AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
tivo emailed me back saying "24 to 48 hours" to fix the WUMN thing

noticed it updated with 62-2 (RF31) with HmongTV in 4 hour blocks. They moved it from RF50. I know earlier in the week 50-2 & 50-4 had color bars but now cant lock the signal
A long 24-48hrs..........it's been almost a month and I still have no guide info for WUMN UNI anyone else showing anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2335 Old 08-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
nope
post #2313 of 2335 Old 09-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

soon it will be "so long HSN2...Hello Telemundo"

per northpine

DTV America Corp. plans to launch a Telemundo affiliate in Minneapolis. DTV America is buying low-power station K43HB-D from Ventana Television for $125,000, and a graphic on DTV America's website is touting the Telemundo launch. K43HB-D transmits from the IDS Center with 15kW. It currently carries HSN2, having switched from the main version of Home Shopping Network after ION's KPXM-TV added HSN on channel 41.6. As a Telemundo affiliate, it'll join Media Vista's Univision affiliate WUMN-LD/17 and two religious TV subchannels in serving spanish-language audiences in the Twin Cities.
post #2314 of 2335 Old 09-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

what is going on with Channel 17 (WUMN Univision...not the station now on 2-3)

Looks like an analog picture being shown on digital station. Wavy lines and picture looks like crap
post #2315 of 2335 Old 09-29-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems obvious to me that basically NO one watches WUMN I mean Tivo still hasn't added guide info and apparently no one else is complaining to Tivo, probably no one else watching it would be my guess......
Ya I noticed that crummy analog picture quality too, wonder where the heck there getting that feed from
post #2316 of 2335 Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
KMSP converted its analog translator in Brainerd to digital yesterday. It is now relaying the transport stream of WFTC satellite KFTC in Bemidji, with the following channel lineup: 26-1 KMSP (720p), 26-2 WFTC (720p), 26-3 Movies! (480i). As revealed in this article at the KMSP website, this also marks the start of a new lineup for KFTC itself, which previously only broadcast WFTC in standard definition. Furthermore, the article mentions that the analog KMSP translator in Walker will also be converted to digital with the KFTC channel lineup. There's no word on whether the analog translators owned by Fox/KMSP in Bemidji, Little Falls, and Wadena will also be converted to digital. Presumably the Bemidji one won't, now that KFTC is broadcasting KMSP, and the Little Falls one may not either since the Brainerd translator covers quite a bit more area in digital and should be receivable with an outdoor antenna in most parts of Little Falls.
unclehonkey and HamRadio like this.
post #2317 of 2335 Old 10-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

sweet. New station to try and get at the lake house (North end of Mille Lacs)
post #2318 of 2335 Old 10-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First post here on the forums despite lurking various parts of the site, and I'm definitely overwhelmed with all the unfamiliar terminology regarding OTA TV. I have a Homeworx HW110AN Super Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna that I bought for dirt cheap on Amazon. I understand that a cheap indoor antenna like that is going to have limitations and is not ideal, but I live in an apartment so it's an easy solution. I'm definitely impressed with the channels and quality I get overall... but for some reason I can't get NBC (KARE, 11-1). I see that KARE and the local Fox station, KMSP, broadcast on Hi-V. But I get KMSP perfectly. I guess I'm just confused as to why I can get virtually every other channel with no issues but KARE gets absolutely no reception. Is it something as simple as the location of my antenna? Or does KARE do something different with its broadcast that makes it harder to get?
post #2319 of 2335 Old 10-05-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

No KARE broadcasts the same as everyone else, I'd suspect multipath may be your issue. Have you tried moving your antenna a bit(left, right, up, down) and trying a rescan of your TV? If the TV doesn't catch the station during a channel scan it may not tune it, even if the signal is now available. I had a similar thing happen with my iView STB/DVR, I believe with channel 4.1. I ended up moving my antenna a few degrees, unplugging and replugging in my iView and finally doing a channel scan, finally it came in.
You may get better luck with an antenna like a Terk HDTVi(discontinued) or similar amplified HDTVa which are more directional and hence better at multipath, they also have a pair of rabbit ears for VHF reception.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rk+hdtvi%2Caps
Good luck and welcome to AVS
post #2320 of 2335 Old 10-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epro99 View Post
but for some reason I can't get NBC (KARE, 11-1). I see that KARE and the local Fox station, KMSP, broadcast on Hi-V. But I get KMSP perfectly.
When you log channel 9 is it on 9-1 or 9-9?
A month or so ago KMSP/WFTC did some moving around of channels. So on RF29 (which is UHF) you can get 9-1 (Fox 9), 9-2 (My29) and 9-4 (Movies!)
RF9 has Bounce on 9-3 and Fox9 on 9-9
post #2321 of 2335 Old 10-05-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Anyone still have issues with the channel 9 subchannel reshuffling? Or is is just a Dishnetwork problem at this point? 9-1 and 9-2 have the guide data reversed.

