LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1547 Old 08-17-2006, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Say-Hey! Good job, WEAU!

Some time today they yanked the radar from 13.2.

Then they added 13.3, so we all had the choice of the same program in 3, count 'em, three, different resolutions.

Until just after the 6:00p newscast, that is. Then they tried to put some other program on the two extra channels. OOPS! All we could see was many-pixeled digital blocks. They hadn't fixed it as of an hour ago.

What can you expect; they can't even spell "article" (see the HDTV page on their website).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1547 Old 08-18-2006, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Wilco View Post

Say-Hey! Good job, WEAU!

I wouldn't be so hard on them, Roger. I'm sure you've never made a mistake when you put something together the first time. Digital broadcasting is complicated; rocket science might be easier because at least with that, there's years of data to work from.

That said, I wish no station would multicast unless they only do SD. I recorded History Detectives from KTCA-DT this week and the picture quality difference over WHLA-DT was astounding. Even at its sharpest, WHLA-HD doesn't look as good as KTCA-HD. (KTCA-DT does not multicast. The Twin Cities has the lucky accident of having two PBS channels run by the same people. They put all the "extras" on KTCI-DT, which multicasts 5 SD streams.)
post #273 of 1547 Old 08-20-2006, 01:45 PM

Me? Make a misteak? Never hoppened.

But let me update you about the station in question.

Sometime later, they restored the radar to .2. (with the primary program still on .3). Somehow, they managed to add the audio from .1 (or .3 - whatever) to the radar channel.

Then last night, even though a run-through for program info (PSIP) showed three active channels, and the data for same, .3 was NOT coming up.

With one all-mode receiver, I got "no signal" for .3 (the signal meter said otherwise). With a DTV-only STB, it was even worse. 13.3 caused the box to lock if I tuned to it. Couldn't go to any channel up or down. And they left it like that all day (was still doing it this morning). (At least the audio was off .2.)

That kind of incompetence should lead to the canning of the CE, and a warning or fine for the station from the FCC.
post #274 of 1547 Old 08-20-2006, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With one all-mode receiver, I got "no signal" for .3 (the signal meter said otherwise). With a DTV-only STB, it was even worse. 13.3 caused the box to lock if I tuned to it. Couldn't go to any channel up or down. And they left it like that all day (was still doing it this morning). (At least the audio was off .2.)

That kind of incompetence should lead to the canning of the CE, and a warning or fine for the station from the FCC.

Sounds like they're testing datacasting (the transmission of private data on the ATSC 8VSB stream.) It also sounds like your receiver has a bug in it - nothing the station is doing should be able to lock up your box. That's not the station's fault or problem, and you can't expect them to fix something if you don't call and tell them it's causing problems.

But it sounds to me like a classic case of, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that." "No, no, let me sue somebody for my pain."
post #275 of 1547 Old 08-20-2006, 02:38 PM

To re-iterate, THEY put programming info on 13.3 (saying it was the same as 13.1). Two different makes - receivers - don't like what they're doing.

WPT will start datacasting when school returns in september. We'll see if anything happens to their signal.
post #276 of 1547 Old 08-22-2006, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Unless they are now back-peddling, he did give that time-frame. Go back in this thread for some comments he made earlier this year. There also were some discussions in the Madison thread here.

I'll have to see if I still have a message in my email.

I was told back in August '04 by Fox 25 that they would have HD (true HD, not just digital) by the superbowl (which was on Fox in Feb of '05). That hasn't been even close to happening.. so I won't believe anything until I actually see it.

Also if you look at his post on the topic from back in March, he says nothing about a timeframe, simply that he will keep people posted. He mainly talked about why it wasn't HD yet, and how they needed money to make that happen.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...47#post7390747
post #277 of 1547 Old 08-23-2006, 01:11 PM

It could be worse. When HDTV was first implemented, FOX said they would not broadcast in HD at all. (They planned to put multiple SD programs on.)

(I didn't even realize that they'd changed their tune until early this year. But since 25 is the only FOX affil I see, and it's one of the few stations not doing even 720p, I was in the dark. I wasn't following current developments the way I used to )

Since they must have seen all the other stations multicasting, they should be sweating buckets. I think they are pedaling their kiddiecars as fast as they can.
post #278 of 1547 Old 08-23-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It could be worse. When HDTV was first implemented, FOX said they would not broadcast in HD at all. (They planned to put multiple SD programs on.)

