LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1558 Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm....tuned to Lacrosse's PBS last nite for the first time in a few months and noticed that its HD channel is now at 720p instead of the 1080i that it had been. Just an observation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1558 Old 03-27-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodden_skier View Post

Anyone else's new TLC and Discovery HD messed up? Mine goes about 90% across the screen, and has a small black bar on each side. All the other HD channels are fine and go all the way across. It isn't 4:3, which takes up about 60% of the screen with BIG black bars on each side...this is different. Anyone else have the same issue?

I see the same thing. But... it isn't 100% of the time on these channels. I have seen a program or two (and a few commercials) fill the entire screen. Is it possible it is supposed to look this way?
post #723 of 1558 Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Around the first of the year, PBS added a new channel for PBS 2 DT: The Wisconsin Channel. At the same time, they updated their equipment. The new equipment broadcasts PBS 5 HD in 720p. The old equipment was indeed 1080i. You may need to change the setting on your TV for PBS 5. PBS 5 broadcasts in 720p HD...in 16/9 widescreen format.

Bill
post #724 of 1558 Old 03-29-2008, 07:15 PM

OK, just to be clear - channels 8 and 13 will be moving back to 8 and 13 (instead of 41 and 39) for ATSC FEB 2009?

The reason I ask is that I currently have two non-rotating rooftop antennas. The UHF is pointing west, and the VHF is pointing basicly north. I get the (H)DTV UHF stations OK, but not 8/13 (which makes sense since my UHF antenna is not pointed the right way). I DO get analog 8 and 13 OK (though 13 can sometimes be not the greatest). I don't want to get a new UHF antenna if I don't have to.

thanks
Brian
(LaCrescent, MN)
post #725 of 1558 Old 03-29-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscary View Post

Around the first of the year, PBS added a new channel for PBS 2 DT: The Wisconsin Channel. At the same time, they updated their equipment. The new equipment broadcasts PBS 5 HD in 720p. The old equipment was indeed 1080i. You may need to change the setting on your TV for PBS 5. PBS 5 broadcasts in 720p HD...in 16/9 widescreen format.

Bill

I had no problem with them switching to 720. I'm not sure I'll ever see the difference between the two with the TVs I'm likely to have, the distances I'll be viewing them from, and the condition of these aging eyes.

I assumed it was a tactic to free up a bit of bandwidth and it did get me wondering if it was sign of things to come from other broadcasters.

With the talk over the last few months or so about cable/sat channels claiming HD but delivering HDlite, it had me thinking about something they used to say about images on computer monitors years ago. The sum of it was that for an image like a photograph (as opposed to a line drawing like a draftsman would produce on a screen), it looks "better" to the human eye if you lean more towards color depth than pixel count. For example (just throwing out numbers here) a screen with 800 x 600 pixels and a palette of 64K different colors would look more realistic to the eye than an image the same size with 1280 x 1024 pixels and a palette of only 16K different colors.

Maybe all broadcasting will end up at 720, and leave 1080 to blueray.
post #726 of 1558 Old 03-29-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post

OK, just to be clear - channels 8 and 13 will be moving back to 8 and 13 (instead of 41 and 39) for ATSC FEB 2009?

The reason I ask is that I currently have two non-rotating rooftop antennas. The UHF is pointing west, and the VHF is pointing basicly north. I get the (H)DTV UHF stations OK, but not 8/13 (which makes sense since my UHF antenna is not pointed the right way). I DO get analog 8 and 13 OK (though 13 can sometimes be not the greatest). I don't want to get a new UHF antenna if I don't have to.

thanks
Brian
(LaCrescent, MN)

Yes Brian, La Crosse's CBS will be digital on 8 and Eau Claire's NBC will be digital on 13. Also, Rochester's NBC will be digital on 10, if that's any help to you.
post #727 of 1558 Old 04-02-2008, 12:53 PM

I am confused as to why you are getting 8 and 13 digital channels up on 41 and 39??? I get these digital stations as 8.1 and 8.2 and 13.1 off my roof antenna if my memory serves me correctly.

Dan
post #728 of 1558 Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Because they actually transmit on channels 41 and 39 but appear on your TV as such. It's called PSIP, and it's to allow stations to continue branding with their current channel, regardless of what channel they actually transmit on.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #729 of 1558 Old 04-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

I see the FCC has published the eighth Table of Allotments for DTV and WFXS is still listed as physical channel 50. Hopefully now they will finalize their transmitter and begin transmitting OTA.

Bill
post #730 of 1558 Old 04-06-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill,
Do you have a link as to where you found the information on the FCC web page?
post #731 of 1558 Old 04-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

I think this was it...from just a few days ago. The excel file.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...CC-08-72A2.xls

Here was the notice:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...A-08-631A1.pdf

Perhaps they have one last chance to petition for channel 30-something.

