Minneapolis, MN - OTA - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2071 of 2313 Old 03-14-2014, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm happy to say that WUCW began broadcasting HD this morning. Enjoy your Ring Of Honor this weekend Unclehonkey!

BTW, We never broadcast from the IDS. We were always located in Shoreview from Spectrum, through various music channels, KTMA, KLGT, KMWB and now WUCW. However we did move from the single tower to the twin towers in 2000.
unclehonkey and elfjump like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2313 Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 PM

I'm looking for some answers and hope someone can help.

Sunday we turned on our TV and realized we lost a bunch of free over the air channels. Re-scanning doesn't find them.

Here is some of what we lost:
all of 2.x
all 5.x
all 41.x

4.1,  9.1,  11.1 still work

Any ideas what our problem could be? Antenna less than 2 years old.

This is my antenna: RCA ANT751R Outdoor Antenna Optimized for Digital Reception Antenna http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/

I'm in 55387

Any help is appreciated.

post #2073 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You posted the antenna you use, but what about the feedline? Is it RG-6, RG-59, or something else? Also, how long is the run? Did you install new or used coaxial cable? Did you add the connectors yourself or were they pre-attached? Remember that when we think of reception we need to think about the entire antenna system, not just the antenna itself. You can get all the signal you need at the antenna, but if the signal can't get to the receiver through the feedline, it doesn't do you any good.
post #2074 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG23 View Post

I'm happy to say that WUCW began broadcasting HD this morning. Enjoy your Ring Of Honor this weekend Unclehonkey!

BTW, We never broadcast from the IDS. We were always located in Shoreview from Spectrum, through various music channels, KTMA, KLGT, KMWB and now WUCW. However we did move from the single tower to the twin towers in 2000.

Great, WUCW has some of the best looking HD in the twin cities, glad they can now do in house HD! I watch several shows on the CW primetime mainly for the colorful sharp HD. Hart of Dixie and Reign come to mind as great examples of quality HD.

Any chance of 23.3(ZUUS) the country music channel going fullscreen 16x9? I really detest letterboxed 4:3 as most music videos are 16:9 and zooming really degrades the already iffy SD quality.

post #2075 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

What about the feedline? Is it RG-6, RG-59, or something else? I have no idea.

Also, how long is the run? 20-50 feet? I'm not sure but it goes down two stories and through a few rooms.

Did you install new or used coaxial cable? I've used the same stuff that came with the house. Use to be used for Direct TV I think.

Did you add the connectors yourself or were they pre-attached? I'm going with pre-attached as I don't know what that is.

Also, it worked fine since the HDTV switch so I'm perplexed as to why it's not working now. Especially as it's some channels. Could it be a pre-amp issue?

post #2076 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisterMc View Post

Thanks for the feedback.

What about the feedline? Is it RG-6, RG-59, or something else? I have no idea.

Also, how long is the run? 20-50 feet? I'm not sure but it goes down two stories and through a few rooms.

Did you install new or used coaxial cable? I've used the same stuff that came with the house. Use to be used for Direct TV I think.

Did you add the connectors yourself or were they pre-attached? I'm going with pre-attached as I don't know what that is.

Also, it worked fine since the HDTV switch so I'm perplexed as to why it's not working now. Especially as it's some channels. Could it be a pre-amp issue?

Every TV station transmits their channel on different frequency spectrum and your receiving antenna system feedline must pass through the entire spectrum with as little attenuation as possible. But when moisture gets into connectors and migrates inside the coaxial feedline the wideband response gets affected and channels using higher frequencies suffer more than lower, as do stations that transmit with lower power. It is not uncommon for people to say "always worked fine, now some channels don't come in" when the feedline or connector or antenna are damaged by weather and deteriorate over time. (Nothing outdoors lasts forever without maintenance attention.) You may need to change the feedline and connectors to regain lost channels, or maybe even the antenna, although someone should first do a close physical inspection before you go to all that trouble and expense. Preamps are seldom necessary if you are within 30 miles of the TV station, and their use at closer distances usually will create overload and blackout the reception of certain channels.
post #2077 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 08:36 AM

So feed line is just the coaxial cable? I don't even know how to begin to replace that since it goes through walls. But it gives me something to look into. Thanks.

post #2078 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 10:03 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm looking for some answers and hope someone can help.