Yes, Fox changed their tune a few years ago, as they realized that customers not only preferred but demanded better picture quality. They inadvertently came upon better technology by waiting so long - all the other networks distribute programming at around 45Mbps to leave enough "head room" for the station to decompress the signal, add in local graphics and commercials, and then recompress it to 19Mbps for broadcast. Fox bought into a brand-new technology that allows the network to create the stream *at the headend* and then distribute a broadcast-read 19Mbps stream via satellite, with the ability for the local station to insert their "bug" without decompressing and recompressing it. Very slick, actually, and saves Fox a ton of money on bandwidth - not enough to justify the others changing everything at this late date, but still...

Multicasting is a mixed bag. On the one hand, stations pay for programming based on potential audience size. This doesn't change when they fragment the market. They sell airtime based on demographics and viewers, and the more times you split things, the harder it becomes to sell the airtime. This is especially bad for PBS - they're paying more for the extra channels, and they don't have much hope of getting more viewers as a result. OTOH, in markets that have lacked a dedicated UPN/WB station, it allows the formerly cable-only stations to be made available to a larger audience. The station doesn't have to pay more for the content, and the viewers get more choices.

My personal reaction to multicasting is somewhat mixed. I've seen one SD channel piggybacked on HD with good results, and bad results, depending on how it's done. I've only seen one station try to do two SD channels + the HD one, and that looks horrible, as I think we've all seen. I think in the long run, multicasting more than one SD on an HD channel will become rare as viewers are forced to transition to digital. People will choose to watch cable over the pixelated mess of WPT-HD.
post #279 of 1547 Old 08-24-2006, 05:08 PM

But after looking at the weather map and seeing the storms in the north, I know that Ch. 13 will be interrupting programming every 5 minutes to let us know in detail that the storm has moved another 2 blocks. Apparently they invested in some very expensive weather equipment and feel obligated to use it to justify its purchase. Hands down, they are the absolute worst about doing this and the trouble is how often they cry "wolf" and then people stop paying attention or simply change the channel. My consolation is that I will buy the 2nd season of The Office next month. I am so tired of Ch. 13 and only wish I could get the Rochester NBC station.
post #280 of 1547 Old 08-24-2006, 05:33 PM

I can't even get a picture on 13. Using my Voom receiver, because I can see the signal info better than on my LG 4200, the Off-Air Signal Quality for Ch. 13 is 85, but the Off-Air Signal Power/SNR for Ch. 13 is 0/16.22. I frequently have the signal quality for 13 drop from around 85 to the 30s. I am on the northside of La Crosse and using a ChannelMaster 4228 exclusively for Ch. 13, but it has gotten worse. I am thinking I need a pre-amp.

I was right so far about the weather warnings. It is 7:33 and they have been giving leisurely weather warnings. If they go more than 10 minutes before the next one I will be very surprised.

At 7:35 I do have a picture, but not good and it is not HD. The SNR is still 0/17.40.
In contrast, Ch 8 has a signal quality of 99 and and off air signal power/SNR of 80/32.30.
post #281 of 1547 Old 08-25-2006, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elocs View Post

My consolation is that I will buy the 2nd season of The Office next month. I am so tired of Ch. 13 and only wish I could get the Rochester NBC station.

I was watching KTTC because we were under a tornado warning, and I can assure you that KTTC didn't show any national programming from 7:00-7:45 or so. They then aired "The Office" starting at the beginning. At that point, since I can't stand their camerawork, I turned it off.

Interestingly, KTTC-DT and KXLT-DT showed national programming without breaking in for weather reports, giving viewers a choice.
post #282 of 1547 Old 08-25-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregener View Post

I was watching KTTC because we were under a tornado warning, and I can assure you that KTTC didn't show any national programming from 7:00-7:45 or so. They then aired "The Office" starting at the beginning. At that point, since I can't stand their camerawork, I turned it off.

Interestingly, KTTC-DT and KXLT-DT showed national programming without breaking in for weather reports, giving viewers a choice.

I am sure that I remember it being that way because I checked it out after seeing a notice on WXOW Ch. 19, but it was not on their HD feed. Now, even when it is just a notice at the top of the screen, Ch. 19 will only show their SD even on the HD channel. So now there is no choice.

These stations have the assumption that their viewers are stupid and are completely unaware of what is going on outside. A notice on the screen would be sufficient unless there is an actual tornado. People know enough to check other sources such as their computers or The Weather Channel and can find out what is going on continually. In my opinion they do cry "wolf" so often that people do not tend to take warnings seriously when sometimes they should.

