New York, NY - Cablevision - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 8732 Old 05-05-2005, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you tune into yanks HD channel-it says all mets/yanks/red sox games are available in HD.Anybody have a clue where they are talking about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8732 Old 05-05-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 106
all home and selected away games including away Yanks vs Mets at Shea and Yanks vs Boston at Fenway.. according to Cablevision release.

post #183 of 8732 Old 05-05-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 106
all home and selected away games including away Yanks vs Mets at Shea and Yanks vs Boston at Fenway.. according to Cablevision release.

post #184 of 8732 Old 05-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

In Cablevision's earnings conference call on 5/5 CV said that they are looking into the process for adding the VOOM HD channels but don't know when it will occur. Listen for yourself:

http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/8/54688.html
(Voom is addressed at 39:50 minutes)

They also say they intend to add more HD channels this year early on in the call. Thanks to Steve from the Yahoo! Cablevision group for this info.

Dan

P4 HTPC, Infocus 4805, nVidia GeForce 6800 pixel mapped, Theater Tek 2.2, Bluegears X-Mystique 7.1 Soundcard, HK AVR-55 A/V receiver.
post #185 of 8732 Old 05-07-2005, 04:21 PM

i hope youre right dan !!

good find

Money doesnt make the man !
post #186 of 8732 Old 05-08-2005, 08:58 AM

I was Just wondering so which of the following has the best features for HD, is it Cablevision, Direct TV, or Dish Network?

I currently have Cablevision, but if any of the satellite providers has a better deal or more HD i would switch. I dont know I go to Best Buy and the same tv i have doesn't look the same. The Tv they have are connected to Direct Tv while mines is connected to IO from cablevision.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks
post #187 of 8732 Old 05-08-2005, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
CV has more HD and better picture quality> DirecTV HD is compressed to a lower resolution, and comparing the two on a large screen the dicfference is noticeable.
post #188 of 8732 Old 05-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by trailblazer
CV has more HD and better picture quality> DirecTV HD is compressed to a lower resolution, and comparing the two on a large screen the dicfference is noticeable.

I just switched from E* to Cablevision. The main reason was to get local channels in HD (well, most of them) and because you have to pay $250 to be able to lease an HD DVR from E* whereas there is no up-front fee with CV. E*'s receiver are also full of bugs. On the filp side, they now have VOOM channels (which we don't even though Cablevision owns them) and the PQ is great (but so is CV's IMO).

Dan

P4 HTPC, Infocus 4805, nVidia GeForce 6800 pixel mapped, Theater Tek 2.2, Bluegears X-Mystique 7.1 Soundcard, HK AVR-55 A/V receiver.
post #189 of 8732 Old 05-15-2005, 09:25 AM

so any rumors on new HD channels?

The latest was Yankees in HD - anything else?

thanks

Money doesnt make the man !
post #190 of 8732 Old 05-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have both CV and E* (just switched from voom). I can honestly say that E* 's 942 DVR is worlds better than the 8300 that CV offers. I thinks its worth the $250 up front to be honest.

As far as services, they both have their advantages but if E* had the HD locals I would probably switch for good because of the 942. It even gives TiVo a run for its money.

Pros:

CV - MSG, FSN and YES HD, locals in HD, more movie channels in HD, no extra fee for the HD feed if you already have the channel.

E*- Great picture, excellent DVR, more HD channels

Cons:

CV- buggy DVR, only carries the crappier INHD and not INHD2, which has all the good programming, no Voom channels

E*- No INHD 1 or 2, limited HD movie channels, only CBS HD for locals.

Combine the best of these two services and id be a happy man!
post #191 of 8732 Old 05-16-2005, 12:53 PM

Good points...anyone else notice that the Cablevision commercials are now awfully stretched to HD size on like MSG, etc.? What's up with this, and why dont they just do the same awful stretching for the other commercial too?

-J-
post #192 of 8732 Old 05-18-2005, 04:53 AM

Anyone hear anything about new HD channels? (other than YESHD)
I'm not a sports fan, so that addition of that channel didn't do much for me (although I do acknowledge the importance of it...)
I'm really still waiting on DiscoveryHD...or perhaps HDNet or even INHD2 (which I hear is EASILY better than regular INHD...)

