Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #631 of 2264 Old 02-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I did a re-scan overnight on one of my Samsung LN-T1953H TVs. My issue is/was with the change to channel 2, I was not getting all of the sub-channels. Anyway, I completely disconnected the antenna, scanned, re-connected and scanned again. With this TV, it seems like I need to be careful to get the actual RF channel that corresponds with the -1 first. So I enter RF channel 34 and get virtual 2-1, etc. Then I enter RF channel 23 and get 2-3. Virtual 4-1, 5-1/2 are problem. With Channel 9 and 29 I have an issue. If I enter RF 9, I get 9-1 and 29-2 or if I enter RF 29, I get 29-1 and 9-2. Does anybody have any idea how I scan enter those in and get all 4 (9-1, 9-2, 29-1, and 29-2)?

I am thinking of doing more re-scans today. I suspect that if I start with no other channels entered, and then enter RF 9, I will get 9-1 and 29-2. Similarly, if I start with RF 29, I will get 29-1 and 9-2. And then in either case I will have no way to enter the "missing" virtual channels.

I played with this some more this morning. I have ALL of the 2s, channel 28 seems to be off the air at the moment, but maybe I just can't get it right now. The 9/29 deal is still puzzling me. I would like to get at least 9-1 and 29-1, but I can't seem to figure out away to do it with the Samsung. I guess if it is an "either-or" scenario on this particular tuner, I will opt for 9-1 & 29-2 (instead of 29-1 & 9-2), since I watch 9-1 more than I do 29-1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2264 Old 02-22-2010, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

So I enter RF channel 34 and get virtual 2-1, etc. Then I enter RF channel 23 and get 2-3. Virtual 4-1, 5-1/2 are problem. With Channel 9 and 29 I have an issue. If I enter RF 9, I get 9-1 and 29-2 or if I enter RF 29, I get 29-1 and 9-2. Does anybody have any idea how I scan enter those in and get all 4 (9-1, 9-2, 29-1, and 29-2)?

I think you got it as good as your tuner is going to get it. Chanel 9 swapped things around with there sister station 29 because so many people, I'm in that group, couldn't get a good signal on 9. Channel 2 did the something similar with their virtual numbers having 2 on two RF channels. And to make things more confusing, RF-23 has a virtual 23 station in our area as well. I think you have it figured out as good as your older tuner is going to handle it. Both of my tuners have problems with virtual 2 as well.
post #633 of 2264 Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM

Liked: 10
I called Tivo yet again today to inquire on the status of correcting the RF channels (or "digital frequency" as Tivo calls them) for 9-2 and 29-2. I was told that Tribune Media Services had requested some information from Tivo, which the rep completed while I was on the phone. He then expressed his dismay that such a basic problem had gone uncorrected for over four months and put me on hold while he spoke with a supervisor. When he returned, he said he would once again escalate the problem to Tribune, but there was nothing else he could do and I'd just have to wait and see if it gets fixed in the next week or so.

I intend to call back later this week if it still isn't fixed, but once again I'd like to ask any OTA Tivo users in the area to call and file a report with Tivo about the problems with 9-2 and 29-2, if only so that you're getting everything the service is supposed to provide. They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so let's make some noise!
post #634 of 2264 Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 AM

Last night chennel 9.1 was completely dead for me all evening. The SD channel 9.2 was fine. This is the second time in the last 2-3 weeks this has happened. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #635 of 2264 Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper10 View Post

Last night chennel 9.1 was completely dead for me all evening. The SD channel 9.2 was fine. This is the second time in the last 2-3 weeks this has happened. Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't had any problems picking up 9-1 for quite a while, though I wasn't watching 9-1 last night, so it's possible something was awry on their end. More likely though, it sounds like there may be something causing occasional interference with VHF 9 near your home. It could be anything from a snow blower or other heavy machinery outside to air traffic, or just plain environmental causes. This is precisely why KMSP decided to do such funky channel mapping for 9-2.
post #636 of 2264 Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 PM

It looks like Tribune Media and Tivo have gotten even more confused with regard to the 9-2/29-2 situation. My Tivo now has WFTC listings for 9-2 on RF 9 and KMSP listings for 29-2 on RF29.

It looks like they just swapped the listings and left everything else alone. Both channels remain unviewable and unusable for recordings via the guide.

I called Tivo, and with these further screwups, both the Tivo rep and I had a hard time keeping everything straight via phone. At the end of the call after all the circular dtv jargon ("9-2 should be on frequency 29 but have programming for 9, 9-2 should be on frequency 29 but have programming for 9," repeat and get dizzy,) the rep joked "I feel like I could build a spaceship now!"

