post #541 of 2315 Old 12-18-2009, 11:24 AM

Location: Eagan, MN, southern suburb of St. Paul, 16mi from TV Towers
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder View Post

As for cable, it went up with a new piece of RG6. It runs through a line aprox 30' to get down off the roof, into a 2 way splitter, and into another 30-40' of RG6 to get to the tv. The line out from the splitter is maybe 2 years old.

I would do a quick and dirty test of just connecting your TV directly to your new cable. If you have a good signal, then job done, replace connectors with more appropriate ones for digital TV (some older splitters do NOT support the correct frequency range).
If poor signal then you either need a bigger antenna or a higher mast.
Also remember we are in our current ice age, a LOT of connections contract so much in this cold air and often come lose and further degrades your signal. Older water logged cable is notorius to degrade in cold air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2315 Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 AM

http://http://www.myfoxtwincities.co..._us/dtv_change
Has a lot of good tips for antenna reception for in the Cities and out-state reception!
post #543 of 2315 Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone know what happened to the HDTVtwincities.com website? It's no longer available.
post #544 of 2315 Old 12-24-2009, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

FYI hdtvtwincities.com forum seems to be down, I've been getting "403 Forbidden Apache/1.3.37 Server at hdtvtwincities.com Port 80, when trying to log on today.
zryder, their is a guy on hdtv that has a signal meter but I wonder if it works with digital signals? He used to post occasionally that he made house calls. BTW I'm at Bville pkwy and Nicollet and get great reception (90's) for basically all channels with a VHF/UHF attic antenna pointed slightly E of N, I'm running 4 TVs with no amp but then again I'm on the South hill out of the river bottoms so I have a pretty good shot at Shoreview.

I still make house calls and have been working with digital signals for about 10years. Send me a private message with your contact information if you are interested in my services.
post #545 of 2315 Old 12-25-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
KTCI will be moving from DT-16 to DT-23 on January 28th, 2010. It is in their DTV info ad and in their monthly magazine. This should push their range to similar results as KTCA, while slightly weaker due to the different in power levels on KTCA (662kW ERP) and KTCI-DT-23 (375kW ERP)

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #546 of 2315 Old 12-25-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I thought the FCC granted them 700 kW in the rulemaking process. Guess they didn't feel like building it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #547 of 2315 Old 12-25-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I thought the FCC granted them 700 kW in the rulemaking process. Guess they didn't feel like building it.

- Trip

I thought so too, but the record only shows 375kW now... Too bad, it would have made them super equal since they come off same tower (IIRC the antenna too)

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #548 of 2315 Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

I thought so too, but the record only shows 375kW now... Too bad, it would have made them super equal since they come off same tower (IIRC the antenna too)

tpt.org is sooooooo short on cash as donations are DRAMATICALLY down, and that is why they opted for minimal strength to continue broadcast within their usual broadcast area.
I agree this is very sad as this low an ERP will only extend KTCI's service area southward by 5miles, northward by 12miles as well as east & west ward (for an average of 9+ miles extended service area). So I am afraid I will NOT be picking up a huge improvement in signal as I am living south of the towers.

Maybe if the economy turns around they will be able to afford a more powerful transmission.
post #549 of 2315 Old 12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anybody heard anything about ATSC-M/H AKA Mobile DTV being offered in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul DMA?
post #550 of 2315 Old 12-31-2009, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sief View Post

I agree this is very sad as this low an ERP will only extend KTCI's service area southward by 5miles, northward by 12miles as well as east & west ward (for an average of 9+ miles extended service area). So I am afraid I will NOT be picking up a huge improvement in signal as I am living south of the towers.

The difference between 375kw and 700kw is minimal for practical reception. It would make a difference in extremely marginal situations. Antenna height (both receiving and transmitting) makes a much larger difference. As such, I suspect that the jump in power from 50kw to 375kw and the height increase of some 15 meters or so will matter far more than you think. Either way, you are well within their service contour so you should not be having any problems with reception now with a properly designed, installed, and aimed outdoor antenna.
post #551 of 2315 Old 12-31-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregener View Post

The difference between 375kw and 700kw is minimal for practical reception. It would make a difference in extremely marginal situations. Antenna height (both receiving and transmitting) makes a much larger difference. As such, I suspect that the jump in power from 50kw to 375kw and the height increase of some 15 meters or so will matter far more than you think. Either way, you are well within their service contour so you should not be having any problems with reception now with a properly designed, installed, and aimed outdoor antenna.

