Minneapolis, MN - OTA - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #901 of 2337 Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not all converter boxes are equal. There's a thread about them here for anyone interested in doing some research. The Zenith/Insignia boxes are generally considered at the top in terms of reception quality. We actually have one that somehow manages to pick up all the major locals with just a pair of rabbit ears laying across the top of a bookshelf! That's not typical, but it's the only receiver I've owned that's been able to accomplish that.

Even newer tuners can be crummy though. There's actually a thread on the Tivo Community forums where many people have reported that the tuner in the new Tivo Premiere gets significantly worse reception than the older series 3/HD models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2337 Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone vouch for a good indoor antenna for the Minneapolis area, specifically Northeast? I'd like to cut the cord on Comcast to save $15 a month. Thanks!

Click here for my home theater setup
post #903 of 2337 Old 03-15-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Can anyone vouch for a good indoor antenna for the Minneapolis area, specifically Northeast? I'd like to cut the cord on Comcast to save $15 a month. Thanks!

If you're that close to Shoreview, a simple loop and rabbit ears from Radio Shack should do the job.
post #904 of 2337 Old 03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Take a look here and prepare to be overwhelmed

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1037779

Don't forget to check

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

http://www.tvfool.com/

Maybe you can try the TERK HD-TVi and give us a report on it! One of the things to bear in mind is most of the channels are now UHF except 9 & 11 returned to VHF! Considering how close you are to the Shoreview towers, maybe a very simple pair of rabbit ears will work just fine. For whatever reason I have sort of liked the Zenith Silver Sensor and its variants, however. As a point of reference, a friend of mine just got the Channel Master CM-4040. He is located in Bloomington and gets all local channels just fine, expect 9 & 11, again, because they are VHF.
post #905 of 2337 Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=3

Don't bother with all the reading. I've helped dozens of people by installing a Terk HDTVi. The link above is to Amazon where it sells for about $25. This antenna is all you'll need as long as you aren't in a basement.
post #906 of 2337 Old 03-15-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The nice thing about that antenna vs a similar antenna is the Terk has the VHF rods , required for 9 and 11.
No need for the amplified version either, in fact it may even cause problems in a strong area like the OP.
post #907 of 2337 Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Wow, thanks everybody! That's very helpful. I was leaning toward trying one of these first, because it's small, inconspicuous and could just lay under the television. But I can't even tell if that model is both UHF and VHF. So it sounds like the Terk is the way to go. I'm just a little concerned about it's size and where on Earth I'd put the thing. I want to avoid running cables across the room, and I live in a rental unit so running wires in the walls isn't an option.

Is the Terk bi-directional so you don't have to futz with it every time you change the channel?

I'm still trying to get a clear answer from Comcast as to whether or not they'll raise my internet price by $15 if I cancel my $14.17 basic cable. One Comcast rep told me no and another told me yes.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #908 of 2337 Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm still trying to get a clear answer from Comcast as to whether or not they'll raise my internet price by $15 if I cancel my $14.17 basic cable

I canceled cable about a month and a half ago. After seeing how my experience was a month in, a co-worker canceled his, except he kept basic cable. The argument you get from the rep on the phone always seems like a no-brainer. "If you cancel cable TV completely, we'll raise your internet $15. If you keep basic cable - internet price stays the same".

When we compared our costs however - we found that I was in fact now paying less then he was. It's true - my internet did go up $15 and his didn't. But he is also still paying the Franchise Fee, FCC TV tax, etc ... and I'm not. The difference is only about $3 or so ... but canceling cable TV completely has left me with a lower bill than his basic cable with no internet access increase.

Of course - the truth is that even canceled - I know full well that the TV signals are still coming down the wire and could still be viewed on the TV's QAM tuner, however I'm pretty happy with using an antenna for OTA now and getting the guide data that I would miss on the QAM channels.
post #909 of 2337 Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post

Of course - the truth is that even canceled - I know full well that the TV signals are still coming down the wire and could still be viewed on the TV's QAM tuner, however I'm pretty happy with using an antenna for OTA now and getting the guide data that I would miss on the QAM channels.

I've been using the HDTVi and also picked up one for my Dad since we liked it so much. I'm using it in Inver Grove Heights.

When I moved to IGH in Oct, I was unable to receive the HD channels over basic cable for some reason so that is why I purchased the antenna. I just recently rescanned and I'm able to receive all of the local HD channels without issue now. I'm planning on disconnecting the antenna now since it is no longer needed.

