Minneapolis, MN - OTA - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #3181 of 3198 Old 09-20-2017, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotomn View Post
Just saw this note on my Mediacom Internet bill today, so it looks like OTA Ch 2.5 will go HD soon.
"KTCA will upgrade KTCA TPT Wx on channel 101 to a high definition format on September 19th."
still 480i widescreen OTA as of this post (9/20 22:42)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3198 Old 09-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotomn View Post
Just saw this note on my Mediacom Internet bill today, so it looks like OTA Ch 2.5 will go HD soon.
"KTCA will upgrade KTCA TPT Wx on channel 101 to a high definition format on September 19th."
Just went HD this afternoon.
post #3183 of 3198 Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
FOX 9 is on UHF and VHF. RF29 has FOX HD (9-1), My HD (9-2) and Movies! (9-3). RF9 has Buzzr (9-4) and FOX (9-9)

What antenna are you using right now? If its UHF only I would recommend a VHF add on. Something like this
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2476-/30-2476

or the little brother
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2475-/30-2475

This combiner
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...0-901D4B9B35F1
you can use to combine both before the pre-amp
those look like some fantastic products for great prices! I have always been a fan of the folded dipole driven element design.

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D

post #3184 of 3198 Old 09-26-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob10 View Post
Just went HD this afternoon.
I see they updated it completely including a new name
TPTNOW

It looks completely different and doesnt have the weather radio as the background. Its now classical music. They have updated screens with a news scrolling bar and different areas for weather.
Its kinda cool
post #3185 of 3198 Old 09-26-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
I see they updated it completely including a new name
TPTNOW

It looks completely different and doesnt have the weather radio as the background. Its now classical music. They have updated screens with a news scrolling bar and different areas for weather.
Its kinda cool
Agree, kind of miss the limited range computer generated voice of KEC65 though especially the way it pronounced "K-louw-dee"
Much more professional looking now.
post #3186 of 3198 Old 09-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Agree, kind of miss the limited range computer generated voice of KEC65 though especially the way it pronounced "K-louw-dee"
Much more professional looking now.
you could always tune in 162.55 to hear that voice.
post #3187 of 3198 Old 09-27-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder View Post
on my little cube weather radio, with the awful sounding audio, matches the station's audio quality just right....
Actually, I haven't fired it up in more than a decade, wonder if it still works....
post #3188 of 3198 Old 10-01-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
funny is in Chaska I have to rely on the 162.425 frequency from Norwood
162.550 is not as clear
post #3189 of 3198 Old 10-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
funny is in Chaska I have to rely on the 162.425 frequency from Norwood
162.550 is not as clear
162.55 transmits from the KSTP transmitter tower in Midway.

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
post #3190 of 3198 Old 10-02-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
162.55 transmits from the KSTP transmitter tower in Midway.
yup. Its weird as one of my wxradios can pick it up fine but my other one (a newer one) has issues picking it up clearly indoors
post #3191 of 3198 Old 10-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Followup on the Terk TUNVR1

As I have done some recordings to an external hard drive, I see different bit rates in the recording mts files.

Recently had a rare good reception day and picked up all the Twin Cities stations, even St. Cloud ION. (My antenna is aimed at La Crosse for the Packers so the Twin Cities is off the side.)

Did some 30 second recordings of the HD channels. Ran MediaInfo against the mts files.

I don't have the ability to see a channel bit rate, so have no idea if the bit rates of the recordings match the transmissions. The Terk is my first PVR/DVR.

Just have the MediaInfo video information in the attached file, it is sorted by virtual channel number.

Those of you who can see a channel bit rate with other equipment maybe can tell if the recording bit rate corresponds to the transmission.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Twin Cities HD Stations.txt (25.9 KB, 26 views)
post #3192 of 3198 Old 10-10-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachmn View Post

I don't have the ability to see a channel bit rate, so have no idea if the bit rates of the recordings match the transmissions. The Terk is my first PVR/DVR.
These HD DVRs just record the data stream, they don't do any compression or re-encoding. Therefore whatever is broadcast is what is recorded. Some channels like CBS in our market uses almost the whole bandwidth for their CBS HD channel, other channels like FOX uses 3/4th?? of the potential bandwidth, other channels like our ABC channel is lucky to use 1/2 their bandwidth for their HD channel and the other half goes towards their various SD channels and possibly even the basically defunct MDTV channels. Because of this, a 1hr HD program will vary in size from 5+GBs with CBS to under 3GBs for our ABC channel and could be lower than 1GB for the SD channels.
post #3193 of 3198 Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That's what I thought, but wanted to get confirmation. (It's a curiosity thing) Interesting that the maximum bit rates are generally (way) above the channel capacity. 80.0 Mb/s for WCCO, KARE and ION??? Not sure why they do that.

Just run the recorded data stream back through the decoder when playing back a recording.

I assume this is the same for the pizza dish satellite receivers that have a DVR.

Interesting that the KSTP bit rate is up there. They were berated here for awful picture quality because of bits being siphoned off for the mobile service in the past. I had no way of telling, before the Terk it was a DTV converter on a 20 inch Sony from 10 feet away.
post #3194 of 3198 Old Today, 11:19 AM

Just curious for someone who might know.
I was at a friends house in MSP and noticed they had a channel called PioneerTV, this was on DirecTV. I found TPT2 but couldn't find any other sub channels of PBS. I looked up PioneerTV online and it looks like it comes out of Appleton MN and is carried on several smaller channels but none available to me in MSP via OTA. It looked like there were several OTA channels under the Pioneer name, including:

10.1 the main Pioneer channel I found on DirecTV but not OTA in MSP.
10.2 Pioneer Create, another channel unavailable OTA in MSP.
10.3 Pioneer MN, seems to be basically like the MN channel OTA in MSP.
10.4 Pioneer World, another channel unavailable OTA in MSP.
10.5 Pioneer Kids, seems to be basically like the TPT Kids channel OTA in MSP.

