LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1558 Old 11-07-2007, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dunn County is a bit of a stretch, though. Menomonie is a very short distance from Eau Claire, and it is even the home of WHWC. The other counties I understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1558 Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Liked: 10
Great info here, I'm in Weston and was curious about he local HD channels, now I know. Thanks!
post #543 of 1558 Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 PM

Hey Wausau guys, are you getting channel 7&9 on HD through the air?

I bought an HD antenna at Best Buy and hooked it up, but I couldnt get a clear picture on 7 or 9, it was a little snowy looking. Anyone else have this issue?
post #544 of 1558 Old 11-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
First off, there is no such thing as an "HD" antenna...an antenna is an antenna, and the "HD" part is all hype.

Second, there is no snow with digital. There either is a picture or there isn't. My guess is that you tuned to channel 7 or 9 and received (poorly) the analog channels.

To get HD, you need an HDTV and a digital tuner. This could happen with over the air signals in two ways. You could have an "HD Ready" TV (which has no built in digital tuner) and an outboard tuner, or you could have an actual HDTV with a built in digital tuner.

If you have a TV capable of displaying HD and you have either a built in digital tuner or an outboard tuner, you should be able to get channels 7 and 9 as long as you live close enough and the antenna is of decent quality and installation as well as being aimed correctly.

Digital channels 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 can be found on UHF channel 40. Digital channels 9.1 and 9.2 can be found on UHF channel 29.

Use the "channel search" feature of your digital tuner to find all of your stations.

Bill
post #545 of 1558 Old 11-21-2007, 05:39 AM

Thanks Bill, I'll try again.
post #546 of 1558 Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 AM

I am getting sooooooo tired of waiting for Fox 55 Digital/HD. I have spent a fortune on HDTV's, Directv programming and a couple of new Radio Shack antenna's to maximize my OTA HD viewing, and I am loving everything I get, but I still have to watch a piss poor analog signal from Fox 55. It is the only HD that I am missing. I can't DVR anything from it and the PQ on my 37" TV, the only one in the house that has a analog tuner in it, is simply awful. I get Sunday Ticket so all of the NFL games I've wanted to watch have been in HD. So, I get to thinking about watching the Packer/Lions game tomorrow and realize that it isn't Sunday, and it is on Fox. Not only that but I wanted to DVR it since we are going out for Turkey day dinner at 11am.

I've corresponded with the GM at 55 and he keeps coming up with more excuses. They have their digital signal assignment, but they weren't given enough power. Their lawyers and engineers are working on what to do next. If their GD company can't get their act together, I wish they would just sell the outlet to someone who can. This is totally unacceptable in this digital age.

Anyone have any ideas as to how we can get these *********** off their butts and provide us with the HD we want?
post #547 of 1558 Old 11-21-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

MikeR7, I think we all agree 100% with you. I must have been the other PITA for Robert at WFXS with their HD problems. I'm not sure what we can do or if it even pays to write a letter to their corporate head. The thing i hate to think about is Favre retiring and the Pack going to hell and then we finally get HD. My only solution right now is to try and pull in Fox 11 in Green Bay. I get the analog channel at night some time, but even digital channels 2 & 5 are very hit or miss. The next thing i might try is a 60 foot tower, it could be a big waste of money.

Dave
post #548 of 1558 Old 11-21-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebohn View Post

The next thing i might try is a 60 foot tower, it could be a big waste of money.

Generally speaking, a tower ceases to be effective once you get about 10-12' above the local interference, usually the tree line. If you've got a hill to clear, getting above it could help, too.

However, my experience with long-distance daytime reception with a 60' tower (which replaced a 25' install on my roof) is that stations that were marginal are better with the tower, but nothing went from nothing-to-perfect.

What antenna and preamp are you using?
post #549 of 1558 Old 11-23-2007, 08:32 PM

I'm new to this great forum, finally found a local one.
North end Rib Mountain Address. After two antennas, now a third, my system is as follows;
34' tower, a rotor, Antennas Direct 91-XG (lovin' it) antenna, picked up the 91-XG up for only $47.00.

Receiving channels;
7.1, 7.2, 7.3 9.1, 9.2, 12.1 (16), 12.2 (16), 13.1, 13.2, 20.1, 20.2, 20.3, 20.4, 20.5, 27 analog, and 55 analog.