How about the rumors that some channels from VOOM will be making their way over to us?...
post #193 of 8732 Old 05-18-2005, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 49
More HD is coming including the VOOM channels. They said so in their conference call when reporting first quarter results. They just need to figure out how they are going to do it. Some people have assumed that means they need to determine what they are going to charge.
post #194 of 8732 Old 05-18-2005, 05:12 AM

Did they actually SAY that? or is that peoples interpretation? I've got no problem paying more $$$ for more HD...(although I'm alreayd paying tons!)..
did they mention any potential dates for rollout?...
h
post #195 of 8732 Old 05-18-2005, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gzabar
Did they actually SAY that? or is that peoples interpretation? I've got no problem paying more $$$ for more HD...(although I'm alreayd paying tons!)..
did they mention any potential dates for rollout?...
h

They said more HD is coming "later this year".
They did not say they are going to charge, that is interpretation. That's why I said "some people have assumed". I think they will charge for the VOOM channels, DISH is. I have no problem paying for channels that are HD exclusive, but we should never have to pay extra for the HD version of a channel available in SD.
post #196 of 8732 Old 05-19-2005, 04:54 AM

OK...someone mentioned on other forum that he "heard" that WBHD is supposed to be coming out for IO digital. Can anyone confirm that?

also...did anyone get the new UI that was supposed to be rolled out on the 17th and 18th?
post #197 of 8732 Old 05-19-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I recently switched from DirecTV to Cablevision (I live in Stamford, CT) and have noticed that my HD picture is much worse with CV. Yet, it seems that the experience of many on this forum is that CV should be better than DTV.

Is it most people's expereince that the HD picture on CV is better than DTV?

If so, then it appears my problem is not CV but something else in my system. Recently had my scaler upgraded for 1080P capability - maybe the problem is there!

Thx!

Simon

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #198 of 8732 Old 05-20-2005, 04:38 AM

Not sure if this will help (seeing as how I've never had satellite)..but I find the picture quality outstanding....
I've got the 8300HD hooked up to a Sony KV-36HS500..that's a 36" HD-ready tube TV.
post #199 of 8732 Old 05-20-2005, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Liked: 2268
Quote:

Originally posted by ca1ore
I recently switched from DirecTV to Cablevision (I live in Stamford, CT) and have noticed that my HD picture is much worse with CV. Yet, it seems that the experience of many on this forum is that CV should be better than DTV.

Is it most people's expereince that the HD picture on CV is better than DTV?

Simon

Some of it depends on the receiver you use for both Directv and Cablevision as well as the HDTV. I use a Sony HD200 which I'm convinced gives the sharpest picture that D* is capable of. I've got an HDTivo who's picture is not as sharp as the Sony HD200 on the same Directv system.

On Cablevision I've got the SA8300 HD PVR and it's PQ is quite good. In terms of sharpness, I'd rank the D* HD picture just a bit better than Cablevision on my 50" Fujitsu plasma. Smaller screens will be less revealing and you may see no difference at all. Larger screens will be even more revealing of differences.
post #200 of 8732 Old 05-20-2005, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gzabar
OK...someone mentioned on other forum that he "heard" that WBHD is supposed to be coming out for IO digital. Can anyone confirm that?

I sent CV an email the other day requesting they add WPIX-HD and got the standard canned response.
post #201 of 8732 Old 05-20-2005, 07:31 AM

Ah, the old canned response...
got to love it!
you can probably send them hate mail, and you'd still get a response like:
Dear Customer,
Many people have asked for the "I hate Cablevision" channel, and perhaps it will be added. I'll forward this email to our ever growing pile of requests that continue to go unanswered!.
Signed,
the IO team

Sorry...couldn't resist sarcasm...
post #202 of 8732 Old 05-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

I sent this to them a while ago and got back... the canned reply :-)

Dear Mr. Cablevision,

Thank you for providing me with 16 1/2 High Definition cable channels.

