Minneapolis, MN - OTA - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #3151 of 3181 Old 08-01-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 73
can you post your tvfool? That will help us determine what we're working with in regards if you have line of site to the towers or if there are obstructions.

www.tvfool.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3181 Old 08-01-2017, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
can you post your tvfool? That will help us determine what we're working with in regards if you have line of site to the towers or if there are obstructions.

www.tvfool.com
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a40d8a47a74a

If there's anything else I need, just let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
post #3153 of 3181 Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Minneapolis, MN - OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Curren View Post
...If there's anything else I need, just let me know...
What feedline are you using and how long is the run? Is it RG-6 or better? Or is it just RG59?

post #3154 of 3181 Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
What feedline are you using and how long is the run? Is it RG-6 or better? Or is it just RG59?
RG6 with a 75 ft run down into the basement. The run I had at my old house was much longer.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
post #3155 of 3181 Old 08-11-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bye Bye My29.....hello Fox 9+

FOX has been doing this in other areas where they own both the FOX & MY affiliates...changing the non FOX moniker to FOX _ +

They still have My29 commercials but saw a Judge Judy one that said "Fox 9 Plus" and they now ID as "WFTC FOX 9+ Minneapolis/St Paul"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170811_175508_136.jpg (1.08 MB, 40 views)
post #3156 of 3181 Old 08-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Help, I need to pick up this station, antenna recommendation help please

Here is my TV fool report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a40703ca1ab9
I need to pick up channel 48.1 so I am looking for a great long range antenna that can have the best chance at picking it up.
I was about to pull the trigger on the Dennys hd stacker, but I found enough negative comments scattered around the forums to make me go the extra step and ask for recommendations.
The antenna will be placed about 25-30 feet high, will have about 25 feet of coax between it and tv.
Please let me know any recommendations to give me the best possibility to get the fox station 48.1 out of chippewa falls Wisconsin. I truly appreciate any and all help!
post #3157 of 3181 Old 08-14-2017, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 130
If you're focusing on that specific station and ignoring everything else (sounds like NFL fever), the best bet would be the DB8e. WEUX currently operates on UHF 49 and is moving to UHF 14 in about 18 months. The DB8e is about as future-proof as you can get for coverage at both ends of the UHF band of all the UHF antennas on the market that have public performance data. The "stacker" has no published data and Denny won't release any so anyone's guess about its performance is just a guess. If you want to build your own, there are a couple of great designs floating around.

Note that WEUX has a very directional null in your direction (http://www.rabbitears.info/pattern.p...ion=0&erp=1000) and less than 5% of its transmitting power is sent in your direction. At your distance, it's going to be a long shot as to whether or not you will be able to pick it up reliably. A low noise, high signal input pre-amp is also recommended.
post #3158 of 3181 Old 08-14-2017, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 2428
Moved to Minneapolis thread. Redirect link left in Technical.

>>> Antenna help: Please start with your city's thread in the LOCAL RECEPTION sec 1st

Also helps if you use call letters rather than virtual channel numbers.

@ProjectSHO89 is right. And, for the moment, you have interference from another LP station on 49 in the other direction. Difficult endeavor at only 25 feet.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 08-14-2017 at 04:49 AM.
post #3159 of 3181 Old 08-14-2017, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
If you're focusing on that specific station and ignoring everything else (sounds like NFL fever), the best bet would be the DB8e. WEUX currently operates on UHF 49 and is moving to UHF 14 in about 18 months. The DB8e is about as future-proof as you can get for coverage at both ends of the UHF band of all the UHF antennas on the market that have public performance data. The "stacker" has no published data and Denny won't release any so anyone's guess about its performance is just a guess. If you want to build your own, there are a couple of great designs floating around.

Note that WEUX has a very directional null in your direction (http://www.rabbitears.info/pattern.p...ion=0&erp=1000) and less than 5% of its transmitting power is sent in your direction. At your distance, it's going to be a long shot as to whether or not you will be able to pick it up reliably. A low noise, high signal input pre-amp is also recommended.
Thank you so much for the recommendations!
Would I be better off trying to pick up WLAX out of lacrosse? Or is this a fruitless endeavor?
Would the rca tvpramp1z be a good preamp to use or would you recommend a different one?
post #3160 of 3181 Old 08-14-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The LP station in the other direction is presently not built or, at least, they haven't filed an LTC app with the FCC. It's one of DTV America's "legal license leapfrog" projects that was last in the Rochester area. I have no idea of its present circumstances. Even when or if it comes online, it's only putting 15 watts in the direction of Stillwater.

