post #2521 of 8712 Old 07-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws192 View Post

Has a CV deal already been inked w/ Mavtv (www.mavtv.com)? When you go to the 'Email Your Provider' section (http://www.mavtv.com/pages/public_request.asp), CV isn't listed and other big operators ARE listed.

Thoughts?

Just checked out their website and hopefully no deal has been signed with them. Cablevision just added 15 channels with nothing to watch on them, we don't need another one!

Next networks added by CV should be ESPN-HD and HDnet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 8712 Old 07-15-2007, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On my bill and on the channel guide it says that there is a free preview of mlb extra innings on july 12 to july 18 but every time i put on any of the channels its says not authorized and tells me to call and order. Is anyone else having the same problem.
post #2523 of 8712 Old 07-15-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mets012792 View Post

On my bill and on the channel guide it says that there is a free preview of mlb extra innings on july 12 to july 18 but every time i put on any of the channels its says not authorized and tells me to call and order. Is anyone else having the same problem.

Last time I checked the preview was available to me.
post #2524 of 8712 Old 07-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws192 View Post

Has a CV deal already been inked w/ Mavtv (www.mavtv.com)? When you go to the 'Email Your Provider' section (http://www.mavtv.com/pages/public_request.asp), CV isn't listed and other big operators ARE listed.

Thoughts?

As a cablevision subscriber I hope not. Give me HD content I actually want to watch.
post #2525 of 8712 Old 07-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames View Post

Just checked out their website and hopefully no deal has been signed with them. Cablevision just added 15 channels with nothing to watch on them, we don't need another one!

I'll 2nd that.
post #2526 of 8712 Old 07-15-2007, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames View Post

Next networks added by CV should be ESPN-HD and HDnet.

Agree that ESPN2 and HDnet should be added, however, many of us do enjoy the variety of programming on the new VOOM stations as well. For myself, I've caught operas, soccer, the Canadian Football League, repeats of "Thunderbirds", excellent foreign films, great documentaries, monster movies from the fifties (when I was a kid) and interesting programming on video games. Even though horror flicks like "The Pit And The Pendulum" were recently shown on TCM, I've never seen a print more pristine and colorful as I did on Voom.
post #2527 of 8712 Old 07-16-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

Agree that ESPN2 and HDnet should be added

Does anybody know if there is any chance of NFLNet added to CV? Some VOOM are good and I understand they have to appeal to general viewers but need they also need to carry key things like above mentioned.

BTW, did anybody's YESHD blank out last night around? I got audio feed but no video. Thanks.
post #2528 of 8712 Old 07-16-2007, 07:22 AM

Liked: 13
[quote=fkatsumi]Does anybody know if there is any chance of NFLNet added to CV? Some VOOM are good and I understand they have to appeal to general viewers but need they also need to carry key things like above mentioned.

Not unless NFL Network changes it's mind and allows CV to put the station in the sports package. So, little to no chance. If CV was willing to not carry YES network a few years back, there's no reason for them to budge on a network that only shows a few non-regional games a year.
post #2529 of 8712 Old 07-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
What the heck no HDnet?
post #2530 of 8712 Old 07-16-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Agree that ESPN2 and HDnet should be added, however, many of us do enjoy the variety of programming on the new VOOM stations as well. For myself, I've caught operas, soccer, the Canadian Football League, repeats of "Thunderbirds", excellent foreign films, great documentaries, monster movies from the fifties (when I was a kid) and interesting programming on video games. Even though horror flicks like "The Pit And The Pendulum" were recently shown on TCM, I've never seen a print more pristine and colorful as I did on Voom.

I, for one, think that a majority of the new VOOM channels are a waste of spectrum. Take the World Sport HD channel for example. Last night, I just happened to turn on SPANISH SOCCER at about 9pm, and I watched for a few minute. I then looked up when this game happened, and it was from December of 2006! After that, a tennis match from 2004 came on! Who actually watches this stuff? The only channel the VOOM set has to offer that I somewhat enjoy is 785, the concert station, but even that dosent have enough content.
post #2531 of 8712 Old 07-16-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post

I, for one, think that a majority of the new VOOM channels are a waste of spectrum. Take the World Sport HD channel for example. Last night, I just happened to turn on SPANISH SOCCER at about 9pm, and I watched for a few minute. I then looked up when this game happened, and it was from December of 2006! After that, a tennis match from 2004 came on! Who actually watches this stuff? The only channel the VOOM set has to offer that I somewhat enjoy is 785, the concert station, but even that dosent have enough content.

