Tulsa, OK - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 893 Old 01-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else had problems with the audio on ABC the past few nights, its beem pop city. My reciever keeps on switching from "digital" to "pro logic". With the audio on my TV it pops too. I'm getting 92% signal strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 893 Old 01-04-2006, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine has been just fine Giga.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #93 of 893 Old 01-06-2006, 12:06 PM

I'm moving to Owasso in about 3 weeks and was wondering about the HD-DVR box that Cox supplies. Mainly interested in it's functionality. Currently I have the HD-Tivo through D* but unfortunately the house I'm moving into only has 1 RG6 cable to the outlet and there is no way for me to run another one. So unless I give up the 2 tuner functionality it's a no go. I suppose I could use 1 input strictly for satellite and 1 tuner strictly for OTA but the majority of the time I seem to watch local channels so unless I'm able to split out the OTA feed into 2 after the dipole it will be limited.

What I would like to know is how much HD content can the DVR hold and does it have dual tuner capability like the D* box. Also if I went the other route what are my chances of picking up the all the OTA channels in the attic in Owasso. HOA convenant restricts anything but a dish on the roof

Thanks
post #94 of 893 Old 01-06-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

SerhC,

I don't know much about your Tivo but the Cox supplied DCT-6412 is a dual tuner unit. You can record two channels and watch a third that has been prerecorded. As far as how much HD it will hold that varies depending on if you are recording 720p or 1080i. I would say 12 to 18 hours is the max on average of HD programming.

To see what digital channels you can pick up in Owasso go to www.antennaweb.org and insert your zipcode.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #95 of 893 Old 01-06-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerhC View Post

I'm moving to Owasso in about 3 weeks and was wondering about the HD-DVR box that Cox supplies. Mainly interested in it's functionality. Currently I have the HD-Tivo through D* but unfortunately the house I'm moving into only has 1 RG6 cable to the outlet and there is no way for me to run another one. So unless I give up the 2 tuner functionality it's a no go. I suppose I could use 1 input strictly for satellite and 1 tuner strictly for OTA but the majority of the time I seem to watch local channels so unless I'm able to split out the OTA feed into 2 after the dipole it will be limited.

What I would like to know is how much HD content can the DVR hold and does it have dual tuner capability like the D* box. Also if I went the other route what are my chances of picking up the all the OTA channels in the attic in Owasso. HOA convenant restricts anything but a dish on the roof

Thanks

I live in Owasso and can pick up everything but the WB in HD (or I should say DTV) with my Rabbit Ears on top of the entertainment center. So I'd guess an attic antenna should work great.

BTW- can anyone pick up a DTV WB station in the Tulsa area? Is it coming out of Muskogee?

=MATT=
post #96 of 893 Old 01-13-2006, 11:12 AM

FYI- Cox CSR states memo confirms MTV service added at channel 739 on Mon, 1/16.
post #97 of 893 Old 01-13-2006, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thall85 View Post

FYI- Cox CSR states memo confirms MTV service added at channel 739 on Mon, 1/16.

Thanks for the info, I'm not much into MTV these days but more HD is always a good thing.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #98 of 893 Old 01-13-2006, 01:28 PM

There are several HD channels I would prefer over MTVHD
post #99 of 893 Old 01-16-2006, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Ditto but I'm not complaining..

Channel just launched some 8 minutes ago.
post #100 of 893 Old 01-16-2006, 03:10 PM

I'm in Cox Fairfax, no new channels in my interactive guide... I guess I didn't get it.
post #101 of 893 Old 01-16-2006, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I added MHD to the first post guys.

Woohoo!!
post #102 of 893 Old 01-18-2006, 12:38 PM

Regarding other channels we would like, but have not yet been added, I did a review of Cox's other systems and was suprised to find that 77% of their systems' channel lineups show PBS-HD, while 57% of their systems have TNT-HD. Each of us should make our wishes known to our local system to add these 2 channels, assuming you also want them.