Sunday we turned on our TV and realized we lost a bunch of free over the air channels. Re-scanning doesn't find them.

Here is some of what we lost:

all of 2.x

all 5.x

all 41.x

4.1,  9.1,  11.1 still work

Any ideas what our problem could be? Antenna less than 2 years old.

This is my antenna: RCA ANT751R Outdoor Antenna Optimized for Digital Reception Antenna http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/

I'm in 55387

Any help is appreciated.
The first thing I would check is the RF numbers of the channels you are receiving and the RF numbers of the channels you aren't receiving. For instance channels 2.1, 2.2, 2.4 broadcast on RF23. 2.3 broadcasts on RF34. 5.1 and 5.7 broadcast on RF35. 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 broadcast on RF45. If you are receiving one channel on an RF channel and not the other, it is NOT an antenna issue. It could be a multi-path problem. If all the channels that you do and don't receive match up with the RF channels it could be an antenna or line problem. Some kind of new interference maybe presented itself. Another thing to consider is: there are two tower sites in Shoreview. I don't know which channels are broadcast from which tower. You might be receiving the channels broadcast from one tower and not the other. I really don't think you have an antenna issue, if you are receving some channels and not others. It has to be some kind of new interference issue. You are pretty close to the Shoreview towers.
post #2079 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

awesome.
I wondered about that as I seen a ROH commercial in HD this morning and was like "what the heck" (before I saw this thread) wink.gif

That means AWF should be too smile.gif
edit: confirmed that AWF will be in HD too. I love what they put "Tube TV's everywhere are sad about this, but AWF fans will be thrilled!" biggrin.gif
post #2080 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob10 View Post

The first thing I would check is the RF numbers of the channels you are receiving and the RF numbers of the channels you aren't receiving. For instance channels 2.1, 2.2, 2.4 broadcast on RF23. 2.3 broadcasts on RF34. 5.1 and 5.7 broadcast on RF35. 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 broadcast on RF45. If you are receiving one channel on an RF channel and not the other, it is NOT an antenna issue. It could be a multi-path problem. If all the channels that you do and don't receive match up with the RF channels it could be an antenna or line problem. Some kind of new interference maybe presented itself. Another thing to consider is: there are two tower sites in Shoreview. I don't know which channels are broadcast from which tower. You might be receiving the channels broadcast from one tower and not the other. I really don't think you have an antenna issue, if you are receving some channels and not others. It has to be some kind of new interference issue. You are pretty close to the Shoreview towers.

I'm not seeing a pattern:

+ WCCO : RF Channel 32
+ KARE : RF Channel 11
+ CWTV : RF Channel 22
+ KMSP : RF Channel 9 (we get 9.1 but not 9.2)
- KSTP : RF Channel 35
- PBS : RF Channel 34
- WFTC : RF Channel 29

+Recieving

- Not Recieving

I also checked the towers and we're getting some stations from each tower.

post #2081 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not seeing a pattern:
+ WCCO : RF Channel 32

+ KARE : RF Channel 11

+ CWTV : RF Channel 22

+ KMSP : RF Channel 9 (we get 9.1 but not 9.2)

- KSTP : RF Channel 35

- PBS : RF Channel 34

- WFTC : RF Channel 29

+Recieving
- Not Recieving

I also checked the towers and we're getting some stations from each tower.

KMSP and WFTC "cross promote" the SD stations. When the conversion happened KMSP went back to RF9 (from RF26) and lots of people lost the station. So they put a SD feed on RF29. Also they put a SD version of 29 on RF9 (that is why you get 9-1 & 29-2 but not 29-1 or 9-2)

All those stations are in the same spot (the telefarm) so you should be getting them all. 41 (rf40) is the only one not in Shoreview (its in Big Lake).
Is there a way to check the signal strength on the stations?