Quote:
Would I be better off trying to pick up WLAX out of lacrosse?
No.

Quote:
Or is this a fruitless endeavor?
You didn't tell us what fruit you were looking for or why FOX out of MSP isn't good enough.

I wouldn't recommend that amp to anyone who isn't on a severely constrained budget. Even then, you might as well buy two of them based on other forum postings. The CM7778 (not the 7777 or the 7777HD) or the Antennas Direct Juice would both be suggested as options. Both have decent enough noise figures and aren't easy to overload.
post #3161 of 3181 Old 08-14-2017, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
The LP station in the other direction is presently not built or, at least, they haven't filed an LTC app with the FCC. It's one of DTV America's "legal license leapfrog" projects that was last in the Rochester area. I have no idea of its present circumstances. Even when or if it comes online, it's only putting 15 watts in the direction of Stillwater.

Quote:
Would I be better off trying to pick up WLAX out of lacrosse?
No.

Quote:
Or is this a fruitless endeavor?
You didn't tell us what fruit you were looking for or why FOX out of MSP isn't good enough.

I wouldn't recommend that amp to anyone who isn't on a severely constrained budget. Even then, you might as well buy two of them based on other forum postings. The CM7778 (not the 7777 or the 7777HD) or the Antennas Direct Juice would both be suggested as options. Both have decent enough noise figures and aren't easy to overload.
Sorry, I neglected to post the objective. I'm trying to watch live over the air green Bay packer games. Seems crazy that I'm just a stones throw away from Wisconsin and it may be impossible to accomplish.
post #3162 of 3181 Old 08-15-2017, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The 41 dBu service contour for this station shows Stillwater at the edge of it:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/map-...090331ACJ&.map

I realize that this is probably optimistic, though. But there it is.

Val
post #3163 of 3181 Old 08-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
Sorry, I neglected to post the objective. I'm trying to watch live over the air green Bay packer games. Seems crazy that I'm just a stones throw away from Wisconsin and it may be impossible to accomplish.
Well, you shouldn't have any issues until week 7. That's the first time GB is up against a Vikings home game and on a single-header network. The rest of the time, GB is a lone late game on the double-header network or a national game on one of the weeknights. Even in week two, the odds are good you'll get the Green Bay-Bengals game and not the KC-LAC matchup.
Week 8's a bye week
Week 9's a national game
Weeks 10 and 11, you're hosed
Week 12's a national game
Week 13's no good for you
Week 14 might be okay as Green Bay plays on the double-header network and Minnesota's away
Week 15's out
Week 16 is a national game
Week 17's out.

www.506sports.com will help you figure it out.

So, by my count, that's six games you definitely won't get. If you get Sunday Ticket, that works out to $47 per game where you need it. For the same price, you can find a Packers sports bar and let someone else bring you beer and clean up afterwards.

I've a feeling at 25 feet, nothing you can put up is going to grab Eau Claire terribly well, and any weather front or atmospheric activity could make viewing choppy. Now, erect a 50-foot tower and rig up a twin yagi array and you might be good to go.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3164 of 3181 Old 08-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What, If Anything, Would Cause You To Abandoned Over The Air Reception?

As posted above, I am just curious what, if anything, would cause you to quit receiving over the air television? For example, if you moved further away, but where still withing range of Minneapolis-Saint Paul over the air channels, would you build a tower?

Conversely, if you moved closer, but were in say an apartment that included local cable channels, would you still install an indoor antenna?

I don't think that anybody here knows we well enough to know that I am an amateur radio operator. I got my Novice and Technician a number of years ago. A few years later I was motivated and did the General, Advanced and Amateur Extra. I even got my GROL. I love receiving over the air signals of all sorts.

However, since we are DirecTV Now customers, they have local channels KSTP-5 and KMSP-9. I received an email recently stating they are getting WCCO-4 soon. There has been no word on KARE-11, though. Granted, there are a LOT of other channels that are broadcast in ATSC locally.