See:

St City------------- TNT PBS
AR Fort Smith------- xxx 700
AZ Phoenix--------- 725 708
AZ Tucson---------- 725 706
CA Bakersfield------- 722 xxx
CA Orange County-- 718 710
CA Palos Verdes----- 718 xxx
CA San Diego------- 734 711
CA Santa Barbara--- 722 xxx
CT New England---- 714 703
FL Gainesville--------707 720
FL Gulf Coast------- xxx 709
GA Middle Georgia---716 xxx
ID Sun Valley------- xxx 700
KS Wichita---------- xxx 607
LA Greater La.-------xxx 700
LA Baton Rouge-----728 712
LA New Orleans-----725 712
NC North Carolina--- xxx 715
NV Las Vegas--------709 731
OH Cleveland------- 709 702
RI New England-----xxx 703
TX West Texas----- xxx 704
TX Greater Texas----xxx 700
VA Fairfax---------- 714 726
VA Fredericksburg-- xxx 726
VA Hampton Roads--766 715
VA Roanoke-------714 704

(6 systems have neither, including OKC and Tulsa).
post #103 of 893 Old 01-18-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

thall85,

Any suggestion on the best manner with which to convey our wishes to Cox?

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #104 of 893 Old 01-18-2006, 03:46 PM

I think I will try and stop by in-person, next time I'm near 51st and Garnett, to speak with a management rep re their HD programming. Absent an in-person visit, I would think that telephone calls to the CSR's from several of us would be the next best method, asking specifically that the information be flagged for relay to management.

I plan on emphasizing that I am evaluating the amount and type of HD programming available for the upcoming year, to determine if I will stay with Cox or switch to D* or E*. Cox sees HD (& the HD PVR) first as a tool to entice DBS users to switch to Cox and second to reduce churn. I plan to emphasize the total services I use and pay for (digital cable, telephone and Internet), which I expect is proportionately higher than the average non-HD user. I would expect most HD users are in this same vein. Of course I don't have the exact #s for all Tulsa HD users, but I think the best point is simply an economic one. We will vote with our feet, if additional HD programming is not added to the system, to our satisfaction.

This article indicates that some additional channel(s) will be added in 2006, probably ESPN2HD: http://www.cableworld.com/cgi/cw/sho...bigpicture.htm
post #105 of 893 Old 01-18-2006, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Good plan you have there, I'll do the same. Perhaps if enough of us explain our alternatives it will bear fruit.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #106 of 893 Old 01-19-2006, 11:30 AM

Hey everybody! I'm a new member here at AVS, although I've been a frequent poster over on HTF and HTT.

I've been a DISH Network subscriber and have had a HDTV-ready TV for several years, but have never upgraded to HDTV becuase of equipment costs.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an OTA tuner so I can receive at least the local broadcasts in HD, and have a few questions:

1. I live in Midtown Tulsa (near 41st and Harvard) and was wondering what the best antenna to get for this location. An indoor powered antenna? One of those ones that wraps around my DISH receiver? The antenna site says small multi-directional for all of the stations, except for KTUL (because it's VHF I guess); but I was wondering if anyone has any real-world experience for recommendations.

2. I noticed at the start of this thread that both Fox and ABC are broadcasting in 720p. I have one of the older Panasonic RPTVs that will not do 720p... it does 1080i only. Will my OTA receiver convert 720p to 1080i so that I can see those broadcasts, or am I just out of luck?

3. Any recommendations on a OTA receiver?

Thanks everyone!
post #107 of 893 Old 01-19-2006, 02:32 PM

Jeff P,

Hope you enjoy the HD programming. I find sports, music concerts and nature/ science programs to best show off the difference between SD & HD. I think the standard advice on an OTA antenna is to start with the indoor Silver Sensor to see if it is sufficient, available for around $40 from Sears and others. As for an ATSC box, both Sam's and Walmart carry boxes for under $200. Of course the modern E* and D* HD boxes will all do OTA too.

All of your questions are treated exhaustively one forum over, in the HDTV Reception Hardware Forum. ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25 ) There are stickys at the top of the page for each of your questions: one for Antennas, one for STBs and one for OTA FAQs.

