post #2491 of 2500 Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I'm showing listings for 11.3 on my Tivo......have been for quite some time I believe.
same here. Has shown listings since launch (1/20)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2500 Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You guys have a recommendation for an OTA tuner antenna? I'm in Burnsville and so far have had bad luck with some passive ones I found at Menards...Thinking a small exterior antenna? Omni directional would be nice, but I'm open to ideas.
post #2493 of 2500 Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
You guys have a recommendation for an OTA tuner antenna? I'm in Burnsville and so far have had bad luck with some passive ones I found at Menards...Thinking a small exterior antenna? Omni directional would be nice, but I'm open to ideas.
Depends on several variables. If you really want to know the best antenna options for your specific location, look up your specific address at TVFool.com and post the link in this thread, which is signal and antennae focused, and you should be on your way. A little bit of reading now will yield great results.

Good luck.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #2494 of 2500 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Minneapolis, MN - OTA

Quote:
.....Omni directional would be nice, but I'm open to ideas.
Why do you want omni-directional? Isn't everything that yo want to receive coming from Shoreview?

Maybe you can check out this store in Burnsville and report back to us! http://www.shopjimmy.com/

Last edited by Jim1348; Yesterday at 10:04 AM.
post #2495 of 2500 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
If I were doing it over I'd get a CM4228 8 bay bowtie and mount it outside. I'm in Bville and running a UHF/VHF in my attic and get pretty decent results but do occasionally have issues with 4.1 and the 5s breaking up due to multipath. From what I've read even thought the 4228 is listed as VHF it does quite well for high VHF(channel 9). You don't really need nor really want a omni-directional antenna as every thing except 41 comes out of Shorview and in Burnsville Big Lake(where 41 comes from) is near enough in direction to Shorview, so I just point my antenna at Shorview and it gets 41 just fine(80s-90%).
You'd probably be able to get by with a 4228 in your attic if it's big enough but if your not adverse to an outside antenna thats really best as attic installs tend to lose a fair amount of signal and worse rafters can cause weird multipath, which is what I experience at times.
If you wanted to try and get Rochester or even Mankato then a rotor and outside mount would be required. I'm happy with just the many stations we have in the cities, 40+ I believe.
post #2496 of 2500 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
re: antennas. I live in Lakeville, and my antenna is in the attic, pointed generally toward Shoreview. It was put there in the middle 1990's, so it pre-dates digital TV. The antenna feed comes into the basement where it is connected to a splitter to send out feeds to several different rooms. This worked just fine in the analog days. After digital, it was mostly fine, with some signals occasionally being marginal and even more occasionally dropping out altogether. I could never pick up 41.x reliably at all.

After I bought the DVR+, I put another splitter on the feed to the DVR+ so I could be recording 2 channels while watching a 3rd (using just the TV.) Again, this mostly worked, but was even more shaky as you might expect.

I bought this device, placed it in the basement instead of the splitter there, and reception is MUCH better. I can even get 41.x reasonably well on the DVR+ and on 2 of the 3 tvs.
post #2497 of 2500 Old Today, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
now I see zap2it switched the listings for H&I back to what is on this week (new changes supposedly take place next week)
TitanTV has it right
post #2498 of 2500 Old Today, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
If I were doing it over I'd get a CM4228 8 bay bowtie and mount it outside. I'm in Bville and running a UHF/VHF in my attic and get pretty decent results but do occasionally have issues with 4.1 and the 5s breaking up due to multipath. From what I've read even thought the 4228 is listed as VHF it does quite well for high VHF(channel 9). You don't really need nor really want a omni-directional antenna as every thing except 41 comes out of Shorview and in Burnsville Big Lake(where 41 comes from) is near enough in direction to Shorview, so I just point my antenna at Shorview and it gets 41 just fine(80s-90%).
You'd probably be able to get by with a 4228 in your attic if it's big enough but if your not adverse to an outside antenna thats really best as attic installs tend to lose a fair amount of signal and worse rafters can cause weird multipath, which is what I experience at times.
If you wanted to try and get Rochester or even Mankato then a rotor and outside mount would be required. I'm happy with just the many stations we have in the cities, 40+ I believe.

I'm not opposed to an outdoor antenna, but I think that having that outside, might put my wife over the edge! She is still getting over the mostly black painted theater room... I could put something like that in the attic, or something a little easier on the eyes outside.

This is what I was originally looking at

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_792SKY6...6291185&awdv=c

I guess I only wanted omni directional for easy of install, just slap it up however it looks the best and it should work fine, but you guys recommend directional?
post #2499 of 2500 Old Today, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Personally I'd stay clear of the amplified antennas like you've linked, if you need to feed more than a couple TVs I'd just use a distribution amp with a non amplified more directional antenna. I also preferred an attic mount, somewhat for looks but more for durability of keeping it out of the elements(wind, snow, etc.). My antenna is many years old but looks like new.
I know someone in Burnsville who went with an Antennas Direct C2 in the attic and it's working quite well but if I went that route I'd opt for the C4 which while it costs more you may be able to get by without a amp for feeding multiple TVs, it will also give you a better chance of getting CH41 out of Big Lake/St. Cloud. Don't be afraid of directional antennas, just aim them in the general direction of Shorview(probably NNE) and use your TVs signal strength meter for fine tuning. A drawback of omni-directional antennas is they are lower gain for a given size and they are much more prone to multipath, probably your biggest issue when mounting in a attic. Like the CM4228 8 bay bowtie, the C2 or C4 are listed as being UHF but in our area they work just fine for high VHF for KMSP9.
Here's a link to the C4, the same place sells the C2.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=C4-CJM&ss=438909
post #2500 of 2500 Unread Today, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page