FYI, Dish finally resolved this within the last couple of days.
post #2322 of 2335 Old 10-05-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
A month or so ago KMSP/WFTC did some moving around of channels. So on RF29 (which is UHF) you can get 9-1 (Fox 9), 9-2 (My29) and 9-4 (Movies!)
No, RF29 has 9-1(Fox 9), 9-2 (My29) and 9-3 (Movies!). Then RF9 has 9-4 (Bounce) and carries Fox 9 on 9.9.
post #2323 of 2335 Old 10-05-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
No KARE broadcasts the same as everyone else, I'd suspect multipath may be your issue. Have you tried moving your antenna a bit(left, right, up, down) and trying a rescan of your TV? If the TV doesn't catch the station during a channel scan it may not tune it, even if the signal is now available. I had a similar thing happen with my iView STB/DVR, I believe with channel 4.1. I ended up moving my antenna a few degrees, unplugging and replugging in my iView and finally doing a channel scan, finally it came in.
You may get better luck with an antenna like a Terk HDTVi(discontinued) or similar amplified HDTVa which are more directional and hence better at multipath, they also have a pair of rabbit ears for VHF reception.
*link removed because I have to have 5 posts to post a link*
Good luck and welcome to AVS
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll try moving and re-scanning. Good to know about multipath - I may eventually break down and look into a better antenna.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob10 View Post
No, RF29 has 9-1(Fox 9), 9-2 (My29) and 9-3 (Movies!). Then RF9 has 9-4 (Bounce) and carries Fox 9 on 9.9.
Channel 9 comes up as 9-1, and I also get 9-2 and 9-3. All perfect signals.
post #2324 of 2335 Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

so you're getting it from RF29 then which is UHF.
post #2325 of 2335 Old 10-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Grit TV coming to CW23 (WUCW) soon per Sinclair agreement

Sinclair Broadcast Group will carry Grit — the male-centric over-the-air broadcast television network — in 47 markets as part of a major new distribution agreement with Katz Broadcasting announced today by Jeffrey Wolf, chief distribution officer for Grit.
Among the markets where Sinclair stations will launch Grit are: Seattle; Minneapolis; St. Louis; Portland, Ore.; Pittsburgh; Raleigh, N.C.; Baltimore; Nashville; Columbus, Ohio; Milwaukee; Oklahoma City; Norfolk, Va.; Asheville, N.C.; and Buffalo, N.Y.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/7...YQb_k.facebook

will we get a -4 in Minneapolis or will Zuus Country leave (like it did in other markets when they added GetTV)
post #2326 of 2335 Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Grit TV coming to CW23 (WUCW) soon per Sinclair agreement

Sinclair Broadcast Group will carry Grit — the male-centric over-the-air broadcast television network — in 47 markets as part of a major new distribution agreement with Katz Broadcasting announced today by Jeffrey Wolf, chief distribution officer for Grit.
Among the markets where Sinclair stations will launch Grit are: Seattle; Minneapolis; St. Louis; Portland, Ore.; Pittsburgh; Raleigh, N.C.; Baltimore; Nashville; Columbus, Ohio; Milwaukee; Oklahoma City; Norfolk, Va.; Asheville, N.C.; and Buffalo, N.Y.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/7...YQb_k.facebook

will we get a -4 in Minneapolis or will Zuus Country leave (like it did in other markets when they added GetTV)
According to the Rabbit Ears website. We will be getting a 23-4 WUCW for Grit, thus retaining 23-3 ZUUS.
post #2327 of 2335 Old 10-10-2014, 02:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I've been unable to get an official answer out of their media contact person to know that for sure.

