Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1557 Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregener View Post

...So what is happening to your signal? For some reason, your tuner is losing its lock on the WHLA-DT signal. This could be caused by local (within a few hundred feet) interference or multipath confusing the tuner as to which signal is the real one. Finding the source of this and resolving it is probably well beyond the ability of the average home hobbyist, though an amateur radio club might take on the task as a fun experiment. It is also possible that your receiver itself is failing. Weak or loose connections may be deteriorating over time, causing you to have a poor connection. Make sure corrosion isn't eating away at your coaxial connections.

One of the problems I've had to deal with, with OTA viewers, is antenna terminals and connectors that are corroded or oxidized. High frequencies are the first to experience degradation in quality LONG BEFORE the lower frequencies will exhibit similiar, if milder, symptoms...many times, the problems will stay in one particular area of the band and never show up in the lower band (UHF -vs- VHF).

On ALL CONNECTIONS, including balun transformers spade-lug teriminals and related components, clean the connections down to the bare metal, wipe off all dirt and oils (particularly from your hands...) with denatured alcohol. DO NOT USE ISOPROPYL or RUBBING ALCOHOL - This type of alcohol contains an oil in its mixture and will cause failure of the sealant to properly seal your connection against moisture migration.

The next point is to use a good sealant - one that doesn't contain any colors or is paintable - I use GE Silicone Sealant - Clear - Outdoor only. It won't heat up and cool down with the sun during and after the daylight has been beating on it AND if you put it on properly, you'll be able to see through the stuff to keep an eye on your connections for any sign of returning corrosion. The stuff isn't too expensive so don't be too frugal with it. Goop it on good and thick. The last thing you want to be doing is climbing around on your roof in the winter, cleaning corrosion off some little stupip "#@%$#!" connector when it's -10° outside. Believe me, that sucks...

Quote:

...Your 4228 probably has way too much gain to use on stations just a couple of miles away - it will almost certainly overload. This will leave you with nothing worth watching that way. But it wouldn't hurt to try it, either, if getting to it isn't a big deal.

If you believe that there's too much signal (same symptoms as not enough...), get yourself an in-line variable-attenuator from RatShack...it's not too expensive and it's a fairly easy gizmo for the average DIYer to use around the house and you can even use it to impress your neighbors and maybe, even quiet down a noisy MIL...

If it turns out you do have too much signal overloading your reciever, the variable-attenuator may be calibrated enough to get you in the ballpark to come up with a dB. value that you can use to buy an in-line "fixed value" "F" style attenuator that you can screw right in-line, in place of the variable unit itself. Then it's off to save another TV set from improper signal-matching!

Quote:

...Beyond that, you're probably looking at hiring a professional or experimenting with different antennas (the Antennas Direct DB2 would be an interesting choice.)

I'd try the first two items before option #3 - unless you know you don't want to risk taking a header off your roof...not too much fun watching the Packers, Vikings and/or Bears while you're in traction and peeing in a bag.

One final note: I've found that pointing your antenna is critical in these matters. Not only are you dealing with getting the azimuth on and correct, BUT...

Elevation has a lot to do with reception quality, particularly if you happen to live with a 4-or-5-mile radius of the transmitting towers of your choice.

Broadcast signals "spray" (if you will) from the antenna in a circular "beam" - sorta' like those flower lawn sprinklers the kids dance under...you can imagine the signal to be like an "umbrella" - and the meat of the signal is that "umbrella" itself.

Well, if your receive antenna is pointed (azimuth-wise) towards the station, but the end is horizontal to the ground, you're not "scooping," or catching, the signal as best as you can. I've found that it's possible to gain as much as 10dB. of signal if the tip of the antenna is "tilted up" towards the top of the tower (assuming you have a "line-of-sight" view of the tower itself!) of the station you want to view.

All of this will take a little bit of time to do ... so slather on the sun-screen and have at it.

Your family will thank you for it...then again, maybe they won't care.

Just do it BEFORE it starts to turn cold...

Respectfully,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1557 Old 05-30-2007, 07:45 PM

NOPE! DON'T GET TOO EXCITED...

This is about the signal the past week...

It seems that the "box" blew a PA Module last week...dropped out of it's AGC range and shut itself off (I believe this occured on the 21st)...

Anyways, once we figured out what part of the "box" crapped, an attempt was made to run the other amps a little harder (with the proper adjustments being made to the AGC circuitry) to keep a viewable signal out there...

Didn't work too well for too long...

So, until I get the replacement PA Module in (hopefully this week...), we're running at approx. 80% of 2.49 kW ERP..

So...pardon our dust...

Later!

Respectfully,

Mark
post #453 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 07:39 AM

They claim they are transmitting HDTV. Can anyone confirm? I live in Wausau. Am I going to be able to get it over an antenna less than a mile in the air? Any word on Charter's plans to include in the signal via QAM?

While we're on the subject, any word on Fox?

There is nothing more annoying than watching a Fox or NBC show and have it brag about digital HDTV and you have to watch letterboxed NTSC.