You might also consider Cox, if you want to continue paying a service provider. Cox rents its HD DVR STB for $10 per month. This includes HD programming from the 3 local stations, plus additional channels: ESPNHD, Discovery HD, Universal HD, INHD, INHD2 & MHD (new this week from MTV).

Hope this helps.
post #108 of 893 Old 01-20-2006, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the reply, thal.

Yesterday I found a combo UHF/VHF antenna at RadioShack that I'm going to try out first, mounted in my attic.

Quote:

You might also consider Cox, if you want to continue paying a service provider. Cox rents its HD DVR STB for $10 per month. This includes HD programming from the 3 local stations, plus additional channels: ESPNHD, Discovery HD, Universal HD, INHD, INHD2 & MHD (new this week from MTV).

I have a grievance with Cox. I had a really bad experience with them several years ago and vowed NEVER to return. I have Dish Network now, and am quite happy with it -- price and service wise.

My only issue with them is that I need to buy a new box if I want HDTV support.

Since most of HD watching would be on prime time TV and live sports, I can get most of that via OTA. (ESPN notwithstanding)
post #109 of 893 Old 01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2. I noticed at the start of this thread that both Fox and ABC are broadcasting in 720p. I have one of the older Panasonic RPTVs that will not do 720p... it does 1080i only. Will my OTA receiver convert 720p to 1080i so that I can see those broadcasts, or am I just out of luck?

OTA box should convert to 1080I. My TV is the same way.
post #110 of 893 Old 01-22-2006, 05:51 PM

Has anyone who uses cox tried connecting your hdvr box via HDMI instead of component, and did you see much of a difference?

Being relatively new the AV sceen: if this does in fact make a difference at all, would it make a difference with all stations or only HD stations?

Put me on the list of those who will be pushing for TNT and ESPN2....does anyone have a favorite person over at COX with whom relaying future station expectations/ and wishes is beneficial?

jay
post #111 of 893 Old 01-22-2006, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the series II STB with DVI out. I can tell no difference between the DVI compared to a component connection.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #112 of 893 Old 01-25-2006, 04:27 PM

OK, so I got my set-top box today (Samsung T451) and everything is great except for one thing... I can't get KJRH at all...

This is confusing to me, becuase I'm getting everything else that I want (basically the major networks and PBS) just fine. I'm confused as to what this could be since all of the stations seem to be broadcasting from approximatly the same location.

Furthermore, if I was going to have any problems receiving any of the stations, I would think that it would be KTUL, since it is VHF, farther away and at a bit different angle.

For my antenna, I have a combo UHF/VHF antenna from RadioShack mounted in the attic that is supposed to have a ~50 mile range for VHF and ~70 mile range for UHF. It is pointed at approximately 110 degrees. I figured that was plenty antenna, considering my angle and distance for each station, which is listed below:

KTFO-DT - 106 degrees - 15.4 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KOED-DT - 107 degrees - 15.7 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KOKI-DT - 106 degrees - 15.4 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KOTV-DT - 107 degrees - 15.7 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KWHB-DT - 107 degrees - 15.7 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KTUL-DT - 113 degrees - 20.3 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KJRH-DT - 107 degrees - 15.7 miles (NOTHING)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
post #113 of 893 Old 01-25-2006, 05:23 PM
BGK

I live farther than you do from the towers, but I am having a similar problem. I can receive all of the Tulsa locals + PBS just fine, except KJRH-DT. It used to come in fine, but recently, the signal is very sporadic. I have major drop offs, and the signal strength goes from 80s down to 0 and then back up. It sounds like multipath problems, but I would have thought I would have the problem on other channels also. I am wondering if KJRH has changed their signal strength recently or something.
post #114 of 893 Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM

UPDATE --

It's working now. When I originally scanned, it must have just been in one of those intermittant times when the signal was weak, because I re-scanned about 90 minutes after I posted this, and now it's fine... coming in at full signal strength.

Weird...

