Advertisement

post #632 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAss88GT View Post

How can they broadcast over cable but not OTA? I dont understand.

If the cable company runs fibre/cable into the TV Station's facility, the cable company can pull the signal from whatever source the TV Station gives it.

The signal doesn't necessarily have to be the OTA signal itself...

Therefore, if Charter had wanted to put fibre into our building and tie into the FOX gear we had here, Charter could have had the '07 Football season in 720p all along.

But, money matters to those that want more, and in this case, Charter felt the money needed to stay in their hands.

In the mean time, it's our fault we didn't have HD for the past Football Season...

Respectfully,

Mark
post #633 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbear View Post

Anyone know if the Onalaska Charter will carry this? It would be nice.

Hopefully, with the rest of the wiring that NEEDS to be COMPLETED this afternoon, FOX will be in true HD, starting at 1800...

Once that's done, I believe CHARTER does have the gear available to take the OTA signal and get it onto their system...

As I understand it (Keep in mind, this may be a rumor...), CHARTER will have WLAX-DT (25.1/HD) on in the Onalaska-area systems. THEY MAY, ALSO, have WLAX-DT (25.1/HD) on in the Eau Claire-area systems. YOU WILL NEED TO CALL YOUR LOCAL CHARTER OFFICE AND VERIFY THIS INFORMATION - AT THIS TIME, I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE OR NOT. PLEASE CALL CHARTER FOR THE OFFICIAL "WORD FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH."

Respectfully,

Mark
post #634 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregener View Post

In some cases, for stations that lack the OTA facilities, it allows them to send HD signals to the local cable companies. DirecTV and Dish both have antenna systems at their uplink facilities for LiL.

The DishNet system, for the La Crosse/Eau Claire Market is a single-end pickup point (site non-disclosable) that went on the air a few years ago.

The FOLLOWING year, DirecTV approached all the parties involved in the DishNet system and gave everyone the impression that they (DirecTV) would be going on with their own system. Then, about a week before they were suppose to start, they called everyone involved and cancelled out of their contracts...

Then, to everyone's surprise, about a week later, they announced that they would be going on the "bird" around their original "on-air" date.

As it turned out, DirecTV had a bit of a disagreement w/one of the support services and they couldn't quite work out the details to their satisfaction. They cancelled the contracts with the other "vendors" and then proceeded to work out a deal with their competitor, DishNet.

So, what you're viewing off satellite (If you're a DirecTV customer) is a "re-purposed" retransmitted picture of DishNet's product. Dishnet picks up WXOW (ABC), WHLA (PBS), WKBT (CBS), WEAU (NBC) & WLAX (FOX) and re-sells the signal to DirecTV, who, in turn, sells that batch of signals to you, their customers.

Believe me, if you knew what the rack-gear, alone, cost DishNet when they first went on-line, let alone the added costs of UPS systems and fibre-optics to get the signal from the La Crosse/Eau Claire area back to Colorado, you would have made the kind of deal I believe DishNet and DirecTV made.

BOTTOM LINE? In this market (La Crosse/Eau Claire), one source for all your satellite viewing pleasure, courtesy of DishNet and their initial capital outlay.

Enjoy the viewing!

Respectfully,

Mark
post #635 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy4041 View Post

This is positive news, now when is it Eau Claire's WEUX turn? Any idea?

At this time, WEUX has ordered a new antenna (to replace the one we have at the Xmtr. site now) and we should expect delivery of that unit sometime around the 4th of July...

Then...we need to go off the air (48.0/Analog) for a few days while we remove the old unit, put the new one in place, "sweep" and test it, then put it (48.0) back on the air and then the 48.1 (Digital) Xmtr. on the new antenna too! One Antenna - Two Stations - From the same location!

I'm hoping before the Football season starts - everything will be HD and Full/Near-full powered.

Later!

Respectfully,

Mark
post #636 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRR View Post

That sentence must have felt very good to write! Thanks for the great news, Mark. Now if we can only get DTV to carry all these HD locals....

I'm about 10 miles NE of FOX 25's tower and, with some maneuvering, I pulled in 25.1 with an indoor antenna (Philips MANT940) hooked directly to my DTV HR20 but I'm guessing my wife will never let me keep it draped over the family portrait, even for HD. Looks like I'll need that outdoor antenna after all.

