AVS Forum banner

Minneapolis, MN - OTA

856K views 6K replies 373 participants last post by  DrDon 
#1 ·
Here's a brief summary of the OTA channels available in the Twin Cities, arranged by analog channel number (numbers less than 1000kw or directional are not full-powered unless otherwise noted):

KTCA (TPT2) - digital 34 - PBS HD 24x7 feed. 340kw directional.

WCCO (CBS) - digital 32 - fully HD compatible. 1000kw.

KSTP (ABC) - digital 50 - fully HD compatible. 1000kw.

KMSP (Fox) - digital 26 - fully HD compatible. 691kw (full power) directional.

KARE (NBC) -digital 35 - fully HD compatible. 1000kw.

KTCI (TPT17) - digital 16 - 5 PBS multicast. 50kw (full power).

KMWB (WB) - digital 22 - HD compatible. 20kw directional.

WFTC (UPN) - digital 21 - no HD. 1000kw (full powered) directional.

KPXM (Pax) - digital 40 - no HD. 1000kw (full powered) directional.

KSTC (Ind) - digital 44 - multicast analog 45 and HDNet. 205kw.

Local website devoted to Minneapolis/St.Paul HD programming/stations:
www.hdtvtwincities.com

See less See more
#3 ·
I live within 2 miles of the antenna in Shoreview. I am able to pick up all of the channels with a regular tv antenna (the more expensive indoor antennas are too strong). The picture comes in great for all of the channels; however, I get no sound on 5.1 or 5.2. Any thoughts? Sound is fine on all of the other channels. I would like to get this corrected before the Vikes game on Monday. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by northofnine
The picture comes in great for all of the channels; however, I get no sound on 5.1 or 5.2. Any thoughts?

If you haven't tried it yet, a rescan of your channels might help. KSTP keeps monkeying with their PSIP information to try to resolve problems like the one you've mentioned. If nothing else works, contact Dick Rice at KSTP. He's really good at helping individuals with their problems.

#8 ·
Thanks to the Twins game. Even though this game was already available on ESPN, the local ABC affiliate chose to preempt all of the regular programming in favor of the game. Can you tell I'm not a baseball fan? Lost is just about the only reason that I watch ABC to begin with, and now I've been forced to miss this week's episode. So far, I don't see any alternate showing listed for this episode. Does anyone have any idea if KSTP will air a re-showing of this within the next week so that I can make sure the Tivo is ready?

Thanks,

jj

#11 ·

Quote:
jeffthx said:

Does anyone have any idea if KSTP will air a re-showing of this within the next week so that I can make sure the Tivo is ready?

I you want to see it in HD, rotsa ruck. So far KSTP has never shown a delayed HD broadcast in HD. They may not have the proper equipment, and I think they don't care.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
Why? Doesn't it say LOST was aired at it's normal time in HD?

Yes, I said that because he did not know it, and posted after it aired.

#14 ·
Yep--that's the problem...I had no idea about this until I went to sit down at about 8:15 to watch the show (which should have recorded at 7pm). I have Lost set up on both my HD Tivo and my SD Tivo, but neither one picked up the channel change.

If anyone is willing to hook me up with a recorded copy (VHS or DVD), I'd happily pay all expenses. Please let me know.

Thanks,

jj

#16 ·
Nice! let's see what was I going to say? Oh yeah... here's the problem. Every week so far this year, MNF on my Sammy 151 OTA box in Rosemount comes in just fine, shows up 5.1 on my Yammie receiver, picture's great, no break-ups. However, the only dialog coming from my center channel is from the booth only. All the other dialog, cut-aways to the side line, interviews, etc. don't come out of the center channel. Is everyone else getting ALL the MNF dialog through their center channel (5.1 receiver) using the OTA signal ? Anyone ?

#19 ·
I use the UHF only outdoor antenna from Radio Shack and that thing works great ($22, don't have the part number handy). Pulls in every channel with signal to spare, I've never had a reception problem I can attribute to the antenna. That said, I'm in about the most ideal spot to receive the signals from Shorewood. Although I'm roughly 20 miles away, I can actually see the towers from my deck at night.

I've heard from multiple people that the Terk antennas are overpriced junk. Also be aware of anyone claiming their antenna is "HD enhanced" or any marketing crap like that. Digital is on UHF, plain and simple. An antenna that works for UHF will work for digital and HDTV.

#21 ·
There are currently no DTV channels on VHF (at least not in the Twin Cities, I think it's true for the entire US). Supposedly when the FCC shuts off analog transmission and the VHF stations are reclaimed, they could allocate those frequencies to DTV, but I don't see it happening. In any case it's years off. They keep pushing the shutoff date out. I wouldn't worry about it.

#22 ·
#23 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast351
There are currently no DTV channels on VHF (at least not in the Twin Cities, I think it's true for the entire US). Supposedly when the FCC shuts off analog transmission and the VHF stations are reclaimed, they could allocate those frequencies to DTV, but I don't see it happening. In any case it's years off. They keep pushing the shutoff date out. I wouldn't worry about it.

There *are* a lot of digital stations on VHF currently, and there will be more when the analog shutoff takes place.

Right now, the DTV "core" is defined as channels 2-51, meaning that any channel broadcasting outside of that range will need to relocate after the analog shutoff. It seems unlikely that major channels will want to use channels 2-6 because of reception issues that make those frequencies undesirable for digital signals. Still, the FCC will not be auctioning off VHF frequencies.

Best guess right now is that the analog shutoff will occur in 2009. The date seems reasonable, and attainable.

#24 ·
I have a couple quick questions. Are the Minneapolis networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, & FOX) all O & O stations? If they are then I assume everyone in the area is eligible for HD feeds of CBS & NBC (and eventually FOX) via D*? If so, I'm think I might 'move' to your beautiful city. Thanks.

Mark

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by hiltsy855
I have a couple quick questions. Are the Minneapolis networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, & FOX) all O & O stations? If they are then I assume everyone in the area is eligible for HD feeds of CBS & NBC (and eventually FOX) via D*? If so, I'm think I might 'move' to your beautiful city. Thanks.

CBS is O&O. Fox is O&O. NBC's affiliate is owned by Gannett, and ABC's by Hubbard.

#26 ·
In the Twin Cities area, all digital channels broadcast in the UHF Band. A VHF antenna is not needed. A UHF only antenna will do a fine job. I recommend the Channel Master 4221.