Will feel the same way about MavTv, if we should get it.
post #2532 of 8712 Old 07-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Is anyone else having problems when trying to watch the free preview of mlb extra innings. when i go to any of the channels a game should be on it tells to call to order.
post #2533 of 8712 Old 07-16-2007, 04:54 PM

I called cablevision about the mlb extra innings and they told me it was a free preview online not on tv is this correct
post #2534 of 8712 Old 07-16-2007, 06:18 PM

I called cablevision for the second time and after trying to help me they found out that my area is not able to get the free preview
post #2535 of 8712 Old 07-16-2007, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I am getting the MLBEI free preview just fine. Since it's now switched digital you need an SA box to get it. The SA1850 they use in NYC might not work. The Sony boxes and cablecard will definitely not work.
post #2536 of 8712 Old 07-16-2007, 08:28 PM

I have every thing to get the free preview (SA4200) they just said it was not available in my area which does not sound right because I ask if I can purchase it where I live and they said yes. It also said on the bill so if its not available in my area it shouldn't of said that. I live on LongIsland
post #2537 of 8712 Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 536
A question for you Cablevision guys. I had Cablevision at my door today desperately trying to get me back from FIOS. They claim they've made improvements in PQ in the year + that I've been away. They say they're using a new SA box that improves PQ as well as having made changes to the system. Can anyone (particularly in the L.I. area) support this claim? I know I was at a Harvey Electronics store on L.I. and saw they had a Cablevision feed. I watched a couple of the VOOM channels and I must say I saw a fair amount of macroblocking. I can't say for sure if this was the feed or a poor distribution network within the store. It's this macroblocking that's almost totally absent from FIOS feeds.

Of course they're still missing HDNet & HDNet movies, but they've certainly improved their channel lineup.

Thanks guys.
post #2538 of 8712 Old 07-17-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

...desperately trying to get me back from FIOS. They claim they've made improvements in PQ

How desperate are they? Tell them you want it free for a month and then see for yourself. Do a side by side with the FIOS and CV.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #2539 of 8712 Old 07-17-2007, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Larry, are you with Cablevision or FIOS? If Cablevision, has their PQ improved?
post #2540 of 8712 Old 07-17-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Larry, are you with Cablevision or FIOS? If Cablevision, has their PQ improved?

No I'm TW. I was just interested in your opinion of the two.
FIOS is not yet available in my area but is rumored to be within a year.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #2541 of 8712 Old 07-18-2007, 07:23 AM

Ken,

I am relatively new to cablevision high def (a couple of months), so I can't compare it to a year ago. I am in Westchester, using the current DVR box (can't remember the number and at work). I also watch CV HD at my dad's house, who has the non-DVR box. I'll try to get the numbers. I have plasma (Pio 5070) he has an LCD (Sony 40 V-2500).

The new Voom channels, and most of the others look pretty good to excellent to my eyes, but more so at my house than at my dad's (also in Westchester). At his house, I definitely notice more pixelation/macroblocking (I believe, I am not a pro on what the the terms refer to, let's just say lower image quality). To be honest, I was beginning to wonder if the difference was due to Plasma v LCD: I thought the feed was the feed -- I didn't realize that the box could contribute to PQ if it was in "pass through" mode (i.e., not interfering/processing by upscaling/de-interlacing the signal). There is, however, definitely a difference from my house to his (and I don't mean in color/brightness/sharpness, but the presence of visual signal artifacts). I really should check out my brother's house, because he has an LCD with the same DVR box that I have.

As I have mentioned previously, I was ready to pull the trigger on FIOS, now I am wait-and-see. CV appears to be making an effort to broaden and improve service. They haven't turned me into a fan, but they have bought themselves breathing space, especially with Verizon dragging its toes on Fios TV availability in my region.

Eventually (probably this fall) I'll be switching to cable-card on Tivo Series 3 box, which will be an interesting comparison.

Tim
post #2542 of 8712 Old 07-18-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk147 View Post

Ken,

I am relatively new to cablevision high def (a couple of months), so I can't compare it to a year ago. I am in Westchester, using the current DVR box (can't remember the number and at work). I also watch CV HD at my dad's house, who has the non-DVR box. I'll try to get the numbers. I have plasma (Pio 5070) he has an LCD (Sony 40 V-2500).

The new Voom channels, and most of the others look pretty good to excellent to my eyes, but more so at my house than at my dad's (also in Westchester). At his house, I definitely notice more pixelation/macroblocking (I believe, I am not a pro on what the the terms refer to, let's just say lower image quality). To be honest, I was beginning to wonder if the difference was due to Plasma v LCD: I thought the feed was the feed -- I didn't realize that the box could contribute to PQ if it was in "pass through" mode (i.e., not interfering/processing by upscaling/de-interlacing the signal). There is, however, definitely a difference from my house to his (and I don't mean in color/brightness/sharpness, but the presence of visual signal artifacts). I really should check out my brother's house, because he has an LCD with the same DVR box that I have.