MY ISSUE > I can't lock on WTPX ION Network even though it is supposed to be only 12.5 miles from me.
01) Any ideas or experience with ION?

20) Is ANYONE in my area, Wausau, doing well with Green Bay Stations?
Thanks for any help
John
post #550 of 1558 Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 AM

To my knowledge WTPX is NOT on the air. Although they told the FCC they were on the air many years ago.

The schedule is showing up in TV guides.. but I can't pick up the station. Nobody I know can receive it either.

IF WTPX is on the air at low power, I think the station is at least suppose to serve the city of license (Antigo). I have family and friends there. Nobody I know can receive the signal.

I wonder if this station is breaking the FCC law? Off the air for an extended period of time or possibly never signing on. No listed phone number in the city of license, or in its viewing area. No studio or control point that I know of. No news programming. No educational programming. Although I did see the station was granted a license renewal. I wonder where I can go to view the station's public file?
post #551 of 1558 Old 11-25-2007, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ask and you shall receive!

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/callsign/WTPX

Click on the links and view any paperwork you want.

Bill
post #552 of 1558 Old 11-25-2007, 06:24 AM

Nope that's not what I am looking for. I would like to see the Public File. The public file is something found at the station's business office. It should be available for inspection anytime during regular business hours. I would like to see what they are doing locally for Public Service. Did they air any community calendars? Did they sponsor any non profit community events? How much airtime was given to local organizations? Did they give equal time to political candidates? What did they offer for news on the station? When were the announcements aired during license renewal taking station comments and how to view the public file. All of that stuff is difficult to do if the station isn't on the air.

The address and phone number listed is a location 2,500 miles away. They are required by FCC law to have a business office and studio location somewhere in the viewing area. Where is it? No phone number listed in the Wausau (or more important Antigo) phone book. FCC law requires they have a local phone or toll free phone number listed at least in its city of license (Antigo). Which is kind of hard to do since they have no local business office or control point anywhere in its viewing area that I know of. :\\

I am not that upset about it, just that there are dozens of other broadcast groups that would love to have that channel. Its a shame to not see them do anything with it.
post #553 of 1558 Old 11-25-2007, 07:17 PM

Anyone getting anything from WEUX-DTV? On there site it says their tower is between Colfax and Hwy 29 and from what I know I am about 10 miles away in Menomonie and I can't get anything except once in awhile some sound and I'll get a very fuzzy picture for a few seconds of what is on Fox when I check to see what is on channel 48. I just found this thread while looking for some info on WEUX-DTV so I thought I would check with people. I can get PBS, NBC, and ABC in perfect quality.
post #554 of 1558 Old 11-26-2007, 05:39 AM

I have a question, how do you pick up channels 7.1, 7.2,7.3, 9.1, etc etc etc.

Is there a channel list to tell you which to tune in to?
post #555 of 1558 Old 11-26-2007, 02:37 PM

WEUX-DT does not come in in Eau Claire either, it seems.
post #556 of 1558 Old 11-26-2007, 03:12 PM

GETTING THE LISTINGS

I do a channel scan, then rotate the antenna toward other towers & do another one, then again, and a fourth time. I'm still trying to find a way to get WFRV Green bay by Thursday night. Fat chance I'betting. I'm too close to 7,9,20 towers to install a amp (Tried it).....
John
post #557 of 1558 Old 11-26-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeway36 View Post

WEUX-DT does not come in in Eau Claire either, it seems.

It's too bad we can't pick up WEUX-DT. I would really enjoy watching football on Fox 25/48 when it is on because from my experience the game isn't the same on Sunday between Fox 25/48 and Fox 9 from my Dish Network. I still get a decent signal from the analog channel 48 so that'll do for now but it would be nice in HD. I went to Fox 25/48 website about getting DT and it didn't help.

I'm running 2 antennas by using a cable splitter backwards and it picks up all those other stations perfectly. Menomonie PBS which usually has a 7-9 bar signal. Eau Claire WEAU-DT and WQOW-DT which will get between 3, sometimes 2, and it will usually go up to 5 bars and sometimes 6 bars of strength. One antenna is 10 year old rabbit ears that came with my old 13" television and then I'm using a uhf/vhf transformer with some aluminum foil around it. I'm pretty sure that should be enough to pick up WEUX-DT since the other stations except PBS are farther away from me than WEUX-DT is. Hopefully by 2009 it will be working better.
post #558 of 1558 Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM

I know for sure that neither WLAX nor WEUX has high-definition equipment. You can't even get any FOX HD programming through cable.
post #559 of 1558 Old 11-30-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeway36 View Post

I know for sure that neither WLAX nor WEUX has high-definition equipment. You can't even get any FOX HD programming through cable.