I am planning on keeping basic cable since I use it for a non HD TV. What is the guide you mentioned though? I"m not seeing any type of OTA guide the last time I looked. How should it be working?
post #910 of 2337 Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Before you look into antennas, I'll let you in a little secret-

The FCC requires that cable companies carry all local digital channels on their system in Clear QAM (unencrypted digital). Charter also carries the C-SPANs, a few religious channels, music choice and a few other things in Clear QAM. Connecting an HDTV w/digital tuner and scanning for digital channels will reveal these.

These channels are not filtered out by the bandpass filter they put on when you get internet-only service - so with internet service, you can still get local digital channels (and some other stuff) too.

(at least, this is the way it currently works with the Rochester and St. Cloud systems - I'd assume it would be about the same where you are).

Edit: oh well... looks like you got this figured out already.
post #911 of 2337 Old 03-16-2011, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmcnitt View Post

I am planning on keeping basic cable since I use it for a non HD TV. What is the guide you mentioned though? I"m not seeing any type of OTA guide the last time I looked. How should it be working?

I should have clarified. When moving to a combination of OTA and online sources - it needed to be wife-friendly. So TIVO is being used in the living room with the eventual goal of building acceptance to a HTPC setup being introduced in the bedroom.

Using OTA and not the Clear QAM means that the DVR functionality with guide info and recording capabilities works flawlessly. As the Clear QAM channels are set by Comcast and not reported to any listings service (and can also change at Comcast's whim) - there would be no TIVO guide listings if using that setup.

It has worked out very well so far. Pretty much the same channels as I would have had through the basic cable with excellent quality once I found the sweet spot for the antenna - combined with Netflix, Amazon VOD, Blockbuster Online, etc.
post #912 of 2337 Old 03-16-2011, 02:20 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post

Before you look into antennas, I'll let you in a little secret-

The FCC requires that cable companies carry all local digital channels on their system in Clear QAM (unencrypted digital). Charter also carries the C-SPANs, a few religious channels, music choice and a few other things in Clear QAM. Connecting an HDTV w/digital tuner and scanning for digital channels will reveal these.

These channels are not filtered out by the bandpass filter they put on when you get internet-only service - so with internet service, you can still get local digital channels (and some other stuff) too.

(at least, this is the way it currently works with the Rochester and St. Cloud systems - I'd assume it would be about the same where you are).

Edit: oh well... looks like you got this figured out already.

I have a small qam usb tuner connected to my pc. We get business internet through my wife's work and lifeline cable shows on our bill. We have Directv and have never used it. When I entered my zip in to windows media center, it just found the qam16 locals.

I found a list somewhere on the net, giving me frequencies for all kinds of qam256 channels (mostly public access ) but I had to enter all the info manually.

Is there some tuner that I can download that would automatically scan these channels for me?

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #913 of 2337 Old 03-17-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post

The FCC requires that cable companies carry all local digital channels on their system in Clear QAM (unencrypted digital)

Unfortunately, this is not as clear-cut as it seems. The laws are written vaguely and give the cable companies lots of room to meet the requirements in name only. As recently as 2009 the cable companies were still petitioning the FCC for ways around clear QAM altogether -- with some success apparently. I used to have all the FCC documents handy, but not anymore. They can be found by searching the FCC's website.

Yes the cable companies must provide a version of local channels, but the law does not give exact details on the quality, nor does it require that they carry all sub-channels.

An elderly relative of mine in St. Paul had basic cable and only watched the local channels. When he got a new TV, I hooked it up and showed him that he no longer needed to pay Comcast for a box if all he wanted was the local channels. I received several calls from him later on telling me that the HD channels had gone away.

To make a long story short, it seems that Comcast made frequent changes to the frequency and mapping locations of the local QAM channels, and the changes caused my relative's QAM tuner to lock up until a reset and rescan was performed. The Comcast people were clueless and tried to up-sell my relative on an HD package with an HD box. When I attempted to explain the situation to them and mentioned the law required them to provide the digital locals, the Comcast tech said the SD downconvert versions that were part of basic cable met the requirement and they had no obligation to provide the HD versions.

In the end, I was able to convince my relative to allow me to hook up an antenna to the TV, and shortly thereafter, he canceled his cable service.

BTW, the difference in quality between the QAM locals via Comcast and the OTA versions was astounding. The OTA version was better in every regard.
post #914 of 2337 Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info.

