can tell you is my SA8300HD from Cablevision with a 160GB drive can only hold 20 hours of HD, and that's what it says in can store in SA's manual.
post #732 of 8712 Old 01-17-2006, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I live in central NJ and am thinking of changing from Directv to Cablevision HD. I was watching some hdtv at a friends house and the program guide was painfully slow. Is it still slow with the newest HD STB's and HD-STB-DVR?

Thanks in advance. DirecTV was upgrading my system to Mpeg4 and made me wait all day for a noshow installer. Looking at alternatives.

baimo
post #733 of 8712 Old 01-17-2006, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post

I live in central NJ and am thinking of changing from Directv to Cablevision HD. I was watching some hdtv at a friends house and the program guide was painfully slow. Is it still slow with the newest HD STB's and HD-STB-DVR?

Thanks in advance. DirecTV was upgrading my system to Mpeg4 and made me wait all day for a noshow installer. Looking at alternatives.

baimo

The TV guide on Cablevisions's HD DVR is fast; it's faster than the Stand Alone box.
post #734 of 8712 Old 01-17-2006, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I can tell you is my SA8300HD from Cablevision with a 160GB drive can only hold 20 hours of HD, and that's what it says in can store in SA's manual.

Seems Cablevision revised it's description and neither of us was totally correct - from their webpage:

"record and store up to 100 hours of standard-definition programming on the iO DVR and up to 24 hours of High-Definition programming on the iO DVR for HDTV".
post #735 of 8712 Old 01-17-2006, 12:13 PM

So is that a different unit then cause mine with only record 20 hours of HD.

The guide speed is def much faster than I anticipated, 100x better than any satelitte guide where you have to wait 3 minutes to get the same nights info.
post #736 of 8712 Old 01-17-2006, 08:05 PM
njt

Anybody watching NBATV/INHD 1 recently? Noticed that the last one (Bulls a few days ago) and tonight's (Suns/Kings) is a poor feed. Seems to have a lot of macroblocking.
post #737 of 8712 Old 01-17-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njt View Post

Anybody watching NBATV/INHD 1 recently? Noticed that the last one (Bulls a few days ago) and tonight's (Suns/Kings) is a poor feed. Seems to have a lot of macroblocking.

Yes, I actually just noticed that. Compare the game on the INHD channel to the college game on ESPN HD and there is a noticable difference.

Just got my HDMI cable today...I dont think I notice a difference but I'm happy knowing its the better connection
post #738 of 8712 Old 01-18-2006, 05:38 AM

This is only happening on Standard Definition channels not any of the HD channels, I get a line across the very top of my Dell W3201 that shimmies. It also appears on recorded Standard Def tv. Depending on the color background it is very noticeable to you have to look hard to see it (black colors).
All HD channels are fine, actually fantastic.
This appears on HDMI as well as Componet but I do not see it on the componet connection on my DVD player or the HDMI (DVI/HDMI) from the computer. The 8300HD is in Auto mode and all the modes are enabled.
Cablevision of NYC, Brooklyn.
Any ideas?
post #739 of 8712 Old 01-18-2006, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody know the latest regarding negotiations with Sportsnet New York so it will be aired on Cablevision? Am now afraid the Mets will be blacked out just like the YES Network a few years back. Of course, Sportsnet New York is jointly owned by Time Warner and Comcast.
post #740 of 8712 Old 01-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Folks. I am thinking of going with Cablevision. I currently have Dish and OTA. I would keep OTA. The PQ is amazing. My question: Is there anyone here who has had Dish and switched to Cablevision? If so, what is your experience with PQ, especially on HD. Thanks, Joe
post #741 of 8712 Old 01-18-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Jan 18, 2006

By MSGNetwork.com

MSG, continuing its trend as an industry leader in technology, will air its first hi-definition (HD) away game Thursday, January 19 as the New York Rangers take on the Pittsburgh Penguins in the steel city.

In total, MSG and FSN New York will air 17 HD away hockey and basketball games this season.

MSG currently airs home games of the New York Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, Islanders and New Jersey Devils in HD.