About the camera work on The Office, the show is actually supposed to be done as the office is being filmed for a documentary. So that is the reason for that type of camera work and why the characters can actually look at and talk to the camera. The original British version was the same. I am guessing that you would also have hated "Homicide: Life on the Streets" because of the camera work on that series. I have a degree in Mass Communications and have done tv camera work and so I have an appreciation for different camera techniques, but I can see how they may be annoying or distracting because they are different from what is usually seen.
post #283 of 1547 Old 08-25-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) These stations have the assumption that their viewers are stupid and are completely unaware of what is going on outside. A notice on the screen would be sufficient unless there is an actual tornado. People know enough to check other sources such as their computers or The Weather Channel and can find out what is going on continually. In my opinion they do cry "wolf" so often that people do not tend to take warnings seriously when sometimes they should.

2) About the camera work on The Office, the show is actually supposed to be done as the office is being filmed for a documentary. So that is the reason for that type of camera work and why the characters can actually look at and talk to the camera.

1) Actually, these stations have the assumption that the federal laws requiring broadcast stations air weather alerts might have something to do with it. And many people don't have cable or the Internet to check for information, so they're kind of dependent on broadcasters to keep them informed. As for the SD thing, most stations do not have the equipment to insert local graphics into the HD stream - it takes expensive mastering equipment to do more than a bug in the corner.

2) There are two types of transition/shots that bother me with "The Office." The first is the shaky camera. That's just annoying. Even cheap camcorders today have "steady-shot" capabilities that at least greatly reduce the shaky image on home videos - you'd think a documentary for an office would be able to afford something newer than a 1990 VHS camcorder. The second shot that is even more annoying to me is the extreme zooming - zoom in so one character can deliver a line, then zoom out, zoom in on another character. It all happens so fast it just makes me motion sick. "The Office" isn't the only program to use these video effects, and it isn't the first. It's just another in a long line of programs I don't watch because of it. It's like they forgot that special video effects are supposed to be icing, not the cake.
post #284 of 1547 Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:

1) Actually, these stations have the assumption that the federal laws requiring broadcast stations air weather alerts might have something to do with it. And many people don't have cable or the Internet to check for information, so they're kind of dependent on broadcasters to keep them informed. As for the SD thing, most stations do not have the equipment to insert local graphics into the HD stream - it takes expensive mastering equipment to do more than a bug in the corner.

2) There are two types of transition/shots that bother me with "The Office." The first is the shaky camera. That's just annoying. Even cheap camcorders today have "steady-shot" capabilities that at least greatly reduce the shaky image on home videos - you'd think a documentary for an office would be able to afford something newer than a 1990 VHS camcorder. The second shot that is even more annoying to me is the extreme zooming - zoom in so one character can deliver a line, then zoom out, zoom in on another character. It all happens so fast it just makes me motion sick. "The Office" isn't the only program to use these video effects, and it isn't the first. It's just another in a long line of programs I don't watch because of it. It's like they forgot that special video effects are supposed to be icing, not the cake.

1) Stations do have a choice in how they handle weather alerts. For instance, Wisconsin Public tv will give the NWS alert and will have a discreet weather logo in the corner. They do not have weather people cutting into programming, dancing around and showing their computer graphics and repeating the same warnings over only to come back on in a couple of minutes to say the storm has moved 2 blocks and to repeat the warnings. So there are stations that can and do give weather warnings without a "the sky is falling" approach and the need to show off their fancy equipment.

2) If the camera work was an issue for a significant percentage of the viewers of The Office, it would change. The point, I think, is to keep the viewers aware that it is a documentary and seamless handheld camera work would not allow that. If you like the story of shows that use different types of camera work you will watch them. If you don't, you won't. I have a 15 year old daughter who believes that any movie in black and white is inferior to any color one. That's her right and opinion even if I think differently.
post #285 of 1547 Old 08-25-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) Stations do have a choice in how they handle weather alerts.

2) If the camera work was an issue for a significant percentage of the viewers of The Office, it would change.

1) Agreed, to a point. Most stations do not have the equipment to show weather alerts - even a screen crawl - and maintain HD programming content at the same time. But they don't have to interrupt program as often as they do. They do it because that's how they think they win viewers to their local news - a major money-maker for most stations today.

2) Yeah, I know. I'm getting old. I'm no longer the desired demographic. And I know people much older than me who don't mind all those things.
post #286 of 1547 Old 08-25-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:

1) Agreed, to a point. Most stations do not have the equipment to show weather alerts - even a screen crawl - and maintain HD programming content at the same time. But they don't have to interrupt program as often as they do. They do it because that's how they think they win viewers to their local news - a major money-maker for most stations today.