Charter, at least the Rochester and St. Cloud lineups are a little bit different. QAM locations have been the same for months (some of the locals haven't changed in a while) and I think the locals are bit-for-bit the same as the OTA. Comcast is way different.
post #915 of 2337 Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 PM

A question for those of you with HDTVs. Were the state tourney games in HD on 45 over the air?
post #916 of 2337 Old 03-27-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The girls HS BB was SD but of course on a 720p carrier.
post #917 of 2337 Old 04-12-2011, 10:26 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I watch the national nightly news (and I'm not even 40!) Anyway, I recently switched from ABC and tried NBC. The bass coming through both the end KARE 11 and the entire national newscast was overwhelming. A reporter was doing a report and whenever his mic was on there was a low frequency rumble. Almost like it was too low for the audio guy to detect, because there is no way it could be deemed as acceptable.

The only NBC show I watch is L&O: SVU, and I haven't really noticed the problem there. I am watching it on a HSU audyssey calibrated system clean down to 18Hz. Has anyone else with a low sub noticed anything like this?

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #918 of 2337 Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
KARE 11 themselves seem to really jack the bass levels. I've noticed this on any NBC series I watch on KARE 11's broadcasts compared to other sources (ie: Hulu, DVD, Blu-Ray).

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
post #919 of 2337 Old 04-12-2011, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Any decent set of studio monitors is going to have response down to ~40Hz.

It's good practice (and extremely common practice) to use a 12 db/octave cut, starting at 75 or 100hz for vocal mics. This dramatically reduces p-pop and wind artifacts. To increase ineligibility, especially for TV distribution, one would cut the low-mids a bit, while accenting 1-3khz "presence region" and pulling up the silibants (Over 8kHz), then running the result through a multi-band compressor and auto gain control. The results should sound intelligible over the average 3" TV speaker.

It sounds like, from the previous post, that KARE jacks up the bass in the final stage of their audio chain. Let's say their using a multi-band compressor - it's probably set to jack up and compress the low end, so there's always something there perse. If you have different source materials with different levels of low bass, such processing would even that out.

Probably somebody didn't use Low frequency rolloff EQ on the mics, which contain small amounts of wind noise, motor hum and other fun things that live down there. This garbage is getting jacked up to obnoxious levels by the processing and your flat-down-to-18hz subs are faithfully reproducing it.
post #920 of 2337 Old 04-13-2011, 02:45 AM

I've noticed lately that Entertainment Tonight has a very low sound level. So bad that commericals just blast through so loud that I switched to analog (11.0) to watch. This is OTA.
post #921 of 2337 Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamot View Post

I've noticed lately that Entertainment Tonight has a very low sound level. So bad that commericals just blast through so loud that I switched to analog (11.0) to watch. This is OTA.

Um, there is no analog 11.0 any more, so if you're seeing that on your TV, something's quirky with your tuner and that may explain the volume problem you're experiencing.
post #922 of 2337 Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

Um, there is no analog 11.0 any more, so if you're seeing that on your TV, something's quirky with your tuner and that may explain the volume problem you're experiencing.

Actually we do in my building. We have both antenna and satellite with digital to analog converters for the digital channels to accommodate non-digital TVs. With the local channels we can tune either analog or digital. Lots of people just hate to part with that old TV when it still has a good picture.
post #923 of 2337 Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 PM

Well, your setup certainly sounds unique. Out of curiosity I caught a bit of Entertainment Tonight this evening, and I do agree that the volume of the show was notably lower than the commercials. It's strange that your satellite/converter box made the sound better on analog conversion, but I suppose the volume might be boosted automatically when converted from digital to compensate for the dynamic range difference in compressed digital audio signals.
post #924 of 2337 Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

Well, your setup certainly sounds unique. Out of curiosity I caught a bit of Entertainment Tonight this evening, and I do agree that the volume of the show was notably lower than the commercials. It's strange that your satellite/converter box made the sound better on analog conversion, but I suppose the volume might be boosted automatically when converted from digital to compensate for the dynamic range difference in compressed digital audio signals.

ET has been that way for several days. I would think that someone would be monitoring their signal and correct it.
post #925 of 2337 Old 05-20-2011, 03:17 PM

For anyone interested, KSTP has announced that they will be airing the entire Harmon Killebrew funeral service that took place in AZ today on 5-2, tonight at 8PM. There was no mention of how long the service is for those who want to set their DVR.
post #926 of 2337 Old 06-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Now that all the dust has settled on the channel realignment after the digital conversion... Does anyone have recommendations for a good UHF/VHF outdoor antenna?