Thanks for any input,
Mike

Mike Eichacker
www.MoviMagic.com
meichacker@hotmail.com
post #454 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

According to the FCC, WJFW-DT-16 is at full power (269kw) with a projected coverage area that reaches Wausau. If you have a decent outdoor antenna aimed the right way, you should have no trouble.
post #455 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

I keep bugging WFXS and I would not hold my breath on them going digital. I don't think they have a digital number assigned yet and when that is done they need to get all of the hardware going. I think late 2008 might be a more realistic time frame, but i hope to wrong.

I thought the latest was WJFW was doing digital but on very low power so if you don't live within a few miles of the tower good luck. How about pulling in Eau Clare, I can do it from Rapids or does Rib Mt cause problems?

Dave
post #456 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

According to the FCC, WJFW-DT-16 is at full power (269kw) with a projected coverage area that reaches Wausau. If you have a decent outdoor antenna aimed the right way, you should have no trouble.

I guess I'm only half right?
post #457 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is the answer right from WJFW
http://www.wjfw.com/pages/HDTVfaq.html
post #458 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 AM

I have read that and exchanged emails with the guy that wrote it. I was hoping for some personal experience before I start erecting towers.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Eichacker
www.MoviMagic.com
meichacker@hotmail.com
post #459 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't tried WJFW in a month or so...I'll give it a shot tonight and report back.
post #460 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I live in New London and have been getting channel 12.1 and 12.2 for quite a while (DTV channel 16). WFXS has been granted DTV channel 50. Looke here and scroll down to Wisconsin:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-06-150A1.pdf

edit: Yes, channel 12 out of Rhinelander has been in HD for a while. Their second digital channel, 12.2, broadcasts in stretched Standard Definition DTV.

second edit:SCROLL WAAAAY DOWN!! The first tables only gives cities and channel numbers, but way down towards the bottom gives tables that show all the information about the final channel elections.
post #461 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Where is WJFW's tower located? I just tried and am still unable to get it. Neither antennaweb or titantv show it as available either.
post #462 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Find your latitude and longitude for your house (can be found at antennaweb.org after finding your EXACT address. Then, go to:

http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp

Type in your L&L and point your antenna in the direction listed for the channel you wish to get. This site takes magnetic inclination into account, if you enter it. (you can find this online also...it will change based on your L&L. Find a site that will figure it for you, then input that into the "magnetic inclination" box. This is needed for accurate compass readings!!!) It is extremely accurate.
post #463 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

post #464 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova View Post

Where is WJFW's tower located? I just tried and am still unable to get it. Neither antennaweb or titantv show it as available either.

See attached map for WJFW-DT's location and coverage.

Best regards,
Andy
LL
post #465 of 1557 Old 05-31-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Andy.

I have an email over to Fox 55 and will keep you posted on what news Robert has for me.

Dave
post #466 of 1557 Old 06-01-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

After a few email messages with Fox 55 I can sum up the situation. There are a lot of what if's with the FCC and the channel assignment right now. The digital channel 50 is not set in stone and can change. To make it even more simple if you see a construction permit issued to them things are moving until then it could happen next week or years from now.
post #467 of 1557 Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Nothing is ever set in stone. However, if WFXS wishes to change the channel designation, they will have to wait until the entire process has ended, then apply for the change. It continually says that these tables are the tentative final channel allotments, but it does also describe exactly when and how these allotments can be changed. Workning with the CFR on a daily basis, I can tell you that once the government writes their guidelines and rules in the CFR, there is very little "wiggle room". I will be amazed if WFXS goes digital on a channel other than channel 50.

On the other hand, I love the channel designation. Living in New London, my local channels are the Green Bay / Appleton market channels. They will consist of VHF channel 11 and UHF channels ranging from 21 to 42. The Wausau market channels will be on VHF 7 and 9 along with UHF channels 16, 24 and 50. Since 24 is the same PBS station EXACTLY as channnel 42 in Green Bay, I will be able to use multiple antennas and easily get all of the Green Bay stations plus the Wausau / Wittenberg ? Rhinelander stations except PBS 24 (which I will block) without any major interference.
post #468 of 1557 Old 06-02-2007, 01:02 PM

Hello all!

I just (finally) jumped on the hd bandwagon here folks. I've read all the posts under this thread and I'm just looking for an update from anyone in the Eau Claire area using DirecTv HD on a couple of things....

1. Do I understand correctly, still the only HD channels that we can receive are WEAU (NBC), WQOW (ABC), WKBT (CBS) and WHWC (PBS I think)? And these are only available using an OTA antenna right?

2. I'm just curious what you all are using for an OTA antenna? Any better than others or what? And this is the antenna I'm plugging into the back of the satellite receiver correct?

I just got off the phone with DTV and they filed my waivers for all the local hd networks, but I'm assuming the only one that will be approved will be Fox, since I believe that's the only one not available OTA in hd. We'll see.....

Thanks for any info folks, and any other advice you may have for a noob hd lover!!
post #469 of 1557 Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgee View Post

Hello all!