Yeah, you're probably right. I thought there was but it doesn't look like there is any WEUX-DT. Sometimes I get a little sound and I'll get a fuzzy picture but that is it. At least WEUX (48) works pretty well. Hopefully it comes out soon so I can watch some HD shows on Fox.
post #560 of 1558 Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 AM

ARRRGHHHHH. I just looked at the Bowl game schedule. Do you guys realize how many of the top games are on Fox and we have no Fox HD!!!!

Looks like I am going to have to do something drastic to get some.
post #561 of 1558 Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR7 View Post

ARRRGHHHHH. I just looked at the Bowl game schedule. Do you guys realize how many of the top games are on Fox and we have no Fox HD!!!!

Looks like I am going to have to do something drastic to get some.

..........and NFL games, baseball playoff, world series, NASCAR and then all of their shows,
post #562 of 1558 Old 12-04-2007, 03:12 PM

Channel 49 is interesting because I can get that channel working in just sound mode with a fuzzy analog picture but since Fox 25/48 doesn't have HD working I'm going to get a bigger antenna for outside so I can get Fox 9 with HD.

My setup is pretty good for now with a splitter that connects to the tv and has 2 antennas to it. Rabbit ears with tin foil around them and a uhf/vhf transformer with tin foil around the ends of the transformer. I get from 5-8 bars out of 10 on WEAU and WQOW and then since I live in Menomonie I get around 7-10 bars out of a maximum of 10 from PBS.
post #563 of 1558 Old 12-06-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholland View Post

Channel 49 is interesting because I can get that channel working in just sound mode with a fuzzy analog picture but since Fox 25/48 doesn't have HD working I'm going to get a bigger antenna for outside so I can get Fox 9 with HD.

My setup is pretty good for now with a splitter that connects to the tv and has 2 antennas to it. Rabbit ears with tin foil around them and a uhf/vhf transformer with tin foil around the ends of the transformer. I get from 5-8 bars out of 10 on WEAU and WQOW and then since I live in Menomonie I get around 7-10 bars out of a maximum of 10 from PBS.

A channel master 4228 should get you most of the Twin Cities digital stations from Menomonie.
post #564 of 1558 Old 12-07-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboeau View Post

A channel master 4228 should get you most of the Twin Cities digital stations from Menomonie.

Yep,
That is what I will be purchasing next in the near feature. I have NBC, ABC, PBS right now but Fox (9) and CBS (4) from Minnesota it won't pick up with my small antenna. But I'm amazed though the channels I can pick up with rabbit ears and a uhf/vhf transformer. About 6 years ago I used to live on one of the higher hills in Menomonie and did I ever pick (analog) channels. I remember if I adjusted the rabbit ears I could pick up 2,4,5,8,9,13,18,28,29,45,48.
post #565 of 1558 Old 12-08-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebohn View Post

..........and NFL games, baseball playoff, world series, NASCAR and then all of their shows,

Anybody have a credible update on WLAX's HD status? I heard spring, but I'm sure it was just a rumor.
post #566 of 1558 Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFoxHD View Post

Anybody have a credible update on WLAX's HD status? I heard spring, but I'm sure it was just a rumor.

I emailed them about 10 days ago, and they've not responded. I think that's a good indicator of their progress. No good.
post #567 of 1558 Old 12-10-2007, 03:50 AM

Boy, it was nice watching the Packers yesterday on CBS in HIGH DEFINITION with an antenna!

If only the rest of this season was on CBS....
post #568 of 1558 Old 12-10-2007, 09:02 AM

I e-mailed Fox 55 last week for an update too, but no response. Nothing must be happening. Very, very poor customer service. Thank God for Sunday Ticket and DirecTV.
post #569 of 1558 Old 12-12-2007, 04:14 PM

How do you get Packer games on the Ticket if you're in their home market? Don't you have to go through a local affiliate?
post #570 of 1558 Old 12-14-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott72 View Post

How do you get Packer games on the Ticket if you're in their home market? Don't you have to go through a local affiliate?

If you have the Superfan HD package the games are never blacked out, even in the home market.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page