And in your last sentence is the rub. I am one of those required to rely on indoor antennae, and whilst my 2nd floor antenna by the window does well, the main floor, 5ft AGL but in a bowl below Pilot Knob Hill does not as we are at 1st edge of defraction and Channels 2-1 and 2-2 are tenuous as is.
post #552 of 2315 Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 PM

The picture looks like SD widescreen. This is some of the worst PQ I have ever seen.
post #553 of 2315 Old 01-03-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is this 9.1 or 9.2 your talking about?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tech 55901. Tech news for Rochester. Authored by mattdp and gjvrieze.

post #554 of 2315 Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM

9.1 Shows it's receiving 720P, but the picture is just horrible. On the high shots from the balcony where they show the play the numbers are fuzzy where they should be crystal clear. It's either overcompression on channel 9s part or the fox feed is crap.
post #555 of 2315 Old 01-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast351 View Post

9.1 Shows it's receiving 720P, but the picture is just horrible. On the high shots from the balcony where they show the play the numbers are fuzzy where they should be crystal clear. It's either overcompression on channel 9s part or the fox feed is crap.

Fox stations keep stating that they are working all for DTV (read 720p) and Dolby Digital 2, once all stations and cameras are there (I would have thought that requirement was met at the switch over!) then they will consider moving all production broadcasts to 720p and DD 5.1!? What this means is that currently only a few of their camera are taking 720p/DD5.1. All of their cameras are at least DTV/480i (big whoop). Until all cameras are 720p, they have no plans to go 1080i/p. Fox executives state that they don't want to force their local stations to make 1080i/p broadcasts until the cost of such equipment has moderated in cost. They don't even have plans to make all of their programing at 1080i/p, just their premiere shows.
post #556 of 2315 Old 01-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Anybody know anything about lower signal strength on those channels I live in the St. Joseph area 80 miles NW of Shorview lost only those channels on Sunday sometime I think and have not got them back. All other channels unaffected
post #557 of 2315 Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sief View Post

Fox stations keep stating that they are working all for DTV (read 720p) and Dolby Digital 2, once all stations and cameras are there (I would have thought that requirement was met at the switch over!) then they will consider moving all production broadcasts to 720p and DD 5.1!? What this means is that currently only a few of their camera are taking 720p/DD5.1. All of their cameras are at least DTV/480i (big whoop). Until all cameras are 720p, they have no plans to go 1080i/p. Fox executives state that they don't want to force their local stations to make 1080i/p broadcasts until the cost of such equipment has moderated in cost. They don't even have plans to make all of their programing at 1080i/p, just their premiere shows.

DTV is digital TV vs HDTV is HighDefinition TV. Digital means just digital, not HD. So 720p has nothing to do with the switchover. All FOX NFL games are in 720p HD and Dolby 5.1 audio. It may not look the best because of compression and distribution but it is broadcast in HD.

I don't see any 720p switching to 1080i. 1080p isn't even part of the broadcast standard for OTA I don't believe and the bandwidth is not there.

So FOX will be 720p for some time, and I rate it at the bottom for PQ when it comes to NFL PQ, right there with ESPN.
post #558 of 2315 Old 01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runch Machine View Post

Anyone know what happened to the HDTVtwincities.com website? It's no longer available.

Funny, I just came here today to ask you the same.

(you can be plural )
post #559 of 2315 Old 01-05-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post

Funny, I just came here today to ask you the same.

(you can be plural )

Appears as though it is over and done. Stopped paying the bill probably as I know it was talked about almost a year ago.

We seem to all be migrating here.
post #560 of 2315 Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Anyone with a digital TVGOS capable device notice that they are no longer getting TVGOS? I have a PalDVR that seems to have lost its TVGOS signal and is now getting guide data from PSIP. I don't use this device much for live TV. Its usually reserved for recording new OTA shows. I turned it on tonight for the first time in a week or two only to find the shortened guide.

