1Likes

post #2251 of 2267 Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Minneapolis, MN - OTA

Yesterday, I was adjusting my over the air antenna in an attempt to get as many channels as possible. I am doing exactly what I don't recommend, namely, I have an indoor antenna in the attic above the garage. Anyway, I would be interested in hearing from others in the Minneapolis Saint Paul market, do find yourself watching all of the over the air channels from time to time or do you end up watching just a few? Also, do you have cable, satellite, a Roku, DVD/Blu Ray player, too?

Personally, we mainly use DISH Network. Originally, when they came out with an over the air module for my receiver, I bought that to save the $5 per month for the local channels. Now, however, they have it bundled for me, so I can watch through the satellite or over the air antenna. As a practical matter, I find that I typically tune in mainly 4, 5, 9, and 11. I like having the ability to get all of the other channels that I can, but I simply don't watch the others very often.

One of the biggest benefits for me seems to be having a back up to the DISH satellite system during bad weather. Also, since DISH receivers themselves can occasionally have a problem, having the TV itself, with a built in ATSC tuner, connected to an over the air antenna is quite handy in those scenarios.

Anyway, what about by neighbors here in the Minnesota area. Are you a "cable cutter" and watching over the air exclusively, or do you also h ave cable, satellite, or something else? Do you watch all of the local channels occasionally or just a few?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2267 Old 07-13-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I've been OTA for years, briefly had cable but was turned off by all the reality and paid programming, and high cost to boot.
The center of my media experience is my Tivo, I basically watch all TV other than live news through my Tivo. I use a WD Live media player as well as my PC is hooked to my main display for streaming Netflix and things like Youtube.
I mostly watch the main channels, in order probably: WCCO, KSTP, KTCA, KARE, FOX and CW. I also appreciate the sub channels of MeTV, AntennaTV, ThisTV, the MN channel, TPTlife, Movies! and now GetTV. Don't really watch Livewell, WFTC, Bounce, KARE WX, ZUUS or any of the ION channels.
A uncle of mine was OTA for most of his live and recently got Dish because of the good price. He said he mainly finds himself watching the locals(including some sub channels he no longer gets with Dish) so he said he'll probably be cancelling his service as soon as the contract ends and going back to his antenna.
Oh I have several DVD and BD players as well, mostly watch DVDs in the DVD player but occasionally rent or have purchased a handful of BDs as well, I don't stream with my BD players but they have that capability.
post #2253 of 2267 Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also have a TV antenna that I use for local channels. I have DIRECTV too but find that I mostly watch local channels.
post #2254 of 2267 Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Minneapolis, MN - OTA

I did some comparisons after re-adjusting my antenna after the KMSP changes. I have noticed that even though I have some other TVs with newer receivers, the good old reliable Zenith DTT-901s still seem to be the most sensitive and selective ATSC receivers that I have.

Also, on a related note, what website(s) to people here prefer to find local TV channels? I like http://www.antennaweb.org/ and http://www.antennaweb.org/ Unfortunately, Antenna Web seems to be a bit lacking lately. For example, I checked my ZIP, which is 55068, and most of the channels I reeive are shown EXCEPT 25 and 33. Also, they still show channels 17 and 29 a little bit different than TV Fool does.
post #2255 of 2267 Old 07-20-2014, 05:54 PM

I think RabbitEars has the most up to date information.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php

We have been OTA since we built this house in 2004. I planned a space in the attic shooting through a gable end with no metal fasteners. We're about 70 miles northwest of Shoreview. Great signal and no regrets.
post #2256 of 2267 Old 07-22-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My OTA struggles in Oakdale

I have good 'digital' antennas in both house attic and garage attic, but they both connect to 15 y.o. house wiring. So after the digital conversion, I was having a hard time getting a strong enough signal to support TPT stations on my old (series 2) analog Tivo. Ultimately 12-18 months ago, i went to Comcast, which I hate. I now pay $90/mo (including internet), and all i watch are OTA stations anyway, and not much of that.

So I decided to mount one of my antennas (from anntenas direct) outside and surface wired it, with new quad-shield coax, directly into the back of the Tivo. (well actually into a digital converter, and then my analog tivo). I'd used a signal strength meter on TV to test signal, and I was getting a strong signal (80-90). i'm <10 miles from shoreview. So i mounted it at the first level on my house, rather than having to go up higher to second level. However, I do not think i tested signal for TPT, which appears to be weaker than 4,5,11. After all that, TPT still pixilates and drops out.

So I guess the next step is to move the antenna up higher on the wall. And I'll probably upgrade to an HD Tivo, since that digital/analog conversion is certainly NOT helping my situation. Fortunately, you can buy a lot of equipment, with what you save by cutting Comcast!

I can't believe, in my location, that i can't get adequate OTA signal for this application. Does anyone have insight on TPT signals? I read they were upgrading power, but I don't know if that has happened?

Thanks for any advice, if you have any.
post #2257 of 2267 Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlevert View Post
I have good 'digital' antennas in both house attic and garage attic, but they both connect to 15 y.o. house wiring. So after the digital conversion, I was having a hard time getting a strong enough signal to support TPT stations on my old (series 2) analog Tivo. Ultimately 12-18 months ago, i went to Comcast, which I hate. I now pay $90/mo (including internet), and all i watch are OTA stations anyway, and not much of that.

