AVS Forum banner

Minneapolis, MN - OTA

856K views 6K replies 373 participants last post by  DrDon 
#1 ·
Here's a brief summary of the OTA channels available in the Twin Cities, arranged by analog channel number (numbers less than 1000kw or directional are not full-powered unless otherwise noted):

KTCA (TPT2) - digital 34 - PBS HD 24x7 feed. 340kw directional.

WCCO (CBS) - digital 32 - fully HD compatible. 1000kw.

KSTP (ABC) - digital 50 - fully HD compatible. 1000kw.

KMSP (Fox) - digital 26 - fully HD compatible. 691kw (full power) directional.

KARE (NBC) -digital 35 - fully HD compatible. 1000kw.

KTCI (TPT17) - digital 16 - 5 PBS multicast. 50kw (full power).

KMWB (WB) - digital 22 - HD compatible. 20kw directional.

WFTC (UPN) - digital 21 - no HD. 1000kw (full powered) directional.

KPXM (Pax) - digital 40 - no HD. 1000kw (full powered) directional.

KSTC (Ind) - digital 44 - multicast analog 45 and HDNet. 205kw.

Local website devoted to Minneapolis/St.Paul HD programming/stations:
www.hdtvtwincities.com

See less See more
#52 ·
I just got a toshiba hm5284 and I wanted to get an antenna for my local channels. I have directv and they don't put the locas in hd. I live in northeast minneapolis, so I'm pretty close to the towers ini shoreview. I just bought a terk antenna and it's not very good, plus I don't get channel 5 in hd. which anttena do you guys suggest. I see alot of you guys get antenna's at radioshack or channel masters. thanks.

#55 ·
I live in Menomonie, Wi, about 60 miles from MSP. I'll be getting my new set in the next few days. I'm hoping to attempt reception out of the cities instead of Eau Claire, Wi, which is about 30 miles. What type of antenna setup would you recommend?

#56 ·
I sure wish that they would fix whatever problem ABC (5-1) has with their sound dropouts. It was better for a while when they pulled 5-2 off the air. Now they put it back and the sound dropouts are back. I had to actually shut off Boston Legal because it was unwatchable.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast351
I sure wish that they would fix whatever problem ABC (5-1) has with their sound dropouts. It was better for a while when they pulled 5-2 off the air. Now they put it back and the sound dropouts are back. I had to actually shut off Boston Legal because it was unwatchable.

I'm in Apple Valley and have had the same problem for a couple months now. I came looking for help.

It's like a 2 second loop of garbled audio. My wife says "they sound like their under water."

I too had to switch off Boston Legal last night.

Have you ever tried calling the KSTP?

And I can't pick up 5.2, only 5.1

Which reciever do you have? I have the RCA-210. (D*)

How does one "petition" for HD networks thru D*? Would I have any luck living in AV?

Any help appreciated.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by edpowers
I have had the same problem with my old toshiba HD Directv box. Its very annoying, anybody have an answer? Also, on my HD Tivo, the channel can be removed, but wierd things happen to the program guide after a while. For example, I'll be watching the Vikings game on FoxHD 9-1. After about a half hour, I'll switch to the other tuner. When I switch back, the game is still on, but the guide display shows that I'm watching 9-1 KAWE PBS. I wish I could just wipe it off my guide for good. I can't receive the station, and wouldn't want to even if I could.

Just checked FCC TV Query ... KAWE is a PBS station licensed to Bemidji, MN, with a transmitter near a town called Blackduck, MN. Its analog is 9, its DT is 18.

#60 ·
I'm in a bad location for receiving KSTP-DT (5-1) and I've suffered a lot of multipath interference. Things improved when the trees lost their leaves, but the intense cold over the last week has made 5-1 worse on average than it ever was before. Sometimes my HD-TiVo tells me that it couldn't get any signal at all over the entire duration of a 30- or 60-minute show.

#61 ·
I recently upgraded to HD through D* (H10 box) and an OTA antenna. I receive strong signals on all the OTA channels except ABC (5-1, 5-2). Signal strength varies wildly and I usually can't get a signal. Is there something about channel 5's feed that causes more problems than the others?

#63 ·
Me too, Marzo. UHF channel 50 is very hard for a lot of people to receive. In the summer it was the leaves causing multipath interference. In the winter it's the thermal inversion layers. Right now I'm watching KSTP's analog feed via D* and hoping that sometime this year we'll be able to get the local HD feeds from the new Spaceway satellites. (New PVR box required, though.)