EDIT: Here is the FCC main query page. It also has links to all of the latest FCC documents.

http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/

Bill
post #732 of 1558 Old 04-13-2008, 03:53 PM

I live in downtown Eau Claire and can get 13.1, 13.2, 18.1, 18.2, and the 28 multi cast for my OTA digital. No cable or satellite either. Channel 8 WKBT can be grabbed in a very very poor analog from my residence. Also, oddly enough I pick up an analog 45 that is nothing but a staticcy blue screen that says "Recieving Channel Information"(see pic below) How weird! Anyone know what this is or could be? No programming has ever came through that I have noticed.

Now my WEUX question is: Why can I not pick up the digital 48.1 signal? I can pull in the analog 48 signal in very good quality. From my interpretation of what I read on the FCC website Chippewa Falls is the location of the signal.

Thanks!

post #733 of 1558 Old 04-13-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Hm, I looked around and this might be your channel 45:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=130843

Looking around, that station is apparently supposed to repeat KQEG-CA from La Crosse. The station used to be UPN but now is a general entertainment or religious station, something along those lines.

As far as 48-1, it's either not on the air or at extremely low power. Their last filing with the FCC indicates they intend to power up at the end of September.

Hope it helps, though you might want to wait for someone from your area to give you advice, since they'll know better than I do.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #734 of 1558 Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 PM

I'm a bit surprised that no one else has mentioned it, but it seems as though Charter has started blocking QAM Pay-Per-View content, as I haven't been able to see anything on Channel 110.x for almost a month now.

Also, is anyone else in the Wausau area getting signal bleed on 92.4? (Not sure 'bleed' is the right term for it; I have horizontal stripes from whatever channel I was watching prior to turning to 92.4 - WJFW HD.)
post #735 of 1558 Old 04-17-2008, 12:47 AM

BJKrautk,

Unfortunately I think that you are correct about Charter and the QAM as I noticed the same thing... although I can't say I'm too heartbroken - gets pretty annoying watching 2/3 of a show/movie and then someone skips all the way back to the beginning. Funny, I always had those channels show up on in the 91.x range.

I am cancelling my Charter this week anyways because they jacked up my monthly bill by more than double... (im a student and was on the 19.99/mo. internet access). I'll prob sign up again in a few months when they run a new promotion. What is the likelyhood that the non pay per view QAM channels will be gone by then?
post #736 of 1558 Old 04-18-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenben01 View Post

I live in downtown Eau Claire and can get 13.1, 13.2, 18.1, 18.2, and the 28 multi cast for my OTA digital. No cable or satellite either. Channel 8 WKBT can be grabbed in a very very poor analog from my residence. Also, oddly enough I pick up an analog 45 that is nothing but a staticcy blue screen that says "Recieving Channel Information"(see pic below) How weird! Anyone know what this is or could be? No programming has ever came through that I have noticed.

Now my WEUX question is: Why can I not pick up the digital 48.1 signal? I can pull in the analog 48 signal in very good quality. From my interpretation of what I read on the FCC website Chippewa Falls is the location of the signal.

Thanks!

I also live in Eau Claire and have a larger UHF antenna in my attic aimed toward lacrosse to get 8.1.

I am able to sometimes pick up 48.1 , but rarely. I am fairly convinced that if I aimed the antenna towards colfax I would do much better.

Since there is no HD being broadcast right now I dont even waste my time.
post #737 of 1558 Old 04-24-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenben01 View Post

Thanks!

I live on the North side of Eau Claire and with my UHF Antenna pointed slightly
to the south east I am able to get 8, 13, 18 and 28. Channel 8 out of La Crosse is actually stronger than 13. I get channel 8 around 80. To get channel 48 I need to turn the antenna to the Northwest. I suggest you check out antenna web at http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
type in your address and it will give you a visual on where exactly to point
your antenna to get channels. Good Luck!
post #738 of 1558 Old 05-19-2008, 04:23 AM

Hello,

I currently live in Holmen which is just north of La Crosse and I was wondering if anybody had any antenna recommendations. I would like to pull in the following...

WLAX - FOX - La Crosse
WXOW - ABC - La Crosse
WEAU - NBC - Eau Claire
WKBT - CBS - La Crosse

I can pretty much get everything but WEAU with an indoor antenna but I can't ditch cable without NBC. Any help would be great. Thanks
post #739 of 1558 Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 AM

Greetings...
I thought I would jump in and ask if anyone knows when Retro Television network will be added in the Wausau, La Crosse/Eau Claire, and Madison Markets?? It is suppose to be on WAOW 9.3, WYOW 34.3, WXOW (18.3?), WQOW (19.3?), and WKOW (27.3?) in the near future. If they are added on any of these stations please post it in here..

So far I haven't found any these on.. But the website for Retro Television Network http://www.rtnville.com/ is listening them on the air.
post #740 of 1558 Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgeiger View Post

Greetings...
I thought I would jump in and ask if anyone knows when Retro Television network will be added in the Wausau, La Crosse/Eau Claire, and Madison Markets?? It is suppose to be on WAOW 9.3, WYOW 34.3, WXOW (18.3?), WQOW (19.3?), and WKOW (27.3?) in the near future. If they are added on any of these stations please post it in here..