So I decided to mount one of my antennas (from anntenas direct) outside and surface wired it, with new quad-shield coax, directly into the back of the Tivo. (well actually into a digital converter, and then my analog tivo). I'd used a signal strength meter on TV to test signal, and I was getting a strong signal (80-90). i'm <10 miles from shoreview. So i mounted it at the first level on my house, rather than having to go up higher to second level. However, I do not think i tested signal for TPT, which appears to be weaker than 4,5,11. After all that, TPT still pixilates and drops out.

So I guess the next step is to move the antenna up higher on the wall. And I'll probably upgrade to an HD Tivo, since that digital/analog conversion is certainly NOT helping my situation. Fortunately, you can buy a lot of equipment, with what you save by cutting Comcast!

I can't believe, in my location, that i can't get adequate OTA signal for this application. Does anyone have insight on TPT signals? I read they were upgrading power, but I don't know if that has happened?

The TPT website shows that back on July 10 their broadcast antenna experienced a catastrophic failure.

http://www.tpt.org/?a=tptUpdate&id=2113
post #2258 of 2267 Old 07-22-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I had no idea anything was wrong, I don't believe anything was ever posted here still getting all the TPTs just fine in Burnsville with a attic antenna. Now the KSTPs are another subject, I get 5.1 fine but bad pixelation on the sub channels which must be on a different channel. WCCO use to breakup badly so I adjusted my antenna a few degrees(about all I can do in my cramped attic) and now I get CCO fine but not some of the KSTPs Since I mainly watch/record CBS and occasionally KSTPHD but rarely the subs I guess things are OK until fall or I feel like changing my attic antenna for a smaller one I can point better. My current one is long and includes VHF low, something I no longer need.
post #2259 of 2267 Old 07-23-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I have good 'digital' antennas in both house attic and garage attic, but they both connect to 15 y.o. house wiring. So after the digital conversion, I was having a hard time getting a strong enough signal to support TPT stations on my old (series 2) analog Tivo.

Karl:

I agree, at 10 miles from Shoreview, I would think you should a super signal. What is the brand and model of antenna you are using?
post #2260 of 2267 Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Minneapolis, MN - OTA

Quote:
.....I can't believe, in my location, that i can't get adequate OTA signal for this application.....Thanks for any advice, if you have any.
I am going to suggest that you try something that is going to sound incorrect. Depending on the receiver design of your particular TV, it is possible that you are actually getting too much signal and the device is overloaded. The thing to try is an in line variable attenuator. I bought one from Radio Shack years ago, but I know other places carry them, too. With that in line, you may find that most channels need no attenuation. Try attenuating the ones that need it only.
post #2261 of 2267 Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WUMN-LD received a TSID from the FCC yesterday. Generally, though not always, receipt of a TSID is a sign that a station plans to sign on digitally in the near future. Keep an eye out.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2262 of 2267 Old 07-24-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WUMN-LD received a TSID from the FCC yesterday. Generally, though not always, receipt of a TSID is a sign that a station plans to sign on digitally in the near future. Keep an eye out.

- Trip
For those who don't immediately know(as I who had to visit Trip's site) WUMN-LD is our last remaining analog channel, 13 the Univision Spanish channel
post #2263 of 2267 Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 PM

OTA on DIRECTV and AM21

With the change of MOVIES and BOUNCE to 9.3 and 9.4 respectively in the Twin Cities on 6/24/2014, and the addition of GET on 23.2 a few days later. It is now possible to get these channels if you use an AM21 with a DIRECTV subscription in the Twin Cities. Just by using the Twin Cities zip you should receive 9.3 MOVIES with the wrong guide, 9.4 BOUNCE with the correct guide and 23.2 GET with the correct guide. I guess DIRECTV is making subtle changes to their database of OTA channels. 23.2 was just recently added to the database for the Twin Cities.
post #2264 of 2267 Old 07-25-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

My Tivo had a message this AM about it adding info for 9.4 also.
post #2265 of 2267 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
For those who don't immediately know(as I who had to visit Trip's site) WUMN-LD is our last remaining analog channel, 13 the Univision Spanish channel
I have no signal whatsoever on channel 13 tonight. It sometimes doesn't come in down here but there is usually some background noise and some audio signal which is missing this evening. Anybody have reception closer to the tower? I also tried scanning 17 for digital signal but nada.
post #2266 of 2267 Old Today, 07:13 AM

Last night I picked up channel 17-2, 17-3 and 17-4. There was a signal there but no picture or sound. This morning there is Spanish programming on 17-2 but nothing on the other two sub channels. There is no 17-1. The signal is strong here in Minnetonka near highways 394 and 169 but the picture quality is very poor. It has noise in the picture and it's too bright. Sound volume is also much lower than other channels. They are broadcasting 480i in 4:3 format. It looks the same as it did when it was analog channel 13. The other low power channels all look much better. I didn't realize that the reason channel 13 looked bad was because the signal into the transmitter was bad.

On my Sony TV I put in 17.1 and it found the station on 17.1 with programing but the .2 and .3 are blank. Then I did a digital channel scan and it showed up as channel 15.1-4 but no picture or sound on any channels.

Luckily I don't know Spanish and have no reason to watch this channel. It's a shame though for others who would want to watch this.

Last edited by Runch Machine; Today at 07:43 AM.
post #2267 of 2267 Old Today, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I'm sure they're still working on things.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List