LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 1557 Old 10-13-2009, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For what it's worth, WPT is available off-air in Prairie du Chein via the Bloomington translator. Can't help you out with the other stations, but I've checked WPT reception in several places along HWY 35 right in town, and had solid reception with a simple 4 bay bowtie antenna @ 15'.

Ustabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1557 Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
At 2:10PM today, W50DR went on the air, from an antenna that is about 606 meters above sea level. Side mounted, the antenna is on the Wisconsin-side leg of the WXOW tower.
I am getting traces of it in Kasson, MN and it is at 15kW ERP, so it should get out well with decent LOS.
Rescan to get channels 10.1, 10.2

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #1383 of 1557 Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 AM

Awesome. Since I can almost see the WXOW tower from my house I'm hoping for good reception.

Brian
post #1384 of 1557 Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post

Awesome. Since I can almost see the WXOW tower from my house I'm hoping for good reception.

Brian

Please do report back!

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #1385 of 1557 Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 AM

I was watching KTTC news at noon today via W67CH, when they explained that W50DR has come online. HOORAY!! I rescanned immediately, and yes there it is! 10.1 is the HD KTTC/NBC signal, and 10.2 is CW (redundant with WXOW's 19.2).

Sunday Night Football will be a treat this week!

I'm a bit surprised that W67CH is still online today alongside W50DR, I assume W67CH will disappear shortly?
post #1386 of 1557 Old 10-15-2009, 02:45 PM

W50DR is coming in at 90-95%.
I can even get in on my office TV (inside antenna)

Brian
post #1387 of 1557 Old 10-15-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post

W50DR is coming in at 90-95%.
I can even get in on my office TV (inside antenna)

Brian

Cool!

KD0MOF

post #1388 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post

WFXS (Wittenberg-Wausau) has added Retro TV Network (RTV) on channel 55.3. The station continues to carry FOX on 55.1 and Untamed Sports TV on 55.2. (9/11/2009)

I really wish one of the La Crosse stations would pick up Retro TV as a subchannel. I really don't see the point of KTTC and WXOW both broadcasting the CW and WLAX just rebroadcasting it's HD channel in SD.
post #1389 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
KTTC and WXOW are in different markets.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1390 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdub View Post

I really wish one of the La Crosse stations would pick up Retro TV as a subchannel. I really don't see the point of KTTC and WXOW both broadcasting the CW and WLAX just rebroadcasting it's HD channel in SD.

As Trip said, WXOW carries CW for LAX and KTTC for the Rochester/Austin/Mason City market. The LAX translator (W50DR) for KTTC, just picks up KTTC-DT-10 OTA and effectively repeats it, so they have no way of controlling the programing on it independently...)

That said, WLAX would be a great place to put it, other then the fact that many cable head-ends probably use 25.2 for the SD feed to their clients...

KD0MOF

post #1391 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

As Trip said, WXOW carries CW for LAX and KTTC for the Rochester/Austin/Mason City market. The LAX translator (W50DR) for KTTC, just picks up KTTC-DT-10 OTA and effectively repeats it, so they have no way of controlling the programing on it independently...)

That said, WLAX would be a great place to put it, other then the fact that many cable head-ends probably use 25.2 for the SD feed to their clients...

That's true, but now that the W50DR repeater is operational to carry CW for the La Crosse market, you would think that there would be little incentive for WXOW to carry it anymore. After all, WXOW is listed as one of the RetroTV affiliates:

http://www.myretrotv.com/affiliates.html

Also, what prevents one of these stations from carrying 2 sub channels like WPT does?

Anyway, I just read about W50DR coming online today and I was surprised to find that I get very good reception (despite what TVFool led me to expect). I guess I get to try to sell the VHF antenna I bought for KTTC now.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...507ca15a380e7e
post #1392 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

That's true, but now that the W50DR repeater is operational to carry CW for the La Crosse market, you would think that there would be little incentive for WXOW to carry it anymore.

You have to think big picture here. W50DR is designed to cover the immediate LaCrosse, WI area, whereas WXOW is designed to cover the entire market area. There's a big difference. I'd also think that WXOW's CW is picked up by local analog cable, etc.. (Signal Hill CW [10.2] is on analog cable here in Rochester). Most people are probably going to watch their local network affiliate unless they have reason to do otherwise (picture quality, programming) so I don't know that 19.2 is going to loose a lot of viewers as 10.2 becomes available to the LaCrosse audience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tech 55901. Tech news for Rochester. Authored by mattdp and gjvrieze.

post #1393 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post

You have to think big picture here. W50DR is designed to cover the immediate LaCrosse, WI area, whereas WXOW is designed to cover the entire market area.

Yeah, but W50DR is a lot different than W67CH used to be in terms of coverage. It's more than just the immediate La Crosse, WI area now.

Before:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=TX145104.html

After:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...LD1256301.html

I see your point though. It's not the entire coverage area, but it's pretty significant coverage.
post #1394 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow... that is quite a difference in coverage.

I guess my point is, cable/satellite carriage and people watching the locals rather than translators is probably more of a factor than actual OTA coverage.

- Tech 55901. Tech news for Rochester. Authored by mattdp and gjvrieze.

post #1395 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Now that I'm getting W50DR so well, I'm wondering if I'll even be able to get KQEG once it goes digital.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=72207

Does anyone know when that's scheduled to happen?
post #1396 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Also keep in mind that W50DR is a translator. It exists primarily to fill in the hole for NBC programming left by WEAU being so far away. The cheapest way to operate it, considering it cannot be carried by local cable and is thus feeding only OTA viewers, is to feed the exact same signal that KTTC feeds. Doing anything to modify that signal requires a whole extra set of gear.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #1397 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post

Wow... that is quite a difference in coverage.

