Minneapolis, MN - OTA - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

Old 12-10-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by spycake View Post
Oh no! Where's my 2 Broke Girls?
And Life in Pieces
Interesting what WCCO is doing, my Tivo shows football on 4.1 but a movie Four Friends on Decades(4.2).....I'll have to watch 4.2 live to see when things start
Thanks for the heads up unclehockey, I'd have never known
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2015, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have any information on Comet TV. If our local WUCW (Sinclair owned) has any plans on adding Comet in the near future. If they plan on dropping 23.2 (Get) or 23.3 (Grit) to add Comet. Or if they add it by creating another sub-channel 23.4.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob10 View Post
Anyone have any information on Comet TV. If our local WUCW (Sinclair owned) has any plans on adding Comet in the near future. If they plan on dropping 23.2 (Get) or 23.3 (Grit) to add Comet. Or if they add it by creating another sub-channel 23.4.
In one way I'd like them to just add it because I like Get and Grit but in another I also like the pretty decent 1080i picture quality of the CW23 and I worried adding yet another sub just may put them into a macroblocking mess, ala KSTP
Old 12-13-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
pretty sure if they do add Comet that it would replace GetTV. That is what happened when Comet launched and now with the Sinclair/AntennaTV deal from most accounts when Sinclair adds AntennaTV (in markets where there isnt one now) it replaced GetTV
Old 12-13-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
In one way I'd like them to just add it because I like Get and Grit but in another I also like the pretty decent 1080i picture quality of the CW23 and I worried adding yet another sub just may put them into a macroblocking mess, ala KSTP
You do realize KSTP uses almost 1/2 its bandwidth for the stupid (IMO) MobileTV?
When I had access to KSAX (living near Brainerd) the picture looked really good on KSAX compared to KSTP
KSTC looks fine with 1 HD and 3 SD stations
Old 12-13-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

One other tidbit

DTV America recently added GetTV to a 1/2 dozen markets that didnt have it previously. Since they own KJNK 25 maybe if Sinclair drops GetTV (if it was dropped it would be 1/1) DTV America maybe picks it up?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:41 AM

An e-mail I received from WUCW states that they have no current plans of adding COMET to their lineup. Although they are owned by Sinclair, they have to honor their current contract's with GET and GRIT. Things might change in the future, but for now the programming on WUCW will remain the same.
worachj likes this.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

which is interesting as they (Sinclair) added GetTV to most of their affiliates at the same time and yet Sinclair dropped them for GetTV on Oct 31 and from what folks have posted elsewhere the GetTV contract is up on the 1st of the year and Sinclair is adding Comet then. They are also adding AntennaTV in areas there isnt one right now
Old 01-06-2016, 02:08 PM

DTV America is going to add LAFF on KMBD-LD 43.3 RF43 in the Twin Cities. I don't know the start date, but the way it sounds it will be soon. I don't know if that means 25.3 will be carrying it or not.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
DTV America is going to add LAFF on KMBD-LD 43.3 RF43 in the Twin Cities. I don't know the start date, but the way it sounds it will be soon. I don't know if that means 25.3 will be carrying it or not.
It would be finally a reason to enable one of the 25s in my household. Truthfully I don't have any of those religious, low power, or shopping channels checked on my channel scan so I never see them. At one point I had the 2 Spanish channels enabled(once they went digital and HD) but have since unchecked them as they never had anything on that I was interested in or could understand.
My scan list goes right from 11.3 to the 23s and then to a couple of the 41s(the ones that aren't shopping channels).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laff_%28TV_network%29
Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is 43 even on the air right now? I didnt think it was
Old 01-07-2016, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Is 43 even on the air right now? I didnt think it was
I currently get nothing on 43.....25s come in loud and clear.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:31 AM

KMBD-LD channel 43 has been off of the air for awhile. On the Rabbitears.info website it shows 43.3 as a LAFF affiliate. The LAFF website also shows 43.3 as an affiliate. My 43.3 is showing nothing, also. It probably will not be active until LAFF starts on 43.3, which is still undetermined. We will see I guess. I don't know if that means 25.3 will carry LAFF. Both channels are owned by DTV America and used to show the same programming when 43 was active.