At the end of the day, most of our local channel viewing would be my wife and I. We have two sons, aged 17 and 21 years old. To be perfectly honest, or shall I say brutally honest, they could care less about OTA channels. Most of the local channel viewing by my wife and I would be 4.1, 5.1, 9.1, and 11.1. Don't get me wrong. I think having the extra content on .2, etc is great. It is just that at the end of the day, we don't watch them much.

Netflix for my wife and kids. Direc TV Now for me. My wife uses the heck out of the TiVo Roamio OTA. I view via the Tivo Mini. But, despite all of that, it is getting to the point that I am getting more and more reluctant to recommend to others that they put a lot of time and effort into an OTA antenna system, unless they really have a "fire in their belly" for it.

There are so many people afraid to install an antenna outside. (And, in the interest of fair disclosure, I do have an indoor antenna in the attic above my attached garage, and it works great for me.)

Oh, and I should add that some things I am a bit slow to move away from. We were DISH Network subscribers for about 22 years. Heck, we even had Primestar back in the day, but few people might remember them these days.

We still had a land line telephone until a year or so ago. With all four of us having cells phones, it seemed like a waste of money, so we quit that.

I used to get a daily newspaper, but it went largely unread, so I quit that.

The next thing might be to cut DSL from Frontier for internet and get by with my $20 per month AT&T hot spot. I have been dragging my feet for a while of this, but at some point it will be, "Goodbye, Frontier!"

I should also point out that as neat as broadcast radio is, I rarely listen to is much. I even have a couple of HD radios around hear. They don't even get used much.

Oh, and analog ham radio repeaters, sure I use one a little bit, but DMR, YSF, and Icom D-Star has really taken off.

I also am a scanner and reciver owner. I listen to very few analog signals any longer. Much/most of what I listen to is on ARMER and I listen to that on a Unication receiver. It works SO much better than cheap Bearcat/Radio Shack/Uniden/Whistler scanners!

Anyway, I will get off my soapbox now and just say that I hope ATSC 3.0 is more user friendly.

Last edited by Jim1348; 08-15-2017 at 04:30 PM.
post #3165 of 3181 Old 08-16-2017, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 270
We dropped our landline a couple years ago.....and wish we had done it years earlier! The only reason I kept it was for my dial-up Tivo, all my Tivos are now networked. We are sooo close to canceling the Sunday paper. On our block, only us and our neighbor seem to get it anymore, with the dropping of the TV guide several years ago and now grocers like Cub no longer putting their ad in the Sunday paper(they are now only going to be available in the free Redplum ad insert that comes in the mail) and the fact that it mostly goes unread, I'm seriously thinking of dropping the paper. We don't have pay TV but do subscribe to Comcast's internet only. We'd probably have DSL internet only, but in my market 1M is the best Centrylink can offer We do subscribe to Netflix, streaming only.
The only time I listen to the radio is during my commute and even then I seem to spend most of the time pushing buttons to actually find one playing music, oh and I probably haven't purchased a CD or DVD/BD in 5?? years! I haven't fired up my Kenwood shortwave in 15?? years, I used to fire it up twice/year to tune WWV and synch my clocks, I now use my computer. Yes, the times, they are a changing.....
post #3166 of 3181 Old 08-16-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As posted above, I am just curious what, if anything, would cause you to quit receiving over the air television? For example, if you moved further away, but where still withing range of Minneapolis-Saint Paul over the air channels, would you build a tower?
When I moved from suburban Minneapolis (by Mystic Lake) to the lake house (North End of Mille Lacs) I ended up setting up two systems. One for "local" stations and one for DX/Minneapolis. The "local" setup consisted of a VHF only antenna aimed NW (for KCCW CBS) and a XG91 aimed west and peaked for the Brainerd translator of KMSP (FOX, My, Movies!). KAWB (PBS) came in fine even 15 degrees off and the analog KSAX translator is on same tower as KMSP. Also got KPXM Ion. So I went without NBC. My "DX" setup was a 8 bay aimed south for Minneapolis which was 93 milesa away. It came in at night but during the day it was kaput. I also had a rotor on it for dxing or for KSAX (the actual in Alex) for ABC when the Brainerd translator crapped out.
If I wanted to know about Duluth I'd spin it NW to get the analog Aitkin translator of KQDS FOX Duluth