High definition channels are important to me in helping me determine which provider to fork over my cash to. Although I would like to subscribe to every HDTV provider that is available, due to a limited number of dollars at my disposal, I cannot always accommodate every company. I do my best, however, to provide my money to the provider that has the widest range of HD channels.

While I do make every attempt to accommodate HDTV providers, factors such as no VOOM HD channels, no Discovery HD, no INHD2, no TNT-HD and pronounced income limitations, may limit my ability to subscribe to every provider available.

While Cablevision - Brooklyn - iO Digital Service may continue to be my HDTV provider at this time, there is a distinct possibility it may be dropped in the future.

Again, thank you for your interest in having me as an HD customer and thank you for YES-HD,

Sincerely,

Dan
Cablevision HD Customer

post #203 of 8732 Old 05-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

More HD is coming including the VOOM channels. They said so in their conference call when reporting first quarter results. They just need to figure out how they are going to do it. Some people have assumed that means they need to determine what they are going to charge.

Not exactly--- they said that more HD was coming this year, but in response to a direct question about adding Voom they said "And with regard to carrying VOOM channels, we're internally working on a process to do that but have not yet come to a conclusion on how and when we might do that."

XBL Gamertag: Robbo67
post #204 of 8732 Old 06-05-2005, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So anyone here have a new Sharp Aquos (LCxxD5U or LCxxD7u) with the builtin TV Guide (TVGOS) working with a Cablevision cablecard? I had my CableCard installed last Tuesday. The TV works fine and I successfully get all my channels, HD and SD. On Wednesday morning, the TV asked me to confirm my cable lineup (selected Cablevision digital) and then all of my cable channels appeared in the guide. But since then, I haven't gotten ANY program data downloaded. Absolutely no program info for any of the cable stations and no new program info for my OTA digital stations (which I had started getiing off the cable before the cablecard was installed).

Anyone have any clues?

Jeff
post #205 of 8732 Old 06-06-2005, 06:48 PM

Hi! Newbie here. I'm a D* subscriber, SD with D*Tivo.

Looking to take the plunge within the next year on hd. from what i've read here and on the tivo community forum, the D* picture is soooo compressed that alot ofpeople aren't happy.

I'd like to stay with them, but I'm not going to shell out $3k on hardware to get hd-lite...

I'd consider E*, but I *need* the Yes network, and the locals. I live in Mt. Olive, which is about 40 west of NYC, so I'm not sure I can get OTA.

Does E* have any plans to pick up YES soon, and how about locals?

Right now, cablevision seems like the logical choice, but something about me likes satellite, but I'm open to persuasion!!

Thanks!
goMO
post #206 of 8732 Old 06-08-2005, 12:45 PM

bump
post #207 of 8732 Old 06-10-2005, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post

So anyone here have a new Sharp Aquos (LCxxD5U or LCxxD7u) with the builtin TV Guide (TVGOS) working with a Cablevision cablecard?

Anyone? A couple of posts in another AVS forum claim this is a known issue related to Cablevision's conversion to digital based distribution of analog broadcast channels (where the TVGOS info is carried) and won't be resolved until some agreement is reached between Cablevision and Gemstar (the TVGOS provider) on how to resolve this.

Jeff
post #208 of 8732 Old 06-10-2005, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post

Anyone? A couple of posts in another AVS forum claim this is a known issue related to Cablevision's conversion to digital based distribution of analog broadcast channels (where the TVGOS info is carried) and won't be resolved until some agreement is reached between Cablevision and Gemstar (the TVGOS provider) on how to resolve this.

Jeff

My older analog CRT set with the guide plus system seems to be working fine...i imagine it gets its programming from the same place, but this is just speculation on my part.
post #209 of 8732 Old 06-15-2005, 11:37 AM

last bump - help!!
post #210 of 8732 Old 06-15-2005, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goMO View Post

last bump - help!!

I don't think you are posting in the right thread with your question since this is the NY Cablevision thread. Your question doesn't seem to have anything to do with Cablevision. Try the relevant satellite programming thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page