4Likes

post #721 of 2337 Old 06-29-2010, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

I wonder if it is just PM, or the new antenna for WFTC getting installed... Did they say type of work was going on?

No details other than that work was being done. I see that TPT is still down as of 5:20PM, so it seems whatever the work is, it's behind schedule. I mentioned on the phone with TPT that they really should have a notice on the front of their website, and the person I spoke with said that suggestion would be passed along. Taking a quick look, I still don't see any details immediately visible on the site.

I see that 29 is also down, so it looks like it may be the new antenna you mentioned. BTW, I didn't know WFTC was getting a new antenna. Why is that being done?

Edit: TPT and WFTC are back up now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2337 Old 06-29-2010, 05:57 PM

I see This tv is now on 45.2. I don't when it started broadcasting, but at a little past 7 is when I notice it.
post #723 of 2337 Old 06-29-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by symo2k20 View Post

I see This tv is now on 45.2. I don't when it started broadcasting, but at a little past 7 is when I notice it.

Thanks for the heads up(just tried it and it's working here too) now to see how long it will take TVGOS or Tivo to figure it out
post #724 of 2337 Old 06-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symo2k20 View Post

I see This tv is now on 45.2.

Cool Beans! My TV isn't picking up any PSIP program info, so I have no idea what it is I'm watching, but hey, more free TV is fine by me!

I know that OTA viewers are always going to be in the minority in an age of cable, satellite and the internet, but between the TPT/WFTC outage, this new channel addition and whatever is going to happen to the programming on 23-2 and 41's move to Shoreview, you'd think the stations would make at least a little effort to keep OTA viewers informed ahead of time...

Edit: here's a page with current schedule information for 45-2 to check until the PSIP data is available and Tivo/TVGOS get up to date.

Edit2: I just submitted a lineup change form to Tivo including the url of the new schedule on KSTC's site, so hopefully they'll have no problem updating the guide in a reasonable amount of time.
post #725 of 2337 Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 AM

TPT and WFTC are down again, presumably for the day.
post #726 of 2337 Old 06-30-2010, 08:31 AM

I'm getting all the TPT and WFTC fine OTA in south MPLS....
post #727 of 2337 Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamot View Post

I'm getting all the TPT and WFTC fine OTA in south MPLS....

They aren't down completely, but have dramatically reduced the signal, so it's possible your location and tuner/antenna are allowing you to get the weaker signals fine. No such luck here. Unfortunately, I know exactly when the signal dropped because I heard shouts of protest from down the hall as others were in the middle of watching Senator Franken's time questioning Elena Kagan. For local OTA viewers with broadband internet access, you can view the live proceedings and each senator's time individually from CSPAN online
post #728 of 2337 Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

Edit2: I just submitted a lineup change form to Tivo including the url of the new schedule on KSTC's site, so hopefully they'll have no problem updating the guide in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for the link, I did also. Just wish their was a easy way to notify TVGOS(Rovi, Macrovision, etc.). It's like they don't want anyone contacting them and it takes them forever to figure changes out
I guess this is another case of you get what you pay for
post #729 of 2337 Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 AM

As of this morning, it looks like The Cool TV has missed its estimated launch on 23-2 again. Does anyone know where to find up-to-date information on this situation? the Cool TV website isn't much help, and WUCW's site doesn't seem to mention it at all.
post #730 of 2337 Old 07-01-2010, 03:25 PM

We can't seem to get 45-2. Repeatedly scanned both boxes (RCA 800) on our analog tv's with no success. All other local stations come in great including 45-1, 5.1, and 5.2. Talked with Dick Rice at channel 45 and he is stumped. Evidently the station broadcast has been running since Tuesday. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
post #731 of 2337 Old 07-01-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