I have (had?) a Winegard Square Shooter on the roof which was partially damaged (one piece of the cover blown off in a storm last summer/fall), and now has apparently come off the mount completely and is flopping in the wind.

The Square Shooter may or may not still function very well. I thought it wasn't working well at all, but then I realized that it was no longer mounted on the mast and instead was face down (or up) on the roof instead of pointed ENE toward Shoreview.

So my dilema... have someone reattach the Square Shooter and see if it still works well (assume it would). OR cut my losses with the UHF only antenna and get something that is UHF/VHF.

We are currently DirecTV subscribers (contemplate cutting the provider route and going with some combination of Hulu / OTA / Netflix solution every now and then). With satellite, my main use of the antenna is for OTA reception during the summer months / thunderstorm season.

I could cut my losses with the Square Shooter and just go with the HDTVi which seems to be highly recommended and well regarded. Though the central location where I would locate it is in the basement.

Antennaweb indicates small multi-directional (yellow) for my location.

The Square Shooter did fairly well even with 9 and 11 until heavy thunderstorms at which point the reception on 9 and 11 would drop off (sometimes faster than the satellite).

Any comments / suggestions / opinions would be appreciated.
post #927 of 2337 Old 06-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

I have the older version of the Channel Master 4228HD and it works very well on 9 & 11 (VHF) as well as the other channels, which as you pointed out are UHF. How many miles are you from Shoreview? If you like, you can post the TV Fool http://tvfool.com/ and/or Antenna Web results http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx Don't forget to use very low loss feedline, like RG6 or better, at ALL points in your antenna system.

http://www.channelmaster.com/HD_tele...tenna_s/43.htm
post #928 of 2337 Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the reply Jim.

We are ~17 miles from Shoreview. All of our coax is RG-6, with direct run from the roof down to our wiring closet, through a small splitter and out to TVs via direct runs.

Channel Master 4228 seems like a good option, though it's fairly large. Do you have the 4228 (original version) or the 4228HD (newer version)? I wonder how the CM 2016 would fare in my situation?

DTV Antenna
Type Call Sign Channel Network City, State Live
Date Compass
Heading Miles
From RF
Channel
* yellow
uhf WUCW-DT 23.1 CW MINNEAPOLIS, MN 94° 16.6 22
* yellow
uhf KPXM-DT 41.1 ION ST. CLOUD, MN 330° 23.5 40
* yellow
uhf KTCI-DT 2.3 PBS ST. PAUL, MN 94° 17.4 23
* yellow
uhf K16HY-D 53.1 EWTN ST. PAUL, MN 125° 12.6 16
* yellow
uhf K25IA-LD 25.1 TBN MINNEAPOLIS, MN 125° 12.6 25
* yellow
vhf KMSP-DT 9.1 FOX MINNEAPOLIS, MN 94° 17.4 9
* yellow
uhf KTCA-DT 34 PBS ST. PAUL, MN 94° 17.4 34
* yellow
uhf WFTC-DT 29.1 MNT MINNEAPOLIS, MN 94° 17.4 29
* yellow
vhf KARE-DT 11.1 NBC MINNEAPOLIS, MN 94° 16.6 11
* yellow
uhf WCCO-DT 4.1 CBS MINNEAPOLIS, MN 94° 16.6 32
* yellow
uhf KSTP-DT 5.1 ABC ST. PAUL, MN 94° 16.6 35
* yellow
uhf KSTC-DT 45.1 IND MINNEAPOLIS, MN 94° 16.6 45
lt green
uhf WDMI-LP 62 DAY MINNEAPOLIS, MN 125° 12.6 62
blue
vhf WUMN-LP 13 UNI MINNEAPOLIS, MN 125° 12.7 13
post #929 of 2337 Old 06-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

I have the original version of the Channel Master 4228.
post #930 of 2337 Old 06-05-2011, 04:40 AM

You are close to the towers in Shoreview and can get exellent reception with a much smaller antenna. RCA makes an outdoor antenna optmized for upper VHF channels 7-13, and all the UHF channels.
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out...8&sr=1-3-spell
I've tried this on the outside of my home it provides plenty of signal. Antennaweb.org shows that I'm 15 miles from Shoreview.
Now if size doesn't matter, you can get the Channel Master 4228. I have one in my garage attic, it works great, but is really overkill.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page