Just wondering if it's isolated to my unit or if its more widespread.

Thanks.
post #561 of 2315 Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'm getting TVGOS just fine on my Sony TVs daily TVGOS guide. It only shows 24hrs so I know pretty quickly if things are astray.
I did notice the other day that it took an abnormally long time to display the program name when channel surfing and I thought it might be using PSIP but eventually the program description came up and it was TVGOS not PSIP.
post #562 of 2315 Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEF111 View Post

Anybody know anything about lower signal strength on those channels I live in the St. Joseph area 80 miles NW of Shorview lost only those channels on Sunday sometime I think and have not got them back. All other channels unaffected

CHIEF111:

I'm in Sauk Rapids, a few miles closer to Shoreview than you, but have noticed no change in those channels. As you know they are the only VHF ones coming to us and as such are a little trickier to get.

What is your antenna and pre-amp setup? I presume a rooftop antenna. Our recent cold snap may have effected your cables. What was the prior signal strength for 9 and 11; and what is it now?
post #563 of 2315 Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Replaced antenna and cable this summer mounted on pole 35' with guide wires. Cable RG6 quad, antenna purchased at mills fleet ? Radio shack pre amp ? Signal on 11 was the best of the bunch varied from high 80's to mid 90's depending on day. Cable and connectors are good its what I do. Starting to suspect a slight antenna rotation occurred will check tonight.
post #564 of 2315 Old 01-06-2010, 03:37 PM

That should cover everything. Is it a ground mount tower or roof top pole? At our distance, a small rotational change makes a huge effect in signal strength. Let us know if that's it. For 11 to go from your strongest to gone; something must have happened.

Which antenna from Fleet Farm? People ask me for local sources for antennas around St. Cloud. I've never had good luck with RS antennas. I usually recommend summitsource.com or solidsignal.com
post #565 of 2315 Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Appears as though it is over and done. Stopped paying the bill probably as I know it was talked about almost a year ago.

We seem to all be migrating here.

Hey all. It does appear to be gone for good.

Any news on new Comcast HD? Wasn't the rumor that something might happen this month?
post #566 of 2315 Old 01-08-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Devil View Post

That should cover everything. Is it a ground mount tower or roof top pole? At our distance, a small rotational change makes a huge effect in signal strength. Let us know if that's it. For 11 to go from your strongest to gone; something must have happened.

Which antenna from Fleet Farm? People ask me for local sources for antennas around St. Cloud. I've never had good luck with RS antennas. I usually recommend summitsource.com or solidsignal.com

Not sure of manufacture but it is the longest range antenna they carry it is the third one from them I have owned in 15 years (because of location large birds of prey seem to be attracted to the antenna and are very hard on it, I have even mounted a separate perch but it is not always used) and am happy with quality and reception. As for loss of signal it needed a slight adjustment and all was well. The pole is of my own tip down design a hinge at ground level 20 feet of two inch pipe 10 feet of 1.5 inch pipe and 5 feet of 1 inch with the top 15 feet rotating independent from the bottom.
post #567 of 2315 Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN View Post

Hey all. It does appear to be gone for good.

Any news on new Comcast HD? Wasn't the rumor that something might happen this month?

Unlike TwinCitiesHDTV forum AVS has a separate thread for Comcast.
post #568 of 2315 Old 01-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Anyone have a good idea what kind of setup I would need to pull in the locals OTA from about 68 miles west of the towers in shoreview? Would a Winegard HD8200U antenna and CM7777 pre-amp do the trick? Would I need a mast?
post #569 of 2315 Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko View Post

Anyone have a good idea what kind of setup I would need to pull in the locals OTA from about 68 miles west of the towers in shoreview? Would a Winegard HD8200U antenna and CM7777 pre-amp do the trick? Would I need a mast?

Can you go to TVfool.com and run it for your exact location and post the results. That will greatly help decide what can be gotten at your location.

KD0MOF

post #570 of 2315 Old 01-14-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko View Post

An 8200 is a lot of extra, unneeded metal since there are no stations broadcasting from Shoreview on channels 2-6.

Let's see your TVfool so we have some decent data.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page