You might want to try a channel reset. That is disconnect the antenna from your CECB, do a channels scan(to clear anything out) and finally hook up your antenna and do another rescan. If you're getting 45.1 I see no reason you shouldn't be getting 45.2 which AFAIK share the same transmitter.
Talking about broadcasters website, the last I checked This TV's website it still shows MSP as coming soon
I kind of forgot about Cool TV, I wonder if a call to the station would reveal anything about possible dates? I suppose it would depend on who you actually got to talk to.
Dick Rice, I've been trying to get ahold of him on and off for quite some time. I've wanted to ask him if their is any chance of getting Jimmy Kimmel in HD anytime soon. It's a really poor SD upconvert now
post #732 of 2337 Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM

I did a Channel Add on my LG set. Could only set it on 45 and clicked "Add" and then I tried 45.2 and there it was. Didn't have to do a full rescan. Maybe that will work for others.
post #733 of 2337 Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 PM

Thanks. I will try a reset and see if that does it. Dick said I should be receiving it now from Hastings.
post #734 of 2337 Old 07-01-2010, 06:13 PM

The factory reset worked. Thank you so much!
post #735 of 2337 Old 07-01-2010, 09:50 PM

Location: Eagan, MN, southern suburb of St. Paul, 16mi from TV Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifeartist View Post

We can't seem to get 45-2. Repeatedly scanned both boxes (RCA 800) on our analog tv's with no success. All other local stations come in great including 45-1, 5.1, and 5.2. Talked with Dick Rice at channel 45 and he is stumped. Evidently the station broadcast has been running since Tuesday. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

both my Insignia and RCA boxes picked up 45-2 quite easily, cool to see my Panasonic plasma picked it up without scanning.
post #736 of 2337 Old 07-03-2010, 11:18 AM

For anyone interested in acquiring a Tivo for use OTA, today woot.com is selling new TivoHD XL models (1TB drive and THX certified) units for $179.99 +$5 shipping.

These models have now been replaced by the Premiere line, but early reports on the Tivo community forums suggest that the Premiere line doesn't perform as well with OTA and the Premiere's new interface is somewhat buggy.

Also note that this price does not include any Tivo service, which is required to record programs and obtain guide information. Service rates are $12.95/month, $129/year, or $399 for a lifetime service. The 1TB drive will hold roughly 150 hours of HD, and OTA programs can be transferred to a computer hard drive over a home network with the free Tivo Desktop software for archival purposes.

Another possible deal for prospective OTA Tivo users is that this thread claims that some Blockbuster video stores are clearing out the 160GB non-THX Tivo HD models for only $99 (again, no service included.) These 160GB models hold roughly 20 hours of HD, and can be expanded using either an officially supported external expander, or a DIY internal drive upgrade that will void the 1 year warranty.
post #737 of 2337 Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 AM

Zap2it (Tribune Media Services) now has correct listings for 45-2 online, so Tivo shouldn't be far behind...

Edit: My Tivo now has the listings. If you have a Tivo that's still missing them, force a connection to Tivo's servers and they should appear when the download finishes loading.
post #738 of 2337 Old 07-07-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes it's on my Tivo now and I didn't have force a connection. Now to see how long it takes TVGOS to figure it out
I guess if I cared more I'd push the issue but since I only look at TVGOS on my Sony TV I'll just watch from the sidelines and see how long it takes
post #739 of 2337 Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 PM

I was just watching the Twins game on 29-1 and they ran a few ads touting that WFTC's antenna hadnow been upgraded to provide a stronger signal. I guess that confirms what the recent signal disruptions with WFTC and TPT were all about. The strange thing is that the ad said people should rescan for the new signal, which seems like a bad bit of misinformation, especially since people who couldn't pick up the signal to begin with aren't going to see the ad to tell them to rescan
post #740 of 2337 Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 PM

I've noticed that TPT Life and WFTC have been down again during daytime hours, so I decided to call the Minnesota Broadcasters Association, thinking that they might know about the schedule for tower work. Surprisingly the person who answered the phone said they had no knowledge of any ongoing tower work and that there was no one there who would.

