Minneapolis, MN - OTA - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #2941 of 2961 Old 08-29-2016, 02:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Mobile DTV was discontinued pretty much everywhere else that it was in use, so it wouldn't surprise me if KSTP had also shut it down.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 2961 Old 08-29-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Thank god if it did! IMO it was a huge waste of bandwidth that only a very very few ever bothered to use and it effected 99+% of everyone else because of the poor picture quality it gave ABC HD. I'll be able to tell right away once DWTS starts, with MDTV on, DWTS was a macroblocking mess! Anytime strobes or well lite fast motion started the picture would be a awful mess! I sure hope it's gone and a big RIP from me
post #2943 of 2961 Old 08-29-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 44
awesome! Now I can watch ABC college football without it looking like mush
post #2944 of 2961 Old 08-29-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Little bit of DX this morning due to the humidity and the fog

The 2 "usuals" for me
KAAL ABC 6 (36) from Austin and KIMT CBS 3 (42) from Mason City

Also grabbed for almost an hour
WEAU NBC 13 (38) and WQOW ABC 18 (15) Eau Claire.
onwisconsin likes this.
post #2945 of 2961 Old 09-01-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Whoa! Checked my Tivo this afternoon and all 4 of my Roamio OTA tuners were on one channel(9.1 FWIW). Thinking it might have rebooted sometime during the night I checked out the messages and sure enough it had a TON! Actually just 2 new ones from sometime today, the first one said error (M60) Show Info Has Run Out.....which was odd as it was showing many days last night......and another message after that saying A Lineup Change Has Occurred. The last one is the one that was MANY pages long. It said several channels were moved(2.6 to 23.7, 23.2 to 23.4, 29.2 to 9.2) but most were deleted, pages and pages of those odd channels that I never see. You know the ones, they start out something like K21, K26, K32, etc. which I assume might be translators?? They also added many more pages of channels, again nothing I get, more of the K channels and others I've never heard of.
I've read that TVGOS is taking over Tivo's guide service, I have a feeling this is what it's all about. To early to say if they've got everything correct but personally I'm not really looking forward to it. As a longtime user of TVGOS(before it basically died) they were just AWFUL on adding/deleting channels and I never cared as much for their guide service as much as Tribune/Tivo, time will tell.......
post #2946 of 2961 Old 09-01-2016, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Whoa! Checked my Tivo this afternoon and all 4 of my Roamio OTA tuners were on one channel(9.1 FWIW). Thinking it might have rebooted sometime during the night I checked out the messages and sure enough it had a TON! Actually just 2 new ones from sometime today, the first one said error (M60) Show Info Has Run Out.....which was odd as it was showing many days last night......and another message after that saying A Lineup Change Has Occurred. The last one is the one that was MANY pages long. It said several channels were moved(2.6 to 23.7, 23.2 to 23.4, 29.2 to 9.2) but most were deleted, pages and pages of those odd channels that I never see. You know the ones, they start out something like K21, K26, K32, etc. which I assume might be translators?? They also added many more pages of channels, again nothing I get, more of the K channels and others I've never heard of.
I've read that TVGOS is taking over Tivo's guide service, I have a feeling this is what it's all about. To early to say if they've got everything correct but personally I'm not really looking forward to it. As a longtime user of TVGOS(before it basically died) they were just AWFUL on adding/deleting channels and I never cared as much for their guide service as much as Tribune/Tivo, time will tell.......
yup. Rovi and Tivo merged and they are rolling out the "new and improved" (yeah right) guide. I got it last week (I read on tivocommunity about it and did the reboots/force connections myself)

IT SUCKS ROCKS!!!
You are correct about the translators. Basically Rovi (tvguide uses their service too) loads a bunch of the Minneapolis DMA stations that are rural in the list. Its a giant clusterf**k. I don't see KEYC yet it shows KCCW...really? I looked at the lake house (Brainerd) and it is missing the analog 16 (KSTP translator) so at the lake I cant record ABC.

The guide is so screwed up. I have 2 1P (one passes) that worked fine but now suck
TMZ (yeah I know) first showed no new episodes. So I re-created the 1P and it will record ALL of them because Rovi doesnt put a "first aired" date so it thinks they ALL are new
Through the Decades....same thing. This one I had to create a manual reoccuring (M-F) timer for 6-7am so I dont get the 3 repeats in the same day.