I just (finally) jumped on the hd bandwagon here folks. I've read all the posts under this thread and I'm just looking for an update from anyone in the Eau Claire area using DirecTv HD on a couple of things....

1. Check this site at DBS Talk http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=65321 to see what locals are available in HD. It's updated regularly; OTA is your only option if you are close enough to the towers to get their signal.

2. There's an additional monthly fee of $1.50 per national feed if eligible besides the $9.99 HD access fee. You can determine what waivers you qualify for at http://directvdnseligibility.decisio...dressform.aspx
post #470 of 1557 Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:

1. Do I understand correctly, still the only HD channels that we can receive are WEAU (NBC), WQOW (ABC), WKBT (CBS) and WHWC (PBS I think)? And these are only available using an OTA antenna right?

If you're closer to the twin cities, you may have other choices, othrwise that's pretty nmuch it. Note that WPT (PBS) is not carrying the full PBS HD feed anymore, so what you get will not be what it used to be.

Quote:

2. I'm just curious what you all are using for an OTA antenna? Any better than others or what? And this is the antenna I'm plugging into the back of the satellite receiver correct??

NO "OTA" means, "Over the Air". anything you may have seen in the past perched on a rooftop, or the UHF "Loop" on the back of a portable MAY get you a usable signal for your locals, however, you might want to try an amplified antenna. I note that TARGET had some in stock recently,, otherwise look at Radio Shack, or any local TV dealer.
post #471 of 1557 Old 06-05-2007, 06:18 PM

I'm not going to get into a knock-down, drag-out fight over WPT's programming.

Suffice tio say, I've deleted the whole mess from all my scan lists.

(They stopped subscribing to the full PBS feed last year, and got so many complaints they had to restore it. Now they are substituting the cheapest syndicated HD Stuff they can find,and running it 2-3 times a day, just to fill up time.)
post #472 of 1557 Old 06-10-2007, 07:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Wilco View Post

They stopped subscribing to the full PBS feed last year, and got so many complaints they had to restore it.

Wait. What? They are still only airing HD from 7p-6a.
post #473 of 1557 Old 06-11-2007, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBong View Post

and Fox 55 wont be on HD for awhile.
(ps. Robert's a cool guy)

Cheers

I agree Robert has been more than helpful over the last 3 years or so I have been bugging him about Fox 55 and HD.
post #474 of 1557 Old 06-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Does anyone know if WJFW plans on putting an HDTV repeater up on Mosinee Hill, much like ch. 27 in the Wausau area now?
post #475 of 1557 Old 06-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy1013 View Post

Does anyone know if WJFW plans on putting an HDTV repeater up on Mosinee Hill, much like ch. 27 in the Wausau area now?

My guess would be that ch. 27 will become a digital repeater in 2009. I couldn't tell you for sure, since I'm in Eau Claire and mostly keep track of WEUX (pretty much a hopeless cause.)
post #476 of 1557 Old 07-26-2007, 02:44 PM

We just got a letter from Charter stating that they are expanding there HD lineup and are adding A&E HD, ESPN2HD, MOJO HD, and they also stated they are adding WFXS-HD and WJFW-HD. This is for the Wausau area and will begin August 28th.

I find it interesting that WFXS is being offered in HD when they have made no statement they will be broadcasting in HD anytime soon. Will Charter be using the digital signal from the FOX station in Green Bay or have things suddenly proceeded quickly for WFXS and they will be in HD in a month? Either way I'm pretty excited to be able to watch the Packers in HD and be able to catch my favorite NBC and FOX shows in HD.
post #477 of 1557 Old 07-27-2007, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Please give Robert at Fox 55 a call and see if this is true. I assume it is since charter mailed letters out, but it doesn't hurt to double check.
post #478 of 1557 Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 AM

I got this letter as well. Great news if it is true. I have been using QAM devices to get high def through Charter and it works well without the need for an antenna.

Mike Eichacker
www.MoviMagic.com
meichacker@hotmail.com
post #479 of 1557 Old 07-28-2007, 01:28 AM

Are WEAU-DT, WQOW-DT, and WEUX-DT at full power yet?

Here in Duluth, I regularly see the two stations when tropo enhancement is up, but I have only received WEUX-DT once and WQOW-DT / WEAU-DT perhaps twice. I've seen WHWC-DT numerous times.

I receive the MSP DT stations far more often, most of which AFAIK are at full power.
post #480 of 1557 Old 07-28-2007, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0ltv View Post

Are WEAU-DT, WQOW-DT, and WEUX-DT at full power yet?

Others probably know more about this than I do, but the answer is probably:

WEAU-DT: Yes
WQOW-DT: Almost (probably a side-mounted antenna that will be moved up come 2009.)
WEUX-DT: No Way! Almost hamster-wheel generated power levels. Truly an impressive catch of this sub-10kw station.

It's worth noting that full power is not always 1000kw, as most of the Twin Cities stations are. In smaller markets, stations are going with significantly lower power levels to save money. The difference in predicted coverage with a 250kw station is really only a few miles less than with 1000kw. But as you've no doubt found out, with long-distance reception, the extra power really makes a difference.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page