2) Yeah, I know. I'm getting old. I'm no longer the desired demographic. And I know people much older than me who don't mind all those things.

Earlier this year I was called on the phone by somebody doing a survey which was about which local tv stations I watched, which news, which on-air people I knew, etc., but it was really directed towards local news. I bet this survey lasted 15 minutes and I had to constantly repeat that concerning local news that I had no preference because they all seemed alike. But based upon the questions given, such as which prime time NBC programs I watched, I assumed this was most likely for WEAU. I did let them know how irritating and intrusive I find WEAU's approach to weather warnings is.

I find local news to be very vanilla with each station using the same format and reporting on the same stories the same way. They are interchangeable and unimaginative. I assume when our local Fox stations start their news on Monday that it will be the same rehashed format and tripe that we have been fed for years. Weather should be simple: tell me what the temperature is and if it is going to rain, how cold/warm it will be tonight and how cold/hot it will be tomorrow and if it will rain then. The rest is just fill and more than I really want to know and could get it much better on The Weather Channel. How about instead of reporting the "news" stories along with publicity releases disguised as "news" in exactly the same way as other stations with your talking heads and semi-clever banter, doing something different?
How about sending a camera crew and reporter around town and talk with regular people in the neighborhoods and talk with them about what they are doing and what they think and about things that are not "news" to the other channels that are showing rehashed national and state news and regurgitated local news?

Also, I am 54, so I am not in the targeted demographics anymore either. Oh well.
post #287 of 1547 Old 08-29-2006, 05:13 PM

Did you SEE?

The Channel 25-48 News, that is.

Right from the start, you knew it would be extraordinary! (humph)

The set! The SET! I thought they were beaming from the Oort-Cloud planet Pluton, not Oh-Claire.

Then they introduced themselves. (Uh, I know all you guys already.) (There's only a four-person staff: anchor, reporter, sports, and weatherguy. Who is called "Chief Meteorologist".)

Oh, and the weather graphics. I think they are running freeware on Windblows95.

Ah, but I've save the best for, well - maybe not, last.

It just so happened my second set was on WEAU's .2 (currently the "Local Radar", though even with that title it was a copy of the main program on .1 for most of last week - but I digest, er, digress).

Well, it WAS the radar, right up until showtime on FOX. Then, it magically became FOX!!! Yessir, the WLAX/WEUX news was also being broadcast on 13.2. Except for commercials, when they ran WEAU station promos or PSAs.

Gol, I was a Witness to History!

I feel sick.
post #288 of 1547 Old 08-29-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Did you SEE?

The Channel 25-48 News, that is.

Right from the start, you knew it would be extraordinary! (humph)

The set! The SET! I thought they were beaming from the Oort-Cloud planet Pluton, not Oh-Claire.

Then they introduced themselves. (Uh, I know all you guys already.) (There's only a four-person staff: anchor, reporter, sports, and weatherguy. Who is called "Chief Meteorologist".)

Oh, and the weather graphics. I think they are running freeware on Windblows95.

Ah, but I've save the best for, well - maybe not, last.

It just so happened my second set was on WEAU's .2 (currently the "Local Radar", though even with that title it was a copy of the main program on .1 for most of last week - I but I digest, er, digress).

Well, it WAS the radar, right up until showtime on FOX. Then, it magically became FOX!!! Yessir, the WLAX/WEUX news was also being broadcast on 13.2. Except for commercials, when they ran WEAU station promos or PSAs.

Gol, I was a Witness to History!

I feel sick.

I certainly feel sick. Just what we needed--another retarded and boring local news cast that excpet for the content is exactly in format like hundreds of others all across the country. I much preferred Seinfel at 9 p.m. because that at least gave me a choice and it certainly would be more entertaining and informative than this load of rehashed drek will be. I have trouble enough getting WEAU at all much less 13.2 for some second rate, johnny come lately, local news wannabes. Is their target demographic those who go beddy-bye at 9:30?
post #289 of 1547 Old 09-01-2006, 02:12 PM

The very next day, there was 30 minutes of bad audio. Then 13 pulled the radar, and ran 13.1 duped to 13.2. Then, oh, what the heck - It has been a non-comedy of errors all week.