Sports? Don't even bother. I use to have one NASCAR 1P which recorded ANY NASCAR race on 9 or 11. Now I have one for Xfnity, 1 for Cup and 1 for Trucks.

I had 4 other 1P's that I had to redo because it couldnt find the show yet it was in the guide.
Also the guide has lots of generic descriptions whereas Gracenote (Tribune) had good episode info.

I'm just happy my TivoHD (Series3) hasnt gotten it yet.
post #2947 of 2961 Old 09-01-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

you may have to do a couple forced connections to get the guide back
post #2948 of 2961 Old 09-01-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
you may have to do a couple forced connections to get the guide back
Oh I have a full guide, not sure what was up with the warning but it was probably generated after all the changes and before it automatically downloaded listings.
My Series 3 Tivo HD is also kind of a orphan and not really supported, will it continue using Tribune for guide and if so how long will it be available?
Not looking forward to 1P problems. I have tons and rely on OAD and the R icon to know what is a repeat and not re-record, like I said before I'm quite familiar with TVGOS and never really cared for their guide nor customer service
post #2949 of 2961 Old 09-02-2016, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
yup. Rovi and Tivo merged and they are rolling out the "new and improved" (yeah right) guide. I got it last week (I read on tivocommunity about it and did the reboots/force connections myself)

IT SUCKS ROCKS!!!
You are correct about the translators. Basically Rovi (tvguide uses their service too) loads a bunch of the Minneapolis DMA stations that are rural in the list. Its a giant clusterf**k. I don't see KEYC yet it shows KCCW...really? I looked at the lake house (Brainerd) and it is missing the analog 16 (KSTP translator) so at the lake I cant record ABC.

The guide is so screwed up. I have 2 1P (one passes) that worked fine but now suck
TMZ (yeah I know) first showed no new episodes. So I re-created the 1P and it will record ALL of them because Rovi doesnt put a "first aired" date so it thinks they ALL are new
Through the Decades....same thing. This one I had to create a manual reoccuring (M-F) timer for 6-7am so I dont get the 3 repeats in the same day.
No changes on my Series 3 Tivo, again is Tribune going to continue to supply guide info for it? That will be odd if thats the case, they could have different listings.....I just hope they don't drop guide service as my Series 3 has lifetime guide service.....

Sports? Don't even bother. I use to have one NASCAR 1P which recorded ANY NASCAR race on 9 or 11. Now I have one for Xfnity, 1 for Cup and 1 for Trucks.

I had 4 other 1P's that I had to redo because it couldnt find the show yet it was in the guide.
Also the guide has lots of generic descriptions whereas Gracenote (Tribune) had good episode info.

I'm just happy my TivoHD (Series3) hasnt gotten it yet.
Wow that was kind of a PIA! I had to go through all my channels and uncheck all the translators and such I can't even get and recheck some that somehow were now not checked. Didn't notice much different in my 1P's but truthfully now not much is recording, I'll have much more once the new season starts later in September.
I did notice a difference between Tribune and TVGOS though. Tribune lists males as actors and females as actresses, TVGOS calls them all "actors" which may be the PC term but I still prefer the old terms as it tells me if a particular actor is male or female. I find it handy when I see someone in a show I might know, if it's a name like Carrol or Bobbie I can't tell if it's a male or female without the old terms. I noticed this a week?? ago in my listings and I bet it's around when TVGOS took over
I also noticed several things set to record that were old but I specifically had my 1P setup to only record new episodes.......more bugs? I simply removed them from my to-do list but I didn't have this problem before TVGOS, at least it was very rare and mostly in the case of SNL where no matter how I had my SNL 1P set, it insisted on recording the Saturday primetime repeats!
No changes on my Series 3 as of yet, will it continue to get listings from Tribune? If thats the case they could have different listings......I just hope they continue to supply guide info for it as it has "lifetime" service on it and I'd hate to lose that.