- Trip
unclehonkey likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2328 of 2335 Old 10-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob10 View Post
According to the Rabbit Ears website. We will be getting a 23-4 WUCW for Grit, thus retaining 23-3 ZUUS.
There are examples where Sinclair dropped Zuus when they added GetTv so we don't know for sure
post #2329 of 2335 Old 10-11-2014, 02:54 PM

Hello-

Looks like the perfect place to get more info to solve my problem.

I just installed a Clearstream 2V antenna in my attic in Robbinsdale, MN.

I am ~9 miles from the transmitters with a 50 mile range antenna. I am aimed in the right direction, according to AntennaWeb, etc.

Almost every channel comes in great; with the exception of 2.1 (TPT2).

That channel has periodic noise; both audio dropouts and pixelated images.

I have a fairly short run of new RG6 cable coming from the antenna to the TV.

Along the line I have a Radio Shack FM Trap (hoping to improve the situation) and a good quality splitter (trying to feed both upstairs and downstairs TV; although only upstairs is connected at this moment).

Any ideas on what to try next?
post #2330 of 2335 Old 10-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Try moving the antenna within the attic a foot or two higher, lower, closer or farther. You are getting multipath distortion on channel 2. Moving the antenna a bit should resolve the problem.
post #2331 of 2335 Old 10-12-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Evanger View Post
...Along the line I have a Radio Shack FM Trap (hoping to improve the situation) and a good quality splitter (trying to feed both upstairs and downstairs TV; although only upstairs is connected at this moment).

Any ideas on what to try next?
Have you tried removing the splitter? Also do you have a terminating resistor on the unused tap or wall jack? A unterminated connection can be a point where multipath can enter, especially in a stronger signal area where it sounds like you may be.
I'd also agree with Runch, sometimes moving your antenna a small bit will greatly help with multipath, which I'd guess is your problem.
post #2332 of 2335 Old 10-12-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Have you tried removing the splitter? Also do you have a terminating resistor on the unused tap or wall jack? A unterminated connection can be a point where multipath can enter, especially in a stronger signal area where it sounds like you may be.
I'd also agree with Runch, sometimes moving your antenna a small bit will greatly help with multipath, which I'd guess is your problem.

I think you are on to something, here.

Every time I tested sub-sections of the final assembly, so to speak, things looked great.

Right now I have a single unterminated cable, coming from the splitter, awaiting installation into the basement. I will terminated it and use a terminating resistor and see how it looks.

I'm guessing that will take care of it. Thanks for the idea; I'll let you know how it turns out.
post #2333 of 2335 Old 10-12-2014, 06:50 PM

No such Luck

First I terminated the second cable. Not fixed.

Then I bypassed the FM trap and the splitter, going straight from the antenna to the TV.

Probably better, but not perfect.

Channel 2.1 (tpt 2) still has sporadic pixelation and loss of audio.

Any other ideas? I guess I may have to move the antenna outside. It should work right where it is....

I guess I can re-position the whole setup within the attic a bit.
post #2334 of 2335 Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 PM

Looks like I may have fixed it.

I moved the antenna ~3 feet to the left (a bit further away from a metal roof vent), and aimed it in the "wrong" direction.

This new alignment does not point toward the towers, but it also does not point toward my power lines in the alley.

It seems to be much better.

I now have the Clear Stream 2V, the Radio Shack FM trap, a high bandwidth splitter, one leg going to my TV, the other leg terminated for right now.

All channels seem good, with no pixelated images or audio drop-outs...as of yet.

Thanks for your help, AVS forum.
post #2335 of 2335 Old 10-17-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
2-1 is on ch. 34 which is UHF. FM traps aren't going to do squat for UHF. Their purpose is to cut down FM (88-108MHZ) so that they don't drive a pre-amplifier into overload, creating 2nd harmonic distortion and interfering with VHF-Hi channels 7-13 (174-216mhz, exactly 2x FM). You'd only see a difference on 9 & 11 if it were an issue.

Power lines (and electrical impulse noise in general) is not a factor on UHF.

Metal objects can create multipath and (at short distances) can mess with the antenna impedance - creating negative effects on reception too complicated to articulate here.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page