So far I haven't found any these on.. But the website for Retro Television Network http://www.rtnville.com/ is listening them on the air.

I just did a channel scan last night on a new HD tuner card and did not pick up WAOW 9.3. The Retro TV is news to me.
post #741 of 1558 Old 05-28-2008, 11:19 AM

I e-mailed Ion-TV and asked why nobody is receiving WTPX Antigo. I believe WTPX's transmitter is suppose to be located on the same tower as WFXS.

This is the e-mail I sent:

I was just checking in to see if the Ion station for the
Wausau/Rhinelander Wisconsin market (Call letters WTPX) has signed on
yet? The guides are showing the station is on the air but nobody in our
area can receive it. Is the station on the air yet? If not is there a
target date when the station might be on the air? I was just curious.. I
see the programming in the guides and would like to see the programs..
Thanks!!!

This is the reply I got:
WTPX is currently broadcasting only in the digital, which is
why you are probably not able to receive the channel. Please visit this
website http://www.dtv.gov/ to find out more information regarding
digital television. Thank you for contacting ION Media Networks.

IS THE STATION ON THE AIR OR NOT? IF SO WHY CAN'T ANYONE RECEIVE IT?
post #742 of 1558 Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the power so low you have to be within a few miles to get a signal?
post #743 of 1558 Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM

I am not sure if my first message made it.. I'll resend again..

It is possible they might be on a very low power. However, the signal should be strong enough to serve its city of license.. Here is the coverage map from the FCC database.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1018246.html
post #744 of 1558 Old 05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I should be able to pull in even a bad signal from the area on that map, no luck with my scan last week.
post #745 of 1558 Old 05-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Its probably on but on low power.. haha.. Unless you are a few miles from the tower in the middle of nowhere.. You probably can't get it.. LOL
post #746 of 1558 Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheley View Post

Hello,

I currently live in Holmen which is just north of La Crosse and I was wondering if anybody had any antenna recommendations. I would like to pull in the following...

WLAX - FOX - La Crosse
WXOW - ABC - La Crosse
WEAU - NBC - Eau Claire
WKBT - CBS - La Crosse

I can pretty much get everything but WEAU with an indoor antenna but I can't ditch cable without NBC. Any help would be great. Thanks

Good luck with Fox/NBC. I live in Holmen and can't get either one. I don't have a large antenna, though. ABC and CBS come in perfectly. I can't say which brand I have since Dean's satellite installed it at the same time that they installed my DirecTV dish. I'm hoping DirecTV adds our HD locals in August when the next satellite is supposed to become operational.
post #747 of 1558 Old 06-17-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlar01 View Post

Good luck with Fox/NBC. I live in Holmen and can't get either one. I don't have a large antenna, though. ABC and CBS come in perfectly. I can't say which brand I have since Dean's satellite installed it at the same time that they installed my DirecTV dish. I'm hoping DirecTV adds our HD locals in August when the next satellite is supposed to become operational.

Don't hold your breath on those locals from Directv. Even though they will have the capacity in Aug-Sept I am betting it will be months before LaX and EC and Wausau/Rhinelander get HD locals
post #748 of 1558 Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 AM

I live in Sparta, and I've been using my DISH ViP722 and a Vista Media Center to receive OTA HDTV signals with a Terrestrial Digital DB8 for the last year or so. When I first installed the antenna I was able to pick up WXOW and WHLA's HD signals. However, since around May 1st I haven't been able to pickup WXOW. Are they not transmitting as strongly as they were in the past?
post #749 of 1558 Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgburg View Post

WLAX-DT is broadcasting with 2.49kW of power...peanut power compared to WXOW-DT, WKBT-DT, WEAU-DT and WHLA-DT.

As I stated in various posts (many months ago), WLAX has to refurbish the current tower we're broadcasting from now. Until the weather clears, the refurbishing can't begin...

Within the coming few months, WLAX will be installing the new high-powered transmitter and when the refurbishing is completed, a new digital antenna will be installed on the tower, connections will be made from the xmtr., to the new transmission line, and then, to the new antenna...BIG BUCK$$$$$$$!

( That sucking sound, you hear in the backround, isn't your mother's HOOVER!!! )

The FCC is getting close to approving a CP (construction permit) that needed to be filed this past winter. Once that's done, then the weather has to "clear" enough that the rest of the projects can be started and pushed to completion...hopefully before the end of August...

What is the statuts on the transmitter upgrade? Will it be done by football season?

Thanks,
Bill
post #750 of 1558 Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btb79 View Post

What is the statuts on the transmitter upgrade? Will it be done by football season?

Thanks,
Bill

Along with that, what is the status of actually getting Fox48 in HD and powered, I know Mark had said hopefully by Football, is this still a go.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page