I guess my point is, cable/satellite carriage and people watching the locals rather than translators is probably more of a factor than actual OTA coverage.

Yeah, I often forget that WEAU is the "local" NBC affiliate for cable/satellite here. It seems so strange to have a local channel from Eau Claire when it's so far away and KTTC is what's broadcast OTA.
post #1398 of 1557 Old 10-19-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I often forget that WEAU is the "local" NBC affiliate for cable/satellite here. It seems so strange to have a local channel from Eau Claire when it's so far away and KTTC is what's broadcast OTA.

Remember that well the WEAU tower favors the Eau Claire side of the market, it is in between LAX and Eau Claire. It is not impossible for MOST people to receive it in either city. But in La Crosse it takes a pretty decent VHF-HI antenna/amp...

KD0MOF

post #1399 of 1557 Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 AM

I'm confused about the call letters for KTTC's digital translator in La Crosse. The channel reports itself as W50DR, but isn't this it's entry in the FCC database, still listed as W67CH? http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=W67CH

I also noticed that the TitanTV web site didn't know about W50DR, but did list a W67CH-D.
post #1400 of 1557 Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunmanik View Post

I'm confused about the call letters for KTTC's digital translator in La Crosse. The channel reports itself as W50DR, but isn't this it's entry in the FCC database, still listed as W67CH? http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=W67CH

I also noticed that the TitanTV web site didn't know about W50DR, but did list a W67CH-D.

It will take a while for the FCC database to get updated. I do not know how long, but I am guessing that Trip will be along any second with a better estimate....

As to TitanTV, lots of emails is usually what it takes...

KD0MOF

post #1401 of 1557 Old 10-20-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Once the license is granted.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #1402 of 1557 Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Now that I'm getting W50DR so well, I'm wondering if I'll even be able to get KQEG once it goes digital.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=72207

Does anyone know when that's scheduled to happen?

FWIW, I sent KQEG an email and they got back to me. As of right now, it sounds like their transition to digital hasn't gotten any farther then getting the FCC permit which looks like it is only a couple of months old. I'm really hoping that they move ahead with it soon. Like with W50DR, it looks like they will be significantly increasing their broadcast range. I'm looking forward to Reno911! syndication and midnight movies if I can manage to receive it.
post #1403 of 1557 Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 AM

OK, I talked with Mediacom yesterday and they still have no idea when they will transmit FOX 25/48 in HD on their system and I am ready to experiment with a long-range UHF antenna with preamp and see if I can receive the signal off the air here in Prairie du Chien.

Before I do that, I'd like to ask a basic question to confirm: FOX 25/48 does transmit their signal (specifically the Packers) in HD over the air, correct?

Thanks in advance to your responses....
post #1404 of 1557 Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m and n View Post

OK, I talked with Mediacom yesterday and they still have no idea when they will transmit FOX 25/48 in HD on their system and I am ready to experiment with a long-range UHF antenna with preamp and see if I can receive the signal off the air here in Prairie du Chien.

Before I do that, I'd like to ask a basic question to confirm: FOX 25/48 does transmit their signal (specifically the Packers) in HD over the air, correct?

Thanks in advance to your responses....

Yes, WLAX does transmit the NFL in HD and does favor Packers games over Vikings games in the same time slot *shakes fist*.

I worry that you may have a really hard time getting WLAX down in the valley there. Thankfully, you probably have a long shot over the river valley before hitting the Iowa bluffs though. You might want to drive around town looking for any newer-looking fringe antennas on people's roofs to get an idea of what others might be using.

Edit: Actually, tvfool.com seems to think that you should not have too hard of a time getting WLAX with a good antenna and booster.
post #1405 of 1557 Old 10-21-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Best antenna for WLAX and WHLA is the Winegard HD-8800. It has more gain in the lower UHF channels (especially at RF-17) then the 91XG. It will be a bit (2-4dB) weaker at WXOW (RF-48) but if WLAX is what you are after, you will want every bit of gain on RF-17 that you can get. That the Winegard HD-8800 is....

KD0MOF

post #1406 of 1557 Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 AM

I'll second the HD-8800. Just get that antenna mounted as high as possible down in the valley.

Andy Crowner
Winegard Company

For more information including Product Manuals, Engineering Specifications and questions answered by Winegard technicians please visit
post #1407 of 1557 Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 AM

Would a corner reflector style of antenna work better than a bowtie?
post #1408 of 1557 Old 10-22-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m and n View Post

Would a corner reflector style of antenna work better than a bowtie?

It depends on how it was engineered. The Winegard HD-8800 is the best signal consumer antenna for UHF channels below RF-30. I like the Antenna Direct 91XG better for channels above RF-35.

I live in Kasson, MN and get WHLA, WXOW, and WLAX off a 91XG with CM7777 pre-amp very well day and night, but I up high in the air. For the Twin Cities, I switched out a 91XG for a HD-8800 and the lower UHF channels improved a bit while KSTC-DT-45 went down a bit...

KD0MOF

post #1409 of 1557 Old 11-04-2009, 08:12 PM

W67CH, the analog KTTC translator station in La Crosse, is off the air as of tonight, Wed. November 4 2009. It was still on the air as of this morning.

Anyone happen to be able to confirm that this is the permanent end of W67CH, having been replaced with digital translator station W50DR?

Otherwise I'll just keep checking channel 67 for a while in case it reappears.
post #1410 of 1557 Old 11-06-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
WAOW-DT has applied for a power increase from 31.6 kW to 63.2 kW.

Gilbert
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page