Last edited by robrob10; 01-07-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I currently get nothing on 43.....25s come in loud and clear.
thats what I thought. I get 25 just fine but 43 (and 48,50,62) are just ghosts
Old 01-07-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
KMBD-LD channel 43 has been off of the air for awhile. On the Rabbitears.info website it shows 43.3 as a LAFF affiliate. The LAFF website also shows 43.3 as an affiliate. My 43.3 is showing nothing, also. It probably will not be active until LAFF starts on 43.3, which is still undetermined. We will see I guess. I don't know if that means 25.3 will carry LAFF. Both channels are owned by DTV America and used to show the same programming when 43 was active.
When DTV bought and put Telemundo on 25 they shut down 43 (it had HSN2 on it at the time)
I hope they put it on 25 too as the coverage for 25 is much better than 43 is
Old 01-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone having trouble getting 41 tonight? (Monday Jan 11). My field strength meter shows decent signal strength but the TV has little or no signal and what signal there is, is pixilated.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

working here by Mistake Lake (signal is low but my antenna is aimed NE so 41 is usually low...but stable)
Old 01-12-2016, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Old 01-20-2016, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 100
TV stations - including 20 in Twin Cities - being paid for going off the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootymonger View Post
What is the actual impact of this? Even worse reception? Fewer channels?

Will there even BE any OTA television in 10 years?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You mean there willing to pay over a quarter of a billion dollars each for many of our local channels to go off the air Say a channel like WCCO goes off the air, could they still send their signal to cable and sat companies, just not have a tower for the OTA people to receive from?
While I'd doubt someone like WCCO would do such a thing(although why not if they can continue to get money from pay TV carriage fees.....) I could see them maybe taking the 1/6th of a billion dollars to move to VHF low and not really care a lot about who can or cannot get their signal......I mean with the payout and pay TV carriage fees, anyone who could actually get their signal would just be gravy.
I could also see a channel like K33LN-D either taking the money and running or moving, I mean the $180 Million to shutdown or even 135 Million to move to a band that not as many people could get reliably has got to be tempting....

Of course if many of the channels move to VHF Low or even VHF High, many of the people who only recently purchased or replaced their VHF/UHF antennas with UHF or UHF/VHF high, will kind of be SOL
Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In New York, the CBS station could get even more. The value there is nearly a billion (with a 'B') dollars.

Articles I've seen have already had CBS and NBC officials stating that on a national level there was interest from them in giving up spectrum.

Something not mentioned is the option of sharing - which could see stations getting in bed with each other.

Broadcasters will get the same money for giving up spectrum and sharing with another station as they will to give it up and get out of the business, though they will be sharing that money with the station they will be teaming up with. "There is a lot of money to be had by each individual broadcaster," said an FCC official briefing reporters.
So you could have one station choosing to go to VHF-LO -- getting the lower payout -- while another station (or more) takes the complete buyout and then share frequency. Lots of coin made by everybody in that deal.

Yes -- consumers are on the short end here, as there is certainly not a good future for OTA in the ol' USA.

http://mpi-dirsa.com/sitio/fcc-spect...rs-and-losers/

Last edited by eherberg; 01-20-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added link to external article.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I can only imagine what the picture quality would look like with 2 1080i channels on the same VHF low frequency As people get larger and larger sharper and sharper TVs the stations will be broadcasting worse and worse picture quality.....sure makes sense to me of course for the vast majority who use either cable or sat it may not be a issue, depending on how they get their signal from the local channels.
I still wonder if it would be possible for a local station to drop off the air(OTA) but still have a pay TV presence? Seems like a win win for the local channels, ditch the maintenance of a OTA tower(and probably all the support people) and just fiber the signal to the pay companies, save lots of money on power too since they wouldn't be actually broadcasting anything.....maybe I should hold of purchasing that TV for the basement.......was hoping to pick up a decent 55"+ model before the Super Bowl and I have very little interest in pay TV. Thanks big government
Old 01-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Although I have seen articles (like the consumer one I linked) mention the possibility of a local station going strictly cable, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the FCC articles. I would imagine it is completely possible and likely not mentioned because it would now be a private matter between the station and the cable company. Some have mentioned that the multiplexing of stations on a single channel will be better with ATSC 3.0. Although technically true -- I would bet we will never see ATSC implemented. Not in any OTA environment we would recognize, at least.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
....Some have mentioned that the multiplexing of stations on a single channel will be better with ATSC 3.0. Although technically true -- I would bet we will never see ATSC implemented. Not in any OTA environment we would recognize, at least.
I assume you meant to say ATSC 3.0 would never be implemented? Personally I'm not sure. While ATSC 3.0 would render all TVs(and Tivos, etc) tuners obsolete, the same way NTSC only tuners were obsolete after the switch to digital I'm just not sure anyone cares enough about OTA to go through the effort. I mean it would be a way to switch to 4k but if they are thinking of doing it as a way to add more stations to a shrinking bandwidth, 4k channels would probably take up a whole channel, similar to what we have now.
Either way, even if they switch to ATSC 3.0 it's my belief we'll either get lots of low quality(macroblocking) 1080i/720p channels or a 4k channel that soon will be macroblocked by adding to many sub channels(as they are doing now with ATSC 1.0?). My guess is the best quality of OTA has come and gone(remember the old PBS HD that had no subs ).
Satellite and streaming seem to be the future of TV, like it or not
Old 01-21-2016, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
What is the actual impact of this? Even worse reception? Fewer channels?