Quote:
Conversely, if you moved closer, but were in say an apartment that included local cable channels, would you still install an indoor antenna?
currently now in an apartment in suburban Minneapolis and while we have lifeline included in the rent I do not subscribe to it due to the $7 monthly "broadcast fee" that Comcast charges. I have 2 antennas (a HBU22 and a 2 bay) in various spots on my 2nd story deck. Whats weird is the HBU22 is 10 feet up from the deck floor and it works great but sometimes I have issues with 5-1 & 45 (5-2) staying stable. Yet the 2 bay that is mounted about 8 inches from the floor facing a post gets those signals great along with most of the others. Have 2 Tivos with lifetime on both

Quote:
There are so many people afraid to install an antenna outside. (And, in the interest of fair disclosure, I do have an indoor antenna in the attic above my attached garage, and it works great for me.)
agreed

Quote:
Oh, and I should add that some things I am a bit slow to move away from. We were DISH Network subscribers for about 22 years. Heck, we even had Primestar back in the day, but few people might remember them these days.
We had a C-Band dish at the lake house until the lake eroded it away and the dish fell in the lake
I sold Primestar for Radio Shack back in 96-97 in Shakopee. Sold a ton of them to the Spanish folks with 5 simple words "Univision 24 hour a day". At the time Paragon Cable had it only 12 hours (6a-6p) then it became PPV.
I've had all 4 (current) DBS providers when I had my house. Dish, Directv, Bell and StarChoice (the last 2 are Canadian systems). Also had C-Band and FTA at the house. Yeah my neighbors hated me with all the dishes and antennas I had installed.

Quote:
We still had a land line telephone until a year or so ago. With all four of us having cells phones, it seemed like a waste of money, so we quit that.
Havent had a landline since you could port your landline to a cell phone. That was....2004 I think

Quote:
The next thing might be to cut DSL from Frontier for internet and get by with my $20 per month AT&T hot spot. I have been dragging my feet for a while of this, but at some point it will be, "Goodbye, Frontier!"
I keep my DSL (10mb but could upgrade to 25mb but wont...I own my modem...25mb requires new modem) because I do watch stuff via my roku

sorry to get off topic
post #3167 of 3181 Old 08-31-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just saw this note on my Mediacom Internet bill today, so it looks like OTA Ch 2.5 will go HD soon.
"KTCA will upgrade KTCA TPT Wx on channel 101 to a high definition format on September 19th."
post #3168 of 3181 Old 09-01-2017, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotomn View Post
Just saw this note on my Mediacom Internet bill today, so it looks like OTA Ch 2.5 will go HD soon.
"KTCA will upgrade KTCA TPT Wx on channel 101 to a high definition format on September 19th."
That means KTCA would have three HD subchannels.

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #3169 of 3181 Old 09-01-2017, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
Don't tell ME they don't have any money!
post #3170 of 3181 Old 09-02-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
nope they will only have two. KTCA (2-1) and KTCI (2-3) are the main stations
KTCA has 2 subs (Kids and WX) on RF34
KTCI has 1 sub (MN channel) on RF23
post #3171 of 3181 Old 09-02-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looking ahead I see that My29 errrr FOX 9+ is pushing "network programming" back 2 hours from the "stock time"
in simpler terms...the My Network programming starting the 11th goes to 9-11pm

per zap2it
7:00 Dish Nation
7:30 Access Hollywood
8:00 Top30
8:30 TMZ
9:00 My Network programming

I know FOX9+ on the 18th will start having a 7pm news so replace DN with news :0
post #3172 of 3181 Old 09-03-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

no more Bemidji State Hockey on the MN channel (or Lakeland PBS for that matter)

http://www.bsubeavers.com/mhockey/ne...ing-agreement/

Tracy Dill, director of athletics at Bemidji State University, today announced a new broadcasting partnership with the university’s Department of Integrated Media that will deliver more than 100 Beaver Athletics events to a worldwide audience beginning this fall.