With 13's signal so bad I could only get them about 10% of the time the whole time. It just bounced all over the place. One minute 2/3rds of meter max; the next absolute zero. I see "translator" in the future.
post #290 of 1547 Old 09-01-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:

The very next day, there was 30 minutes of bad audio. Then 13 pulled the radar, and ran 13.1 duped to 13.2. Then, oh, what the heck - It has been a non-comedy of errors all week.

With 13's signal so bad I could only get them about 10% of the time the whole time. It just bounced all over the place. One minute 2/3rds of meter max; the next absolute zero. I see "translator" in the future.

This is exactly what I have experienced. I'm sorry it's happening, but I'm glad it's not just me.
post #291 of 1547 Old 09-05-2006, 03:07 PM

Well, "IT" is here. My Network TV, that is.

Two Different Programs TOTAL - ALL WEEK. One Hour Nightly (each). Six Nights a Week. . .

SOAP OPERAS

post #292 of 1547 Old 09-05-2006, 03:10 PM

Their PSIP clock is currently 36 minutes fast. And that is screwing up my box ROYAL. (Try setting a timer. . .)
post #293 of 1547 Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM

Apparently Wisconsin Public Television is a joke. Tonight on 31.1 I am getting the audio from the scheduled show about the Chicago World Fair of 1893, but the picture being shown is from an oft repeated program about the national pards of Utah. When I tried 2 different numbers to call WPT I get a message to call during normal business hours. Meanwhile, on the screwup continues. This is hardly professional.
post #294 of 1547 Old 09-12-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Their PSIP clock is currently 36 minutes fast. And that is screwing up my box ROYAL. (Try setting a timer. . .)

A day or so later they reset the clock. Since then it has continued to gain time - about 3 minutes daily. Channel 8 is about 3 minutes fast, Channels 19 and 31, ca. 2 minutes each. None are racing ahead like 13. Strangely enough, Channel 25 is the most accurate.

(Note: even though the PSIP clocks are out of wack, the stations' other clocks - those that may appear during news, e.g. - are usually accurate.)
post #295 of 1547 Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 PM

(Is that what the CW is?)

UPN appears to have officially died. I don't see any WI stations still carrying it (per Milw J/S TV guide - not the most complete or accurate source). Several other stations are carrying MY-TV.

However, last week between 2-4:00 am, 8.2 ran some UPN programs - complete with promos for the "new CW" - which they won't have.

19.2 WILL have that, and they are currently filling up the entire schedule with a demo loop that runs about 10 minutes - over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over -
somebody please stop me!
post #296 of 1547 Old 09-13-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Is WEAU's digital signal still having problems? In my old house i could pull Eau Claire almost as good as Wausau. I tried an attic install in my new house and can pull Wausau's ABC in the 90's but CBS is sitting in the 40's even though they broadcast from the same tower and both used to be in the high 80's. I get channel 13 analog just fine but get no signal for 13.1. Are they still throwing a weak signal?
post #297 of 1547 Old 09-13-2006, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I just pulled in WEAU-DT last night...I got about 68% signal strength.
post #298 of 1547 Old 09-13-2006, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Buck,
What time did you try? I was messing around about 6pm with no luck again.
post #299 of 1547 Old 09-20-2006, 04:28 PM

Just to give this thread a bump, I was surprised with some of the stations I am able to pull in on Charter with my new HDTV's (Sony 34XBR970) QAM Tuner here in Wausau:

- WBAY 2, Green Bay's ABC affiliate.
- WSAW DT2, the local "My Network TV affiliate" (which shares time with the Funimation Network outside of prime time)
- a digital version of WFXS (Fox 55 in Wausau)
- PBS, ABC, and CBS in HD (okay...I expected those, which is why I bought the QAM-capable set)
- TNT HD....or at least the 1080i picture (no audio)
- The Biography channel (in SD)

and duplicates of a few others.

Unfortunately, no WJFW in High Def. This is particularly disappointing, since - according to the Vice President / GM at the network informed me that WJFW is providing their High Def signal to Charter Communications, and have been doing so for a number of weeks now.
Anyone know more about what's happening with this? (Is Charter only airing WJFW HD in Rhinelander, or is there some other reason that it's being offered here in Wausau?)
post #300 of 1547 Old 09-20-2006, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you try to get WEAU-DT out of Eau Claire? I easily receive their signal (80%) with a large outdoor antenna.

I didn't know wjfw was close to HD (although since I get weau, I haven't been paying attention). Maybe they are just giving their national feed to charter, and don't have the equipment to broadcast it over the air waves? Is this possible?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page