The next HD away game will air this Saturday, January 21st when the Rangers go to Boston to battle the Bruins. MSG will broadcast the first Knicks away game on February 8th in New Jersey versus the Nets. As the seasons progress, MSG will look to add more HD away games.
post #742 of 8712 Old 01-18-2006, 02:45 PM
njt

Quote:

Jan 18, 2006
MSG will broadcast the first Knicks away game on February 8th in New Jersey versus the Nets. As the seasons progress, MSG will look to add more HD away games.

*Very* exciting news. I was under the impression that this was still quite a ways away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmakVR6 View Post

Yes, I actually just noticed that. Compare the game on the INHD channel to the college game on ESPN HD and there is a noticable difference.

Just got my HDMI cable today...I dont think I notice a difference but I'm happy knowing its the better connection

I don't think it was like this earlier in the year. I believe the issue is caused during compression before transmission, but it is usually reserved for extreme cases (e.g., an entire flock of birds in fast motion). This seems to be inconsistent with that. The macro blocking occurs with very little motion. When there is a lot the transimission degrades completely. But I agree not only is different from games on other channels, its different from other broadcasts on INHD. For example, I'm watching college bball on INHD now and don't see the issue.

Thanks for replying though... thought the problem might be on my end.
post #743 of 8712 Old 01-19-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post

This is only happening on Standard Definition channels not any of the HD channels, I get a line across the very top of my Dell W3201 that shimmies. It also appears on recorded Standard Def tv.

Sounds like your display needs to be adjusted. There is "stuff" in an analog signal which isn't intended to be displayed. If your display is out of adjustment and trying to display data in the VBI (vertical blanking interval) you will see just what you've described.
post #744 of 8712 Old 01-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

My first week of owning an HDTV is over. Here are a few thoughts regarding Cablevision.
I hope they offer a few new channels soon, although it seems like they have a lot of HD they really don't. (I don't have any of the pay channels yet, because my Optimum Double Play special is expiring this month, and I've already added the DVR box, so my bill is going up, up, up!) 721 (PBS) shows no HD content at all, and is actually a 480 signal. Why bother? Yes network is usually a blue screen. MSG is only HD when home games are on (and now a few away games). Can't they get rid of 721 and give us something like TNTHD or INHD2 or ESPN 2HD?

Oh well, my 2 cents
post #745 of 8712 Old 01-20-2006, 06:59 PM

I tell you what i dont understand is INHD...its just an ongoing advertisement for INHD2 which seems to have some decent material...aside from that its just re-airings of Boxing and UFC lol.

-J-
post #746 of 8712 Old 01-21-2006, 09:08 AM

Liked: 15
i got a new 55'' samsung plasma hooked up to a s.atlanta cablevision hdtv box with component cables... can i buy a short 3' dvi cable, plug it in and improve my picture, or is it a waste of 30/40 bucks..

thanks
post #747 of 8712 Old 01-21-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Anyone else today notice the video on MSG has more of a blue tint on white
colors and is a bit less sharp while the FSN video is more a neutral
white and sharper? Does the HD feed look more like FSN's feed?
post #748 of 8712 Old 01-21-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
MSG Looks much better now. The blue tint is gone and the video looks sharper.
post #749 of 8712 Old 01-21-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

i got a new 55'' samsung plasma hooked up to a s.atlanta cablevision hdtv box with component cables... can i buy a short 3' dvi cable, plug it in and improve my picture, or is it a waste of 30/40 bucks..

thanks

Yes, you should go that way as long as the samsung is HDCP compliant. , that would be superior to component connection. Since it is new plasma unit, it should be compatible with your SA cable box with HDMI.

You may wish to purchase at a store with refund policy, since HDMI handshaking between devices can sometimes not be compatible.

Dennis
post #750 of 8712 Old 01-22-2006, 07:38 AM

Hey there,

I bought a 46" Toshiba DLP tv back in November, and have CV's 4200HD cable box. This set has a cablecard slot on it and I just wanted to know about anybody's good/bad experiences as of late. How is working with TVGuide onScreen as well? I'd really like to change over to the card, but not if its going to cost me a lot of aggravation!

Also, is it $50 now to have an installer come out and install one of these things? According to last months bill, that appears to be the case!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page