My question is this, why does a small market like Appleton(although the 10.x channels according to RabbitEars is broadcast out of Alex.....) have several PBS channels we can't get in MSP? I seem to remember PBS World and even Create a few years ago but not lately.
post #3195 of 3198 Old Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just curious for someone who might know.
I was at a friends house in MSP and noticed they had a channel called PioneerTV, this was on DirecTV. I found TPT2 but couldn't find any other sub channels of PBS. I looked up PioneerTV online and it looks like it comes out of Appleton MN and is carried on several smaller channels but none available to me in MSP via OTA.
It wouldnt be OTA here in Minneapolis as our PBS is KTCA. The reason KWCM (Pioneer) and KAWB (Lakeland PBS Bemidji) is carried on satellite is because those areas are still considered the Minneapolis market (DMA)...therefore satellite subs get 4 PBS stations (KTCA, KTCI, KAWB, KWCM). Directv also gives them MN channel which is labelled 17-2.

Quote:
It looked like there were several OTA channels under the Pioneer name, including:

10.1 the main Pioneer channel I found on DirecTV but not OTA in MSP.
10.2 Pioneer Create, another channel unavailable OTA in MSP.
10.3 Pioneer MN, seems to be basically like the MN channel OTA in MSP.
10.4 Pioneer World, another channel unavailable OTA in MSP.
10.5 Pioneer Kids, seems to be basically like the TPT Kids channel OTA in MSP.

My question is this, why does a small market like Appleton(although the 10.x channels according to RabbitEars is broadcast out of Alex.....) have several PBS channels we can't get in MSP? I seem to remember PBS World and even Create a few years ago but not lately.
The station is licensed to Appleton and their tower is a few miles SE of town. They are considered the PBS station for West Central/SW MN and is carried on cable instead of KTCA. They have a satellite station KSMN in Worthington and carried on Sioux Falls locals on satellite. They have a translator in Fergus Falls too.
10.3 Pioneer MN is the same thing as MN channel here. All PBS stations in MN and ironically ND carry MN channel.
10.5 Kids is the same feed as what we get but its in SD there

10.1 is their PBS feed. Other than few local shows its pretty much the same as KTCA
10.2 Create and 10.4 World are options they decided to carry. Up on the Big Dish (6 foot and larger) PBS provides the following stations for affiliates
-PBS East and West (national feed)...obviously they can pre-empt programs with their own programming
-PBS Kids in HD
-Create in SD
-World in SD
-First Nations Experience

TPT decided not to carry the full Create feed and instead picks and chooses programs. As for World.....alot of the programs are either reruns or items we get on KTCI already. I'm shocked TPT doesnt carry FNX here. I've seen it OTA on KAWB Brainerd and its pretty interesting.

Alot of markets carry either World or PBS Encore. Some are mixed with say Create part of the time and Encore the other. I assume TPT considers KTCI as "PBS Encore"

Last edited by unclehonkey; Today at 01:11 PM.
post #3196 of 3198 Old Today, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interestingly enough we are the only PBS in MN to NOT have Create as a sub

Duluth carries it (world/encore on -2, create -3, MN on -4)
Austin/Rochester carries it (MHZ Worldview on -2, Create -3, MN -4)
Bemidji/Brainerd carries it (FNX -2, Kids -3, Create -4, Encore -5, MN -6)
Appleton/Worthington does (hence the reason of the post)

NW MN that gets the Fargo/GF stations its not carried
Iowa PBS has it for 19 hours a day (10pm-5pm)....PBSKids local is carried between 5-10pm (they do not have the 24/7 Kids station yet)
Wisco PBS does carry it for those close to the border
post #3197 of 3198 Old Today, 02:15 PM

Quote:
10.3 Pioneer MN is the same thing as MN channel here. All PBS stations in MN and ironically ND carry MN channel.
10.5 Kids is the same feed as what we get but its in SD there
Thanks for the lowdown on PBS in MN.
I agree with the .5 Kids being exactly the same as TPT Kids but Pioneer MN is not the same as TPTs MN channel. Its schedule is totally different(although the program may air on both) than the MN channel and the Pioneer channel has quite a few local programs, not available on the TPT MN channel
Oh, you might know, but does Alex really have the NASA channel OTA? RabbitEars has it on channel 48, thats kind of cool
post #3198 of 3198 Old Today, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Thanks for the lowdown on PBS in MN.
I agree with the .5 Kids being exactly the same as TPT Kids but Pioneer MN is not the same as TPTs MN channel. Its schedule is totally different(although the program may air on both) than the MN channel and the Pioneer channel has quite a few local programs, not available on the TPT MN channel
You must be looking at something different because the schedule is identical for TPT MN and Pioneer MN
Maybe you mean the PBS schedule?

Quote:
Oh, you might know, but does Alex really have the NASA channel OTA? RabbitEars has it on channel 48, thats kind of cool
yes it does
http://selectivetv.org/channel-line-up/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page