As I have mentioned previously, I was ready to pull the trigger on FIOS, now I am wait-and-see. CV appears to be making an effort to broaden and improve service. They haven't turned me into a fan, but they have bought themselves breathing space, especially with Verizon dragging its toes on Fios TV availability in my region.

Eventually (probably this fall) I'll be switching to cable-card on Tivo Series 3 box, which will be an interesting comparison.

I noticed definite improvement in HD quality when switching from the basic HD Box to the HD-DVR (SA 8400). I have the Sony KD34XBR960 and also keep the DVR's picture output to "pass through" so all upconverting for standard definition is done by the set (TVs cannot upconvert 480p signals). The same is true for my DVD recorder (kept at 480i instead at 480p). Of course, each set is different so some won't upconvert as well as others (or even at all).
post #2543 of 8712 Old 07-18-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:

I noticed definite improvement in HD quality when switching from the basic HD Box to the HD-DVR (SA 8400).

There is a model 8400 now? When did that come out?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. - Frank Zappa
post #2544 of 8712 Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post

There is a model 8400 now? When did that come out?

Typo on my part - it's the 8300. Sorry.
post #2545 of 8712 Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Unless you need the Voom channels, MSG HD, FSN HD, or a sports package (e.g., Center Ice), why would anyone choose CV over Verizon? This is meant as a serious question, not a slam against CV. Verizon just seems to have advantages in many areas.

I just moved to NY, so I don't have either provider yet. I'm just looking for more information.
post #2546 of 8712 Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk147 View Post

I wouldn't be to quick with that. TIVO S3 can't do two way communication so you could miss out on a lot off channels as CV moves to more switched digital video.
post #2547 of 8712 Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Typo on my part - it's the 8300. Sorry.

Hmm, so I wonder what the new HD PVR he was talking about was? Quite possibly just sales B.S. since I had that same SA 8300 over a year ago.
post #2548 of 8712 Old 07-18-2007, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post

Unless you need the Voom channels, MSG HD, FSN HD, or a sports package (e.g., Center Ice), why would anyone choose CV over Verizon? This is meant as a serious question, not a slam against CV. Verizon just seems to have advantages in many areas.

I just moved to NY, so I don't have either provider yet. I'm just looking for more information.

According to the advertisments, CV is the only local provider that offers HD at no extra charge. CV began adding more stations as FIOS was expanding it's market, but if you look back a few pages you'll see that CV is planning to add even more HD stations in September.
post #2549 of 8712 Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, so I wonder what the new HD PVR he was talking about was? Quite possibly just sales B.S. since I had that same SA 8300 over a year ago.

one can only hope it is the multi-room version...
post #2550 of 8712 Old 07-19-2007, 05:04 AM

It blows my mind that in the hyper-competitive world of entertainment programming (especially now that FiOS is breathing down their neck), Cablevision hasn't stepped up to the plate and provided support for the Multi-room STB (a feature my first pre-TiVo, Replay TV unit had). But thhen again, they don't even offically support eSATA, so why am I not surprised?

Maybe this new FCC ruling, which went into effect July 1st, will help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003761243_btcablebox25.html View Post

CHICAGO On the gizmo glamour scale, the TV set-top box is a bit of a frump something the cable company dumps on the doorstep, not the quarry of a shopping spree at Best Buy.

But starting Sunday, a new federal rule goes into effect that's aimed at creating a retail market for set-top boxes and fostering more competition and innovation in a business dominated by Motorola and one other company.

If I can buy a Sony or TiVo STB at retail, then I can do what I want with my home network and the cable company will have their security on an M-Card in the back.

It is ridiculous to me that, in 2007 I can't plug an Ethernet cable intto my STBs and watch content I legally recorded on the DVR room-to-room.

Last night was a good exampple. I came home and my 19 year old daughter had some friends over in the family room with the SA8300 (attached to a Sony SXRD 50" HDTV) in it, and they wanted some hang time without dear old dad in the room.

So I went up to my room, where I have another SA8300 attached to a nice 32" Westinghouse LCD HDTV. I wanted to watch this week's Big Love I recorded on Monday night. It would have been nice to just stream it off of the famiy room's DVR, but no.

What good is having a house wired (and wireless'd) for ethernet and internet, and knowing that Scientific Atlanta makes a multi-room DVR STB, if the local cable company doesn't support it?

ARGGGGHHHH.

-g

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. - Frank Zappa
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page