I called KMSP and left a message on their DTV help line, and also submitted an online submission with the KMSP technical dept. Hopefully one of these willI result in my receiving a call from them and they will help get this resolved once and for all.
post #637 of 2264 Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 AM

I got a very friendly call from KMSP this morning to tell me that they have resubmitted the information on 9-2 and 29-2 to Tribune and that I should e-mail them again if Tribune hasn't fixed it in a week or so. At this point that seems to be the best way to proceed rather than repeatedly confusing the poor reps at Tivo. Stay tuned.
post #638 of 2264 Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Looks like Tivo finally got everything straight.
post #639 of 2264 Old 03-15-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Yes I got a update message on my Tivo a few days ago.
Personally I never use the .2's but did complain anyway, for those that do.
post #640 of 2264 Old 03-15-2010, 03:22 PM

My Tivo has the RF correct now, meaning that I can tune the channels, but the program information is backwards: 9-2 has WFTC listings and 29-2 has KMSP listings, meaning I still can't record from the SD channels normally. I just forced a connection before posting this reply, and the listings are still backwards.
post #641 of 2264 Old 03-15-2010, 05:07 PM

I just logged into tivo.com and checked the listings via the website and the program information is swapped for 9-2 and 29-2 there as well. Can those of you who say your Tivo has everything correct please check the guide information and see if the program information is correct for 9-2 and 29-2? If others have correct RF info and program info, then it's possible it's just my zip code that has problems.

Edit: Tribune's web listings at Zap2it also have the programming reversed, so it clearly hasn't been fixed on their end yet. KMSP said they'd contact Tribune again to get this resolved, so it's possible this will finally be corrected soon.
post #642 of 2264 Old 03-15-2010, 09:46 PM

Liked: 12
This seems like a modern take on the "who's on first" bit.

What's on 9.2? 29.2. So 9.2 is 29.2? Yes. Then 29.2 is WFTC? No, it's KMSP. But I thought you said it was 29.2...
post #643 of 2264 Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
KARE has applied to increase power from 21.7 kW to 45.3 kW.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #644 of 2264 Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 AM

Look at that... I was just so excited to finally see things that seemed to be right that I didn't look closely at the directory. It is switched. Heh... I guess that means another several months to get THAT right??
post #645 of 2264 Old 03-17-2010, 06:04 PM

I've been communicating with KMSP and they have been trying their best to get the issues with Tribune resolved. It was their efforts that finally got the RF corrected, so I'm hopeful that it won't take too much longer to get the guide fixed and have this all over with. I'm under the impression that the main reason it's taken so long for all of this is that while people occasionally brought the problems to the attention of KMSP, they assumed the problem was resolved when they never heard back from the people who initially complained to tell them otherwise.
post #646 of 2264 Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 AM

After one more go around between myself, KMSP and Tivo, it looks like Tribune has corrected the listings for 9-2 on Zap2it, so Tivo should get the correct listings for 9-2 any day now.

Edit: The guide on my Tivo is now correct for 9-2! If 29-2 doesn't get fixed over the next few days, I may try to get that corrected as well, but I don't really record anything from that channel so it's not as big a deal if it continues to have the wrong listings as long as it remains viewable. I'm a bit worried that if I try to get 29-2 fixed, Tribune will somehow break what they've just fixed and we'll be back where we started....
post #647 of 2264 Old 03-30-2010, 04:19 PM

After five and-a-half months, it looks like Tribune finally has provided Tivo with the correct information for both 29-2 and 9-2. My Tivo updated 29-2 this afternoon.

I hope this means that the DTV transition is now finally and fully complete here in the metro.
post #648 of 2264 Old 03-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Anyone else having problems with 9-1 (HD) tonight? Our reception which has been great on this channel has been a bit flaky the last few weeks, but tonight we lost it completely...0 signal strength about 3/4 of the way into AI (rather annoying). Still no signal now about an hour later. Using a DTV pal DVR.

WCCO has been a bit flaky for us lately too. Time to go up in the attic and play with the antenna, just seems weird that these issues are popping up now, maybe something to do with the nice weather?

We're in Shakopee so we're not real far out.

Thanks!
post #649 of 2264 Old 03-31-2010, 02:51 PM

No problems here, but at some point as the seasons change from winter to spring/summer and from summer to fall I always end up making some antenna adjustments to compensate for the changes in climate and the presence or absence of tree leaves. We had our first issues this season with mild breakups during Lost last night, though it seemed to be related to an apparent change in the flightpath near our home rather than environmental issues. I think it's all just part of living in the metro.
post #650 of 2264 Old 04-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Well, like others, I took advantage of the nice weather and got up on the roof. I live in a townhouse on the Burnsville/Savage border.
I raised my antenna about 4 feet to get it above the roof a little more, but I am still having problems with 5 and 29..