I'd remove the amplifier and see what happens.
post #2082 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

KMSP and WFTC "cross promote" the SD stations. When the conversion happened KMSP went back to RF9 (from RF26) and lots of people lost the station. So they put a SD feed on RF29. Also they put a SD version of 29 on RF9 (that is why you get 9-1 & 29-2 but not 29-1 or 9-2)

All those stations are in the same spot (the telefarm) so you should be getting them all. 41 (rf40) is the only one not in Shoreview (its in Big Lake).
Is there a way to check the signal strength on the stations?

I'd remove the amplifier and see what happens.

Removing the amplifier is easy. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see what happens. However, I think that once I added it I got better reception.

Thanks for all the help so far. Very much appreciated.

post #2083 of 2313 Old 03-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Please go to TVFOOL.COM, input your address, and post the results. Your address will not show up in your post.
How long have you been getting good reception? Did it just go bad? I would check the tightness of the connectors, it may have come loose because of the extreme weather where you live.
post #2084 of 2313 Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm happy to say that WUCW began broadcasting HD this morning. Enjoy your Ring Of Honor this weekend Unclehonkey!.

VERY cool to see ROH yesterday in HD. smile.gif
post #2085 of 2313 Old 03-16-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

Please go to TVFOOL.COM, input your address, and post the results. Your address will not show up in your post.
How long have you been getting good reception? Did it just go bad? I would check the tightness of the connectors, it may have come loose because of the extreme weather where you live.

Here are the results: https://cloudup.com/cWkR2kUsWJZ

We've had good reception ever since the digital switchover in 2009. And yes, it just went bad. Last Sunday we turned on the TV to watch ABC and it was gone. Not sure if the issue came up Saturday or Sunday.

I also checked the connections and they are all taped up still. I used electrical tape to keep the moisture out and things still looked good. I haven't unwrapped anything yet, but nothing seemed lose.

I've also tried without the pre-amp and had no luck getting the missing channels back.

According to the maps I look at, all signals are coming from the same basic location. The only possibility I see is that if my antenna moved slightly, it could have lost some, however I don't think that there is a good chance at that.

post #2086 of 2313 Old 03-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Your signals are strong so you should be receiving them. If your antenna looks good then I would suspect one of your coax cable has gone bad. Check to see if the cable is securely attached to the connector. Other posters have reported similar problems and found the coax cable partially detached from the connector.
post #2087 of 2313 Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Here are the results: https://cloudup.com/cWkR2kUsWJZ

We've had good reception ever since the digital switchover in 2009. And yes, it just went bad. Last Sunday we turned on the TV to watch ABC and it was gone. Not sure if the issue came up Saturday or Sunday.

I also checked the connections and they are all taped up still. I used electrical tape to keep the moisture out and things still looked good. I haven't unwrapped anything yet, but nothing seemed lose.

I've also tried without the pre-amp and had no luck getting the missing channels back.

According to the maps I look at, all signals are coming from the same basic location. The only possibility I see is that if my antenna moved slightly, it could have lost some, however I don't think that there is a good chance at that.
Could you briefly describe your preamplifier? Ordinarily the preamp is mounted right at the antenna attached with a short jumper cable. It's output connects to the coaxial down lead into the house, where there is a power supply to send voltage up to operate the preamp and TV signals to your receiver. If the preamp doesn't get power it stops passing signals, and just asking how you "tried without the preamp." And could you briefly describe the wiring distribution inside your home? Maybe something inside your house is causing your blackouts. Have you tried to rig up a direct connection from your antenna into your receiver? Have you tried an indoor antenna placed near a window on the side of your home facing the towers? Something changed at your location to blackout all those stations; you just have to play Sherlock Homes to track it down.
post #2088 of 2313 Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post

Could you briefly describe your preamplifier? Ordinarily the preamp is mounted right at the antenna attached with a short jumper cable. It's output connects to the coaxial down lead into the house, where there is a power supply to send voltage up to operate the preamp and TV signals to your receiver. If the preamp doesn't get power it stops passing signals, and just asking how you "tried without the preamp." And could you briefly describe the wiring distribution inside your home? Maybe something inside your house is causing your blackouts. Have you tried to rig up a direct connection from your antenna into your receiver? Have you tried an indoor antenna placed near a window on the side of your home facing the towers? Something changed at your location to blackout all those stations; you just have to play Sherlock Homes to track it down.