#65 ·
Anyone have audio synch issues with KSTP's HD channel (5-1)? I upgraded to HD with Directv a couple weeks ago, and I've noticed this problem while watching the last 2 episodes of "Lost." The box is Directv's new receiver - model number H10. (The box is not the problem though, as the NBC and CBS local HD channels are fine)

I can switch to the regular channel 5 and everything is synched up, but I then switch back to 5-1 and audio is noticeably out of synch with the video.

I don't believe is a signal strength or dropout issue as I live in New Brighton and can see the Shoreview towers from my house. The setup guide in my receiver shows the antenna signal strength for my local channels is anywhere from 86-100%

Anyone else?

#67 ·
Yeah that logo is probably offscreen for most people.

As far as the feed goes, it was perfect for me last night.

-Mike

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by atye
I live in Menomonie, Wi, about 60 miles from MSP. I'll be getting my new set in the next few days. I'm hoping to attempt reception out of the cities instead of Eau Claire, Wi, which is about 30 miles. What type of antenna setup would you recommend?

I would suggest the largest yagi-style UHF only antenna you can find. I mounted a Radio Shack 15-2160 on my brother's house in Northfield, MN, which is about 40 miles directly south of the Shoreview antenna farm. It gets flawless reception on all the MSP channels, and surprisingly the St. Cloud channels as well, even though they are considerable off axis.

It is rated for 75 miles over "open terrain." You might try it and return it if it doesn't work. The main thing is get a highly directional antenna, preferably a yagi style.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by atye

I would suggest the largest yagi-style UHF only antenna you can find. I mounted a Radio Shack 15-2160 on my brother's house in Northfield, MN, which is about 40 miles directly south of the Shoreview antenna farm. It gets flawless reception on all the MSP channels, and surprisingly the St. Cloud channels as well, even though they are considerable off axis.

It is rated for 75 miles over "open terrain." You might try it and return it if it doesn't work. The main thing is get a highly directional antenna, preferably a yagi style.

#72 ·
Anyone having problems with WCCO (4-1) in the last week or two. I get all the local digital Twin City stations and have for the last year. In the last week 4-1 won't lock in, all the other channels pull in perfectly.

The signal appears moderately strong but it just wont lock in and pull in the picture. If I pull up the program info screen it briefly pulls up the description of what is playing but then blanks out as if it loses the info.

I have a Samsung SIR-T165 that has worked flawlessly till now.

I live in Rogers, MN and reception hasn't been an issue in the past.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by reeferaddict
Anyone having problems with WCCO (4-1) in the last week or two. I get all the local digital Twin City stations and have for the last year. In the last week 4-1 won't lock in, all the other channels pull in perfectly.

The signal appears moderately strong but it just wont lock in and pull in the picture. If I pull up the program info screen it briefly pulls up the description of what is playing but then blanks out as if it loses the info.

did you rescan? that worked for my 23-1 channel problem, for the missing channel,

now i just get no sound from 23, my friend has the same missing sound so it is their problem

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by reeferaddict

I was surprised I hadn't seen this more often. I had the exact same thing happen - SIR-T165 and all - but the problem seems to have fixed itself about a week/week-and-a-half ago. My problem sort of coincided with the length of time that I had snow on my roof. I've got an antenna in the attic - I just assumed that the snow was causing the signal to be blocked just enough so that I couldn't receive it anymore.

I had never had a problem receiving 4-1 before, and that was the only channel that I lost completely, although 9-1 was sort of blocky/intermittent for a few days.

I'm in Apple Valley, with a Radio Shack double-bowtie antenna in the attic, and, like you, I hadn't had any trouble receiving anything before, at least not for the past nine months or so.

Greg.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by ShiningBengal

No UHF antenna really works for 75 miles over "open terrain." They do over water, though. Take any Radio Shack mileage estimate and divide by 2 and you have a more realistic number.

Once you're 60 miles from the transmitter, the earth itself gets in the way of the signal. Beyond that, you either need a very tall antenna (broadcasting/receiving) or a lot of luck to get reliable reception without doing everything right.

One of the best antennas I've found is the 91XG from AntennasDirect. You can read my review here:
http://www.geocities.com/figbert/ant...irect91xg.html

Still, at 60 miles, he's going to need a lot of elevation to get a good signal.