Last edited by jjeff; 09-02-2016 at 07:33 AM.
post #2950 of 2961 Old 09-02-2016, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow that was kind of a PIA! I had to go through all my channels and uncheck all the translators and such I can't even get and recheck some that somehow were now not checked. Didn't notice much different in my 1P's but truthfully now not much is recording, I'll have much more once the new season starts later in September.
I noticed (at least using the 55379 Shakopee zip) they (Rovi) put 2-4 (TPT WX) on RF23 instead of RF34 so I showed 2 2-4. One with guide that wont tune and one with no guide but will tune

Quote:
I did notice a difference between Tribune and TVGOS though. Tribune lists males as actors and females as actresses, TVGOS calls them all "actors" which may be the PC term but I still prefer the old terms as it tells me if a particular actor is male or female. I find it handy when I see someone in a show I might know, if it's a name like Carrol or Bobbie I can't tell if it's a male or female without the old terms. I noticed this a week?? ago in my listings and I bet it's around when TVGOS took over
I also noticed several things set to record that were old but I specifically had my 1P setup to only record new episodes.......more bugs? I simply removed them from my to-do list but I didn't have this problem before TVGOS, at least it was very rare and mostly in the case of SNL where no matter how I had my SNL 1P set, it insisted on recording the Saturday primetime repeats!
The Rovi movie listings are like what my mom would give...real long. So long by the time you get to the actual if its cut off.

Quote:
No changes on my Series 3 as of yet, will it continue to get listings from Tribune? If thats the case they could have different listings......I just hope they continue to supply guide info for it as it has "lifetime" service on it and I'd hate to lose that.
they will. Its in Beta right now. The only one being shut down is the Series 1 which takes its last update on 9/15
I have a S3 too
And yes they have different listings. I record TMZ on the S3 now instead of the Roamio due to the S3 figuring out the 6:30 one is new and the 11:35 and 3:30am ones are NOT

I read the letter that Series 1 folks got and I laughed when I read they are updating to a "superior program information"
http://tivocommunity.com/TiVo_Series...munication.jpg
post #2951 of 2961 Old 09-02-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

The other thing that annoys me is they will put the actors name and who played it in the listings....then lists it again below in blue
post #2952 of 2961 Old 09-02-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

another strike against TVGOS!
I recorded Johnny Carson(Tonight Show on 5.4) last night and according to TVGOS(on my Roamio) it showed "actor".....Lily Tomlin and singer Natalie Cole. The recording this morning had neither. When I checked my Series 3 it showed Author Neil Simon and baseball player Joe Garagiola, which was correct! Damn I really rely on who's going to be on a particular show so I know who's going to be on and decide if I want to record it. If I can't rely on who they say is going to be on, well what purpose is the guide
Oh and TVGOS showed a OAD of 12/3/75, which was incorrect! My series 3 showed the correct 1982 OAD, TVGOS can't seem to get anything right! Tonight both my Roamio and Series 3 agree on OAD and star listing....guess I'll need to check both before deciding on whether to record something or not, at least until my Series 3 gets the same TVGOS virus my Roamio got
post #2953 of 2961 Old 09-05-2016, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UHF spectrum

Built a 2-bay bowtie and was able to pick up whopping 59 virtual channels from 17 RF channels with the antenna propped on a chair in an upstairs bedroom. Attached is the UHF spectrum as received here in 54017 (WI) with my SDR working as a cheap spectrum analyzer. I labeled all the stations on the spectrum that were successfully decoded without errors. I'll make another post in the technical forum about how I did this later, but I figured folks would appreciate this as a reference of stations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spectrum_470000000-698000000_14528 AM_952016.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	1642793
post #2954 of 2961 Old 09-12-2016, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey all...

Just watched the following..

http://www.kare11.com/tech/how-to-re...enna/262308802

Good info.. I am using the following antenna which is UHV\VHF..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rca-mult...&skuId=3789144

Of course I can get every local channel but KARE which is frustrating. I am in Blaine in an Apartment facing north. Is there a specific antenna you recommend?

Thanks!
post #2955 of 2961 Old 09-14-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
The antenna you got at Best Buy is only for UHF. Channel 11 is VHF. I recommend that you get the Terk HDTVI. There are aerials that pull out and up like traditional "rabbit Ears" antennas. The front is for UHF, the aerials are for VHF. My daughter uses one at her condo and it works great. The TV towers are in Shoreview so you should get good results with the right antenna. The antenna is available for order at Walmart on line but is also on line at Home Depot for less. There is an amplified version of the antenna which I recommend that you do NOT get. The amp is not needed where you are.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/47488605?...&wl13=&veh=sem
post #2956 of 2961 Old 09-14-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
another strike against TVGOS!
I recorded Johnny Carson(Tonight Show on 5.4) last night and according to TVGOS(on my Roamio) it showed "actor".....Lily Tomlin and singer Natalie Cole. The recording this morning had neither. When I checked my Series 3 it showed Author Neil Simon and baseball player Joe Garagiola, which was correct! Damn I really rely on who's going to be on a particular show so I know who's going to be on and decide if I want to record it. If I can't rely on who they say is going to be on, well what purpose is the guide
Oh and TVGOS showed a OAD of 12/3/75, which was incorrect! My series 3 showed the correct 1982 OAD, TVGOS can't seem to get anything right! Tonight both my Roamio and Series 3 agree on OAD and star listing....guess I'll need to check both before deciding on whether to record something or not, at least until my Series 3 gets the same TVGOS virus my Roamio got
so how did you like the last few days with the "TBA" in the guide? Or the 24 hours of it just saying "The Justice Network Programming?