So I called TPT, and thankfully they did know about it, telling me that the maintenance is going to be ongoing possibly until mid August, and they will be at reduced power off and on during daytime hours throughout that period. They claimed KMSP was doing the maintenance, so it appears that the ads I saw on 29 proclaiming their new antenna was up and running were premature.

The lack of announcements and reliable information about all of this makes it seem like broadcasters would actually prefer it if everyone stopped watching and went to cable.
post #741 of 2337 Old 07-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The KMSP people own and operate channel 29 so to the Channel 2 person was correct. If you saw an announcement that 29 has made improvements, it's very likely to be true since the improvements would be made by the staff that operates both 9 and 29.
post #742 of 2337 Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just sent an email off to the engineering department at KMSP. I will post what I find out.

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #743 of 2337 Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runch Machine View Post

If you saw an announcement that 29 has made improvements, it's very likely to be true since the improvements would be made by the staff that operates both 9 and 29.

If indeed the improvements have been made as the ad said, then there shouldn't be any need for them to continue working on the tower every day until mid August. I've emailed TPT asking them to place information on the maintenance schedule/signal interruptions on their website. I've just sent KMSP/WFTC an email as well, so maybe we'll finally learn all the details. I'll post any new information that I receive.

Edit: I see gjvrieze posted just before me and has also emailed KMSP. their engineering staff has responded well in the past, so hopefully one or both of us will get the details!
post #744 of 2337 Old 07-13-2010, 04:16 PM

29 has been really spotty for me the last few Twins games. It makes me mad to see the ads saying the signal has been strengthened but my reception is worse!
post #745 of 2337 Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 AM

I heard back from KMSP this morning. I was told that KMSP has finished upgrading their antenna, but WFTC has not. During the ongoing work, WFTC is on an auxiliary antenna. The work may take until the end of this month, and not all the work will require the use of the auxiliary antenna. Work should be completed by 5PM each day.

TPT is also doing work on the tower removing some old equipment, so it appears the woman I spoke with at TPT did not have all the facts straight.

I happened to notice that my Tivo recorded Sunday's Twins game as a suggestion, so I found the ad I saw and it clearly states:
Quote:

MY29 has upgraded its antenna to a stronger signal for you. Just rescan your TV or converter box. Your free HDTV is better than ever.

I'm guessing they aired this since KMSP finished their work and also broadcasts MY29 on 29-2. It's still a poorly worded ad for several reasons, including the fact that 29-2 isn't HD.

Anyway, those are the details as relayed to me by KMSP.
post #746 of 2337 Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM

TPT finally has a message about the tower maintenance on their main page with a link to this page giving more precise information. Better late than never, I guess.
post #747 of 2337 Old 07-25-2010, 12:23 PM

I was watching the new This TV feed on 45-2 last night and an old black and white show called Home Run Derby came on showcasing home run contests between various baseball legends. Checking the Tivo guide showed the 10:30PM airing would feature Harmon Killebrew vs. Mickey Mantle. It was a lot of fun to watch, since Killebrew's days with the Twins were before my time. It was also also fun to see that he was wearing a Washington Senator's uniform, clearly indicating this was before the Twins arrived in MN.

Anyway, for those interested in checking this out, the Tivo guide shows the same episode being run at 2:30AM 7/26 (tomorrow morning.) so set your VCR or DVR.
post #748 of 2337 Old 07-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Up until approximately a month ago I was having very little problem receiving a signal on all channels. Now the signal only comes through in the evening except on 9-1,23-1,23-2, 45-1, and 45-2. Does anybody have an explanation for this? I have an HDTV attenna in the attic with a power amplifier connected.
post #749 of 2337 Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not getting 11-any nor 9-1 right now...
post #750 of 2337 Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anybody heard anything about any possible M-DTV in this market? I thought I heard that KMSP might do it, but I haven't heard anything lately.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page