Everything else comes in with the antenna pointed exactly where it should be.. But it seems like 5 come in when the antenna is pointed more north, and 29 likes to be more twards the east.. Neither of them will come in at all with the antenna pointed at the towers.. quite odd..

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
post #651 of 2264 Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 PM

I've was a long time contributor at HDTV Twin Cities and helped several of its members get their TV antenna properly aimed. I have a field strength meter which provides the information needed to position your antenna to get the strongest, cleanest and most reliable reception. PM me for more information.
post #652 of 2264 Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder View Post

I raised my antenna about 4 feet to get it above the roof a little more, but I am still having problems with 5 and 29..

I live near hwy 13 and I35W and get all the locals just fine with my attic antenna. Note you may want to play with lowering the antenna 6" at a time. If you've got ghosting(or multipath) problems, sometimes raising or lowering your antenna only a few inches can help. I was having problems with CH 4 and only needed to move my antenna a few inches and now things are rock solid. Also with digital you may want to try removing any amplifiers you may have, for me removing my distribution amp helped matters. I have mine split 4 ways and don't need a amp with digital, with analog I did.
Take Runch up on his offer, it's easier fine tuning things with a field strength meter than just tuning on your TV.
post #653 of 2264 Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In case anyone hasn't noticed yet, it appears WCCO has natural audio of the basketball games today. On the Spanish audio (at least as labeled on my converter).

For those who haven't had experience with big satellite dishes, sports backhauls in addition to the normal audio would sometimes have another audio subcarrier with all audio EXCEPT the announcers. NFL football was like that in the day (e.g. my tape of the Packers Majkowski Replay Game backhaul).

It is useful when the announcers get too annoying.

So this is a nice treat.

WKBT and KIMT don't transmit secondary audio, so no luck there.
post #654 of 2264 Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I live near hwy 13 and I35W and get all the locals just fine with my attic antenna. Note you may want to play with lowering the antenna 6" at a time. If you've got ghosting(or multipath) problems, sometimes raising or lowering your antenna only a few inches can help. I was having problems with CH 4 and only needed to move my antenna a few inches and now things are rock solid. Also with digital you may want to try removing any amplifiers you may have, for me removing my distribution amp helped matters. I have mine split 4 ways and don't need a amp with digital, with analog I did.
Take Runch up on his offer, it's easier fine tuning things with a field strength meter than just tuning on your TV.

No amps here, antenna to a 2 way splitter, into my TV's. I will try moving the antenna up and down a few inches at a time when I can get up there again. Unfortunately I don't own a ladder tall enough to get on the roof of my townhouse with. I will rent one when I know I will have a chance to get it right..

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
post #655 of 2264 Old 04-04-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder View Post

I will rent one when I know I will have a chance to get it right..

I have a 28' fiberglass extension ladder you could borrow, PM if interested.
post #656 of 2264 Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Does anyone know when 23.2 will switch to thecoolnetwork? i thought it was sometime in april but i didnt hear the date.
post #657 of 2264 Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I've heard Sinclair is looking at having its stations launch The Cool TV in or near June.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #658 of 2264 Old 04-06-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

That would be WUCW(23.1) in our market. The cool TV, wow looking up just cool TV on Wiki brings up something totally different
Anyway it's funny 23.1 might be back to music videos, as early adopters might remember 23.1 (actually 23.2) used to air The Tube a now defunct music video channel, which was commercial free while it lasted. I was sad to see it go but wasn't surprised since I could never figure out how they made any money, being commercial free.
post #659 of 2264 Old 04-07-2010, 09:37 AM

I was curious, did some searching and came across this article claiming that Ion Media has exited bankruptcy. I wonder what effect (if any) this will have on their timetable to move KPXM/41 to Shoreview.
post #660 of 2264 Old 04-11-2010, 05:59 PM

Location: Eagan, MN, southern suburb of St. Paul, 16mi from TV Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

the two main reasons I can think of are:

1. there are still people watching DTV on 4:3 SD sets and the SD subchannel will fit the screen properly and avoid the black bars that many non-tech people think means something is wrong. (though given KMSP has decided to put unnecessary black sidebars on their SD signal, that part doesn't apply to 9-2.)

2. There's still a lot of material only available in SD, and if you're going to record DTV digitally it makes good sense to record SD material in SD, rather than wasting space on an upconverted 4:3 image with black sidebars eating up extra space. For example, my mom likes to record Martha Stewart, which is in SD, and especially if she lets a week or two worth of shows accumulate before she gets to watch them, it saves a lot of space to record them on 9-2. Of course, Tivo still has yet to correct their guide/channel lineup with the new RF of 9-2, so until they do she has to use a recurring manual recording -- but I digress...

Come thunderstorm season, a LOT of us could NOT get Channel 9 on its VHF position, so by broadcasting their SD on UHF, I can now see weather when I need to!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List