Pre-Amp is installed on the antenna pole and the power is down in the house by the TV. When I said I tried without the pre-amp, I guess I didn't really try that. I just removed the power. I have not gone directly from the antenna to the TV. I should try that.

I did try an indoor antenna but the only other one I have is kinda big too so it's awkward and hard to get at a signal. Plus it's MUCH lower.

I'll continue my Sherlock investigation and hope to find something. :)

Thanks for the help!

post #2089 of 2313 Old 03-16-2014, 02:27 PM

Thank you all!!! I found and fixed the issue. I came across it by accident, but it's better now. It was the thing that connected the antenna to the coaxel cable. One side was rusted and, even though it wasn't disconnected, it basically fell off when I touched it. I replaced that part and now have 39 channels! Which, by the way, is more than I've ever had! :eek:

post #2090 of 2313 Old 03-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

I am glad that you got it fixed. Thank you for posting the update.
post #2091 of 2313 Old 03-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

glad you figured it out smile.gif
post #2092 of 2313 Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 AM

Anyone having trouble with Kare-11 during primetime? Just noticed the problem over the past couple weeks, we were perfect before that. Very strange in that it only seems to drop out during primetime and all other channels are good.
post #2093 of 2313 Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

channel 50 update...again

50-1 is now color bars
50-2 is a black screen

I guess they're trying to get the kinks out....last night 50-3 was a black screen. I know 50-1 had some issues with picture freezing (but audio fine) constantly on some programs. Some programs were fine and they had a few Liberty University baseball games on there

edit: late last night 50-1 came back with "The Walk"
post #2094 of 2313 Old 04-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

I get no signal on RF channel 50 and I am in ZIP code 55068. I get the other channels just fine from Shoreview. Is channel 50 a lower power output or a lower location on the tower? I am using a gain antenna with very good coaxial cable.
post #2095 of 2313 Old 04-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

It is low powered. I never got the station in Shakopee until I upgraded my antenna (and no I didnt upgrade my antenna just for that) wink.gif

I think 48, 50 & 62 are all on the same tower 62 (Daystar) is on RF31 and is the strongest of the 3 signals. 48 & 50 are on those RF channels and are weaker.
post #2096 of 2313 Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I am using a gain antenna with very good coaxial cable.

what antenna do you have? indoor or outdoor?
post #2097 of 2313 Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Forgot to mention I see zap2it and Tivo have the guide info for 48 & 50 flip flopped so I sent Tivo an e-mail and they are working on it
Also requested for them to get 43 guide info for HSN2 (and not HSN)
post #2098 of 2313 Old 04-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

wow that was fast.........sent the request to tivo on sunday...got a reference number on Monday

fixed today smile.gif
post #2099 of 2313 Old 04-01-2014, 07:06 PM

Just moved to Long Lake area (55391). My house has an antenna and can get all the free channels but channel 4. I've tried different and newer antenna's from Best buy and nothing works? Is it weak signal or wrong antenna? Should I try a preamplifier?

thanks

post #2100 of 2313 Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 PM

I live in Montgomery, MN 56069. I am unable to receive most of the low power Minneapolis stations. I can occasionally receive RF 33 and 43. I can consistently receive RF 16 rather well. The RabbitEars website shows that all of the low power stations have an ERP of 15kw. I noticed on that website that RF 16 has a higher transmitter output but with less gain to get the 15kw while the rest of the low power stations have a lower transmitter output with higher gain to get the 15kw. Does anyone that receives the low power stations receive RF 16 better than the rest of them.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page