The live productions will put BSU students at the center of the broadcasts, providing hands-on learning. In addition to home football and men’s and women’s basketball games, which the Department of Integrated Media has presented on KBSU TV-17 for more than 15 years, the department is now the official broadcast home for Beaver men’s and women’s hockey, baseball, softball and soccer.

later in the article
Lakeland Public Television, BSU’s live television broadcasting partner since 2010, announced June 14 that it will not continue to carry BSU men’s and women’s hockey.
post #3173 of 3181 Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
need help on antenna recco for Prior Lake. townhome so probably inside or attic antenna

and i also have a projector in mancave, looking for a tuner setup for local channels.

thanks!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4a08f959c77
post #3174 of 3181 Old 09-15-2017, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #3175 of 3181 Old 09-16-2017, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Staying with the $30 theme, for a tuner you may want to look at the TERK TUNVR1. Website is http://www.terk.com/tv-tuner

Frys has it on sale frequently for $30 via promo codes. http://www.frys.com/product/9101468

It has HDMI and composite outputs. There is audio on the HDMI output.

DVR via a pen or hard drive connected to the USB 3 port. The bit rate of the mts file seems to be dependent on the channel. I have no way of telling if it is the actual bit rate of the channel being recorded.

I have found the tuner sensitivity is comparable to the DTV converter boxes I have (Digital Stream DTX9950, Zenith DTT901 and Dish DTVPal).

The remote is a bit hokey. I taught a One For All OARI06G universal remote instead.

Also the signal meter goes to 0 once it reaches around 40%. I.e. it only reads 40% and up. Apparently no meter when there is no signal. Makes it difficult to aim the antenna without knowing how close your aim is. DTVPal is similar. I use the DTX9950 instead to aim the antenna.

I have the Terk hooked up to an Acer H236HL monitor. Audio to powered PC speakers. This is my first foray into HDTV, so it looks good to me. I do not have a flat screen TV. It will probably be quite a few years before I do.
mattdp likes this.
post #3176 of 3181 Old 09-17-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just moved from an apartment in New Hope to a house in Plymouth. Put an OTA setup above the garage - Two Stellar Labs 91 element UHF antennas (30-2370) 90 degrees apart (one aimed at Big Lake, the other at Arden Hills/Shoreview/IDS/Campbell Mithum). Both run into a 2-way splitter, then into the UHF side of a UVSJ, with a Stellar Labs 30-2475 feeding the VHF side. The UVSJ runs to an Arris BDA-42-PR-R 15dB drop amp, which feeds the house. 24x7 reliability on all channels.

It appears that 48 (KHVM-LD) and 50 (KTCJ-LD) are off the air. They are in Arden Hills on the same tower as 62 (WDMI-LD) (the one a little west of the Shoreview towers, just north of 694). I get an SNR 23dB on 62, but after trying with four different tuners, I get absolutely nothing from those two. My tuner meters show "no signal" and my spectrum analyzer shows nothing above the noise floor. Anyone know how long they've been off?

Matt, KEØMNG

Northern Antenna Systems
post #3177 of 3181 Old 09-18-2017, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Stadium - New 24/7 Over-the-Air Sports Network

Hopefully we'll see Stadium in the Twin Cities market soon;
https://watchstadium.com/where-to-watch/
post #3178 of 3181 Old 09-18-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotomn View Post
Hopefully we'll see Stadium in the Twin Cities market soon;
https://watchstadium.com/where-to-watch/
Looks it's on select Sinclair channels, can't remember if we have a Sinclair channel in our market but regardless MSP is not listed and probably the closest market would be Madison WI, a long shot for anyone in MN
post #3179 of 3181 Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Looks it's on select Sinclair channels, can't remember if we have a Sinclair channel in our market but regardless MSP is not listed and probably the closest market would be Madison WI, a long shot for anyone in MN
WUCW 23 is Sinclair owned in MPLS/STP. They could add it, or DTV America KJNK 25 or KMBD 43 could add it. As I've seen many DTV America affiliates have added Stadium. So there is options in MPLS/STP for it to be picked up.
post #3180 of 3181 Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I dont see Sinclair adding it. They are pretty much maxed out on WUCW. If DTV adds it hopefully it goes on KJNK as KMBD I cant get until the leaves fall off the trees

I just watch it on my roku via pluto tv
(or you can watch it on the computer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page