Oh well... at least I have it now.
post #115 of 893 Old 01-25-2006, 07:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

OK, so I got my set-top box today (Samsung T451) and everything is great except for one thing... I can't get KJRH at all...

This is confusing to me, becuase I'm getting everything else that I want (basically the major networks and PBS) just fine. I'm confused as to what this could be since all of the stations seem to be broadcasting from approximatly the same location.

Furthermore, if I was going to have any problems receiving any of the stations, I would think that it would be KTUL, since it is VHF, farther away and at a bit different angle.

For my antenna, I have a combo UHF/VHF antenna from RadioShack mounted in the attic that is supposed to have a ~50 mile range for VHF and ~70 mile range for UHF. It is pointed at approximately 110 degrees. I figured that was plenty antenna, considering my angle and distance for each station, which is listed below:

KTFO-DT - 106 degrees - 15.4 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KOED-DT - 107 degrees - 15.7 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KOKI-DT - 106 degrees - 15.4 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KOTV-DT - 107 degrees - 15.7 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KWHB-DT - 107 degrees - 15.7 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KTUL-DT - 113 degrees - 20.3 miles (Strong signal, perfect reception)
KJRH-DT - 107 degrees - 15.7 miles (NOTHING)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I used to have this problem on my older hughes e86 receiver. I had to enter 56.1 ( the actual digital channel number) to get KJRH then it would go back to 2.1. I have not had it happen on the newer receiver I just got.
post #116 of 893 Old 02-08-2006, 07:31 AM

We have Cox HD/DVR service on 1 TV and digital on the 2nd TV. When talking to cox when we got the HD/DVR a few weeks ago they said there would be no problem having 2 HD/DVR boxes. Well yesterday we went to get the 2nd and the lady at the counter said they are only giving 1 per house. Anyone ran into this problem? She said 2 to 5 months before they could give 2 out.

The TV we wanted to put the 2nd HD/DVR on has a built in tuner but doesn't seem to be getting the local HD channels over the digital cable box, just a black pic with sound. The ESPN HD and stuff like that however says subscription service needed. Is the black pic and audio normal? Is an antenna the only way to get the locals.
post #117 of 893 Old 02-08-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Noodlez,

First, welcome to the forum. Now I got the same story from COX about the two DVR's. I signed up during the first week that they were available in Tulsa and they still won't issue me another DCT-6412 so good luck with that.

Now you need to tell us which built in tuner your display has. An ATSC tuner will allow you to receive OTA digital and HD programming. You need an internal QAM tuner to decode the in the clear HD programming from your cable connection. What is the make and model number of the 2nd display?

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #118 of 893 Old 02-08-2006, 08:57 AM

Thanks, The 2nd one is a Samsung TX-R3079WH, Has a ATSC tuner, So I guess that only leaves the option of a antenna?

Update I was able to get cox to give me just a HD box minus the DVR, And they said again that in a few months 2 DVR's per house would happen so here is hopeing.
post #119 of 893 Old 02-08-2006, 06:27 PM

Quick Question about Cox HD. I have the 6412 and I get choppyness on the HD channels. It is worse on channel 716, but I see it at times on the others. I've called Cox and they had be unplug the 6412 (as usual) and that obviously didn't do anything.

The cable comes in the house and is split once. 1 Line goes to the 6412 directly and the other goes to a 8 port Electroline Splitter/Amp. I will be trying it with only one line directly to the 6412.

Is there anything I can check for the signal strength under the diag menu (cable-power-select-select)?
post #120 of 893 Old 02-09-2006, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey there toy4x4 we may have met, I work at a Toyota dealership. To answer your question there is a way to check signal strength on a per channel basis in the 6412's internal menu. First tune to the channel you want to measure then go into the menu as you described. I forget which of the selections to check but it will be pretty obvious once you are in there. The info provided is signal strength and AGC levels in Db as well as good, fair and poor. This should give you some ideas as to if the signal coming into your home is too low or not. There is a great deal of additional information on the 6412 with Passport software in the HD Recorders forum.

If your problem was on Monday night while recording Las Vegas I had the same trouble that evening as well, it was horrible.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page