Rovi sucks...simple as that. Tivo did mention that they seem to fix the TBA stuff and a force connect fixes it (confirmed on my ROamio)
post #2957 of 2961 Old 09-14-2016, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

So how jacked up is this...

Last night my Series 3 (Tivo HD) took the "new and improved" Rovi guide. But depending on the zip my channel list is nice or it looks like a trash heap

I have used 55379 (Shakopee) on the old listings (Gracenote/Tribune) and it had the Mpls stations in it fine. Now with Rovi it adds some stations in the rural part (KCCW Walker, K48IF Brainerd) along with 6 & 10 from Rochester. But if I use 55318 (Chaska) the list is cluttered with the translators from Alexandria, St James (Godhal tower), KWCM Appleton, even some on translators from Wilmar and Olivia. My list is over 100 channels. When it was Gracenote it had some of these but not as many of these bogus stations but not as bad as Rovi

So if you have a list of gobs of transator stations and live in Minneapolis you might want to run a new guided setup with 55379 as your zip.

One other quirk is it shows the 25's in there TWICE...as KJNK-LD. So it shows as
25-1
25-1
25-2
25-2
25-3
25-3
25-4
25-4

But if you try and remove ONE of them it removes both. But Since I watch nor record anything on those maybe I'll just remove them
post #2958 of 2961 Old 09-15-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes I had to remove tons of translators off my Roamio a few weeks back when it got the Rovi virus
I got a message yesterday that my Tivo HD was scheduled to get the Rovi virus with it's next download. I suppose I'll have to go through all the translator deletions on that within the next few days. I've read that the Rovi system has issues with translators and I believe it. Also the TBA or missing guide info is supposed to be either fixed or fixed within a day or so.......time will tell but I won't put up with no description on the many shows I only record if I see someone I'd be interested in, that won't do!
Rovi(TVGOS or Macrovision) whatever you want to call them, was always spotty at best on my equipment that used it for guide service, I'm NOT looking forward to this on my Tivo's which up to now have always been 99.9% accurate for me and generally quick to fix guide issues, TVGOS(Rovi) was never able to correct some channel issues in the past, again NOT looking forward to this with my Tivos
post #2959 of 2961 Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Yes I had to remove tons of translators off my Roamio a few weeks back when it got the Rovi virus
I got a message yesterday that my Tivo HD was scheduled to get the Rovi virus with it's next download. I suppose I'll have to go through all the translator deletions on that within the next few days. I've read that the Rovi system has issues with translators and I believe it. Also the TBA or missing guide info is supposed to be either fixed or fixed within a day or so.......time will tell but I won't put up with no description on the many shows I only record if I see someone I'd be interested in, that won't do!
Rovi(TVGOS or Macrovision) whatever you want to call them, was always spotty at best on my equipment that used it for guide service, I'm NOT looking forward to this on my Tivo's which up to now have always been 99.9% accurate for me and generally quick to fix guide issues, TVGOS(Rovi) was never able to correct some channel issues in the past, again NOT looking forward to this with my Tivos
Anyone notice that ch.23-4 is listed as Comet (should be GetTV) even though the program info is correct for GetTV. Comet is on ch. 23-2. Thus the program info is correct for both channels, it is just the icons that are incorrect.
post #2960 of 2961 Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes I also get 23.4 showing Comet but only get WUCWDT2 for 23.2(no name or icon for 23.2).
post #2961 of 2961 Old Today, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hafer View Post
Anyone notice that ch.23-4 is listed as Comet (should be GetTV) even though the program info is correct for GetTV. Comet is on ch. 23-2. Thus the program info is correct for both channels, it is just the icons that are incorrect.
saw that when Rovi took over but minor issue. Would prefer a more accurate guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page