Larry

Good thought!

Don't you wish you worked on that a few days ago?

Dang this Wisconsin/Minnesota weather!!!

Respectfully,

Mark
post #637 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott72 View Post

Fantastic, now only if my cable co would pick it up. No chance for OTA in my area, plus too far away from your tower.

Contact you cable provider today...maybe they already have something in the works for when WLAX finally went HD!

Good luck!

Respectfully,

Mark
post #638 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott72 View Post

Fantastic, now only if my cable co would pick it up. No chance for OTA in my area, plus too far away from your tower.

Contact your cable provider today...maybe they already had something already in the works for when WLAX finally went HD!

Good luck!

Respectfully,

Mark
post #639 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeway36 View Post

To Charter: Eau Claire please!

Contact CHARTER and see what they will be providing in the HD tier...it may be WLAX-DT ... at least for the "Big Game" and a bit beyond...

BUT, call 'em...you'll never find out unless you ask.

Respectfully,

Mark
post #640 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgburg View Post

Good thought!

Don't you wish you worked on that a few days ago?

Dang this Wisconsin/Minnesota weather!!!

Indeed.

And in honor of the Packers (what could have been...), I'll put up that antenna sleeveless.

Larry
post #641 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Just wanted to say I have Charter in Tomah and I'm getting the WLAX station over clear Qam on channel 108.5. The info states that it is a 720p signal.
post #642 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Contact you cable provider today...maybe they already have something in the works for when WLAX finally went HD!

Good luck!

Called them this afternoon and complained again about the commercials they continue to air here claiming we get all of our locals in HD for free when it's simply not true. My local ABC (KCRG Cedar Rapids) has been broadcasting HD for many years now and I STILL don't have it here in HD despite having one of Mediascam's HD tuners. They told me maybe sometime in 2009. I'm in a small market (Prairie Du Chien). They don't give a **** about us here.
post #643 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 02:06 PM

OH MY!!!! FOX in HD OTA!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA - GOD BLESS MY 30 DOLLAR ANTENNA - GOD BLESS MGBURG!

(am I gonna have to change my screen name?)
post #644 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...let alone the added costs of UPS systems and fibre-optics to get the signal from the La Crosse/Eau Claire area back to Colorado, you would have made the kind of deal I believe DishNet and DirecTV made.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but it would surprise me if Dish is really sending the locals to their central office. Spot-beams work two ways - up and down. So the uplink can happen locally, meaning no need to send the signal all the way out to Colorado to get it up to the bird.

If, on the other hand, Dish was really carting all their LiL signals to their central office, they'd have to turn around and send them right back - they'd run out of uplink space long before they'd cover the country with LiL.

All of this assumes that Dish is using Spot beams.
post #645 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank78 View Post

Just wanted to say I have Charter in Tomah and I'm getting the WLAX station over clear Qam on channel 108.5. The info states that it is a 720p signal.

Yep here in Onalaska Charter has it at 108.5 (in clear QAM also)!

Took a bit to get the HDHomerun to pick it up, God Bless Windows Media Center!
post #646 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregener View Post

I'm not 100% sure of this, but it would surprise me if Dish is really sending the locals to their central office. Spot-beams work two ways - up and down. So the uplink can happen locally, meaning no need to send the signal all the way out to Colorado to get it up to the bird.

If, on the other hand, Dish was really carting all their LiL signals to their central office, they'd have to turn around and send them right back - they'd run out of uplink space long before they'd cover the country with LiL.

All of this assumes that Dish is using Spot beams.

Dish uses Spot beams for sure.
post #647 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 PM

I got home only to find that my OTA setup is not getting the signal. I do get CBS and ABC signals here in Holmen, though, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Antennaweb.org does show it as available for my address. The compass orientation is only 1 degree (217) different than ABC (216) so it seems like it should just work. The distance away is only a few tenths of a mile different than the others, as well. Any ideas? I have DirecTV and re-did the OTA setup but it shows a 3% signal strength. I don't think I can move the antenna around much as it is zip-tied to the dish.
post #648 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM

Excellent news Mark. Got the email from you today. Don't do any of the OTA, just use Charter Digital, but I'm sure they will be carrying the signal very soon. Thanks for the update!!
post #649 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Liked: 11
Eau Claire Charter customers, try 102.5 for HD Fox.
post #650 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 04:50 PM

Hmm, looks like I'm not the only one having a problem. One of the posters in the blog/article below has the same problem with 3% signal strength. Is anyone outside of La Crosse getting the signal?