Will there even BE any OTA television in 10 years?
Where I live, VHF channels seemed to have better reception than UHF channels anyway (back before the digital conversion, higher numbers usually had a little more snow), so if they sell off a few of the oddball channels and move the major ones to a lower frequency, it might improve reception. For example, CBS is typically fine, but some days it is bad enough to be unwatchable. That might improve if they move frequencies. So, it will certainly mean fewer channels, but it might mean better reception in some cases (or perhaps worse). I can see some image quality reductions if they share channels, but once ATSC 3.0 comes around in a few more years (yes, you'll need another converter box), the entire system will change and they might be able to use more modern compression methods to deliver a wide variety of 4K signals over-the-air without significant quality reduction or limits to the number of channels. In other words, wait and see... hope for the best...
Old 01-21-2016, 04:51 PM

Yes, I meant ATSC 3.0. :-)

I suspect the old reception differences between UHF and VHF had more to do with signal strength and the stations themselves than the frequency. A change to VHF meaning the return of big, ugly antennas versus the small, sleek antennas doesn't help OTA adoption.

Besides - the fiasco of the last digital migration makes me not optimistic about the adoption of a new standard so relatively soon. With networks already stating they don't have any real interest in it (but interested in eliminating their current frequencies), I am not hopeful. Unlike Europe, free broadcasting in this country has not really been handled well or with consumer-focused thinking.

If it is implemented at all - I actually think it would be as some kind of tiered-pay model. Perhaps marketed and presented like the Airbox channels. I don't think there will be much political or public pressure to bring it about for everybody. Heck - imagine the people buying UHD sets (who for some reason are buying them before the standard was even finalized) who then find out that standards-compliant UHD sets will be marketed as UHD-Premium -- and then will need another box on top of it? Not to mention the rest of the people outside of that group.

If OTA survives at all 20+ years from now, it will be only on the backs of those who are OK with the multi-plexed channel quality. Perhaps because I was raised in a rural area with B/W TV in a world of color TV - I am not as put-out by picture quality assessments. I have never joined in on those discussions because it is hard for me to take anybody seriously as they describe a digital picture as 'unwatchable' due to the number of sub-channels.

Although it makes no sense to me how a system where you need a separate data stream for every single one of your subscribers is somehow better than one transmission that reaches everybody - that is apparently not the world as it is. With networks not aggressively pitching cord cutting (due to the lucrative nature of retransmission fees) - I can easily see them being happy with a world where they are pay-only ... either through cable companies or their own pay-wall brought about by ATSC 3.0
Old 01-29-2016, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
VHF-Lo DTV has been tried and was almost completely abandoned because it's sensitive to electrical impulse noise, which is (in many locations) random and hard to eliminate. Plus it would require big VHF-Lo capable antennas. A customer service nightmare if there ever was one.

ATSC 3 uses COFDM modulation which is immune to variable multipath. And codec wise, it uses h.265 which is oodles more efficient than the MPEG 2 we currently use. Transitioning to a few shared channels of ATSC 3 broadcasting 1080 while at the same time cutting down on subchannels would be a decent solution. But if ATSC 3 were to ever be implemented, it should be done within a year or two.

If I'm reading into all that s correctly, we could have data being broadcast in between TV channels, which could be a real mess I'm terms of amplifiee overload and whatnot.

I understand the spectrum is more valuable and probably better served as more space for mobile data. Kind of goes against the trend of cord cutting though. I know there are a lot of corporate politics at play here, but if broadcasters offered free streaming on devices or even for a small fee of $2/Mo or something, I wouldn't care what happens to OTA. They need to figure out how to serve the "cord never" and cord cutter segments that won't involve a $100/mo subscription.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:31 PM

BOUNCE coming back to the Twin Cities. I just noticed on Rabbitears.info that 43.1 KMBD is picking up BOUNCE as an affiliate. DTV America owns KMBD and as of right now the station is off of the air. I don't know when the channel is scheduled to start broadcasting, but 43.1 will be Bounce and 43.3 will be Laff. I wonder if DTV America plans on picking up an affiliate for 43.2. I guess, we just have to wait and see when the channel starts broadcasting and if 43.2 will have an affiliate.

Last edited by robrob10; 01-30-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 PM

I just checked the ESCAPE website. It has Minneapolis listed as an affiliate on 43.2 KMBD. So it will be interesting as to (when) and (what) channel 43 KMBD will look like when it starts broadcasting.

Last edited by robrob10; 01-30-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Comet is coming to Minneapolis soon

Per Iceberg over at satelliteguys he posted a pic from a comettv commercial that says "Coming Soon to the Twin Cities on 23.4"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here