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...ate/08wlax.txt
post #651 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 05:00 PM

I'm getting it perfect near the Town of Holland Airport. (North of Holmen) Directional antenna IN my garage.
post #652 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFoxHD View Post

I'm getting it perfect near the Town of Holland Airport. (North of Holmen) Directional antenna IN my garage.

What direction is your antenna facing? It seems odd that my antenna can pick the others up just fine but not Fox.
post #653 of 1557 Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 PM

I've got 2 tied together - one is facing FOX - (which also picks up 19.1) and the other is facing 13.1. They each have about 3 feet of coax going to a splitter (must be EXACT same length if you have 2 directional antennas hooked up),.... and then about 30 feet runs along the back of my house and into my utility room. I do have an amp right after the antenna splitter (power in the house of course). Every signal is VERY strong except for FOX,.... but it's strong enough to stay locked without any glitches.

DAMN it looked nice tonight!!!
post #654 of 1557 Old 01-30-2008, 08:55 AM

I too am having the same problem as Schlar01. I have always been able to get the SD channel 25, but the picture has I think what you call "ghosting". I tuned to channel 17 and I get nothing. Is 17 the right channel?

I have a Zenith ZHDTV1Z indoor antenna resting above the ductwork in my basement. I can get WKBT, WXOW, and PBS. I live between Holmen and Onalaska. I plan to try moving my antenna around tonight, but am I fighting a losing battle. Is there a better indoor antenna to use? Would the attic be better? My wife does not want an outdoor antenna.

NoFoxHD, what kind of antennas are you using? How are they mounted? Is 13.1 the NBC HD feed?

mgburg, does WLAX plan on boosting the power?

Thanks,
Bill
post #655 of 1557 Old 01-30-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btb79 View Post

I too am having the same problem as Schlar01. I have always been able to get the SD channel 25, but the picture has I think what you call "ghosting". I tuned to channel 17 and I get nothing. Is 17 the right channel?

I have a Zenith ZHDTV1Z indoor antenna resting above the ductwork in my basement. I can get WKBT, WXOW, and PBS. I live between Holmen and Onalaska. I plan to try moving my antenna around tonight, but am I fighting a losing battle. Is there a better indoor antenna to use? Would the attic be better? My wife does not want an outdoor antenna.

NoFoxHD, what kind of antennas are you using? How are they mounted? Is 13.1 the NBC HD feed?

mgburg, does WLAX plan on boosting the power?

Thanks,
Bill

It would be interesting trying what NoFoxHD did with two antennas.

Let me know if you need any help moving that antenna bro.
post #656 of 1557 Old 01-30-2008, 05:13 PM

Fox HD is now on 102.5 thru Charter in Menomonie. Still no ABC or CBS hi-def over QAM here yet.
post #657 of 1557 Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM

I am not a charter customer, but there website claims that FOX HD is now on channel 785 through there lifeline channels. This was not the case yesterday. As much as I hate to say it, I think charter is an option I might have to consider.
post #658 of 1557 Old 01-30-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy4041 View Post

I am not a charter customer, but there website claims that FOX HD is now on channel 785 through there lifeline channels. This was not the case yesterday. As much as I hate to say it, I think charter is an option I might have to consider.

Yes indeed. Just checked 785 and it's HD! Woohoo! Bout time! Party!
post #659 of 1557 Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 PM

How is the quality through charter.

I am thinking about adding there very basic service along with my dish.
post #660 of 1557 Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM

I've got charter, but I'm using my QAM tuner to pick up fox/abc/cbs/abc through their cable network (I'm in Chippewa Falls). I'm VERY geeked about fox finally being in hd...albeit after the packer season...

Very good quality! Although I do think I'm starting to notice a slight difference between 1080i and 720p....but I could be talking out of my ass.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page